Comparing football cultures and preparation

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
I'm on many phone so I can't easily link all the things I want to with this but I felt it was a topic worth raising. Consider this a placeholder and launching point for conversation, more accurate quotes and supporting articles to come tomorrow when I'm home.

Giants: they're on a boat, after clubbing the night away, 5 days before a playoff game vs Aaron Rodgers and the packers.
Chiefs: have the whole week off.
Patriots: practicing in full pads, and virtually everyone in the team is saying things to the effect of 'now is the time to give it your all, whatever you want to do can wait, because if you *don't* Give it your all you'll have all the time in the world to do those things a couple of weeks from now'.

What a team. When people are looking for reasons the patriots continue to dominate year in and year out, it's easy to point to BB and TB, but honestly it's stuff like this, the relentless preparation and pursuit of perfection, that I think is the biggest contributing factor.

I'm on many phone so I can't easily link all the things I want to with this but I felt it was a topic worth raising. Consider this a placeholder and launching point for conversation, more accurate quotes and supporting articles to come tomorrow when I'm home.

Giants: they're on a boat, after clubbing the night away, 5 days before a playoff game vs Aaron Rodgers and the packers.
Patriots: practicing in full pads, and virtually everyone in the team is saying things to the effect of 'now is the time to give it your all, whatever you want to do can wait, because if you *don't* Give it your all you'll have all the time in the world to do those things a couple of weeks from now'.

What a team. When people are looking for reasons the patriots continue to dominate year in and year out, it's easy to point to BB and TB, but honestly it's stuff like this, the relentless preparation and pursuit of perfection, that I think is the biggest contributing factor.

awesome stuff.

Other thing is often, players/coaches on other teams are not sending the same message via the media. On the Pats, it's pretty much lockstep in the media when it comes to football issues. Very good strategy, the team is the thing.

Iron sharpens iron

Just read what the players said after yesterday's practice. It's very revealing imo. Both Brady and BB demand excellence. Players that don't get it or want it enough get culled quickly. Only dedicated players need apply. The culture is one of absolute dedication to excellence and to the team. "Do Your Job" is more than a catch phrase. It's their way of life, it's the Patriot Way.

“I would say the intensity naturally rises when it’s playoff season. The intensity’s definitely there,” acknowledged WR Julian Edelman.
“What’s exciting,” left tackle Nate Solder declared, “is that, it’s win or you go home. That’s high stakes. We have high expectations here. Every game we intend to win.”
“It doesn’t matter what you did in the past, how many years you’ve played, how many Super Bowls you’ve won. It’s about how you play in those games. It’s win or go home. We know what the stakes are,” echoed CB Logan Ryan, “but we can’t change our approach too much because we feel that we do more than enough already. We just have to keep that going. Don’t make it too big [a deal].
“It’s really the same for us. Put the same amount of work in, regardless of whether we play this week or not. Watch the same amount of film. Wish I could get out of here early, but I’m not.”
Ryan went on to explain why he’s not yet starting to prepare for New England’s three potential playoff foes. He isn’t watching film of any Texans, Raiders, or Dolphins receivers because he’s got his hands full with his own wide receiver teammates.
“I’m worried about [Chris] Hogan and those guys, because we’re getting really competitive this week [in practice]. A lot of bragging rights, to go against our offense.”
And who’s had the edge so far?
“Defense is winning,” Ryan smiled.
“Did he say that?” Edelman reacted in mock outrage. “You know, we have fun. Don’t let him say he doesn’t do anything if he gets a ball or knocks a ball down. No, it’s all fun and games out there. Going out and competing against Logan, Malcolm [Butler]… all those guys. It’s a competitive environment. Iron sharpens iron. It’s fun to go out there and compete.
“We don’t know who we’re playing, so, it’s a time to reflect on the year of how we’ve done and what we can do to improve ourselves,” added Edelman. “It’s only an opportunity if you take advantage of the time.”
The Patriots appear to be doing just that.
http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/0...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This is a little premature.

If the Giants win the Super Bowl, and the Patriots lose their first playoff game to Miami...

Another point. Why did Miami announce yesterday that Tanny would not play? Why not wait until game time to say he is not playing and keep the Steelers guessing?

It is things like this that also separate the Pats.

The other side of this is the 07 Superbowl. I think the Patriots practiced too hard and were way too tight for that game.

The other side of this is the 07 Superbowl. I think the Patriots practiced too hard and were way too tight for that game.

I think they were just beat. Giants laid a whopping on them from start to finish with that Dline.

I think they were definitely mentally worn down, plus that's the year they had issues with their hotel etc. AND...this was the year that TomASS sicced the NFL on them during SB prep week with all that walkthrough nonsense. Plus, they simply weren't that great of a team, IMO. They did not get better as the year went on. BB teams that don't do that don't win crap.

I think they were definitely mentally worn down, plus that's the year they had issues with their hotel etc. AND...this was the year that TomASS sicced the NFL on them during SB prep week with all that walkthrough nonsense. Plus, they simply weren't that great of a team, IMO. They did not get better as the year went on. BB teams that don't do that don't win crap.

It has always been my contention that the '03-'04 teams wood have taken them to the woodshed. Not making any predictions, but I have a feeling I'm going to saying the same thing about this year's team as well.

I think 04 definitely would. Best BB team ever. This one could prove to be better, we will see.
I know Parcells says you are what your record says you are. I get what he means (no woulda coulda shoulda, read the W-L) but I don't really agree as far as the quality of the team itself.

I think 04 definitely would. Best BB team ever. This one could prove to be better, we will see.
I know Parcells says you are what your record says you are. I get what he means (no woulda coulda shoulda, read the W-L) but I don't really agree as far as the quality of the team itself.

absolutely agreed. Of all the Pats stuff I have hanging on the walls of my cave, I only have one yearly pennant- '04. O.Z.O. Jr. will tell you that that is the team I compare every other Pats team to...but...

...like you said, this one could be the best. The offense is just so much more dynamic.

Agreed. I also think it was overconfidence, pressure from a perfect season, and the shock of the Giants' D-line. And I do think that nonsense about the walkthrough didn't help. Why Tomase still has a job in this town is beyond me, but then, Borges the Plagiarist and Shank Shaughnessy still do, so there you go.

Issues with the hotel interfered with rest and routine. Just wasn't in the stars. :sulk:

This talk of our cupcake schedule is a bit disingenuous. I look more at WHEN we played a team as opposed to their final record. When we played Arizona, they were not a 7-8-1 team. They were a team that just came off a season where they were one game from the SB. They signed Jones from us to bolster their already stout defense. We went in their house with Jimmy and no Gronk and beat them in a game that was contested from start to finish. IMO that game set the tone for the Pats and for the Cards. In other words, that was NOT a cupcake game or team at the time we play them.

When we played the Jets the first time in NY, we went against Fitz who although was having a rough year, played a great game vs us as did the Jets defense. It was that game that our defense showed the ability to turn the ball over and change the game. Again, Jets are a bad team but when we played them and how they played us at home counts too.

Now fast forward to the last month of the season. BOTH the Ravens and Donks were playoff teams when we played them. In fact their seasons were on the line so they were extra motivated to beat us. We dominated both of them and knocked them out of the playoffs.
We also kicked the Fins butt, a playoff team IN Miami where Brady has not won since 2012. That matters.

So this notion that the Pats are not battle-tested is a myth especially with an 8-0 road record and Brady's historic season. I freely admit that we did not play many top QBs but how many top QBs are there? The only one we may face in this run is in the SB and that is assuming Rodgers or Ryan gets there. If not then we get a rookie in Prescott or Wilson/Hawks minus their best defensive player. I will take that ALL day. And no, I don't count Big Ben even though he can be big time. He just isn't when he plays us and the Pitt defense is not stopping our offense.

Agreed. I also think it was overconfidence, pressure from a perfect season, and the shock of the Giants' D-line. And I do think that nonsense about the walkthrough didn't help. Why Tomase still has a job in this town is beyond me, but then, Borges the Plagiarist and Shank Shaughnessy still do, so there you go.

Issues with the hotel interfered with rest and routine. Just wasn't in the stars. :sulk:

It was John Fing Thomase and his report on February 2nd, the day before the game that fvcked up the mindset of the team.

This talk of our cupcake schedule is a bit disingenuous. I look more at WHEN we played a team as opposed to their final record. When we played Arizona, they were not a 7-8-1 team. They were a team that just came off a season where they were one game from the SB. They signed Jones from us to bolster their already stout defense. We went in their house with Jimmy and no Gronk and beat them in a game that was contested from start to finish. IMO that game set the tone for the Pats and for the Cards. In other words, that was NOT a cupcake game or team at the time we play them.

When we played the Jets the first time in NY, we went against Fitz who although was having a rough year, played a great game vs us as did the Jets defense. It was that game that our defense showed the ability to turn the ball over and change the game. Again, Jets are a bad team but when we played them and how they played us at home counts too.

Now fast forward to the last month of the season. BOTH the Ravens and Donks were playoff teams when we played them. In fact their seasons were on the line so they were extra motivated to beat us. We dominated both of them and knocked them out of the playoffs.
We also kicked the Fins butt, a playoff team IN Miami where Brady has not won since 2012. That matters.

So this notion that the Pats are not battle-tested is a myth especially with an 8-0 road record and Brady's historic season. I freely admit that we did not play many top QBs but how many top QBs are there? The only one we may face in this run is in the SB and that is assuming Rodgers or Ryan gets there. If not then we get a rookie in Prescott or Wilson/Hawks minus their best defensive player. I will take that ALL day. And no, I don't count Big Ben even though he can be big time. He just isn't when he plays us and the Pitt defense is not stopping our offense.

I agree with your point.
One thing John Fox has said that I completely agree with is : "It's not just who you play, it's when and where you play them." I'm not a huge fan of all that "strength of schedule" stuff going by straight W-L numbers either. IIRC the 2010 Pats beat a bunch of playoff teams that year and were a paper tiger. Most attentive fans know when their team is "for real" and when it's not.

I agree with your point.
One thing John Fox has said that I completely agree with is : "It's not just who you play, it's when and where you play them." I'm not a huge fan of all that "strength of schedule" stuff going by straight W-L numbers either.

Agreed. For example, when the Pats beat Denver (especially on the road), I always consider it more significant and impressive, because it's a team that's always given them trouble, even when the Broncos weren't that good.

Winning against them there is a big hurdle. Shoot, we needed an intentional safety to help barely beat them in '03, and that was with one of our all-time best teams.

Winning against Denver is more impressive for us than it is for, say, Pittsburgh or Indy to beat them.

It was John Fing Thomase and his report on February 2nd, the day before the game that fvcked up the mindset of the team.

Agree so much! That weasel didn't bother to check out the 'story' because he wanted to make a name for himself. Well, he sure did. He made such a name that he was tossed off the Patriots beat, forced his newspaper to print a retraction, and was fired by the paper, too. The only reason he's still around is WEEI giving him a job. Guess the 'W' in WEEI stands for 'Weasel'.

What's worse is that people believe the story as gospel. :mad:

Back