Don't count out the Pats!

patsRmyboys on 01-10-2007 at 04:45 PM said:
*sigh* Yeah, he had a better record playing against the dregs of the league... Jokeland Faiders? Those 2 games were gimmees and if I remember correctly Jokeland was up on your "great defense" like 20 to 3 at one point until they fell apart like they did all year. That being said, there are cracks there and the Pats have a knack of turning cracks into gaping exit wounds.

Actually, he had off days against the Raiders. If anything, Rivers padded his stats OWNING Denver, twice, a team Brady could not lead you past, last season, or this season.

Seriously, whoever thinks Rivers is better than Brady is pretty stupid. It's only been one year. Try winning a couple of championships.

I'm sure if Rivers didn't have LT, he wouldn't have the same numbers.

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 06:40 PM said:
Hmmm... I can't seem to find your QB on this list. Wonder why? The San Diego QB is listed, but not the New England QB. :thumb:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/afc_roster

Holy Shit that is so comical I can't stop laughing.
We've seen heard this stuff before. Go over to the Steelers board and ask them how it worked out. And the Rams for that matter.

Preechr on 01-10-2007 at 07:38 PM said:
Well, LDT did lead his team to a better record. The Charger offense did score more points than the Patriots offense. And Rivers did finish the year with a higher QB rating. So what is your excuse for Brady finishing on the disrespected end of the comparison? Is it maybe the fact that the Chargers are simply a better football team and Cam Cameron is proving to be a hell of a coach?

You can obsess on Martyball all you want. Martyball is dead. Cam Cameron is the one you need to worry about.
Fixed that for you.

If you are really going to try and argue that Rivers is better than any of the AFC playoff qb's this season, you're delusional.

Like I said, win something first. Break a record or two. Winning 14 games in the regular season means sqaut. Trust me I know better than most here.

I'll just toss this out there: what's happened during the Brady/Belichick Era when the Patriots have faced NFL MVP's in the playoffs?

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams (Super Bowl XXXVI) - 28/44, 365 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT; 3 rush, 6 yards, TD... Patriots 20, Rams 17
Steve McNair, Tennessee Titans (2003 Divisional Playoff) - 18/26, 210 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT; 2 rush, 12 yards... Patriots 17, Titans 14
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts (2003 AFC Championship) - 23/47, 237 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT; 2 rush, 4 yards, 1 fumble lost... Patriots 24, Colts 14
Manning again (2004 Divisional Playoff) - 27/42, 238 yards, 1 INT; 1 rush, 7 yards... Patriots 20, Colts 3

The point I'm trying to make should be clear. League MVPs in the playoffs against the Patriots DO. NOT. WIN. Mr. Tomlinson, I believe your seat is waiting...

Gawd, Cam Cameron a hell of a coach?!

Trust me, I saw what he did when he was coaching IU, and believe me, it wasn't pretty.

I'm not sold on the Chargers, sorry. Rivers may very well be a good QB, but he's still a rookie. BB is gonna show him things he's never seen before, and he's gonna have trouble running the offense. Sure, LT will probably do well and get his yards, but... if I look at the QBs and coaches of these two teams, I pick the Pats to win.

And I'm a Colts fan, so don't take this as being a homer for the Pats. It's just how I see it.

BoltsOwnU on 01-10-2007 at 08:07 PM said:
Actually, he had off days against the Raiders. If anything, Rivers padded his stats OWNING Denver, twice, a team Brady could not lead you past, last season, or this season.

Uhhh yeah...off days to the whack-ass Raiders. well let's agree on this, shall we? He better have the game of his very short career on Sunday. One of those "off" days as you put it and then it'll be lights out. Imean for Christ's sake, the boy is a rookie for all intents and purposes and you're trying to sell that he's better than Brady? Tom "****ing" Brady, 2 time SB MVP. please just stop, it was cute at first but now it's just getting sad...

patsRmyboys on 01-11-2007 at 02:39 PM said:
Uhhh yeah...off days to the whack-ass Raiders. well let's agree on this, shall we? He better have the game of his very short career on Sunday. One of those "off" days as you put it and then it'll be lights out. Imean for Christ's sake, the boy is a rookie for all intents and purposes and you're trying to sell that he's better than Brady? Tom "****ing" Brady, 2 time SB MVP. please just stop, it was cute at first but now it's just getting sad...

In the regular season this year, Rivers was better than Brady, period. In the Post season, we'll just have to wait and see. OVerall, Brady has the career. This season, Rivers was better; probably because he played on a better team with more talent around him. Though he didn't get to beat up on the AFC East, he did have to survive and win in the AFC West, a division that has OWNED Brady throughout his career.

This year, Rivers was better, no escaping it. Especially when you throw in a pathetic, gutless, heartless no-show like BRady did against Miami, I cannot believe there is a dispute.

Post-season until now, Brady is amongst the top.

Cletusaurus on 01-11-2007 at 07:44 AM said:
I'll just toss this out there: what's happened during the Brady/Belichick Era when the Patriots have faced NFL MVP's in the playoffs?

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams (Super Bowl XXXVI) - 28/44, 365 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT; 3 rush, 6 yards, TD... Patriots 20, Rams 17
Steve McNair, Tennessee Titans (2003 Divisional Playoff) - 18/26, 210 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT; 2 rush, 12 yards... Patriots 17, Titans 14
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts (2003 AFC Championship) - 23/47, 237 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT; 2 rush, 4 yards, 1 fumble lost... Patriots 24, Colts 14
Manning again (2004 Divisional Playoff) - 27/42, 238 yards, 1 INT; 1 rush, 7 yards... Patriots 20, Colts 3

The point I'm trying to make should be clear. League MVPs in the playoffs against the Patriots DO. NOT. WIN. Mr. Tomlinson, I believe your seat is waiting...
So the Patriots do well against quality QB’s. Big deal. Tomlinson is not a QB. He is a running back. While not in the Belichick era, the last time the Pats faced an MVP running back (Terrell Davis / Denver ’98), they lost. In 2000 (Marshall Faulk / St Louis) and 2005 (Shaun Alexander / Seattle), the NFL had MVP running backs but the Patriots simply weren’t good enough to face them in the playoffs.

Now here is a bit of trivia for you. Of the three running back MVP teams I mentioned, all three went to the SuperBowl. As you know, that is not the case at all with MVP Quarterbacks. It seems those super quality quarterbacks are not all they are cracked up to be. Taking my quality running back against your quarterback, I like my odds.

Preechr on 01-11-2007 at 06:17 PM said:
Taking my quality running back against your quarterback, I like my odds.

And were Brady and Tomlinson playing each other one on one, you'd probably get pretty good odds.

Seeing as the entire TEAMS will be playing, Annihilus likes his own odds.

Annihilus on 01-11-2007 at 04:22 PM said:
And were Brady and Tomlinson playing each other one on one, you'd probably get pretty good odds.

Seeing as the entire TEAMS will be playing, Annihilus likes his own odds.

BoltsOwnU sees why Annihilus likes his odds. They are super close on this match up. By same token, BoltsOwnU likes odds for Chargers.

BoltsOwnU loves chance to speak third person and include Annihilus. Like Obi-Wan having a moment with Yoda. Most excellent, it is.

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 05:14 PM said:
Coaching - Pats slight edge
QB - Pats slight edge
front 7 - Chargers slight edge

RB - Chargers edge
FB - Chargers edge
WR - Chargers slight edge
TE - Chargers edge
O-Line - Chargers edge
Secondary - Charger slight edge
Special Teams - Chargers edge

Just how I see it.

OMFG. I just found this thread. ROFL

Pats "slight" edge in coaching and QB? Chargers edge everywhere else?

Too funny. :Homer:

JD10367 on 01-11-2007 at 07:29 PM said:

Other than Coaching and QB, where do you think the Pats have any sort of advantage?

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 06:40 PM said:
Hmmm... I can't seem to find your QB on this list. Wonder why? The San Diego QB is listed, but not the New England QB. :thumb:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/afc_roster

And this pretty much sums up your total lack of football knowledge.

The f-in Pro Bowl?

You're attempting to say that Rivers is better than Brady because he won a popularity contest and a free trip to Hawaii?

ROFL

JD10367 on 01-11-2007 at 04:29 PM said:

Ok, so why not man up and try to justify the ridicule??? I'd say more than slight edge on coaching. As for QB, Rivers was better than Brady in the regular season, Brady has the experience. Do we totally ignore Rivers' season-long performance to satisfy you, or can you take Brady's nuts out of your mouth long enough to be objective? Slight edge.

As for the rest, please indulge us all with those areas where you feel Thumper is so embarassingly off-base??? If you can, provide a few stats, and I'll respond in kind. However "Patriots History/Mystique" is not a recognized stat other than perhaps on the sheet-set adorning your twin bed, so please try to be sensible. . .:D

BoltsOwnU on 01-10-2007 at 08:07 PM said:

Too bad it's not Denver he'll be facing on Sunday, then, ain't it.

Preechr on 01-11-2007 at 06:17 PM said:
So the Patriots do well against quality QB’s. Big deal. Tomlinson is not a QB. He is a running back. While not in the Belichick era, the last time the Pats faced an MVP running back (Terrell Davis / Denver ’98), they lost. In 2000 (Marshall Faulk / St Louis) and 2005 (Shaun Alexander / Seattle), the NFL had MVP running backs but the Patriots simply weren’t good enough to face them in the playoffs.

Now here is a bit of trivia for you. Of the three running back MVP teams I mentioned, all three went to the SuperBowl. As you know, that is not the case at all with MVP Quarterbacks. It seems those super quality quarterbacks are not all they are cracked up to be. Taking my quality running back against your quarterback, I like my odds.

Aaaaaaaand you're wrong. TWO of the three running back MVPs made the Super Bowl- Marshall Faulk's Rams were bounced in the Wild Card round by the New Orleans Saints in 2000.

#1Patsfan_chica on 01-10-2007 at 08:16 PM said:
Seriously, whoever thinks Rivers is better than Brady is pretty stupid. It's only been one year. Try winning a couple of championships.

I'm sure if Rivers didn't have LT, he wouldn't have the same numbers.

I've often heard the guys on WEEI talk about this--particularly Callahan in the morning, IIRC, who often wonders what Brady would do if he had a wideout like Marvin Harrison the way Manning does. Or, in this case, a back like Tomlinson AND a tight end like Gates, the way Rivers does.

With LT and Gates, you could actually argue that just about ANY half-decent QB could do well. Let's see Rivers the Boy Wonder do it with Reche Caldwell as his #1 pass-catcher...

Cletusaurus on 01-11-2007 at 07:39 PM said:
Aaaaaaaand you're wrong. TWO of the three running back MVPs made the Super Bowl- Marshall Faulk's Rams were bounced in the Wild Card round by the New Orleans Saints in 2000.

edited....

You are right.

JD10367 on 01-11-2007 at 04:38 PM said:
Too bad it's not Denver he'll be facing on Sunday, then, ain't it.

Not at all. Historically, they always play us tough. Unlike the Pats who, in their own house last year, grabbed their ankles and gave it up faster than Paris Hilton on exctasy. . .

Play like that this weekend, and it will go down as the biggest lopsided loss in your franchises history. Its possible, unlike us, games come along where your team just doesn't show up, period. It's pretty sad actually.

Back