Bill and Kraft part ways

Is Atlanta really that attractive with their roster? The offense isn't great there either. If he could improve them there will be some easy wins in that division but Atlanta has the AFCW and the NFCE to play next season.
You have to be kidding…they need a legit QB. That’s about it.

Bingo. People just look at the score and say well the D sucked. It's much, much more than that.
pats gave up 2 300 yd passers (if you like yards)and only 3 games gave up over 30 pts. and those passers weren't good qbs (tua and howell). middle of the road p/a wise but constantly on the field due to shit offense. it's always a team game. all 3 phases affect each other positively and negatively.

Gonna have to disagree on that. The D was put in horrific situations by the offense all year long, or at least while Mac was the QB. To still have the rating they did is quite something. How easy is to to play defense when the O is going 3 and out left and right then tossing picks and putting you on the field at your own 10 yard line.

The D is beyond fine and is set up to be a wagon if coached properly.

The point about the defense and its opponents has been made by many people, and made many times, and this is not the first year we've seen this pattern in recent Patriots times. You are welcome to scapegoat Mac, even though Mac was not the reason Dallas hung 38 on the Patriots, or that Tua's never lost to the Patriots, etc... You are welcome to insist that the data is just coincidental. History tells us that such is not likely the case. But anything is possible, and we'll never actually know one way or the other. I think the defense was at least pretty good, but not great. You seem to think it was great.

We just have a fundamental disagreement. But I would absolutely agree with the assertion that BB's coaching makes his defenses better than the mere sum of its players, and that making up for that absence absolutely needs to be a top priority for the team moving forward.

Last edited:
The point about the defense and its opponents has been made by many people, and made many times, and this is not the first year we've seen this pattern in recent Patriots times. You are welcome to scapegoat Mac, even though Mac was not the reason Dallas hung 38 on the Patriots, or that Tua's never lost to the Patriots, etc... You are welcome to insist that the data is just coincidental. History tells us that such is not likely the case. But anything is possible, and we'll never actually know one way or the other. I think the defense was at least pretty good, but not great. You seem to think it was great.

We just have a fundamental disagreement. But I would absolutely agree with the assertion that BB's coaching makes his defenses better than the mere sum of its players, and that making up for that absence absolutely needs to be a top priority for the team moving forward.

Fair enough. In the end all that matters is they get this right. As right as it can be. I am just a little more than just concerned that they won't.

I’m still in a daze…this is a dark day.
It is strange. The dynasty is officially over. Feels a bit like a mourning. But tomorrow will come and a new day, a chance to be great again.

That was interesting that RKK said Bill was only given full control after the 3rd SB. He had earned it, RKK said.

Really Robert, 3 Superbowls? Ya think?

Thats what scares me a teeny bit.
Kraft gets way too much credit imho for the success of the Patriots. it's not a trio. It was a duo between Bill and Tom and then a lot of other people like a hell of a lot of other players and assistant coaches including Scar, Ernie etc etc

RKK is the owner, he has the money. That's it. And yet we have this guy making critical football decisions. He got lucky with Bill, let's see what happens next.

I do feel a little down about this. It's going to take a little getting use to seeing someone else on the sideline next year.
Look at the history -

Fairbanks - did well, lots of hope, then bailed on us.
Mediocrity then ...
Raymond Berry - came in and immediately turned things around. Flash in the pan, though and quickly fizzled out.
Mediocrity (was welcome!) as we had crap.
TUNA! Built it up to 96 - #2 scoring Offense, #14 scoring defense. Two home playoff wins. Then Tuna abandoned the team.
Pete Carroll - good, not great, not as bad as it felt. Then ...

Paydirt - Perfect Storm - Unicorns and Show Ponies! 2000 brought a little hope, 2001 shocked the world. Records that were considered untouchable were destroyed. 20 years of insanity - the Pats Fans laughing at the world. "So, what are your plans for the bye week?" A full third of the Patriots' existence was them being the bullies, the Juggernaut.

Can't say what's next. Odds are - mediocrity with some success sprinkled in. We've come to see success as getting to the AFCC. We're spoiled a bit, maybe. Give me a hard fighting team that wins and loses honestly. Get rid of the dysfunction and I'll be ok with whatever changes are in store.

Kraft said they were waiting for this to be done before beginning the search for GM/HC. Said they will be announcing something in the upcoming days. Sounds like they had a plan. I'm feeling hopeful they thought this through for a while. Maybe Curran is right and it is Mayo.

Kraft: till we settled what we settled yesterday and announced it today.

So he was fired yesterday but the Saban / Carroll news probably pushed announcement a day.

Hopefully we can still Boston as the undisputed Number One Sports city in the US. How good did we have it for so long with all our major teams? Bill seemed to always be there, supporting the other three teams and building up great friendships with the coaches. The next guy has to keep up that tradition.

Back