Best QB evah?

I'll agree w/ that, but only to an extent. I think this past SB showed more than anything how much of a team game it is. It was a little strange to me how, just prior to the Butler play, Brady was about to be 3-3 and not close to Montana. But Butler makes a great play, and he surpasses Montana in the opinion of most who I have seen talk about it.

I mean, if victories are such a big part of it, how are we going to judge the career of a Rodgers, who will likely have to play the majority of his time with a coach like McCarthy - a very distinct disadvantage when it comes to the playoffs?

I think what Brady has done speaks for itself, and I'm okay w/ putting he & Montana at the top of the list. But I tend to reject the argument that actual SB victories (just on their own) are as big a factor as most make them out to be.

Such a Colts fan thing to say. If Peyton had made more Super Bowls perhaps you could put him in the discussion. He had huge command of the field in his prime and made my jaw drop several times but so have the likes of Kurt Warner and others.

It's impossible to conclusively argue for Brady vs Montana.

But the Peyton vs Brady argument was on it's last legs and now is completely dead and inarguable.

Peyton: 9 one and dones (most of which were as the favorite, at home)
Brady: 9 conference championship games

No, it's not impossible to argue Brady for Montana. I'll just throw out a few highlights as to why:

REGULAR SEASON:
Most 500-pt. seasons: Brady 4 /Montana Not in Top 5
Most wins in regular season: Brady 16 /Montana Not in Top 5
Winning percentage: Brady 773 (160-47) /Montana .713 (117-47)
Most Wins by Starting QB: Brady 160 /Montana Not in Top 5
Highest Avg. Pts. per game: Brady 28.1 Montana Not in Top 5
Pass completions: Brady 4,551 /Montana Not in Top 5
Passing TDs: Brady 392 / Montana Not in Top 5
Passer rating: Brady 95.9 /Montana Not in Top 5

POSTSEASON:
Most PS games: 29 23
Most PS victories: Brady 21 /Montana 16
Most PS game-winning drives: Brady 9 /Montana 5
Most PS win percentage (20+ games):Brady .724 (21-8)/ Montana .696 (16-7)
Most conference title appearances: Brady 9 (6-3) /Montana 7 (4-3)
Most wins in PS (50+ attempts): Brady 4 / Montana Not in Top 5
Most PS passing yds: Brady 7,345 /Montana 5,772
Most PS TD passes: Brady 53 /Montana 45
Most PS completions: Brady 683 /Montana Not in Top 5

SUPER BOWL:
Most SB completions: Brady 164 /Montana 83
Most SB passing yds: Brady 1,605 /Montana 1,142
Most SB TD passes: Brady 13 /Montana 11
Most completions in SB in one game: Brady 37 (SB49) /Montana Not in Top 5
32 (SB38)

So this is according to CHFF. On top of the 6 SB appearances, Brady beats Montana in virtually every category, some of which Montana doesn't even qualify for the top 5 QBs.

There is no question, even as of today while he's still playing, that Tom Brady is the greatest QB to have ever played in the NFL. Hands down.

If Brady isn't close to Montana at 3-3(one win behind), how is Peyton in the conversation at 1-2?

B84dn0GIUAAFx-i.jpg:large

Such a Colts fan thing to say. If Peyton had made more Super Bowls perhaps you could put him in the discussion. He had huge command of the field in his prime and made my jaw drop several times but so have the likes of Kurt Warner and others.

I don't think PM is in the conversation, though I'd still put him in the top 5.

It's just that, as I'm reading these discussions (on the ESPN board, NFL.com, etc.), the only thing people are talking about are SB victories & appearances. It actually makes me think of Rodgers more than anyone. McCarthy is like an albatross around that guy's neck. I happen to think Rodgers is the best QB in the game right now, and might warrant being part of the GOAT discussion if not for the postseason success.

But in his case, I put the lack of SB appearances & wins squarely on McCarthy, who I think would have a hard time keeping a job as HC if Rodgers wasn't his QB. The most recent loss to the 'Hawks couldn't illustrate that any better.

I mean, I happen to think that Steve Nash is the best PG of all time, but he never even made the finals. Unfortunately for him, he never had the coaching or team, and he played in the era of the Spurs.

I don't think PM is in the conversation, though I'd still put him in the top 5.

It's just that, as I'm reading these discussions (on the ESPN board, NFL.com, etc.), the only thing people are talking about are SB victories & appearances.

IMO, there's a difference between "the greatest" and " the best" which is what makes the discussion so subjective. There have been a lot of fantastic quarterbacks. Most people measure "greatness" by accomplishments over time. When the debate is looked at from this perspective, it's virtually impossible to deny Brady the top spot as he's clearly the most accomplished quarterback of the modern era.

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is clearly the "best" QB of the era. Without question he's clearly one of the best but making a case for Montana, Marino or Manning is doable as it's all subjective.

There are things that those three QB's did better than Brady which may put them ahead on someone's list if those things are important to an individual who is ranking these guys.

Personally I'd take Brady over those three but the margin is slim. I think that Montana, Marino and Manning are all distinctive quarterbacks. They are like great guitarists. You recognize who's playing within a few cords and that's true for those three.

Brady is different. He's more of an amalgam of the other three. Brady doesn't throw the soft catchable ball of Montana, the Marino bombs or have his insane release or have the otherworldly ball placement of Manning.

He did have, and still occasionally displays, Marino's incredible pocket presence while improving on his quick game prowess. He has Montana's presence and ability to patiently kill great defenses with simple repetitive concepts while also stepping up huge in the most pressure filled moments, and he has Manning's uncanny ability to streak through halves, games and series of games and occasionally full seasons which drives opposing players and fans to hatred.

Personally I don't feel that either Marino or Montana were nearly as consistent over the length of their careers as Brady or Manning have been. And neither Marino nor Montana could carry a team over a full season the way Brady and Manning have in their careers. Those two have never really had an off year if you give Manning a mulligan for his rookie effort. Montana had some pedestrian years and Marino was downright careless with the football tempering many of his great seasons which can't be said about Brady or Manning.

My personal rankings aren't much different than anyone else's. I think that Brady and Montana's superior play-off performances & pedigree separates them from Marino and Manning.

I believe that Brady should be ranked ahead of Montana not only due to greater team accomplishments but because of the success Brady's teams have had when they had no right other than his performance in many cases.

Where Manning and Marino most often wilted under the hot lights of the play-offs, Brady has most often thrived. Six late drives in Super Bowls, machine like performances in division round game after division round game, coming up huge late vs the Raiders in 2001, late v Rams in XXXVI, late v Carolina in XXXVIII, v a 15-1 Steelers team that had previously crushed the Pats in the 04 AFCC, a monster effort to knock off a far superior Chargers squad in 2006 with a team that had no business even being in the game, those late SB drives v the Giants and those two monster drives against the Seahawks set Brady apart from both Marino and Manning and their frontrunner pedigrees.

Other than Manning's effort in the 2006 AFCC game comeback vs the Pats, when has he put either the Colts or the Broncos on his back to pull out an improbable play-off victory through grit and will? How about Marino?

It's closer between Montana and Brady of course. Both are far more accomplished than the other two team-wise. Both have late game play-off pressure credentials which are legendary. Brady has been a more consistent performer and he's been more versatile.

Montana was Montana, excelling in a west coast system built on quick passing, a strong running game, possession tight ends and outstanding two and three receiver sets.

Brady has excelled under a wide variety of base offenses and no QB has ever had to handle game to game offensive changes like Brady has and with the success he's had doing it.

I think these small things, greater team accomplishments, so many improbable victories against great odds, superior consistency and excelling in so many different styles of offense puts Brady above Montana on my list. That I'm a Pat's fan doesn't hurt either.

No, it's not impossible to argue Brady for Montana. I'll just throw out a few highlights as to why:

REGULAR SEASON:
Most 500-pt. seasons: Brady 4 /Montana Not in Top 5
Most wins in regular season: Brady 16 /Montana Not in Top 5
Winning percentage: Brady 773 (160-47) /Montana .713 (117-47)
Most Wins by Starting QB: Brady 160 /Montana Not in Top 5
Highest Avg. Pts. per game: Brady 28.1 Montana Not in Top 5
Pass completions: Brady 4,551 /Montana Not in Top 5
Passing TDs: Brady 392 / Montana Not in Top 5
Passer rating: Brady 95.9 /Montana Not in Top 5

POSTSEASON:
Most PS games: 29 23
Most PS victories: Brady 21 /Montana 16
Most PS game-winning drives: Brady 9 /Montana 5
Most PS win percentage (20+ games):Brady .724 (21-8)/ Montana .696 (16-7)
Most conference title appearances: Brady 9 (6-3) /Montana 7 (4-3)
Most wins in PS (50+ attempts): Brady 4 / Montana Not in Top 5
Most PS passing yds: Brady 7,345 /Montana 5,772
Most PS TD passes: Brady 53 /Montana 45
Most PS completions: Brady 683 /Montana Not in Top 5

SUPER BOWL:
Most SB completions: Brady 164 /Montana 83
Most SB passing yds: Brady 1,605 /Montana 1,142
Most SB TD passes: Brady 13 /Montana 11
Most completions in SB in one game: Brady 37 (SB49) /Montana Not in Top 5
32 (SB38)

So this is according to CHFF. On top of the 6 SB appearances, Brady beats Montana in virtually every category, some of which Montana doesn't even qualify for the top 5 QBs.

There is no question, even as of today while he's still playing, that Tom Brady is the greatest QB to have ever played in the NFL. Hands down.

I didn't say I don't think Brady isn't the GOAT, nor did I say that there isn't a compelling argument for Brady. But we play in a completely different era of football.

Player A:
601 attempts, 63.1 CMP%, 4410 yards, 30 TD, 14 INT

Player B:
386 attempts, 70.2 CMP%, 3,521 yards, 26 TD, 8 INT

Player C:
554 attempts, 62.1 CMP%, 3986 yards, 27 TD, 12 INT

Player A is Eli Manning this year. Player B is Joe Montana at his peak. His best career year. Player C is Joe Flacco this past year.

Those are pretty close aren't they? Would you consider Eli and Flacco close to Montana?

Again, I think Brady is ahead of Montana. It's a much harder league to stay competitive over long periods of times, QBs are asked to do much more, and Brady did it with essentially two completely different teams and has had more long term success.

However it works the other way too. In Montana's era it was much harder to stay healthy, defenses were given a lot more freedom to not only grab and hold receivers, but give hits that are now considered illegal. I don't put any stock into the 4-0 in SBs argument, especially given the state of the AFC in that time, but Montana also had to go against the 90s Cowboys and 80s Giants, two of the GOAT dynasties.

I didn't say I don't think Brady isn't the GOAT, nor did I say that there isn't a compelling argument for Brady. But we play in a completely different era of football.

Player A:

Player B:

Player C:

Player A is Eli Manning this year. Player B is Joe Montana at his peak. His best career year. Player C is Joe Flacco this past year.

Those are pretty close aren't they? Would you consider Eli and Flacco close to Montana?

Again, I think Brady is ahead of Montana. It's a much harder league to stay competitive over long periods of times, QBs are asked to do much more, and Brady did it with essentially two completely different teams and has had more long term success.

However it works the other way too. In Montana's era it was much harder to stay healthy, defenses were given a lot more freedom to not only grab and hold receivers, but give hits that are now considered illegal. I don't put any stock into the 4-0 in SBs argument, especially given the state of the AFC in that time, but Montana also had to go against the 90s Cowboys and 80s Giants, two of the GOAT dynasties.

I get it. You think Brady is ahead of Montana but you're going to argue why Montana may be the man until the Cows home.

Fine. If you say the eyeball test tells you Montana is better, fine. That's an opinion and you're entitled. But if you want to say there's anyway to parse the known stats and make it Montana, you are either crazy or stubborn,

Cheers, BostonTim

Even though we're comparing careers, why stop at single-season comparisons? Let's compare using one or two games this time.

One could then say BenTodd's two 6TD games nudge him atop the QB ranks. We haven't seen that kind of production since YA Tittle!!!!!! Or Foles's 7TD game.

Stat manipulations are fun!

The '80's Giants are not a dynasty.

This is what you said:
Originally Posted by tonyto36
It's impossible to conclusively argue for Brady vs Montana
And I said no, it's not impossible and gave you I'm not sure how many different stats, and I'm not a stat fan, comparing the two.

Player A:

Player B:

Player C:

I don't give a rat's ass about Eli and Flacco. We're talking about Brady and Montana, arguably the two greatest QBs ever. Eli and Flacco don't even register in the same conversation.

More than two different teams. But even that does't matter. Aside from the first four years, he has played successfully in the ensuing 11 years with consistent turnover at WR and TE.

In Montana's era, it was a lot easier to cheat, flags didn't get thrown for every ticky-tack play, push-outs after the catch were legal, and Jerry Rice, we now know, cheated to hold onto the ball. Steroids and PEDs were being used, you virtually never saw a FS being called, and offensive pass intereference? A flag? Not a chance. So it was easier to play back then, easier for Montana to have advantages over Brady.

Montana was great. Brady is the greatest.

I think these small things, greater team accomplishments, so many improbable victories against great odds, superior consistency and excelling in so many different styles of offense puts Brady above Montana on my list. That I'm a Pat's fan doesn't hurt either.

I've always been one to say it's not the amount of rings a QB has, it's what the QB does to help or hurt his team in pursuing them that makes one QB greater than the other.

To me, PM killed "he's in it for the Lombardis not the records" forever when he chose Denver so that he could run things offensively, and have he best skill talent instead of choosing teams with better defenses and better overall teams and better coaches, three things PM fans always said it wasn't fair to judge him for lacking when he was with Indy.

In my book, such a player can never be considered the greatest ever, because football is such a team sport, and has a salary cap and FA so the value of a great QB like TB who will work within the confines of those, and be a great leader to boot is enough for me to take that guy over maybe someone who's more purely skilled like Aaron Rodgers (I think he's the most skilled QB in the league). TB has shown he puts rings above personal goals.

Someone quoted Jimmy Johnson here a month or two ago and I wish I had heard it myself because it was so perfect. He was asked, "What would BB have done if PM were his QB?" and his reply was, "BB would trade PM for TB." Exactly Jimmy, exactly. And the flip side is, PM could never play for BB because BB runs things.

And to continue a theme, Bill and Archie would have got on swell, wouldn't they?

Cheers, BostonTim

I don't really share the dislike/"helicopter dad" opinion people have of Archie. He does talk about his kids' business a lot, but so does TB's dad. And Archie was also an NFL QB which lends some gravitas to his opinion by the NFL media I think. I don't think they try to interfere with the teams though, either dad. Remember the one time TB actually said that his dad has a big mouth because he mentioned some injury TB had they were trying to downplay I think? Or what about recently when TB's dad talked about the whole ballghazi thing and how pissed off they were about it? I'd only have a problem with family speaking out if they were like Brenda Warner and trying to criticize the team or the way their loved one is being treated by the team publicly.

And Archie was also an NFL QB which lends some gravitas to his opinion by the NFL media I think.
Archie holds the distinction of being one of the all-time worst NFL QBs. I don't believe you can find anyone who played as long as he did and posted such poor results. Anyone not named Manning would have been benched much earlier.

The media may accord his opinion some weight - to me, he is a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: his is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

TR goes Shakespeare...nice! :toast:

Archie may be the poster boy for "talented QB playing on one of the world's worst teams year after year". I'm not saying he'd be HOF caliber, but he never really had the chance to play on a decent team in his prime.

Archie may be the poster boy for "talented QB playing on one of the world's worst teams year after year". I'm not saying he'd be HOF caliber, but he never really had the chance to play on a decent team in his prime.

I see Archie the same way HS. Very good talent wasted on a perennial bottom feeder in NO. To this day, my mental image of Archie as a QB is him running for his life bc his OLs couldn't pass pro for him at all. Totally wasted career, imo. Heck, put Namath on those teams in NO and Namath wouldn't have lasted a year.

Eh.

Good QBs make their teams better. Archie's teams always sucked ass. As in, there weren't any 8-8, 9-7 years. They were always 2-12, 3-13, whatever. Maybe he just didn't care about winning. :coffee:

If rings were the measurement of a "great" QB, then the #1 slot would be Otto Graham or Bart Starr.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of ranking one guy over another, but that's my personal opinion. My list of 5 best, in no particular order are:

Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Sammy Baugh
Posted via Mobile Device

If rings were the measurement of a "great" QB, then the #1 slot would be Otto Graham or Bart Starr.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of ranking one guy over another, but that's my personal opinion. My list of 5 best, in no particular order are:

Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Sammy Baugh
Posted via Mobile Device

There seems to be no shortage of Colts fans who hold little stock in Rings. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

There is no shortage of Colts fans who hold little stock in Rings. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Well, the converse of that is true.

Whevever I hear a Patriots fan talk about "only" one Lombardi, I can generally guess their age within a few years.

Back