Dante Scarnecchia to retire

Not only is he a great coach, but he's been a great coach since he was coaching Special Teams in the 80s.

The Patriots will be just fine without Pepper Johnson. Scarnecchia is a much, much bigger loss, and won't be replaced at the same level. This sucks. :sulk:

Yeah having a great coach like Scar meant that OL from the scrap heap could be coached up to be competent. This could have a lot of draft ramifications as well. Guys may know "Scar's methods" but each coach has to be himself. And part of why Scar is a great coach is that Scar is Scar.

Well, I'm sure you'll find at least one "talking head" predicting just about anything any given year, if you want to go that route. Seems like most were predicting success for the Patriots, though. :shrug:

I have heard the downfall of the patriots for years now...it might be wishful thinking, but I hear it. I cannot blame them, most teams do not have a winning record for 13 straight years....in fact the closest to the patriots has 4.

Not only is he a great coach, but he's been a great coach since he was coaching Special Teams in the 80s.

The Patriots will be just fine without Pepper Johnson. Scarnecchia is a much, much bigger loss, and won't be replaced at the same level. This sucks. :sulk:

And this makes it all the more vital that we don't take our usual approach of "let's find a few interior gems in UDFA" when it comes to the O-line.

Without Scar, we're (most likely) going to need more talent than we've needed before.

Edit: or what HSanders said, really! (I didn't read that post until I'd already replied)

And this makes it all the more vital that we don't take our usual approach of "let's find a few interior gems in UDFA" when it comes to the O-line.

Without Scar, we're (most likely) going to need more talent than we've needed before.

Edit: or what HSanders said, really! (I didn't read that post until I'd already replied)

getting players from the scrap heap and trying to make them work is not just a Oline thing on the patriots, it has covered a wide range of positions.

LOL I was going to ask if you had me on ignore except...you wouldn't have seen it if you did. :D

The only two first round OL under BB were Mankins and Solder I think. I'm not AS worried about tackles, but the interior has been suspect for awhile even with Scar.

LOL I was going to ask if you had me on ignore except...you wouldn't have seen it if you did. :D

The only two first round OL under BB were Mankins and Solder I think. I'm not AS worried about tackles, but the interior has been suspect for awhile even with Scar.

Honestly I never really gave much thought to the oline until this year, they took a big step back. It was one of those area's I never worried about, but this year made me worry, it needs to be fixed.

good for him. He's given this game and this franchise everything he's got for a very long time. He's earned the right to enjoy his retirement years. I hope he's got some fun plans.

ditto!!!!

I heard this while listening to BB's interview on WEEI today. Wow, first Pepper, now Scar! Well, he's done a stellar job for us for decades and deserves some time to himself now. Thanks for everything, Scar! :patriotlogo:

It's talent more than coaching. They were great at finding talented but undervalued players.

Wendell and Connolly notwithstanding.

I agree. I heard BB on the radio saying Scar was supposed to retire a few yrs ago but stayed on to help with the new guys. BB said he's known since last yr this would be Scar's last yr. Surely by now someone knows what Scar teaches and his methods, :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:, acc to Christian Fauria. But he'd drop his anger as soon he said his piece.

DeGulglielmo has been in the league since '04. He should be fine. Wendell should be replaced this yr and Connolly should be cut to free up $3M in cap space. Cannon would be a serious road grading upgrade to Connolly.

On Cannon the coaching staff has said he's a tackle. I know he has played G but I don't think he has the quicks for it. Neal was a superb athlete. Think we need another one of those.

On Scar-on last weeks All Access they had an interview w/ Mankins and he described how the Pats would bring in older vets and they'd ask-you always work this hard? Then they would retire.

You have to wonder if it was known all season within the organization and this the below average line play we saw for much of the year.

Best wishes to Scar as he rides off into the sunset. He should have a place in the Pats Hall of Fame if for nothing else than the length of service to the team. He earned his reputation through hard work and loved that work so much he never tried to move up and he stayed out of the limelight. He was a perfect coach for BB and it sounds like BB will genuinely miss him.

This was clearly planned long ago hence the quick signing and announcement of his replacement, DeGuglielmo. He's got some big shoes to fill and hopefully the snarly old dudes like Mankins will respect him and give him a chance. He'll need to be like a good substitute teacher and command respect from the get go.

Now if the oline sucks next year, we'll have to call it Dante's Inferno. I'm hopeful though that this lights a new spark and the the guys will want to prove themselves to the new coach. Time will tell.

Best wishes to Scar as he rides off into the sunset. He should have a place in the Pats Hall of Fame if for nothing else than the length of service to the team. He earned his reputation through hard work and loved that work so much he never tried to move up and he stayed out of the limelight. He was a perfect coach for BB and it sounds like BB will genuinely miss him.

This was clearly planned long ago hence the quick signing and announcement of his replacement, DeGuglielmo. He's got some big shoes to fill and hopefully the snarly old dudes like Mankins will respect him and give him a chance. He'll need to be like a good substitute teacher and command respect from the get go.

Now if the oline sucks next year, we'll have to call it Dante's Inferno. I'm hopeful though that this lights a new spark and the the guys will want to prove themselves to the new coach. Time will tell.
There should not be a vote, and he should enter immediately...

Sad that shit-show the OL had on Sunday had to be his last game

The NE organization and fans are lucky to have had such a dedicated and knowledgeable coach as Dante. He was an incredible asset, and will be missed.

Best wishes for a long, happy, and healthy life, Scar!

chin_patspractice_spt6.jpg

I guess now we will find out just how good he was.

Maybe the organization will stop bargain shopping thinking that Scar could make a player out of anybody.

Of course, that doesn't explain Mankins suddenly unable to pass block.

Watching Denver's Oline operating made me think how we've overrated our own line for a while now. Those guys, even without Clady, can mash with the best of them and gave up half the sacks we did.

I don't know anything about the guy they are bringing in, but at this point I'm willing to try something different in hopes that we can stop giving up sacks and pressures at critical times.

I hate to say it, but Wendel has to go. He's gotten the maximum possible from the body he's working with, but too often he just gets dwarf-tossed as we saw throught the year and last Sunday. Just too small.

Maybe a different approach is the best thing and I join all who wish Scar a happy retirement. I feel bad for him because I know a little about how hard it's going to be.

Back