Brady Gets $37M/ Contract From Fox TV

Also, by the by, this makes the whole Ross-Leaked "Brady was going to play QB and be an owner" look pretty stupid. Your move, Florio. :coffee:
IDK. If there is one thing guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were very good at, it was audibling out of bad plays.

I think Tom Brady has a great mind for the game and he’s a very intense human being. I think that combination will suit him well in the broadcasting future. I think he’ll start off a little Rocky and get into a flow as time goes on… He is an extremely hard-working human being and I just can’t see him failing at this job...🤷‍♂️

Romo has a lot of personality and excitement. I think Brady may be more like Collinsworth. He's not going to say anything controversial and be generic in the mic. I don't think he'll be a dud like Montana was.
I actually loved Emmitt Smith. He was so fucking funny!...he made Madden look pedestrian. He hacked English way moar creatively than I eva will be able to...

Brady was great in Tom vs Time, on the ESPN Top100, and also that new show that just finished. He'll be fine. He's been good on shows and on camera for several years now. The funniest thing is seeing psychos like TommyD try to diss the goat QB like a scorned ex gf.

I actually loved Emmitt Smith. He was so fucking funny!...he made Madden look pedestrian. He hacked English way moar creatively than I eva will be able to...

Emmitt is hilarious.

Always felt he was going to say something that was a HR violation

Very true...he could be my all-time fav! Every time that the mic/camera was on him...it could be a debacle of deliciousness!
Every time I think of him, it reminds of that time when Malcom Butler blowed up Ricardo Lockette .

to add to hawgie's great take, i have never thought of tb as a great"spur of the moment" reactive speaker. a skill you need in that job. who knows, maybe he will surprise.

I think you said it all, H.

We had him here for almost two decades and none of us really knows if a guy that knows more X's and O's than any other player living can, or is
fully willing, to communicate that kind of knowledge to the masses.

I figured he'd want to do something with a greater overall impact after he leaves the field, such as an executive role in football, but I can't blame him
for taking the fat stacks. How many people are there in the world that would turn that deal down? Maybe he figures he needs the dough to buy his own
team some day. I can see the sense in that, at least, but it's hard to teach an old jock new tricks.

In any case, it's all academic until he decides he's had enough. Or changes his mind again.

Moving forward, I'll be watching how he handles his media appearances to see if he starts the process of letting his public guard down.

There used to be an old Ex-Colts player named Alex Hawkins who landed a TV gig.

One time I'm watching a real back-and-forth game he was doing that was coming down to the end and he got all excited and goes:

"We got ourselves a real cliff-dweller here"

My sides hurt from laughing. All I could picture was some caveman wearing skins wondering what the fuck he was talking about.

The poor guy was in way over his head and didn't last long, but his games were always entertaining.

I really don't get all this money they give to ex-players to be analysts. Has anyone ever tuned into a game because of who the analyst is? Even when Romo gave a crap and was decent I only watched the game if I liked the matchup without giving it a second thought who the announcers were. Maybe that's just me though, or maybe it's more about the sponsors caring about it and will shell out more money.

I really don't get all this money they give to ex-players to be analysts. Has anyone ever tuned into a game because of who the analyst is? Even when Romo gave a crap and was decent I only watched the game if I liked the matchup without giving it a second thought who the announcers were. Maybe that's just me though, or maybe it's more about the sponsors caring about it and will shell out more money.

Good thought and point. Although the counter to this is the TV money has gotten so massive that the salaries for analysts are only a small fraction. If Fox/NBC are shelling out billions for TV rights, a $40m/yr showteam isn't crazy. It's all a function of how lucrative the NFL and TV rights have gotten.

[edit: to add, it's not as crazy when you see Steve Harvey and Judge Judy making $50m/yr, or Dr Phil and Ellen making $80m/yr]

Last edited:
I think Brady will be good tbh. He will be able to highlight in real time what the defences are doing and be able to outline complicated defence schemes and looks. And he'll do likewise on offensive plays. If people thought Romo was accurate and prescient, Brady will be on another level. I just hope he doesn't try too hard to be funny. He seems desperate to be seen as having a good sense of humour for some reason. If he analyses the game the way he does in real time as a QB the audience will really benefit imho.

My gut response was to scoff at this. Peyton has been the comparative GOAT to Brady in terms of being an off-field entertainer.

However, Troy Aikman is hardly a showman and I think he is very good in his role. Brady's other challenge is that he is not universally well-liked by the average NFL fanbase.

I'm fascinated at the prospect of hearing someone expertly advise the NFL TV audience re: the most effective ways to grease the skids for one's head coach, publicly throw your receivers under the bus and tout the benefits of closely associating with and befriending a certified medical quack. Can't wait!!!

I avoid games where the announcer is a screamer. Fox has at least one for college football. But would not change the channel because of the analyst.
Conversely to your point, it must make a difference to the networks because they are willing to pay them. I think it's about drawing in the largest audience.

Brady's other challenge is that he is not universally well-liked by the average NFL fanbase.
That's really not true anymore. He had the number one selling jersey again last year. When he left the Patriots and won with Tampa, fanbases changed their tune on him quite a bit. I used to visit a lot of other sites, not so much now and the sentiment on him definitely changed after the Tampa SB win. I also don't think broadcasting is about being "liked" as much as being respected and believed to be able to bring insight to the game. That is how Romo did it after playing for the hated Cowboys.

I am not sure how this will go for Brady. He could end up being great at it because the guy puts so much effort and dedication into everything he does or he could be average and kind of flat too. Broadcasting is definitely not as easy as some make it look.

Julian Edelman's take on this.

"When he retires" #BelieveItWhenISeeIt
@TomBrady

FSaZxvjXIAQC1lj

Back