Devin Mccourty Stuff

PatsFanDan

Reaction score
So do we have a thread dedicated to Mccourty other than the ones bitching about the pick.

The more I read about the kid, the more I really like this pick. Yes, I am definitely down with being a homer for my team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563691

<i>In the last 38 contests, Rutgers has allowed the opposition to complete 572-of-1,038 passes (55.11 percent) for 7,144 yards, 36 touchdowns and 32 interceptions. Against McCourty, the Scarlet Knights opponents attempted 249 throws, completing just 88 (35.34 percent) for 684 yards and only two scores, an average of 7.77 yards per pass completion. He has allowed just 2.75 yards per pass attempt, the lowest figure of any active player in the Big East Conference.

While those figures are very impressive, they do not tell the entire story of this shutdown cornerback's ability. Against his main pass coverage assignments, McCourty has held those receivers to only 42 receptions for 386 yards on 158 passes targeted into his area, meaning that quarterbacks have completed just 26.58 percent of those tosses and their intended targets were limited to 9.19 yards per pass completion and 2.44 yards per attempt.

Those same receivers averaged 33.84 catches for 430.05 yards (12.71 yards per catch) and 2.47 touchdowns per season vs. other cornerbacks they faced. Devin has proven to be an excellent press coverage defender, as his excellent field vision has seen him make plays on the ball 45.39 percent of the time outside his area, coming to the aid after a teammate had blown an assignment. He has jammed/rerouted those pass catchers away from 148 incomplete attempts (average of 3.84 per game), the most of any cornerback in the Division I ranks during that span.

While developing his shutdown cornerback skills, McCourty is not only a top-notch coverage defender, but has also excelled playing inside the box. He made 91 of his 236 tackles in run support (38.56 percent) and has proven to be a drive-killer, as he registered an incredible 94 third-down stops and 33 more on fourth-down action (38.60 percent of his plays made resulted in killing the opposition's series).

In addition, McCourty has drawn comparisons to former Buffalo Bills standout Steve Tasker for his outstanding performance on special teams. He recorded 23 tackles for the punt coverage unit and 27 for the kickoff coverage squad. He has also blocked six punts and one field goal, as six of those blocks set up Rutgers scoring drives. Four more turnovers generated by the defensive back (three interceptions, one fumble recovery) have also led to Scarlet Knights touchdown drives. He also took over kickoff return duties as a senior, averaging 25.43 yards on 14 returns that included a 98-yard touchdown, third-longest in school annals.</i>

The pick is growing on me as well, venting is cathartic. If he's the shutdown he should be for being picked where he was, then we'll all be happy as clams. Bodden, Butler, McCourty could be a really strong top 3 in a year or two.

Rick Gosselin's final mock draft round 1

24. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Devin McCourty, Cornerback, Rutgers

Not only is McCourty an elite cover cornerback, he may be the best special teams player in this draft. He blocked seven kicks and returned a kickoff for a touchdown in his career. He replaces Sheldon Brown.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnzzalsfFp4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qnzzalsfFp4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

As I said in the other thread, if this kid plays at this level the way he projects, the Pats will be happy to have him.

People have bitched about the loss of Assante and Ty in multiple threads, and if we get someone who fills that role, we should be happy.

The question is what did we pass up to get him. After only one round it is far to early to claim the sky is falling.

Look, if this kid turns out to be a premiere corner in this league, then shame on all of us who are questioning the pick.

As of right now, I think it was a HORRIBLE pick. Although CB isn't a strong area, they do have PLENTY of young ones right now that they've spent some fairly high picks on already.

They needed a RB, WR, or OLB in the first round of this draft. They had plenty of picks to wheel and deal their way into position to get one. Hell, the best WR prospect on the board was sitting there at #22 and #24, yet they balked on the pick.

I know that people fall in love with the sexy picks, but if Dez Bryant turns out to be a beast, this will be the worst draft move of the Belichick era.

As I said in the other thread, if this kid plays at this level the way he projects, the Pats will be happy to have him.

People have bitched about the loss of Assante and Ty in multiple threads, and if we get someone who fills that role, we should be happy.

The question is what did we pass up to get him. After only one round it is far to early to claim the sky is falling.

The thing is, he needs to be better than "good". He needs to be a top corner in the league to justify the pick.

I don't like his size. He's like a clone of every other CB on the roster. I'm just jaded right now is all.

Belichick knows what he's doing.

He knows how to coach, not so sure about how well of a talent evaluator he is.

Maybe he just knows that he sucks at picking skilled position players high in the draft, so he just grabbed a "solid" CB.

I'm not sure about thepick yet... I just hope the Jets didn't get the better of the two. Wilson, through scouts opinions, is the better ball hawk, while McCourty is the better cover guy and run support DB.

The one thing that has been missing in the backfield is a ball hawk but hopefully Butler or Bodden will fill this role.

I'm not sure about thepick yet... I just hope the Jets didn't get the better of the two. Wilson, through scouts opinions, is the better ball hawk, while McCourty is the better cover guy and run support DB.

The one thing that has been missing in the backfield is a ball hawk but hopefully Butler or Bodden will fill this role.
hard to tell which is better right now, Rex likes teh risk takers while BB loves him some solid cover guys who do not make the mental mistake - preference really between the two

The problem with Wilson is that he played against crap competition; looking at the on-line discussion among the so-called "experts" on ESPN.com last night, the major agreement about Wilson was that he played against low-caliber players. One of the writers even said, "Don't forget about this regarding Wilson: he played against players like you and I." (And this was a 40-year old, out of shape guy).

So more than like, McCourty played against better competition, performed well, and like BB said last night, he's a 4-down guy.

It's not what I wanted at all, but if he works out... hey, who knows.

It's not what I wanted at all, but if he works out... hey, who knows.

Well, I wanted the team to get better, and I don't think anyone can say that McCourty doesn't do that.

Yes, we can and have debated that someone else could have addressed a bigger need, but I think we can say that he will help the team.

Another thing to consider is that a first round pick must contribute in their first year.

McCourty will. He'll play on ST and likely fill in somewhere in the dime package, if he doesn't start.

It is debatable if any rookie OLB could start in BB's defense. Yes, I know Mayo did, but he's the exception, IMHO.

Grabbing another corner seemed odd to me but what do I know about the quality of corners now on this team nevermind how good this McCourty kid might turn out to be. I'll pass ultimate judgment onto the experts in Patsland who made the call.

FWIW, all I have read about McCourty seems very positive and encouraging. I don't get the impression that he's only a ST's team guy like many of the critics in here are suggesting. Heck, when I read Gosselin's mock yesterday and read what he wrote about McCourty (elite cover corner and top ST guy) I thought he'd be an excellent choice for the Pats.

I think the issue is many are analyzing this pick in a vacuum, as if it's the only selection the Pats will make in this draft. The Pats have oodles of other picks, including 3 2nd's alone, which they'll use to add other players. It's not as if McCourty is the only guy they'll add this draft. Plenty of other excellent and needed players are soon to be added to this team.

He's going to get a lot of play time, I think.

And what does that say about the other 6 DB's the Pats have drafted in the last couple of years? Or better yet, what does it tell you about their ability to evaluate the position?

And what does that say about the other 6 DB's the Pats have drafted in the last couple of years? Or better yet, what does it tell you about their ability to evaluate the position?

It says that we have a couple of bust players in the second and fourth rounds respectively.

Butler seems to be the real deal and I'm expecting to see a lot of 5 DB's this year. That'd explain this pick to me.

Back