Belichick, Brady and co discuss LG

Roberto71

Reaction score
Even they've seen nothing like what he brings to the table before. He's hard to compare to other RBs either playing now or previously.

A great season, he's turned 30 and really continues to impress. Big game from him, White and Lewis I think tonight.

During career year, LeGarrette Blount's unique style stands out to Patriots

Mike Reiss

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Everyone, including New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, was stumped.

The question was about running back LeGarrette Blount, who is having the best season of his seven-year NFL career, entering Week 14 ranking fifth in the NFL in rushing yards (957) and No. 1 in rushing touchdowns (13). If Blount scores a rushing touchdown Monday night against the stingy Baltimore Ravens (ESPN, 8:30 p.m. ET), he will tie Curtis Martin’s single-season Patriots record (set in 1996).

So, in terms of playing style, who does the 6-foot, 250-pound Blount remind Brady, head coach Bill Belichick and others of?

No one, it seems, can come up with the answer.

“That’s a unique style. I don’t think there have been many like him, I really don’t,” said Brady, now in his 17th NFL season. “We’ve played [former New York Giant] Brandon Jacobs [6-4, 264], he was a big back. But someone that’s big and shifty, it’s hard to find, and that plays both styles -- one play it’s one style and the next play it’s the next style. That’s a hard thing to defend.”

Belichick, with 42 seasons on his NFL résumé, also struggled to find a comparable.

“That’s a good question. I don’t know if there’s a lot of guys really that I would compare him to right off the bat,” he said, later allowing that there is some connection to Corey Dillon (6-1, 225) and Ottis Anderson (6-2, 220) because they combined skill and athleticism with their size. “You see him making some tough runs and running guys over, and then you see him hurdling guys like in the Miami game [Sept. 18], and then you see an open-field run like he had last week against the Rams where he kind of spun the safety around and ran by him [on a 43-yard TD run].

“So he’s got a good combination of moves and style. It’s not all one thing. He’s effective. He’s got an effective stiff-arm. He can be elusive, he can be powerful. And he’s got good run vision. It’s hard to find another guy like him.”

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who has been in the NFL since 2001, said parts of Dillon, Steven Jackson (6-2, 240) and Antowain Smith (6-2, 232) might qualify when thinking about a Blount-style runner. It starts with the size, but Blount, in some ways, also has the shiftiness of a smaller back.

“Corey was an incredibly big man; ran hard, incredible size and power. Steven was a big guy, had good feet, great speed, [but] LG is really a different animal than most backs,” McDaniels said, adding that Blount’s ability to create yards after contact while limiting turnovers has been impressive. “He’s got a really rare blend of size and speed and elusiveness and vision.”

The rarity of Blount’s combination of size and skill set is what has particularly stood out to Brady, who has noticed the struggles that defenses have encountered with him this year.

“He’s a big back, very, very hard to tackle that has great lateral quickness, which makes him even harder to tackle because I think it makes the defenders very uncertain on how to get him on the ground," Brady said. "Cut him, and he jumps over you. Or they go in at a normal pad level and he gets low and destroys them.

“So I think it’s a really hard thing for a defensive back when you have someone running at you who is 250 pounds. You’re thinking, ‘How am I going to get this guy on the ground?’ Because he has all the moves. And once he gets by you, people don’t catch him.”

When informed of Brady’s remarks, Blount flashed a smile that has been hard to miss from him this season. Unlike some other years of his career, when he encountered on- and off-field turbulence in Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh, Blount is clearly in a good place with the Patriots, where he cites a strong support system for helping him achieve his potential. Then there are positive developments off the field for him, which include his faith and his fiancée, Merissa.

“A lot of things trickle down to the way I’m playing, and all of those play a factor,” he said.

Improved offensive line play by the Patriots, which has coincided with the return of longtime offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia after a two-year retirement, is a big part of it, too.

So is Blount’s commitment to his health, as his 2015 season ended almost one year ago to the day with a hip injury in a win over the Houston Texans. Blount said rehabbing with fellow running back Dion Lewis, who was coming back from a torn ACL, was instrumental as he never doubted he would return to form.

In past years, the Patriots have favored more of a rotation with their big, power running backs, but not in 2016. It’s been all Blount, who turned 30 on Dec. 5, which he said is something he appreciates because “it takes a lot to get their trust, and it takes a lot more to keep it.”

As for his unique style of play, Blount seemed to like that Brady, Belichick, McDaniels & Co. couldn’t easily come up with a running back who was a carbon copy.

“I’ve never been asked that question,” he said, when asked if there was a player he’d pick. “I don’t compare my style to anybody; it’s just a unique thing. There are not a lot of guys you can compare to.

“I’m a big guy, with nice feet and can run a little bit. I haven’t drawn a lot of comparisons to a lot of running backs because I feel like I’m one of the first ones to be this big that can run this fast and be this elusive and agile in the open field.”

Think it's safe to say almost all of us were wrong about Blount this off-season.

He's a major chess piece at this point and will be critical if NE is to make a run at the SB.

Think it's safe to say almost all of us were wrong about Blount this off-season.

He's a major chess piece at this point and will be critical if NE is to make a run at the SB.

Yep. I'm pretty amazed at how good he's been. A sniff of open turf and he has real gas and great running ability. And he is a huge man. You see him in those post game locker videos and the guy is as big as anyone in the room. Never would have thought he'd be this effective. I thought he was a very mediocre RB.

So Bill Belichick was right, and almost everyone else was wrong (including me, I thought LG was just-another-guy at this point in his career).

66269524.jpg

I hope this isn't a sign the Pats are going to test the Ravens' defensive front early with Blount over and over and over tonight. (unless it's wildly successful which I doubt) I'd rather see Josh use our best player's arm to full advantage rather than butting heads needlessly.

I hope this isn't a sign the Pats are going to test the Ravens' defensive front early with Blount over and over and over tonight. (unless it's wildly successful which I doubt) I'd rather see Josh use our best player's arm to full advantage rather than butting heads needlessly.

To be honest you have to give it a shot, or atleast act like you want to. i think if we come out trying to throw ever down that will have the D on the field all night and we can all agree that might not be a good thing :)

#LegCarrot sure loves being a Patriot. nice to see.
i liked him as a runner but still thought the Pats needed a young power back too.
#manwasiwrong

I want Blount to put his head into the sternum of Suggs and cave in that cavity that most people have a heart in.

I was going to post that I want Suggs leaving Gillette holding his bottom and feeling like he was prison raped.

But you put it in a nicer way.

If he does we are going to be looking at a lot of 3rd and longs with a high pressure front 4 against a shaky at times oline, so in other words, maybe they should do something else.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

To be honest you have to give it a shot, or atleast act like you want to. i think if we come out trying to throw ever down that will have the D on the field all night and we can all agree that might not be a good thing :)

Whats worse, throwing every down, or running on every single 2nd and 10 for the entire game?

His best ever season in terms of total yards and number of TDs, Blount has been huge this year

blount has been a beast this year in goaline, short yardage and in the kill the clock offense. the very times the other team is playing run and he is still performing.

i never thought he had it in him to be this effective go leg carrot go!

to add to this thank you dante for the actual nfl caliber o-line and develin who was sorely missed last year in the running game.

blount has been a beast this year in goaline, short yardage and in the kill the clock offense. the very times the other team is playing run and he is still performing.

i never thought he had it in him to be this effective go leg carrot go!

to add to this thank you dante for the actual nfl caliber o-line and develin who was sorely missed last year in the running game.

I noted Gruden was highlighting Shaq Mason being very good in the pull for Blount. He singled out Thuney as well for this. Those guys are doing a great job in the run game.

I wish we would give him the ball every single time we are inside the 10. Last night we twice gave it to White and I have no idea why. He was stuffed both times.

I noted Gruden was highlighting Shaq Mason being very good in the pull for Blount. He singled out Thuney as well for this. Those guys are doing a great job in the run game.

The Pats have two very gifted guards and a extremely intelligent center who makes the same reads as Brady. This team is building a foundation for the future with only Solder being the free agent I think and the combined salary of the three interior is 1.5 mill with 310,000 in bonus money

if not for 24 seconds of failure, something Rode graders wife is very familiar with - two dropped balls and disappointment, this was a blow out.

Some compare LG to Mike Alstott, with Lewis compared to Warrick Dunn.

Probably the closest comparison out there.

Blount is fast becoming one of my favorite Pats RBs. Maybe not the best ever, but there's something about him that is so satisfying.

Also, who would have predicted White would develop enough to keep Lewis on the bench upon his return?

Back