Cam Newton released!

Brian Hoyer has just been released by the Pat's , leaving Mac the lone Indian on the reservation.It's always a murky path when trying to understand BB's thinking.It does'nt seem to make sense.But wait , how much more logical would this be if you saw a new (ish) QB arrive in Foxboro.Like um ...... Jimmy Garopallo.....maybe ????.

There's plenty of speculation for the reasons he was released. His anti-vax stance is a reason that is getting prominently mentioned.
I can't help but wonder how many other players will be released today in part for the very same reason.
I think it is a legitimate concern that your starting QB could be in the same room on a Friday or Saturday as someone who then tests positive. Just like that you lose your starting QB two days before the game.

I don't hate Cam, and I wish him well, and hope he finds another job.

I won't be wishing he was still here, though. To be honest, I was pretty annoyed when the Pats re-signed him in the first place. In fact, I'm still annoyed, evennow that he's gone. Big waste of money that was, and a big waste of time.

We could probably have a solid QB2 with all that time and money.

I was annoyed as well, because I thought Cam was one of the biggest egomanicac loudmouths in sports, but I came to respect him here for embracing and at least attempting to tone down his act to be a Patriot. Looking back, now that it is over, my instincts were that it was a mistake, but I can appreciate that Bill wasn't in a great position to attempt to replace the GOAT and even he could not know the extent of Newton's shoulder and other issues, nor could he foresee the shitshow that was NFL 2020. Nor could anybody else. The sun shown on our asses for almost 20 years and expecting that would continue without a blip was highly unrealistic, although somewhat understandable. There is a whole new generation of Patriots fans that didn't understand what 7-9 felt like. That is was possible. Older fans knew that quite well.

I'd also mention that Cam wasn't purely 100% suckitude last year and had several games where he looked quite sharp throwing the ball and he almost always looked good running the ball. In other words, he gave glimpses of the player that Bill thought he could still be, but none of it was enough in the end. On those nights when it was working, Newton still appeared to be the giant, freakish athlete he was in his prime and it was pretty easy to fall victim to the mirage, but the injuries etc. made that the exception and not the rule.

I don't blame Cam and I don't blame Bill. Sometimes the best plans of mice and men aft gang agley and I can understand the logic in giving it a go.

I do know that, wherever he ends up, I hope he has some success, but if we get to face him I'll feel confident that we'll kick his ass.

According to "reports" ,the reason Cam was'nt traded was simply that no team was willing to offer anything of value in trade.The "nail" in Cam's coffin was his dismal performance Sunday night.

According to "reports" ,the reason Cam was'nt traded was simply that no team was willing to offer anything of value in trade.The "nail" in Cam's coffin was his dismal performance Sunday night.
Sunday night certainly didn't help him. But, IMO, the de facto nail was his "misunderstanding" of the Covid protocols and resulting 5 day absence.

So the obvious question is where does he end up?

Houston?

E-I-EczXoAkKeDO

The way Belichick has handled Cam from the second he got here, I think it's more that he offered Cam the option for a release.

Of course, this.
Who is Mac's current backup? Seriously. Hoyer.
Why wouldn't BB want to keep Cam as a backup? Cam was cheap, knew the playbook well enough and could play in a pinch.

Yeah, Hoyer (and Stidham when he gets off PUP as Hoyer's backup unless he's released).

GIF by Schitt's Creek

I think Hoyer could be just as effective with this roster as Newton could be. No joke. Roster was built to be a slow, moving the chains offense. Hoyer can do that with the new O binkies at least a well as Newton without the controversy.

In most games, even close ones, there are 2 or 3 plays that need a play to be made by the QB.
Hoyer has won 16 games in his 12 year career.
Hope is not a strategy.
The last time Hoyer started and won a game was in 2016 - he also had 4 losses that year - he was 31 years old then.
He's 36 now and we have hope.

Like you, I thought this roster was built to be a move-the-chains offense. I still do but by picking Mac as QB1 I think BB intends to open things up quite a bit more than even he expected when TC began. Mac makes that possible.

Last edited:
Thank you Bill!!!

Who is Mac's current backup? Seriously. Hoyer.
Why wouldn't BB want to keep Cam as a backup? Cam was cheap, knew the playbook well enough and could play in a pinch.

Yeah, Hoyer (and Stidham when he gets off PUP as Hoyer's backup unless he's released).

GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

In most games, even close ones, there are 2 or 3 plays that need a play to be made by the QB.
Hoyer has won 16 games in his 12 year career.
Hope is not a strategy.
The last time Hoyer started and won a game was in 2016 - he also had 4 losses that year - he was 31 years old then.
He's 36 now and we have hope.

Like you, I thought this roster was built to be a move-the-chains offense. I still do but by picking Mac as QB1 I think BB intends to open things up quite a bit more than even he expected when TC began. Mac makes that possible.
I agree that hope is not a strategy. That said, every HC in the league HOPES he never has to play his QB2 except for blowouts. LOL.

Hoyer knows the offense better than Cam did. If they bring him back then it tells us that Josh/BB have faith in what they see. There are others they could go get with a better arm, but if they don't....

Coddled by the media?! Sweet Jesus, the man has gotten savage reporting over the years. The SB loss was pinned on him and him alone and he's never been allowed to forget it. His dress sense, personality, even Zolak was having a go at him for listening to Rap music.

Coddled by the media?! Sweet Jesus, the man has gotten savage reporting over the years. The SB loss was pinned on him and him alone and he's never been allowed to forget it. His dress sense, personality, even Zolak was having a go at him for listening to Rap music.

Why do you keep misrepresenting Zo’s point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Of all the takes I've seen since the release I think Jeff Howe's on the Rich Eisen show is the gold standard, because he comes with facts and not speculation. He basically says that Mac was simply the better QB, and he takes meticulous notes of all the stats at training camp and Cam's numbers were actually DOWN from last year's training camp.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg3kSS5qtE

Why do you keep misrepresenting Zo’s point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not. Zolak was harping on about Cam listening to "Rap" music in between reps. It was a bad look, he's never had a go at other players listening to "music". He knew he fucked up as he apologised and spoke directly to Newton about it. When you look at Zo's history, someone pulled up his tweets from 2011 where he was having bizarre rants at Newton for whatever reason and then you take his comments on Russell Wilson as being "the worst starting quarterback in the NFL" and "he isn't even a quarterback" in 2012.

It's not a good look.

“That’s something I know that’s drawn attention for being racially insensitive,” Zolak said, via Andrew Callahan of the Boston Herald. “I’m sorry for that comment, I didn’t need to make that comment. I should not even ever bring any sort of music into play, because I have no clue what’s going on in a player’s head. It’s been a rough last couple days here, and I wanted to do this on air. It’s the first time I’ve been on air since Thursday.”

Zolak said that he spoke to Newton about the situation.

“I wanted to talk to him before I talked about this, to let him know,” Zolak said. “I got a chance to talk to him, and Cam’s nothing but class. Great guy. He handled it perfect. I mean, that’s between me and him.”

Back