BBQ

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
What is your favorite BBQ? What region?

Dry or wet rub?

What is it that makes you want another plate?

There's a few of these threads floating around in the air.

KC BBQ is the best. Joe's is the best place. Burnt ends, sausage, brisket. Night of the living BBQ sauce is perfect.

I have questions for you. I looked for the thread but clearly did not search well. I'll find one and ask questions there.

I've had it all and live in NC, and while it's very good here, KC is my favorite, followed by Memphis.

KC has a slew of great spots, but I like Jack's Stack. Killer sauce, amazing beans that are apparently cooked with some of the pork fat, and those burnt ends are awesome. Overall, very hard to beat if you prefer the molasses/tomato based bbq sauce.

In Memphis, it's hard to ignore the dry rubs at Rendezvous. The vibe is fantastic, great history, and even if you love bbq sauce on your bbq, you won't miss it here. Stuff is that good.

Brisket in Texas is great, but I am not sure I can point to a favorite spot. At some point it's splitting hairs between who does it better, IMO.

Yes. Why is KC the best in your opinion? I had another question but forgot.

I'm assuming the sauce is extra hot? Night of the Living that is.
It's the whole experience. The scene, the sides, the atmosphere...mostly the taste though. It's spicy, somewhat sweet. Bolder taste than most. The sauce isn't super hot, but, the more that you add, the hotter that it gets. I love hot and spicy! I used to live in KC for a few years. I'm not a Chefs fan in any way, shape, or form. I went there for my job at the time (telecom). I used to hate BBQ. I only tasted the sweet sauce. I wasn't a fan of that. When my co-workers suggested going to Oklahoma Joe's (it used to be called that), the original place was in the back of an old gas station. It looked like a joke kinda. It was PACKED! Lines outside. When I tried my food, I was immediately a fan forever afterward! KICK ASS FOOD!

get

I want to try this sauce... :coffee:

get

I want to try this sauce... :coffee:

It's very sweet. My wife likes it. I hate it.
You're gonna think I'm nuts but a great base to start with is
41+SPiQZN9L.jpg

Over some 25 years of trying to perfect a BBQ sauce this is my go-to for modifying the way I want when I don't want to do homemade.
It's better than most by itself and it lends itself very well to altering to your taste.
You can add brown sugar (dark) for sweetening or hot sauce for spicing it up or Peri Peri sauce for spicing and lots of great flavor.
Add vinegar for NC style or add smoke for a deep southwestern flavor or allspice for a jerk flavor. Do whatever you want and it comes out great every single time.
Not kidding. Not nuts.

It's very sweet. My wife likes it. I hate it.
You're gonna think I'm nuts but a great base to start with is
41+SPiQZN9L.jpg

Over some 25 years of trying to perfect a BBQ sauce this is my go-to for modifying the way I want when I don't want to do homemade.
It's better than most by itself and it lends itself very well to altering to your taste.
You can add brown sugar (dark) for sweetening or hot sauce for spicing it up or Peri Peri sauce for spicing and lots of great flavor.
Add vinegar for NC style or add smoke for a deep southwestern flavor or allspice for a jerk flavor. Do whatever you want and it comes out great every single time.
Not kidding. Not nuts.
Add cayenne pepper and it might taste decent...

I have one rule, if it is smothered in sauce on the plate, it isn't BBQ.

Real BBQ is dry rubbed, smoked, or slow boiled in apple cider vinegar, mustard, and pepper. It's not grilled and covered in some dumbed up version of catsup.

I never did slow boiled... but all day slow cook in oven and finish off on the stove top with some " dumbed up proprietary sauce" .. and that changes based on my mood or event. :)

Real BBQ is dry rubbed, smoked, or slow boiled in apple cider vinegar, mustard, and pepper. It's not grilled and covered in some dumbed up version of catsup.
* ketchup Yep, I went there. 😂

Individual preference I'd say. A little sauce works very well with pulled pork. For Brisket or beef or pork ribs, sauce isn't my preferred since the rub gets to so much of the meat.
I've been smoking meat for 25 years with many different smokers and I find it's good all kinds of different ways for different people.
For instance, for chicken I love the Alabama White Sauce and everyone I serve it to loves it, too.
I've rarely had smoked meat I don't like. It's usually because the meat has too much smoke but that doesn't happen often.

Individual preference I'd say. A little sauce works very well with pulled pork. For Brisket or beef or pork ribs, sauce isn't my preferred since the rub gets to so much of the meat.
I've been smoking meat for 25 years with many different smokers and I find it's good all kinds of different ways for different people.
For instance, for chicken I love the Alabama White Sauce and everyone I serve it to loves it, too.
I've rarely had smoked meat I don't like. It's usually because the meat has too much smoke but that doesn't happen often.What
What flavor profile is this?

Here's the best recipe for white sauce I've found. This is Big Bob Gibson's contribution to BBQ.
It's mayonnaise based but, believe me, you can't taste the mayo by the time you're done with it.
It's creamy and rich and has as much punch as you want. It's perfect for chicken.
I spatchcock my chickens, smoke them, let them cool a bit then dip them in the sauce before serving. I haven't had anyone not come back for 2nds.

Here's the best recipe for white sauce I've found. This is Big Bob Gibson's contribution to BBQ.
It's mayonnaise based but, believe me, you can't taste the mayo by the time you're done with it.
It's creamy and rich and has as much punch as you want. It's perfect for chicken.
I spatchcock my chickens, smoke them, let them cool a bit then dip them in the sauce before serving. I haven't had anyone not come back for 2nds.

Awesome, we can make that. Thanks.

I got hooked on the BBQ competition they use to have on I think History Channel, but not sure, and it opened our eyes to the wonderful world of BBQ

Back