Brady/Manning rivarly - a different look

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
So with this bye week here and nothing to do but wait until next week for the Pats/Boys game, I got to thinking about Brady and Manning and why their rivalry (if you can even still call it a rivalry given Brady has won) has been unique. It has been analyzed every which way but I had a thought about it.

Manning was the top pick and was supposed to have Brady's career. Brady was a 6th round pick and was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career. So as each QB has gone through their career, Manning's failures (and there have been so many) are magnified more because of expectation and also paired against Brady's achievements (and there have been so many) that it makes Manning look like even worse.

It would be one thing if both were first round picks like Elway and Marino but to have a 6th round nobody who split the starting job in Michigan his senior season with lousy Drew Hensen upstage you has a special kind of hurt. Manning has not just lost to another QB all these years, he lost to a guy who would be carrying his pads and helmet to the stadium if he wasn't TFB. Manning has the football pedigree and the talent to have been everything Brady has become. It is so unbelievable in many ways. What do others think?

Will this year Brady vs manning be a nail biter or to we kick their asa? That is the question lol

Will this year Brady vs manning be a nail biter or to we kick their asa? That is the question lol

Not certain Manning will be starting for Denver by then. He was putrid yesterday almost solely costing them the game with his horrific picks.

I don't know why people are still talking about Brady v Manning, when Aaron Rodgers is miles ahead of Manning and has been for several seasons.

You can take your pick of either Brady or Rodgers, but there's a clear gap before anyone else comes into the picture, (and the next one sure isn't Manning).

Another question is who is going to be the next Brady?

I am not planning asking stats here - i am talking career winning percentage of .750.

That guy may not be in the league right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another question is who is going to be the next Brady?

I am not planning asking stats here - i am talking career winning percentage of .750.

That guy may not be in the league right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Garop, of course. :D

And IMO it's been Rodgers/TB 1 & 1A (take your pick of which is which) since 2010.

The Garop, of course. :D

And IMO it's been Rodgers/TB 1 & 1A (take your pick of which is which) since 2010.

As good as Rogers is as a QB, he and GB have a long way to go to match TB/Pats' playoff records. I'm hoping for a GB/Patriots SB this year. We win.

Your're right, AR and Mikey haven't won the amount of playoff games that BB and TB have. But I view that as more of a BB> MM than an AR< TB thing (even though I wouldn't ever swap QBs with them).

Your're right, AR and Mikey haven't won the amount of playoff games that BB and TB have. But I view that as more of a BB> MM than an AR< TB thing (even though I wouldn't ever swap QBs with them).
The main/minor differences are: Rodgers throws less interceptions than Brady, but despite being much more mobile, Rodgers gets sacked more than Brady.

In BIG games, AR has a habit of spitting the bit. GB should've been in the SB last year. I'll take Brady every time. Brady fights back when he gets hit in the chin. Brady has the mental toughness to succeed where Rogers often fails. I don't know what AR's legacy will be in 10 years but right now he's on course to be thought of in the same sentence as PManning. Jmho.

The main/minor differences are: Rodgers throws less interceptions than Brady, but despite being much more mobile, Rodgers gets sacked more than Brady.

Rodgers also does not have that killer instinct either. He is dead last in comebacks of all the top QBs and he was putrid vs Seattle in the NFCCG last year despite his defense giving him 5 turnovers. He cares more about his QBR which is why he takes the sacks instead of throwing the ball away. I also get the sense that Rodgers lacks Brady's leadership. He has had several of his teammates call him out in this regard. He seems like a guy who believes his crap doesn't stink.

In BIG games, AR has a habit of spitting the bit. GB should've been in the SB last year. I'll take Brady every time. Brady fights back when he gets hit in the chin. Brady has the mental toughness to succeed where Rogers often fails. I don't know what AR's legacy will be in 10 years but right now he's on course to be thought of in the same sentence as PManning. Jmho.

I told O.Z.O. Jr. that if Rodgers doesn't win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR he'll end up being another brettfavre. I just think Rodgers is ultimately soft. He's going to be 32 before the end of the season, really can't be classified as young anymore.

If there was anything left to the rivalry, then it officially died the day of the last Super Bowl. Brady pulled off a stunning comeback (aided by Butler's INT of course) against the same team that absolutely throttled Manning a year earlier.

I still love the scene from the second half of the Super Bowl, when Brady throws his second pick and then the Seahawks score a TD a few plays later.

"His heart's almost gone!" Richard Sherman yells on the sideline. So go ahead and ask him who he'd rather play against with everything on the line.

:patriotlogo:

If there was anything left to the rivalry, then it officially died the day of the last Super Bowl. Brady pulled off a stunning comeback (aided by Butler's INT of course) against the same team that absolutely throttled Manning a year earlier.

I still love the scene from the second half of the Super Bowl, when Brady throws his second pick and then the Seahawks score a TD a few plays later.

"His heart's almost gone!" Richard Sherman yells on the sideline. So go ahead and ask him who he'd rather play against with everything on the line.

:patriotlogo:
Yeah. Feb. 1 tied up all the loose ends on everything, didn't it? Just such a sweet victory.

The commentary is interesting this year, isn't it? It is ALL Rodgers and Brady with the talking heads debating who is better. It is unbelievable when you think of Brady at age 38 coming off that ridiculous off-season being toe-to-toe with Rodgers who is in his prime at 32. There really is no talk of Manning except how he is aging and still the sheriff trying to get it done a different way. But man is he a liability to his team this year. He really should have just retired last year.

I get the sense the networks so badly want to still have Brady/Manning to talk about it but it is over. Any success Denver does have will be do to its blistering defense with Manning playing the game manager/just don't blow it role.

I have to say I am enjoying every minute of this season. And I have not even touched on the mess that is the Colts and Ravens. Ha!

I also get the sense that Rodgers lacks Brady's leadership. He has had several of his teammates call him out in this regard. He seems like a guy who believes his crap doesn't stink.

Those two things are huge reasons I prefer TB to AR. I also HATE how AR is often quite smug publicly. He's like the 10 with an irritating voice. I'd think he was much "prettier" if he didn't talk.

I will defend AR on the 2014 NFCC though. The reason they lost was partly because Suh stomped him ON PURPOSE WITH NO PUNISHMENT and removed his mobility, which is a huge part of his game. A partial week of practice isn't enough to overcome that, IMO.

Manning through 4 games: 98-154 63.6%, 698 yards, 6 touchdowns, 5 interceptions
Brady through 3 games: 96-133 72.2%, 1112 yards, 9 touchdowns, 0 interceptions
<ins class="adsbygoogle" style="display:block" data-ad-client="ca-pub-2131805286890349" data-ad-slot="1721445918" data-ad-format="auto"></ins>

Yeah, a Brady vs. Manning thread. Now, there's a novel idea for a thread.

I understand why the media wants to stir up controversy, but I've never understood it from the standpoint of the fans. But, that's just me.

Anyhow, getting back to the subject matter of the post; I once wrote something about how much I admire Brady for what he has done. Going from a sixth round draft pick to one of the best to ever play the game . . . that's the stuff of which dreams are made. The Cinderella story. You gotta love that.

Manning through 4 games: 98-154 63.6%, 698 yards, 6 touchdowns, 5 interceptions
Brady through 3 games: 96-133 72.2%, 1112 yards, 9 touchdowns, 0 interceptions
<INS class=adsbygoogle style="DISPLAY: block" data-ad-client="ca-pub-2131805286890349" data-ad-format="auto" data-ad-slot="1721445918"></INS>

He is on pace to throw 24 TDs and 20 INTs with probably at least 8-10 pick sixes in there given he already has 2.

Rodney was on the radio yesterday, I think WEEI and they asked him about Manning and he said that this should be his last year as the longer he plays at this level the more we will remember this version of him instead of how great he was prior to decline. Kind of reminded me of Favre the last few years of his career, other than his first year in Minny, he was pretty lousy and then all the drama about him retiring which is kind of like all the drama with Manning's neck surgeries.

Manning had said last year that when he was thinking about retirement part of his thinking was if he would be able to play up to his standards. Given how he has looked this season, he really should have retired. Even if the Broncos do go far this year, he will be just along for the ride trying not to mess it up.

I expect Manning to retire after this season.

As much as we all hate him, he's an all-time great and we hate him more because of how the media treats him than anything else. It's almost sad the rivalry (though lopsided) has nearly come to an end.

As for AR, I'm a big AR fan in terms of his pure talent. I won't be shocked if he ends up owning some pretty big QB records before he retires, but I'm not sure he'll ever end up in the Montana/Brady tier.

Back