Brady isn't going anywhere

Saw a headline at Pats Pulpit that basically said that until the Deflagate case is resolved, Garoppolo isn't going anywhere.

Presumably the argment is that until the case is resolved, TFB+ could still be suspended for four games.

If that happens, then the Pats need a QB who knows the system.

Such an argument would seem to make sense.

Not sure if there would be a suitable option for some other QB to come in (e. g., Hoyer) and fill that role.

I'd be very surprised if another team offered enough to get the Pats to part with JG since he's had very little game exposure. He's far more valuable to the Pats as a TB backup than to any other team right now. Trading JG to a QB needy team before the draft doesn't make any sense to me especially since JG is all we have if TB gets injured/suspended.

I was surprised . I thought he was going to retire when he was 40 years old. Now they really need to upgrade the O-line & Running game

I was surprised . I thought he was going to retire when he was 40 years old. Now they really need to upgrade the O-line & Running game

I was not really surprised that TFB wanted to play until he is 42 now. I totally agree with you that Pats MUST get rid of some of the OL players and get some new stronger, faster, and better technique Olinemen who can be nurtured by Scar. If Pats can fix their OL major issues and open some holes for their RB to run thru, then their current RB crew should be able to get the job done. That really depends on if Blount wants to continue playing for a winning team or want to go after big $. Pats also will need to address their pass rushing and secondary coaching issues with needs some press-coverage man-2-man big improvements, imho. :bow:

It was good, but, not great. The Pats need more pass rushers.

I thought are best 3rd down D-line was jones, easley, Brown & Shreed . I just hope easley can finally shake the injuries. 4 straight years of IR.

One of those is already on the roster, I believe. Trey Flowers can get after the QB and is not just a rusher. I expect we'll see quite a bit more of him and folks are going to like what they see.

Flowers isn't the biggest guy, but he plays a lot stronger than he looks, locks out with long arms and doesn't get pushed around. He is always moving forward and he uses his strong hands very well.

I think he was a steal last year and will establish a regular role. I'm not sure exactly where but he's too good to sit on the bench for long. This dude can play.

I feel like expecting the Pats to add pass rushers is akin to asking them to get legit outside receivers. They don't really play defense that way - the way Denver did. They are much more of a Dline by committee with stopping the run as paramount and having athletic LBs to rush the gaps. They will never go out and spend on a Suh or Wilkerson type. They don't believe DLs are worth that. Kind of their same MO with CBs as well.

Nice. I find it interesting that Montana ended up leaving the 49ers to go play somewhere else (of course Steve Young was in the wings) but the fact that Brady may potentially play his entire career here in the salary cap era should propel him ahead of Montana in any and all conversations.

And don't even bring up Manninhgh*, Marino or Elway. These guys pale in comparison to TB12.

I have a huge soft spot for "one club men" when it comes to sports. I know it's laughable maybe to think of such concepts as loyalty when it comes to multimillionaire dollar (or pounds :p) players.

I have a huge soft spot for "one club men" when it comes to sports. I know it's laughable maybe to think of such concepts as loyalty when it comes to multimillionaire dollar (or pounds :p) players.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you are saying
and if so, please ignore this.

I don't think TB would want to stay forever just to stay if the team that drafted him was crap or coached by some chump or series of chumps, so I don't think it's loyalty 100%. I think it's knowing you have the best HC ever and therefore the best chance of being competitive every year for championships. What it means to me is that he puts team goals above his own "make the most money I can" goals. That's what I think makes TB rare. wuv

12814083_182704342105846_4797653724183897966_n.jpg

One of those is already on the roster, I believe. Trey Flowers can get after the QB and is not just a rusher. I expect we'll see quite a bit more of him and folks are going to like what they see.

Flowers isn't the biggest guy, but he plays a lot stronger than he looks, locks out with long arms and doesn't get pushed around. He is always moving forward and he uses his strong hands very well.

I think he was a steal last year and will establish a regular role. I'm not sure exactly where but he's too good to sit on the bench for long. This dude can play.

That would be great if he pans out!

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you are saying
and if so, please ignore this.

I don't think TB would want to stay forever just to stay if the team that drafted him was crap or coached by some chump or series of chumps, so I don't think it's loyalty 100%. I think it's knowing you have the best HC ever and therefore the best chance of being competitive every year for championships. What it means to me is that he puts team goals above his own "make the most money I can" goals. That's what I think makes TB rare. wuv

I agree, there's not many players who are top talents who are content to stay on a team that's going to be perennially bad if any. But as you say I think there's a point where you do get a difference between purely chasing the money and I'd guess you'd call it legacy writing.

The players I had in mind when I was writing the previous are from the world of soccer so a slightly different kettle of fish in terms of the economy of the sport. But yes certainly they all played for hugely successful dominant teams. I guess the "loyalty" aspect is shown more in their willingness to be flexible on salary and to be a good solider if that makes sense? Tom Brady is a case that's not the norm let's put it that way, I mean when ownership are adopting you, you've done something right!

I feel like expecting the Pats to add pass rushers is akin to asking them to get legit outside receivers. They don't really play defense that way - the way Denver did. They are much more of a Dline by committee with stopping the run as paramount and having athletic LBs to rush the gaps. They will never go out and spend on a Suh or Wilkerson type. They don't believe DLs are worth that. Kind of their same MO with CBs as well.

Randy Moss happened...so, :shrug_n:

I know what you're saying, but, they still have to have a legit pass rush...or, the opposing qb will have all day to throw.

Randy Moss happened...so, :shrug_n:

I know what you're saying, but, they still have to have a legit pass rush...or, the opposing qb will have all day to throw.

Man, I would love it if they got a Moss type talent to rush the passer. I think with Moss though they got him on the cheap, at the end of his career. I could see Bill doing that for the right pass rusher. I always wanted them to make a run at Jared Allen.

Man, I would love it if they got a Moss type talent to rush the passer. I think with Moss though they got him on the cheap, at the end of his career. I could see Bill doing that for the right pass rusher. I always wanted them to make a run at Jared Allen.

Yeah, it was one of the best trades for BB ever...even if Moss never ended getting his ring.

I agree, there's not many players who are top talents who are content to stay on a team that's going to be perennially bad if any. But as you say I think there's a point where you do get a difference between purely chasing the money and I'd guess you'd call it legacy writing.

The players I had in mind when I was writing the previous are from the world of soccer so a slightly different kettle of fish in terms of the economy of the sport. But yes certainly they all played for hugely successful dominant teams. I guess the "loyalty" aspect is shown more in their willingness to be flexible on salary and to be a good solider if that makes sense? Tom Brady is a case that's not the norm let's put it that way, I mean when ownership are adopting you, you've done something right!

Maybe I could label TB as having a "loyalty to the goal". Goal being championships. I'm sure he doesn't love being yelled at like he's a rookie after all he's accomplished, but he "gets" that he has to be an example of a sacrifice and commitment level for his team in his position. A lot of guys do talk about wanting to win, but they chase money. Don't get me wrong, I have 0 problem with any one trying to make what they can. I just laugh unless they put their $$ where their mouth is.

Reactions: SCC
Nice. I find it interesting that Montana ended up leaving the 49ers to go play somewhere else (of course Steve Young was in the wings) but the fact that Brady may potentially play his entire career here in the salary cap era should propel him ahead of Montana in any and all conversations.

And don't even bring up Manninhgh*, Marino or Elway. These guys pale in comparison to TB12.

Brady will forever be a Patriot. When he retires, we will all admire his body of work and the great memories he has given us.

I thought the defense was great last year. That kept us in a lot of games. We do need to get better depth at LB. You saw teams get to the edge way to much . When HIGHTOWER & Collins Were hurt or injuried .

Need more depth at CB as well.

Our 3rd CB option was shaky all season long. Considering how much time is spent in the nickel or dime now, we need a better 3rd CB.

Maybe that kid who got hurt in camp will be that guy.

Per Rapoport at NFLN this am, officially signed now. 2 yrs 28 mill guaranteed, 1 mill bases.

I love how they structured the contract so that if he sits, he doesn't lose money.

Guess that means internally they agree in their guilt and circumstance and the NFLPA circus is just that.......tantrum throwing because they screwed themselves.

Back