Brandin Cooks: 1st Round, 32nd pick (via trade w/N.O.)

bishbash

Tall Earthquake Finders roam the desert
Reaction score
Following the marching orders of Undertaker (asking for separate posts for each draft pick), thought I'd create a thread for Cooks since the Pat's got him using their first round pick.

Here's what Chevss wrote about him to start things off:

"The Pats traded their 32nd pick for Brandin Cooks who is a better WR than either Williams (7) or Ross (9). He's not as good as Corey Davis who I consider an AJGreen type WR but he's more versatile than Corey Davis.

Cooks can play any WR position, he has good hands and he's not afraid of contact. He's fast and he plays fast. Cooks is 23 years with already 2 years of NFL experience - that means a lot. There's no WR left in this draft as good as Cooks. In trading for Cooks, BB drafted his first ever WR in the 1st round. That's how I consider it."

2 thumbs up.

And here's what Mike Reiss says about this "pick":

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots didn't have a selection in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday night, having previously traded the No. 32 overall pick to the New Orleans Saints for receiver Brandin Cooks. Based on the way the first round unfolded, it's a deal that currently holds up well for the club.

In one of the surprises of the night, three wide receivers were selected in the top 10 picks -- Western Michigan's Corey Davis to the Tennessee Titans at No. 5, Clemson's Mike Williams to the Los Angeles Chargers at No. 7 and Washington's John Ross to the Cincinnati Bengals at No. 9.

One way to view that turn of events is that the cost of acquiring No. 1 receivers has gone up. It seems those clubs viewed a big drop-off from those receivers to the next tier, so they felt urgency to pounce early in what is viewed by many as a defense-heavy draft. Or they hoped to trade down and simply couldn't find a deal they liked.

Economics/contract length: The Patriots will have Cooks under contract for the next two years once they officially declare their intention to pick up his fifth-year option for 2018. That will mean Cooks is paid about $10 million in the next two seasons before he is due for a significant extension. Meanwhile, teams like the Titans that drafted a receiver in the top 10 get the edge in terms of contract length -- four years with an option to make it five. But they'll also have to pay more now both in salary and cap space. Specific to Davis, he should earn around $25 million in the first four years of his pact, which includes a signing bonus of about $16 million.

Experience: Although he is already entering his fourth season in the NFL, Cooks is still just 23 years old. His youth, coupled with an already proven body of work, naturally led to the Patriots' comfort in making the trade. That is in contrast to drafting a rookie receiver who is more of a projection at this point, which is especially important in the Patriots' challenging offensive system. As Patriots owner Robert Kraft said at the NFL's annual meeting in March, part of this offseason for the club has been weighing "known value" versus "not being sure."

Prospects who could have helped: If the Patriots had not pulled off the trade for Cooks and kept the No. 32 pick, they could have improved the team in other areas. The Saints used the pick on Wisconsin left tackle Ryan Ramczyk, who plays a position in which New England could be eyeing depth in the future with starting left tackle Nate Solder entering the final year of his contract in 2017. Alabama offensive tackle Cam Robinson falls into a similar category, while the next receivers project to be East Carolina's Zay Jones, Southern Cal's JuJu Smith-Schuster and Ohio State's Curtis Samuel. Cornerbacks such as Florida's Quincy Wilson, Washington's Kevin King, Colorado's Chidobe Awuzie and Michigan's Jourdan Lewis might have also been in consideration based on their skill set and the Patriots' projected need in 2018, with Malcolm Butler scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency. The question to ask: Would any of those prospects be a decided upgrade over Cooks? It's a projection, of course, but the feeling here is that Cooks trumps them all.

According to Field Yates, the patriots just exercised the fifth year 2018 option on Cooks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

According to Field Yates, the patriots just exercised the fifth year 2018 option on Cooks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Just saw that flash up on my phone. They must really rate him, this is great!! We have a genuine stud, speedy outside receiver again.

Many mocks had Howard and/or Peppers going to the Pats. The Pats used those picks instead on Cooks and Gilmore. In the spirit of the OP, the Pats "drafted" them both.

Many mocks had Howard and/or Peppers going to the Pats. The Pats used those picks instead on Cooks and Gilmore. In the spirit of the OP, the Pats "drafted" them both.

Technically, Kony Ealy was our 2nd rnd "draft pick". (pick for player)
But I feel where you're coming from with Gilmore - FA, trade, RFA...what difference does it matter as long as they are Patriots. They're good young experienced veteran players who should be more NFL ready than a draftee.

I'm just shocked the pats would use a first rounder on a receiver. That just never happens.

Exactly. But ssssssssshh

snidelywhiplash.ashx

A 32nd is a first-rounder in technicality only, and Cooks blows away the guys taken in the 1st round this year. That trade was a steal. As for the option, sure, it's a huge $8M, but he was only getting $1.5M this season so it'll still average out to about the same as what Edelman and Hogan are getting. Even if Cooks flames out here big-time, it was worth the risk--but, given his youth and what he's already shown, I think this is a great signing.

Good stuff from Cooks on working with Brady/learning Pats offense.

Brandin Cooks on working with Tom Brady: 'It's amazing'

By: Henry McKenna | 19 hours ago

Brandin Cooks seems to be having a good time working with his new quarterback Tom Brady.

Cooks, who joined the team in a trade from the New Orleans Saints this offseason, was asked how it was going with Brady on Tuesday during a press conference.

“It’s amazing,” he told reporters.

Why, exactly?

“I think you can answer that. Yeah, I’ll let you be the judge of that. He’s just an awesome quarterback and I’m glad to have the opportunity to play with him,” Cooks said. “His attention to detail and how focused he is. It’s something that I look at him and I try to strive for, to be just like that. Obviously, the game on TV, he’s amazing, but to see him now in person in his study habits is awesome.”

RELATED

Patriots rookie minicamp ends without media coverage, because of Bill Belichick
Cooks, who is coming off back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons, has been able to log conditioning and private workouts with his teammates but has been limited from working with them in a formal practice setting. Still, it sounds like he’s worked with all three of the Patriots quarterbacks — not just Brady.

“We’re getting the time a lot to be out there with the quarterbacks,” he said. “Every day it seems like we’re out there with them. Getting used to the three quarterbacks is what it’s been, and getting used to their terminology. Not just their play, but how they say things.”

As Cooks gets to know the offense, the offense will get to know him. Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels will begin to determine how to deploy the versatile receiver, who has a combination of speed and agility that measures beyond the Patriots’ other receivers. As he studies the playbook, he said he is trying to get to know all of the different receiver roles in the Patriots offense — rather than focusing on one.

“I’m just watching the concept and trying to learn the offense as a whole because I have no clue where I’ll be put,” he said. “So the best thing for me is to learn the whole concept so when it comes time to know everything (I will).”

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/09/brandin-cooks-on-working-with-tom-brady-its-amazing/

Good stuff from Cooks on working with Brady/learning Pats offense.

Brandin Cooks on working with Tom Brady: 'It's amazing'

By: Henry McKenna | 19 hours ago

Brandin Cooks seems to be having a good time working with his new quarterback Tom Brady.

Cooks, who joined the team in a trade from the New Orleans Saints this offseason, was asked how it was going with Brady on Tuesday during a press conference.

“It’s amazing,” he told reporters.

Why, exactly?

“I think you can answer that. Yeah, I’ll let you be the judge of that. He’s just an awesome quarterback and I’m glad to have the opportunity to play with him,” Cooks said. “His attention to detail and how focused he is. It’s something that I look at him and I try to strive for, to be just like that. Obviously, the game on TV, he’s amazing, but to see him now in person in his study habits is awesome.”

RELATED

Patriots rookie minicamp ends without media coverage, because of Bill Belichick
Cooks, who is coming off back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons, has been able to log conditioning and private workouts with his teammates but has been limited from working with them in a formal practice setting. Still, it sounds like he’s worked with all three of the Patriots quarterbacks — not just Brady.

“We’re getting the time a lot to be out there with the quarterbacks,” he said. “Every day it seems like we’re out there with them. Getting used to the three quarterbacks is what it’s been, and getting used to their terminology. Not just their play, but how they say things.”

As Cooks gets to know the offense, the offense will get to know him. Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels will begin to determine how to deploy the versatile receiver, who has a combination of speed and agility that measures beyond the Patriots’ other receivers. As he studies the playbook, he said he is trying to get to know all of the different receiver roles in the Patriots offense — rather than focusing on one.

“I’m just watching the concept and trying to learn the offense as a whole because I have no clue where I’ll be put,” he said. “So the best thing for me is to learn the whole concept so when it comes time to know everything (I will).”

http://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/09/brandin-cooks-on-working-with-tom-brady-its-amazing/

Ahh! Tenting.

Cheers

Back