Dante Scarnecchia to retire

Dave Deguglielmo

1991-2004 - college OL coach at BC, Boston U., Connecticut and So. Carolina

2005-2008 - GIANTS, Asst. OL coach
2009-2011 - DOLPHINS, Asst. OL coach
2012 - JETS, full OL coach (fired Feb 5, 2013)
2013 - Maryland OL coach

The big thing with Scar is that in addition to his brilliance in developing OL talent, he's officially been Assistant Head Coach for BB's entire tenure with the Pats. BB suddenly losing TWO guys who've been with him nearly forever is NOT a good sign.

I wonder if the Pats might call on Scar in future if they are evaluating an O-line talent that they like in the draft?

Most of the OL guys we've got through the draft have proven themselves to be very good.

Nothing lasts forever. BB and TB have more years behind them than in front of them too. BB is going to hand off the HC job to McDaniel and be happy being a GM. You can be sure there has been a succession plan in place for a long time on all of this stuff. Any solid business does that.

Good for him. He's given this game and this franchise everything he's got for a very long time. He's earned the right to enjoy his retirement years. I hope he's got some fun plans.

Dear God, Wendell might actually regress.

Where's the panic button??

I'm not terribly panicked...

We got about as good of a replacement as we could've asked for in Deguglielmo.
What we need is talent -- draft some big, physical, talented guards and centers.
Between Vollmer and Solder, we're set at tackle. But Wendell frightens me, Mankins scares me just as much in big games, and Connolly is depth at best. Cannon is still unproven at G. He may be the answer next season, but we need a contingency plan if he isn't.

Very sad to hear this....he was maybe the most respected Assistant Coach in the NFL. Everyone who knows the game knows how good he is.

He's been a fantastic coach for the Patriots and will be sorely missed.

Thanks Scar for everything.

You know what this means now....all offseason the talking heads will be saying....man Patriots lost their oline coach, their linebacker coach, this might be the year they finally do not make the playoffs....in other words, the last 6 or so offseasons.

BB will miss him for sure.

"Dante Scarnecchia is a Patriot and NFL legend who defied the phrase ‘not for long,'" said Patriots head coach Bill Belichick. "In an industry of constant change, Dante remained a fixture here for the simple reason that he helped every player reach his highest potential, regardless of who he was, how he was acquired or how much raw talent he had. In whatever category a coach can be assessed - evaluator, teacher, motivator, problem solver, disciplinarian, team player, winner – Dante is as good as it gets. As many games as he helped us win and as much as we would like to work with Dante forever, we are blessed with the opportunity to have been with him as long as we were."

We'll be just fine as long as BB and TB are still with us... Scar is a tremendous OLINE coach, however bringing someone in can re-energize things a bit...Scar deserves to retire, and I'm grateful to have this man part of the Patriots for so long... The Patriots will be in the SB next season...

You know what this means now....all offseason the talking heads will be saying....man Patriots lost their oline coach, their linebacker coach, this might be the year they finally do not make the playoffs....in other words, the last 6 or so offseasons.

Hmm...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/09/04/2013-staff-picks-season-predictions/2768317/

AFC East winner (All 6 picked the pats)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19640313/nfl-season-projections-who-rises-and-who-falls-in-2012

1. New England 12-4

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-preseason-picks.htm

AFC East champion (all 8 picked the Pats)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-preseason-picks.htm

AFC East champion (4/8 picked the Pats)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-09-08-preseason-picks_N.htm

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-09-03-preseason-picks_N.htm

Couldn't find the USA today list for 2012, but it looks like unanimous picks for the Pats every year except 2010...

I am literally crying now.
FVCK.
I love that man.
Losing Scar and Pep in the same offseason is way way way WAY worse than losing the AFCC.

Excellent work ROFL

I guess if I said USA today thinks we are going to fail every year....Believe it or not, there are other media people outside of USA today....What did we hear when our OC and DC left? in 05? What did we hear when we lost Moss? What did we hear when we lost hernandez and welker, what did we hear when we lost Brady, I heard for years over years that our defense was old, even when it wasn't...

I am literally crying now.
FVCK.
I love that man.
Losing Scar and Pep in the same offseason is way way way WAY worse than losing the AFCC.

Not only is he a great coach, but he's been a great coach since he was coaching Special Teams in the 80s.

The Patriots will be just fine without Pepper Johnson. Scarnecchia is a much, much bigger loss, and won't be replaced at the same level. This sucks. :sulk:

I'm not terribly panicked...

We got about as good of a replacement as we could've asked for in Deguglielmo.
What we need is talent -- draft some big, physical, talented guards and centers.
Between Vollmer and Solder, we're set at tackle. But Wendell frightens me, Mankins scares me just as much in big games, and Connolly is depth at best. Cannon is still unproven at G. He may be the answer next season, but we need a contingency plan if he isn't.

I agree. I heard BB on the radio saying Scar was supposed to retire a few yrs ago but stayed on to help with the new guys. BB said he's known since last yr this would be Scar's last yr. Surely by now someone knows what Scar teaches and his methods, :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:, acc to Christian Fauria. But he'd drop his anger as soon he said his piece.

DeGulglielmo has been in the league since '04. He should be fine. Wendell should be replaced this yr and Connolly should be cut to free up $3M in cap space. Cannon would be a serious road grading upgrade to Connolly.

I guess if I said USA today thinks we are going to fail every year....Believe it or not, there are other media people outside of USA today....What did we hear when our OC and DC left? in 05? What did we hear when we lost Moss? What did we hear when we lost hernandez and welker, what did we hear when we lost Brady, I heard for years over years that our defense was old, even when it wasn't...

Well, I'm sure you'll find at least one "talking head" predicting just about anything any given year, if you want to go that route. Seems like most were predicting success for the Patriots, though. :shrug:

Back