Chargers fuel the fire: Pats miffed by foes' S/B chatter

Denism

Conas ata t?
Reaction score
By John Tomase

The San Diego Chargers apparently learned nothing from Freddie Mitchell, Mike Vanderjagt and other players who opened their mouths before playing the Patriots in the postseason.

If they had, they would understand that no comment is innocuous enough to avoid setting off the Pats.

The two squads meet in the divisional round tomorrow, and there already are rumblings of discontent in the Patriots locker room regarding a lack of respect from the West Coast, where the Chargers have proclaimed they’re going to the Super Bowl.

“We’ll just lay low and let some guys run their mouth a little bit,” Pats defensive end Richard Seymour [stats] said yesterday. “We’ll do our talking on the field.”

Unlike Mitchell, the former Philadelphia Eagles receiver who memorably said he “had a little something” for Rodney Harrison, or Vanderjagt, the ex-Colts kicker who said the Patriots were “ripe for the picking,” the Chargers haven’t overtly called out the Pats this week.

Instead, the Pats are steaming because of phone calls between receiver Reche Caldwell and some of his former Chargers teammates, who insist they’re going to mop the floor with the Patriots tomorrow.

“They don’t think too highly of us, from what Reche says,” quarterback Tom Brady said.

Caldwell seemed amused by the trash-talk, which he characterized as good-natured, but intent almost is secondary in New England, where the Patriots could find disrespect in a papal blessing.

“I still talk to those guys,” said Caldwell, who played in San Diego from 2002-05. “They’re doing a lot of trash-talking, (saying) they’re getting ready for the Super Bowl and things like that. It’s just friendly conversation. That’s it.

“They think they’re the best team in the league. They’ve got the best record in the league, and they’ve been playing real well in all areas of the game. I think they’re looking past us.”

Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, not considered a stir-it-up type by any stretch, has said in recent days his team plans on going to the Super Bowl. That’s not on par with Steelers coach Bill Cowher instructing his players to make Super Bowl reservations before the 2001 AFC Championship Game - he was being practical, but the Patriots took it as a grave insult - the presumptuousness still bothered a number of Pats, who bit their tongues in print.

Gates, for his part, can’t fathom the hubbub. “Sometimes, as a team, if you need to find something to motivate you, so be it,” he said. “I respect the Patriots. I respect what they’ve done. I respect the dynasty. I respect how they emphasize team, whether they know it or not.

“But let me say, when you say Super Bowl, I don’t think it’s disrespecting the Patriots for us to talk about what our goal is. That’s our goal. That’s been our goal since Day 1. That’s going to continue to be our goal. Beating New England is a step toward our ultimate goal.”

No matter. The underdog Patriots can use it as motivation, just as they’re aware of comments the Chargers made following last season’s 41-17 victory at Gillette Stadium, which ended the Pats’ 21-game home winning streak.

As the Chargers left the field, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips let out a whoop and yelled, “That’s an ass-whupping.”

The next day’s Providence Journal quoted cornerback Drayton Florence admonishing a group of onlookers in the bowels of Gillette: “(Expletive) New England and their team. Get the look of shock off your faces. Don’t be shocked. We beat your ass.”

The Pats might not complain about the comments publicly, but it’s a safe bet they’ve come up in private.

“When they played us last year, (Caldwell) knows exactly what his coach said about us leading up to the game,” Brady said. “But that’s kind of like all of us. There’s a lot of pride you have in yourself. Going up against somebody like when we played the Jets, we didn’t think they were any good. But of course they were. You just have to convince yourself they’re not. That’s just the way it goes.”

The Patriots playing the respect card? Now that’s just the way it goes. Should they prevail tomorrow, they’ll likely have some interesting things to say.

Denism on 01-13-2007 at 09:34 AM said:
Caldwell seemed amused by the trash-talk, which he characterized as good-natured, but intent almost is secondary in New England, where the Patriots could find disrespect in a papal blessing.

ROFL

"Spiritu sanctu, tutti uomini..."

"Hey! @#&* you, Pope! You dissin' us?!?"

:::sound of a bodyslam:::

It amazes me how this team will take anything they can find and somehow turn it into someone disrespecting them.

Caldwell still has a lot of friends on the Chargers and they're just doing some good natured ribbing among friends.

There isn't one person in the Chargers organization that has anything but the utmost respect for the Patriots and what they've accomplished.

That being said, don't expect them to throw rose pedals at their feet as they enter the stadium on Sunday.

Bolt Action on 01-13-2007 at 09:47 AM said:
It amazes me how this team will take anything they can find and somehow turn it into someone disrespecting them.

I think a lot of teams do this though. I know Brady still uses his draft status as motivation, and hey if it works, I'm all for it-:)

I guess if it works for you then keep doing it. I find it kind of comical though. If you need to use something someone said and spin it so it will get you up for a playoff game.....well

Bolt Action on 01-13-2007 at 09:47 AM said:
It amazes me how this team will take anything they can find and somehow turn it into someone disrespecting them . . . There isn't one person in the Chargers organization that has anything but the utmost respect for the Patriots and what they've accomplished.

The Chargers have been all over the radio and tv airwaves this week, with public comments as well as the private ones that multiple sources are reporting. Just the simple fact that these guys are out doing TV and radio speaks volumes about how they feel about the Pats (not to mention displaying a crappy work ethic, which trickles down from Schotzy).

Team A is not talking, and they've "walked the walk" before.

Team B, which hasn't done anything except lose in '04 to the Jets, is running it's mouth.

If you weren't a Chargers :Homer: and were a fan of any other NFL team, you'd probably have a better picture of the situation. The Pats will clear it up for you tomorrow.

JD10367 on 01-13-2007 at 09:54 AM said:
The Chargers have been all over the radio and tv airwaves this week, with public comments as well as the private ones that multiple sources are reporting. Just the simple fact that these guys are out doing TV and radio speaks volumes about how they feel about the Pats (not to mention displaying a crappy work ethic, which trickles down from Schotzy).

Team A is not talking, and they've "walked the walk" before.

Team B, which hasn't done anything except lose in '04 to the Jets, is running it's mouth.

If you weren't a Chargers :Homer: and were a fan of any other NFL team, you'd probably have a better picture of the situation. The Pats will clear it up for you tomorrow.

I don't think I'm looking at this through homer colored glasses at all. It's a well known fact the Pats are famous for blowing things out of proportion.

I'm all for this being settled on the field. This game has taken way too long to get here and reading and hearing all of the expert analysis on this game is wearing thin.

I'm confident we have the better team but I'm not dumb enough to believe that it means your assured of a win come game day. If you guys win I'll be one of the first to offer congratulations and will be pulling for you the rest of the way.

Bolt Action on 01-13-2007 at 09:53 AM said:
I guess if it works for you then keep doing it. I find it kind of comical though. If you need to use something someone said and spin it so it will get you up for a playoff game.....well

Well what? Have you guys won something? If this gets them going, then who are you to tell them it's "comical"? They've got 3 trophey's by playing the disrespect card. Have you guys won something? Let's see you guys keep it together this long in the age of the salary cap and free agency. The Steelers thought last year was the beginning of their dynasty too.

Well what?
You are not seriously going there? Are you?

CleatMarks on 01-13-2007 at 10:09 AM said:
Well what? Have you guys won something? If this gets them going, then who are you to tell them it's "comical"? They've got 3 trophey's by playing the disrespect card. Have you guys won something? Let's see you guys keep it together this long in the age of the salary cap and free agency. The Steelers thought last year was the beginning of their dynasty too.
Get out of my Head! Get your own thoughts!

I'll admit it's kind of funny how they manage to do this, but you can't argue with the results.

Look, I'm not looking for a huge smack fest I'm just stating an opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine, I could care less.

Keep hanging onto past accomplishments too. Everyone has to start somewhere.

How dare those Chargers having the balls to think they can make it to the Super Bowl.

A little like you guys looking at last years game and thinking this year will be the same.

That's the thing with you guys, you don't respect anything and your last post just goes to show how little respect you have for the Pats. You've got no, none, nothing to hang your hat on so why are you the one with the smirk?

F@uck your 14 -2 record. Do you think that means a 12 - 4 team is outmatched? Ask some of the other teams left in the wake of Super Bowl playoffs thoughout the years. You've got a 0-0 record right now. Win tomorrow and the next two games and then brag about your team. Until then, you're just jumping up and down with your Internet bravado.

What was funny was the two guys the article mentioned as disrespecting the Pats didn't just have their team lose, they are completely out of the league. (Fredex & Mike the Mouth).

Oh crap, I hope I didn't just fuel D22's "conspiracy" fire...

Bolt Action on 01-13-2007 at 10:19 AM said:
Look, I'm not looking for a huge smack fest I'm just stating an opinion. If you don't agree with it, fine, I could care less.

Keep hanging onto past accomplishments too. Everyone has to start somewhere.

You are one funny dude. Unintentionally funny but funny non the less. You make a post sugesting that the Pats need (by that intimating that they are not good enough or just aren't motivated enough to handle your Bolts) to make up a norespect issue in order to get them ready to play the game.
Then on the other post you say you aren't trying to talk smack yet throw in a line saying that all we have is the past to hang our hats on.
Now tell the truth.
You really didn't see the contradiction in your post? Did you?

Teams need to learn to take it one game at a time. The Chargers can't be thinking of the Super Bowl yet. They have to play on Sunday and whoever wins will play next Sunday in the AFCCG.

It still amazes me that 5 years later, other teams still don't learn. And it's comical coming from a team that hasn't done anything besides this year having a good season and getting the #1 seed.

What I like about the Patriots is that they let the other teams talk because they will do their talking on the field where it counts.

3 Super Bowls baby.

Does THAT work for you?

It's all a mind game with the Pats, they get extra motivation from it. It's a sound strategy. But I also think the Pats get less respect than they deserve. I like it that way though, God knows I couldn't stand a Peytonesque ball washing of Tom Brady by ESPN or others every week.

John Lynch was doing a local interview earlier this week, and he talked about going into the game vs the Pats last year. He said that by the end of the week, the Donk Players were just sick to death of hearing how the Pats were being disrespected, sick of hearing about the greatness of Tom Brady and BB, they just wanted to go out there and hit them in the mouth. We all know the final score of that one.

I see a similiar thing playing out this week. Jeezus, your team has won three Super Bowls in 5 years. NOBODY is looking past them. Sorry if the Chargers aren't scrubbing your teams sack. Sorry if their goal is winning the Super Bowl. Sorry if they are confident.

The more I hear your team whining about being disrespected the more certain I am that we are going to spank you.

Back