Did the Bucs SB loss Break Patrick Mahomes?

Did the Bucs SB loss Break Patrick Mahomes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • It is more his family

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • It's Andy Reid

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • He is rebelling because Chiefs fans are the worst

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zombies

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
I have been reading ChiefsPlanet since Sunday's game because it has been so delicious and I came across this gem of a thread. The OP wonders if the Bucs SB is when Patrick's game took a step back given his struggles this season culminating with a complete collapse in the second half to the Bengals. What say you? I mean this would not be the first time Brady and his team broke a QB and its franchise.

Here are a few snippets:

From my end I think this year was hard because of a few things and you can probably go back to last years Super Bowl to start it all ... here is why from the Superbowl vs. Bucs to now that I've been brought way down and I'm sure a lot of fans feel very similar.

He does not look like the guy we had in 2018, guy looked fearless and fired up and never lost a game by more than 8 points even with a porous defense. Even with the picks that year was one of the best "eye test" seasons I have ever seen of a QB on any team at any time.

2020, The Super bowl, when he got killed ( I get the Oline) etc although he made some crazy throws that no one could make he seemed "real" for the first time. We got smoked and he wasn't really a game, I think many of us
put Mahomes in that "super hero" mold and that game seemed to break him. (LOL, love it!)

2021 Stats wise people will say this was his worst year but I think this year was just "different". The entire year he looked different than 2018 and 2019, long were the days where he was just spinning it and going down the field, we got smoked by the Bills at home, we got complexly stomped by the titans, this NEVER happened in the first two years or first two year and 2020 leading up to the super bowl. But you could see something was wrong. Again I don't know what it was or what changed and it could be that he has just cracked, I really don't know but he isn't the same quarterback we had in 2018 and 2019.

Here is why I'm a bit Melancholy about Mahomes, in 2018 and 2019 he looked like a cheat code on video games, like he was "way better" than any quarterback we had ever seen in the NFL. I couldn't even think of a comparison in those years, I mean we never lost by more than 8 in two years, that's crazy! Now he still looks good but nothing like those first two years, he isn't as firery, he doesn't seem to have that chip and just kinda does what he does but is must more timid.

Here is where it hurts, the Bengals are not a very good team, sure they are better than average but looking at their win vs. the titans was super fluky, truly a titan collapse vs. a Bengals earing it. But playing us at home, being up 11 at halftime with Mahomes there should of been a zero percent chance we loose the game unless Mahomes get hurt and pulled out of the game. The guy cracked, he is different now and not the 18,19 version anymore. If we had him we win that game 52-21 or something like that. He just isn't what he was and I hope its a "pressure of life kind of thing" and he is able to manage it better.

The true loss to the Bengals hurts the most because we lost to a slightly above average team that lost to the Jets and Browns twice up 11 at halftime with the best QB in football, or at least we all kinda thought that. The reason it hurt more than any other is because he looked broke, like he was a bit apathetic, I hope he figures it out.

The difference as a fan in having the "best QB to ever play the position" vs. "A good top 5 QB currently in the league" are very different.

Maybe this is just the real Mahomes, the one from college with wildly inconsistent mechanics with a playground style, that stuff will eventually catch up to you in the NFL. It will be interesting to see how he does when he no longer has someone like Hill that's a threat to turn any 5 yard pass into a 80 yard TD(he's likely gone after 2022). I know he's done well with Hill out at times but it's a small sample size. His contract and 40-50mil yearly cap hit is going to start really dictate how that team can be built/sustained going forward. I think when his career is over he'll be in the 2nd tier of great QB's, no GOAT talk, or not even the greatest of his generation.

Last edited:
having sampled the ChiefsPlanet's undercurrent of despair and hatred toward The NE Patriots | Brady over the years, w/ Mahomes' imurgence, the populace there have had a blossoming of hope and optimism that THEIR TIME is nigh

if the Brady | Bucs SB loss really broke Master Patrick, I don't think the Chiefs would have made the AFCCG this year

for all the braying yahoos CP breeds, I did find in the thread titled: "For All the Talk of Patriots Fans being Assholes" :)
this statement ray of hope amongst the mob discussing the recent AFCCG loss........

The narrative here since Mahomes got here has been, not matter how badly everyone else plays or how dire the circumstance, Mahomes can make the difference to make it better. That narrative is dead now, it's worm food.

Add in that the history of the NFL is REPLETE with players that have dominated until they were broken in high profile moments like this. It happens a million ways, but it always happens. The game is humbling. Brady's biggest edge is never, over decades, being broken by a failure. It's not his skills, it's his resolve, his refusal to accept failure AND his ability to accept setbacks, no matter how devastating and reset his vision on not accepting failure.Aside from him though, many have been broken by devastating reality checks just like this.
ChiefsPlanet - View Single Post - Chiefs For all the talk of Patriots fans being assholes...

so you see, Brady has broken some KC Chiefs fans in the sense they can blossum into a state of reasonableness :cool:

Now I don't know what Mahomes' NFL ceiling is yet, but I will continue to watch his play w/ great interest

I would say that that Mahomes the single best "thrower of footballs" that I have watched. He is not the best "Maker of Decisions" that I have seen and he definitely seems to have dialed up the hero ball to 11

I am only going by my impression but Mahomes usually only plays 30 minutes of football. When it is in the 1st half his team loses, when it is in the 2nd half his team usually wins.

I do think he has been somewhat figured out by defenses and it did start with the Tampa SB. That was the first time his tendencies were used against him. The cover 2 has really shook him although at times he has shredded it. I also wonder if that half billion contract is also playing in his head and he feels like he has to do more to prove his value.

Last year the Bucs defense made him look awful. This year the Bengals defense in the 2nd half made him look awful. However, the Bills defense did not adjust and made him look like the hero.

Like most Super Bowl losers, I think teams are starting to find the weaknesses in the armor. Plus the arrogance of the Chiefs touting themselves as "The New Patriots" the "Next Dynasty", why did McD take the job as the Raiders HC when all they would be guaranteed is 2nd place at best?" (yes a chiefs fan actually said this). I think they got full of themselves and now the humble pie is being served to them very cold. I think their fans are as arrogant if not more arrogant than many Pats fans. I certainly know that Kelce is extremely arrogant. Perhaps this era of their "Dynasty" is being knocked down a few pegs.

Like most Super Bowl losers, I think teams are starting to find the weaknesses in the armor. Plus the arrogance of the Chiefs touting themselves as "The New Patriots" the "Next Dynasty", why did McD take the job as the Raiders HC when all they would be guaranteed is 2nd place at best?" (yes a chiefs fan actually said this). I think they got full of themselves and now the humble pie is being served to them very cold. I think their fans are as arrogant if not more arrogant than many Pats fans. I certainly know that Kelce is extremely arrogant. Perhaps this era of their "Dynasty" is being knocked down a few pegs.
Works for me.

Someone needs to work with Mahomes on his mechanics. Like he should recruit Brady for some private lessons. I don't think he's broken but the thing that makes him so fun to watch, the improvisational scrambling and awkward arm angle throws, needs to be significantly reduced from his game. He's gotten so dependent on the unconventional that he can't make the routine plays with any consistency.

I think he may be mentally fragile too at this point. He first two season were just so incredible, including winning a Super Bowl and league MVP, that the expectations went through the roof, probably including in his own mind, and now not living up to those expectations for the last two seasons, he's probably just spent mentally. He needs a good therapist, and I'm not meaning that in a lighthearted way, he needs to get himself mentally refreshed.

I still consider Mahomes the most talented quarterback in the league (although Josh Allen is gaining ground rapidly). And I think he'll end up with a HOF career with multiple league MVP's and 1-3 more Super Bowl titles. I think of all the great young quarterbacks in the NFL, he has the best chance of finishing with the most Super Bowl rings.

I still consider Mahomes the most talented quarterback in the league (although Josh Allen is gaining ground rapidly). And I think he'll end up with a HOF career with multiple league MVP's and 1-3 more Super Bowl titles. I think of all the great young quarterbacks in the NFL, he has the best chance of finishing with the most Super Bowl rings.
I don't believe in KC that much nor do I think Reid coaches long enough.

I don't believe in KC that much nor do I think Reid coaches long enough.
Mahomes is merely 26 years old. He probably plays for another 13 seasons. Including the postseason he's 58-16. His yardage and TD rates are ridiculously great. Despite the bad second half in the AFCCG, his postseason stats are superb. I really don't see him turning into another Aaron Rodgers.

I am only going by my impression but Mahomes usually only plays 30 minutes of football. When it is in the 1st half his team loses, when it is in the 2nd half his team usually wins.

An exception being the AFCCG in 2018/19, when KC was shutdown in the 1st half, offensively produced in the 2nd, but some timely stops and Brady + Gronk + JE + some timely Rex/Sony was enough to hang on.

Mahomes is merely 26 years old. He probably plays for another 13 seasons. Including the postseason he's 58-16. His yardage and TD rates are ridiculously great. Despite the bad second half in the AFCCG, his postseason stats are superb. I really don't see him turning into another Aaron Rodgers.
I think expecting a QB with that playing style to play until he's almost 40 is being wildly unrealistic.

I think it is quite possible. Losing "the big one" has knocked great teams down a peg for which they never recovered. Seahawks are probably the team I can most recently recall. That's why I find the Pats last Super Bowl championship so impressive, because it was on the heels of a SB loss.

It's also why I don't make any "Bills stands for 'Boy I Love Losing Superbowls'" jokes, because I can't fathom how a team could keep it stitched together for 4 straight years under those circumstances. Juvenile pity and laughter has been replaced with a great amount of admiration from me; it's hard to even get to a championship and winning one is even harder.

But back to the original point, I don't think it is solely on Mahomes. I think Andy Reid is a fairly overrated head coach and, to me, that has been a part of it. I also think that team laid down in the 2nd half when they needed to, couldn't get their fight back. That's team culture and it's allowed in KC.

Someone needs to work with Mahomes on his mechanics. Like he should recruit Brady for some private lessons. I don't think he's broken but the thing that makes him so fun to watch, the improvisational scrambling and awkward arm angle throws, needs to be significantly reduced from his game. He's gotten so dependent on the unconventional that he can't make the routine plays with any consistency.

I think he may be mentally fragile too at this point. He first two season were just so incredible, including winning a Super Bowl and league MVP, that the expectations went through the roof, probably including in his own mind, and now not living up to those expectations for the last two seasons, he's probably just spent mentally. He needs a good therapist, and I'm not meaning that in a lighthearted way, he needs to get himself mentally refreshed.

You bring up a good point about his throwing motion(s). Those awkward angles will take a toll on him physically as well.

He is talented for sure, records yes, Super Bowls, maybe imo. The Super Bowl thing is a team win imo.

His mental toughness is a question mark and to me that's the most difficult part of playing QB. If he has the yips, I agree, he needs to seek counseling.

I think it is quite possible. Losing "the big one" has knocked great teams down a peg for which they never recovered. Seahawks are probably the team I can most recently recall. That's why I find the Pats last Super Bowl championship so impressive, because it was on the heels of a SB loss.

It's also why I don't make any "Bills stands for 'Boy I Love Losing Superbowls'" jokes, because I can't fathom how a team could keep it stitched together for 4 straight years under those circumstances. Juvenile pity and laughter has been replaced with a great amount of admiration from me; it's hard to even get to a championship and winning one is even harder.

But back to the original point, I don't think it is solely on Mahomes. I think Andy Reid is a fairly overrated head coach and, to me, that has been a part of it. I also think that team laid down in the 2nd half when they needed to, couldn't get their fight back. That's team culture and it's allowed in KC.
The Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, Panthers, 2001 Rams.

I 100% agree about the Bills, to even get there 4 straight years was an accomplishment imo. They just had the misfortune of facing a dominant Redskins team and two dominant Cowboys teams.

Well said about the Chiefs and another perspective.

With the throwing style he has, he will be noodle arming passes by the time he's 33. Rodgers is a different beast in that depeartment because he sat on the bench for 4 years before becoming a starter.

I 100% agree about the Bills, to even get there 4 straight years was an accomplishment imo. They just had the misfortune of facing a dominant Redskins team and two dominant Cowboys teams.
The real misfortune for the Bills was facing the Giants and going up against their defensive coordinator. The defensive game plan from that Super Bowl is now in the Hall Of Fame.

I think that DC later went on to become a head coach.

The real misfortune for the Bills was facing the Giants and going up against their defensive coordinator. The defensive game plan from that Super Bowl is now in the Hall Of Fame.

I think that DC later went on to become a head coach.
Who was hated by his players, if I recall.

Back