Bills come to town - postgame impressions

Box_O_Rocks

One personality, many pieces
Reaction score
3 up, 3 down for the Patriots

Right up front let me :blink: WTF? at Mike Reiss for this gem:
Down
Kickoff coverage -- Bills rookie C.J. Spiller returns a third-quarter kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown, with linebacker Gary Guyton one player who struggles to shed a block and tackle him.
These kinds of postgame items are :jerkit: at the best of times, but if you're going to spank the unit for it's failure, you might at least not single out the one guy who was double-teamed by the wall. :doh: If one guy is drawing the two biggest blockers on the return team, and another guy is toting the rock, that leaves two unblocked coverage guys somewhere. One of them was Gostkowski, who flunked remedial form tackling for Place Kickers, but Guyton? "Wholly Rex Ryan's jowls" Mike!

The two blocks in the back had more to do with that TD than anything else.

They didn't help, but if Gost can just slow Spiller a half step Arrington gets to do

surprise-buttsecks.jpg

As soon as the play happened live I yelled 'flag!' but it never came. :banghead:

I replayed it twice and 1 official was looking right at it and still didn't call it. Then I thought to myself, 'may not be our year for calls from the refs'...
I hope BB sends a tape to the NFL offices of that; it may stop some of this NBA-like officiating. Or maybe not.

The D wasn't effective and has a long way to go to be championship caliber. The O performed well.
82 points allowed is the most by any BB team in its first three games since he took over the Patriots.
Btw, is anyone noticing that Mesko had only a 37 yard average for his punts?

The Patriots gave up 374 yards, allowed Buffalo to convert 5-of-10 on third down and gave up 5.6 yards per carry to the combination of Marshawn Lynch and C.J. Spiller. The Bills turned over their offense to Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Harvard product - while tossing two very costly interceptions - still managed to keep his team in the game, completing 20-for-24 for 247 yards.
“Fitz did a good job moving the ball,” Bills receiver Roscoe Parrish said. “When you score 30 points you expect a victory but it didn’t go that way for us today. We have to watch film. Our coach mentioned in his speech that everyone has to do a good job. Not just one unit. That is something we have to do so we can find a way to win.”
If Tom Brady didn’t have an obscenely good rating of 142.6, it probably would’ve been good enough for the huge upset.
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...0/09/26/mayo-we-know-our-defense-is-alarming/

for a punter we used a 5th round pick on he's been pretty unimpressive
He's actually what I expected for this year. Much like the defense which I keep seeing maligned everywhere, BB is using OJT to develop young people everywhere on the team. The D takes it hardest because they don't have a Tom Brady, or a Bru or Vrabes or Rodney, to rally around. Big Vince is a good start, but Linebackers and Safeties are the Quarterbacks and NE's are young and inexperienced. It's actually fun to watch if you don't let the fact that dog's backside Jesters can get away with undeserved wins spoil your enjoyment. :shrug: Viva Belichick! Hang in there kids, only 13 more games before the playoffs!

Matt Slater? I think everybody saw the play with him. Brady slighty overthrew him, but ht had him for a TD.
Apparently that was the only time he even got on the field with the O.
He's no Aiken, but he's got speed

Nice write up in the Buffalo News about Gronk, who is from Buffalo

The Gronkowski family was well-represented in the seats of Gillette Stadium on Sunday. Its presence was felt on the field, too.Rookie tight end Rob Gronkowski gave the more than 50 relatives and friends in attendance plenty to cheer about. The Williamsville native caught three passes for 43 yards, including his second touchdown in three games, to help the New England Patriots hold off his hometown Buffalo Bills, 38-30.
"It was great," Gronkowski said. "I'm just glad to be a part of the team and pleased we got the victory."
Victory wouldn't have been possible without Gronkowski and fellow rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez, who led the Patriots in catches (six) and yards (65) for the second straight week.
Gronkowski's 5-yard touchdown in the third quarter was a critical third-down play that gave the Patriots a 31-23 lead and momentum they didn't relinquish.
"I definitely was happy about it," Gronkowski said. "We needed that touchdown. It was a great overall play. We executed it well when we needed it."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article202182.ece

On the Spiller return for TD:

I thought they outlawed wedges? The Guyton block was only two on one, so that was legit. But I could've swore I saw 4 or 5 Bills form a wall at first. Plus, the Bills had a block in the back uncalled penalty (the announcers were &^%$#@& joking about it).

Guyton was doubleteamed. He was the least of my problems with that play.

I haven't had a chance to watch all of the game, but from what I saw, I think we're going to be in trouble next week.

I knew this game would be close (though I wasn't expecting Buffalo to morph into the early 90's offensive unit) but it looks like I patted myself on the back about the defense a bit prematurely. The speed and decisive aggressiveness from the first game are gone, at least from what I've seen in the past couple weeks.

I only watched a handful of snaps in this one and listened to some of the rest, so please correct what seems off.

* At the end of a long BJGE run, I noticed Moss running away from the play with his arm up waiting for the ball. The ploy worked as the defender was chasing after him despite the fact that the guy with the ball was less than 5 yards behind him! Little things like that give me a thrill.

* Nice to see the team being able to bully for 6 yards at the end when they needed to ice the game.

* That said, the offensive set just prior to that was probably the worst attempt at a game ending drive I've ever seen. At one point the only play they had were the clock didn't stop was on a 12 yard sack. :eek:

* I'm disappointed in Tate. The fumble on what should have been a key first down was a killer and he also must have run the wrong route on Moss' 2nd TD. No play is designed to bring two receivers together in the deep middle of the field.

* I have to imagine NE set a record for "most times a team has been in 2nd and 20 in a game they scored 38 points". NE had 10 non-half-ending drives with 6 ending in points (5 TDs, 1 FG). Of the 4 remaining, three of them had a 10 yard penalty on the very first play. I'd like to see what these guys could do if they can get out of their own way.

* I gave BoB a lot of guff about the playcalling against the Jets, but this was an impressive effort on his part. NE returned to consistent ball movement rather than focusing on the big play. I even liked the calls that didn't work, like the Welker screen early on that went nowhere, so it isn't as if I'm solely going by which was more successful. This gameplan just seemed much more intent and purposeful. Of course, it helps when you can run the ball like they did.

* Midway through the third quarter I had come to the opinion that NE's pass D issues are more on the safeties than the CBs. Perhaps I should rephrase that. More on the interaction between the CBs and safeties. In the days of yore, CBs were able to take more chances knowing someone had their back. On top of that, I can recall more coverage interaction (I can't explain it better right now, brain lock). Now, it seems like guys are struggling to hold their own ground, let alone lean on each other.

The best way I can think to illustrate this is the Miami/NY game last night. Late in the game, needing a first down, NY went to Edwards on a successful comeback route. That play never should have worked. The CB had help over the top and his focus should have been staying in front of Braylon, forcing Sanchez to make a much more difficult toss between the defenders. That kind of mistake is happening virtually every play with NE right now, but it is occuring all over the place, LB, S and CB are equally guilty.

Anyway, it was nice to see Chung and Meriweather answer my pleas to make a play or two, even if Fitzpatrick airmailed both of those throws.

* I find it interesting how similar NE and NO are right now. NO has better pass D, but their run D makes NE's look like the 2000 Ravens. Both have sloppy wins over lousy teams, both have wins over teams that we aren't sure how good they are yet and both lost to the best division team they've faced so far. Hell, even Indy follows that pattern. And Denver spent 55 minutes trying to give that game to the Colts, who begrudgingly took it with only a handful to spare.

* A couple press conference items.

1) Did anyone else hear BB's jab at Indy when describing the gaff by the officials?

2) Both Brady and BB seemed more satisfied with that win than the fans.

3) Brady made a remark when asked about the quality of a win that reminded me of something Reggie Lewis said back in the 90's. The Pacers wer facing a great Bulls team in the ECF and had been destroyed in game one by 30+ points and Lewis commented how basketball isn't the Tour-de-France. They aren't going to start game two down 30, and that gives them an advantage. I chuckled at the time, but his words proved precient as Indy forced Chicago to go 7 games.

* I'm intrigued by the fact that NE gets all three division foes right off the bat and then gets a bye. How are they approaching these games? Are they still getting comfortable with packages and working on them in a quasi-preseason approach? It is well documented that BB holds things in reserve until the second division matchup, how is that impacting things?

All told, I'm still optimistic these guys are going to make the playoffs and be a more consistent group by then. But I'm not confident at all about their chances on Monday night. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they aren't 2-2 heading into the off week.

I haven't had a chance to watch all of the game, but from what I saw, I think we're going to be in trouble next week.

Going to Miami is ALWAYS tough for us.

Fortunately it's Monday Night, so the heat/humidity should be lessened.

I didn't catch the 'Phins last night soooo......

But if TB can stick to spreading it out, control the clock, put points up, and give our Defense some sustained rest we CAN pull it off.

Needless to say, a road win, especially in a historically tough haunt for us, will go a long way towards team confidence.

Anyway, it was nice to see Chung and Meriweather answer my pleas to make a play or two, even if Fitzpatrick airmailed both of those throws

Merri still isn't doing it for me. The pick was nice, but the TD allowed where he took the inside route under the WR/CB jam at the line was SO poor.

He and Butler need a swift kick in the a$$ right now.

What about Brace? I saw some good plays by him. Also the announcers were praysing Big Ron.

As is usual, I'm not that worried about Monday night. Besides the usual Miami maladies, that is another team we can beat, just like I'm sure we'll beat the Jets the second time if Tom plays like he did yesterday, spreading the ball around, and taking the big play when it is there, and not trying to force it to Randy.

The Dolphin game should be another great chance for the TEs, Keller gave the Fins fits last night, what will they do against two flexible TEs?

SSDD

I knew this game would be close (though I wasn't expecting Buffalo to morph into the early 90's offensive unit) but it looks like I patted myself on the back about the defense a bit prematurely.

* I find it interesting how similar NE and NO are right now. NO has better pass D, but their run D makes NE's look like the 2000 Ravens. Both have sloppy wins over lousy teams, both have wins over teams that we aren't sure how good they are yet and both lost to the best division team they've faced so far. Hell, even Indy follows that pattern. And Denver spent 55 minutes trying to give that game to the Colts, who begrudgingly took it with only a handful to spare.

* A couple press conference items.

1) Did anyone else hear BB's jab at Indy when describing the gaff by the officials?

2) Both Brady and BB seemed more satisfied with that win than the fans.

I was thinking yesterday that although the Pats don't look sharp neither really does any other team. NO has been scraping by until yesterday's loss caught up to them. The Vikings are borderline horrifying. The Jets and Ravens may actually be the teams to beat right now in the AFC and the Packers, I guess, seem at this point to be the class of the NFC. And none of these teams scares the hell out me right now.

Still, only 3 games have been played but to this point no team stands out right now among the 32. This looks to be a wide open competition for the SB. Is parity finally rearing its ugly head?

If the Pats can get their D backfield playing together the Pats could have as good a chance as any to succeed. That would be a huge accomplishment for such a young team.

I was thinking yesterday that although the Pats don't look sharp neither really does any other team. NO has been scraping by until yesterday's loss caught up to them. The Vikings are borderline horrifying. The Jets and Ravens may actually be the teams to beat right now in the AFC and the Packers, I guess, seem at this point to be the class of the NFC. And none of these teams scares the hell out me right now.

Still, only 3 games have been played but to this point no team stands out right now among the 32. This looks to be a wide open competition for the SB. Is parity finally rearing its ugly head?

If the Pats can get their D backfield playing together the Pats could have as good a chance as any to succeed. That would be a huge accomplishment for such a young team.
While it's too early to say who is going to be there in the end, the Steelers (because of their defense) look to be the best team in the AFC right now, with the Chiefs??? being the only other 3 - 0 team.

I would not say the ravens are the teams to beat really. They lost to a team we killed, and they barely got by the browns yesterday.

Back