Brady isn't going anywhere

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
Tom and the team reached a 2-yr extension. He's here til 2019.

Brady Extended

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tom Brady and Patriots reached agreement on 2-year contract extension, tying him to NE through 2019, league sources told <a href="https://twitter.com/diannaESPN">@diannaESPN</a> and me.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/704320807380480000">February 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tom and the team reached a 2-yr extension. He's here til 2019.

Nice. I find it interesting that Montana ended up leaving the 49ers to go play somewhere else (of course Steve Young was in the wings) but the fact that Brady may potentially play his entire career here in the salary cap era should propel him ahead of Montana in any and all conversations.

And don't even bring up Manninhgh*, Marino or Elway. These guys pale in comparison to TB12.

Does Garoppolo go on the trade block? His contract expires halfway through Brady's new contract. I doubt he'd stick around as a backup.

Perhaps a team like Cleveland is willing to give up this year's 2nd round pick? :shrug:

Whoo hoo! :celebrate:

Jimmy G., I love ya, bud, wuv but you aren't seeing the field here (God willing). I hope you are traded to a good situation if it's good for the Pats.

How much was the extension? I would love if it was for like $5 mil a year.
This is so awesome. I agree with the poster about Montana comparisons. It is ALL Brady now. And to think he is staying with a team like NE that is known to cut aging guys early and yet here he is at age 39 signing for 2 more years putting him here until age 42.

Also, a stat to chew on: Last season, Tom Brady had the highest TD/INT ratio (5.1) for a QB age 38 or older in NFL history (36 TD, 7 INT)

Also, this too, Jeff Howe <S>@</S>jeffphowe<SMALL class=time>2m2 minutes ago</SMALL>
Tom Brady will be the first Patriot in history to play his 17th season with the team in 2016. Deal locks him up through his 20th NFL season.

Does Garoppolo go on the trade block? His contract expires halfway through Brady's new contract. I doubt he'd stick around as a backup.

Perhaps a team like Cleveland is willing to give up this year's 2nd round pick? :shrug:
Look for the return of Hoyer and a mid round QB pick.

Have to LOVE the timing of this. Peyton* about to announce his retirement after looking like a shell of himself and allegations of HGH AND Brady signs up to play until 42. LOL.

I'm watching the Combine and heard eisen announce it. one thing florio pointed out is it will be interesting to see the details because if they made his base salary low, any suspension would cost him little.
at one point after his last extension, kraft said something to the effect that "people don't know what's really going on here" as it related to the contract. that put my antennae up...perhaps this is bring positioned this way for something down the road.

I'm watching the Combine and heard eisen announce it. one thing florio pointed out is it will be interesting to see the details because if they made his base salary low, any suspension would cost him little.
at one point after his last extension, kraft said something to the effect that "people don't know what's really going on here" as it related to the contract. that put my antennae up...perhaps this is bring positioned this way for something down the road.

Interesting. Glad to hear Brady's signed for a while.

~Dee~

You may be on to the something with the low base salary. Florio thinks it could be vet min. so it would cost him next to nothing if he had to serve a suspension.

Details of new Tom Brady deal could be fascinating

Posted by Mike Florio on February 29, 2016, 11:16 AM EST
APThe last time quarterback Tom Brady executed a new contract with the Patriots, he instantly became St. Thomas of San Mateo by virtue of his decision to give the team a huge bargain. Sure, that bargain came with a $30 million signing bonus, but it was nevertheless far less of a deal than he otherwise could have sought.

So with another extension putting Brady in New England beyond his 42nd birthday, the devil will be in the details of St. Thomas’s new deal.
Surely, the back end won’t be bloated with big money. It’s been believed that Brady wants his cap numbers to be very manageable as his age becomes unwieldy, in order to ensure that coach Bill Belichick will never feel compelled to cut Brady in a cap move. With former second-round backup Jimmy Garropolo two seasons into a four-year rookie deal, Brady’s extension suggests that he’ll survive yet another ultimately wasted pick, who’ll possibly be eventually traded to another team at a loss.

Of course, that all depends on the numbers of the new Brady deal. How much of the contract through 2019 is fully guaranteed? What will the cap hit be if Brady is cut in 2017? Will the Pats persuade Garropolo to remain in place until Brady finally retires, ensuring a possible Joe Montana/Steve Young passing of the torch?

That’s why the details are so important. And with agent Don Yee (who presumably leaked the news of the extension to ESPN because the Patriots never say anything to anyone) not leaking the numbers, it’s safe to say the numbers likely won’t become the centerpiece of Yee’s future recruitment efforts.

The numbers also will be interesting as it relates to the possible 2016 suspension of Tom Brady for #Deflategate. Ultimately, he’ll lose four game checks if he’s suspended; the smaller the base salary in 2016, the less money he’ll lose.

Last year, he would have lost 4/17ths of $8 million (i.e., $1.88 million). Under Brady’s pre-extension salary of $9 million for 2016, it would have been $2.11 million. If the new contract drops Brady’s base salary to $985,000, the veteran minimum for a player with his experience, Brady would lose only $231,000 through a suspension.

I've been thinking about that as an outside possibility, mainly because he is an asset that could possibly get us an early 2nd and one that we might be able to lose without it impacting the team significantly.

We can be pretty sure the Pats will be carefully weighing the situation if they think his potential is limited and may have already had discussions with teams to see what his value might be.

For the record he was the 62nd pick in 2014. A case could be made that a pick in the 40's might be a solid return on investment, but that is only if they feel like he isn't really a guy that can lead us to a championship if Brady goes down to injury and can be replaced with a low-cost alternative.

Personally, I like what I've seen of him and think that just might be good enough to keep us in the hunt.

It's an interesting thing to speculate on because his track record has to be considered very limited, but he does seem to show some interesting traits that could be attractive to the right team.

What stands out to me is that he seems to read the field and process coverages a lot quicker than the average 2-year small school QB with limited game action. He seldom looks like the game is too fast for him and is athletic and throws well enough. If I'm correct about that then that is pretty unusual and might make him a promising option for some teams.

this is a weak qb class, so i could see teams calling. i can't think of a qb who I'd trust more as a backup though.

Great news, delighted with that. What a great team man Tom has been for us. It's brilliant that he wants to stay, no interest in going anywhere else.

Bravo Tommy.

Excellent & most welcome news. I expect the Pats structured his contract in a way to free up more cap space for this year to strengthen a few positions with some good value FAs along the OL and at WR/RB/LB. Congratulations to both the Patriots and to TFB.

Saw a headline at Pats Pulpit that basically said that until the Deflagate case is resolved, Garoppolo isn't going anywhere.

Presumably the argment is that until the case is resolved, TFB+ could still be suspended for four games.

If that happens, then the Pats need a QB who knows the system.

Such an argument would seem to make sense.

Not sure if there would be a suitable option for some other QB to come in (e. g., Hoyer) and fill that role.

Back