Brady, Gronkowski will skip out on Pro Bowl

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
At least two of the seven Patriots selected to this year's Pro Bowl will not be in attendance.

It came as no surprise that quarterback Tom Brady has opted not to play in the game, which will take place in Honolulu on Sunday. First and foremost, he has only traveled to Hawaii twice to take part in the game despite being selected for it 11 times. (Following the 2001 and 2004 seasons, he made the trip.) Brady also took a pounding in the AFC Championship Game -- absorbing 20 hits -- and likely isn't itching to get back on any field that doesn't give him a shot at a fifth Lombardi Trophy.

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who caught eight passes for 144 yards and a touchdown in the conference championship, will also skip the Pro Bowl. He was named to the NFL's all-star game for the fourth time in his career this season.

Other Patriots who were selected for the Pro Bowl this year include linebacker Jamie Collins, corner Malcolm Butler, kicker Stephen Gostkowski, defensive end Chandler Jones and special teams ace Matthew Slater.

Slater told reporters on Monday that he hadn't yet decided if he'd be going to Hawaii. He suffered a shin injury after crashing into a camera man during New England's Divisional Round win over the Chiefs, and he may use this time to heal.

Taking Brady's place in the Pro Bowl will be Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston. Browns tight end Gary Barnidge will take Gronkowski's spot.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pa...i-will-skip-out-pro-bowl?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Everyone has backed out at this point except for Slater. speculation is that he won't go due to his injuries. Looks like a Pats "boycott".

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Patriots?src=hash">#Patriots</a> Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins, Malcolm Butler, Stephen Gostkowski, Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski have bowed out of the Pro Bowl.</p>— Doug Kyed (@DougKyed) <a href="https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/692032371550470144">January 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cue conspiracy theories....

Tough to go play the Pro Bowl after the champ game. I would doubt many of the Cards players are going. I know Carson already backed out due to his hurt finger.

Plus, let's be honest, the pro bowl is a JOKE. I have no idea why the NFL puts on that charade every year. Just name the players and skip the game.

Good for them, no point in risking further injuries in a meaningless game.

I hope Brady bows out of everything NFL related including the honor he was getting on the field before SB50. He doesn't need to be honored by people who have been trying to destroy his reputation for a year.

The Pro-Bowl has always been uninteresting. Having the teams be some former players teams rather than conference teams borders on the absurd. Who cares for the team make-up now? Nothing to root for. At least there was a semblance of a home team rooting interest with AFC/NFC squads.

Plus, let's be honest, the pro bowl is a JOKE. I have no idea why the NFL puts on that charade every year. Just name the players and skip the game.

They should have a skills competition versus an actual game. Top players from all the teams not playing in SB in each position on offense gets invited and play for charity donations to their favorite charity. For fun, they could have a flag football game if they really wanted to have a game. The only person not playing for the flag football would be QB on defense and a punter could be in there for them.

They should have a skills competition versus an actual game. Top players from all the teams not playing in SB in each position on offense gets invited and play for charity donations to their favorite charity. For fun, they could have a flag football game if they really wanted to have a game. The only person not playing for the flag football would be QB on defense and a punter could be in there for them.

They could bring back Superstars for modern NFL players. :)

It came as no surprise that quarterback Tom Brady has opted not to play in the game...

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who caught eight passes for 144 yards and a touchdown in the conference championship, will also skip the Pro Bowl.

Yeah.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2TnkJ8_BmSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers, BostonTim

Why would any player go?

For a week in Hawaii? If only they were paid enough that they could visit Hawaii in the offseason without risking injury.

The idea that Brady would go given what the NFL has done and is still trying to do to him is ridiculous.

It's one of Roger's pet projects. he loves the Pro Bowl and has been trying to revive it for years.

I love the fact that the Patriot players have basically just given him the finger.

I can't remember the last time I watched the Pro Bowl

It's s**t. And even more s**t now after Roger had his big idea to allow honorary captains pick teams. At least in the older AFC-NFC days it was slightly better and made sense. Now Roger, fresh off the Fantasy windfall has tried to let fans in on it and pick teams etc. It's a f**king joke.

I could think of nothing worse as a player after a long hard season to head out and do mindless interviews with Marshall Faulk and co and play is the most boring game they'll ever play in front of a crowd who really can't be bothered...

i admit, I'm a little surprised that Butler isn't going. guys usually love that 1st one, it's a lot of fun for them.
and i watch it. much like i will eat velveeta if it is the only cheese available.

Back