Bill and Kraft part ways

Wow. ESPN is saying both sides took the high road, with no rancour and Bill will be allowed leave, no trade or compensation will be requested.

A very sad day I have to say. Bill is a magnificent coach who presided over an almost ludicrously successful tenure that will never be repeated.

Thank you sincerely, Bill, for everything. I was hoping you'd stay but all the best going forward.

Belichick and Patriots owner Robert Kraft spent a good part of this week periodically meeting and discussing how each side wanted to proceed. From sources familiar with those conversations, there was said to be no conflict, no disagreement, and in the end, productive talks resulted in a mutual decision that left both sides comfortable and at ease.

Both Belichick and Kraft, as one outside party noted, "took the high road," which was appropriate for an owner-coach tandem that will go down as one of the greatest and most decorated in NFL history.

Belichick, who had one year remaining on his contract, will be allowed to leave the team without the Patriots seeking compensation. He will want to continue coaching and is expected to draw interest from at least some of the other seven NFL teams that have head-coaching vacancies, quite possibly the Atlanta Falcons, league sources said.

The Patriots now will embark on their first head-coaching search in a quarter-century. Patriots linebackers coach Jerod Mayo, whom the team signed to a contract extension in the offseason and Kraft has identified as a rising head-coaching candidate, projects to be a, if not the, leading candidate for the job, sources said. Mayo played for the Patriots from 2008 to 2014 and has been an assistant under Belichick since 2019.

Belichick's exit from New England is expected to come less than 24 hours after his close friend Nick Saban retired from Alabama.

There is a symmetry and a similarity in the goodbye of two football legends -- men that are widely considered the greatest coach in professional history and the greatest coach in college football history. Belichick helped lead the Patriots to nine Super Bowl appearances and six Super Bowl titles; Saban led Alabama to nine SEC titles and six national championships.

Additionally, Saban succeeded Pete Carroll as the Ohio State secondary coach in 1980; Belichick worked with Saban in Cleveland from 1991 to 1994; and Belichick replaced Carroll as the Patriots head coach in 2000 before all three vacated their long-standing jobs this week in a 24-hour period.

I don't want to see him coach anywhere either. Bill thank you for all you did for us fans. What are the odds he goes to another team and brings them to a SB? Ugh

I'd love it if he followed Nick Saban into retirement. Or, if he took the Navy HC job.

But I don't want to see him coach in the NFL, either. But I'm sure he will. Atlanta would be the most acceptable, really, far away from the AFC.

ed mccaffrey on sirius singing his praises,even from his knowledge as a nyg dc. said he was close to playing there before bb went to cle and was happy he got to know him at the 98 pro bowl. said he is a brilliant football mind still. and he is quite funny and a good dude.

That really sucks! Thank you for the memories and Belichick will always the greatest coach ever! I was really hoping he would return and break Shula's record

All goods things.....

He will coach somewhere else in the NFL, Shula's record is too important to him. Hopefully he goes to the NFC and the Pats will not have to face him often.

All good things must come to an end. It was time. Kraft did the right thing. Thanks Coach, and good luck in whatever endevours await you.

Excited for a new era of Patriots football. Go Pats.

I'm feeling sad and mopey, but it is what it is.

Maybe it's for the best to get a fresh start for all concerned and we can get excited over that prospect given
a little time to process what it means. And that is a lot.

As far as Bill goes, I think he will continue to coach because the clock is ticking, but since I've been wrong about
practically everything lately maybe he will decide to take the year off and write the book.

But, I'm probably wrong about that, too. I knew this was still a possibility, but waking up to a different world
is a bit of a shock.

Back