Dungeons and Dragons

blantyr's post was really good.

I'd just like to add a few other comments.

The key thing about any RPG is the R. You're playing a "role". What role is up to the individual.

If your son decides to play a Lawful Good character, and is true to that role, then anything he would do in the game would probably be exactly the type of behavior your wife would want him to have in real life.

The Wiki page on alignment should help explain.

A Lawful Good character typically acts with compassion and always with honor and a sense of duty. A Lawful Good nation would consist of a well-organized government that works for the benefit of its citizens. Lawful Good characters include righteous knights, paladins, and most dwarves. Lawful Good creatures include the noble golden dragons.[citation needed]

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict: for example, in upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm; or where legal injunctions conflict, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler

As others have said ,the experience is totally dependent on the dungeon master running the game.

There's an art to doing that, and a good one can make it a very fun experience. A bad one can make it like pulling teeth.

Something else to consider, is that there are other types of tabletop RPG's that are not fantasy based.

We played quite a bit of Traveler when I was in school as well. I think I had more fun playing that than D&D.

Of course, that may have had more to do with what happened in a certain sequence of games played.

So if your son really wants to play, maybe your wife won't be so opposed to one of those games.

anyone play the game Magic? This was mentioned as something interesting to my boy.

Absolutely.

Just a card game with specialized cards. It is kind of like taking baseball trading cards and using them to play a fantasy baseball game. There are thousands and thousands of different cards, and they come from different sets, and can be rare, very rare, uncommon, common, etc... So you build a deck that you think will play well and play.

There really is no role playing, just a fantasy based collector card game.

You can buy pre-made decks to start off.

I've never played, but am familiar with the crowd....it's very similar, except that your adventures play out depending on which cards you have (it is a card game rather than a board game or RPG like D&D). It doesn't really inspire the same kind of imagination as D&D, IMO, but it's a very social activity and there are places that hold regular tournaments in pretty much every town that has a comic shop. Harmless fun.
that's what I have gathered and I think it is easier to play then the other ones requiring imagination. Again I am open to it and love his imagination especially when his mind is a math mind yet his writing is excellent helps with development of imagination for sure.

you know I may buy a D & D game to try with the kids some rainy camp weekend.

that's what I have gathered and I think it is easier to play then the other ones requiring imagination. Again I am open to it and love his imagination especially when his mind is a math mind yet his writing is excellent helps with development of imagination for sure.

you know I may buy a D & D game to try with the kids some rainy camp weekend.

Getting into D&D can be complicating and intimidating to people unfamiliar with it. There are so many options/rules/books available that it can be daunting. It's a lot easier to pick up if you are introduced by someone that can show you how to play rather than learning to do it on your own....but it can be done. It's much less complicated than it might seem, but does require more time of you than say a game of Parcheesi or Monopoly.

If you're just looking to dip your toes in the water, I'd recommend a basic starter set. That's what I started with and then branched out into the more voluminous books. Had a hell of a good time with that starter set though! Of course that was 33 years ago and this set is different, but the concept is still the same.

If I lived up in that neck of the woods, I'd show you and yer yute how it's done :wink:

Getting into D&D can be complicating and intimidating to people unfamiliar with it. There are so many options/rules/books available that it can be daunting. It's a lot easier to pick up if you are introduced by someone that can show you how to play rather than learning to do it on your own....but it can be done. It's much less complicated than it might seem, but does require more time of you than say a game of Parcheesi or Monopoly.

If you're just looking to dip your toes in the water, I'd recommend a basic starter set. That's what I started with and then branched out into the more voluminous books. Had a hell of a good time with that starter set though! Of course that was 33 years ago and this set is different, but the concept is still the same.

If I lived up in that neck of the woods, I'd show you and yer yute how it's done :wink:
It was a great game to play drinking beers with your buddies while killing Dragons. The more drunk we got the sillier we got...

ok truth is, IF I can learn and take the boy to a Cosplay event, maybe I can role play with some of the ladies later that night.

ok truth is, IF I can learn and take the boy to a Cosplay event, maybe I can role play with some of the Elves later that night.
FYP
larp2.jpg

blantyr's post was really good.

I'd just like to add a few other comments.

The key thing about any RPG is the R. You're playing a "role". What role is up to the individual.

If your son decides to play a Lawful Good character, and is true to that role, then anything he would do in the game would probably be exactly the type of behavior your wife would want him to have in real life.

The Wiki page on alignment should help explain.

As others have said ,the experience is totally dependent on the dungeon master running the game.

There's an art to doing that, and a good one can make it a very fun experience. A bad one can make it like pulling teeth.

Something else to consider, is that there are other types of tabletop RPG's that are not fantasy based.

We played quite a bit of Traveler when I was in school as well. I think I had more fun playing that than D&D.

Of course, that may have had more to do with what happened in a certain sequence of games played.

So if your son really wants to play, maybe your wife won't be so opposed to one of those games.

That's all well and good.

But the missing aspect is there's already a D&D club. The sons reaching out. Trying to do something enjoyable and in the process possibly make new friends and acquaintances.

Let the poor kid live.

I grew up in a town where they had book burnings. It made me want to play it even more because if parents and the churches don't like it... it must be awesome (like joining the KISS Army)! I continued to play even when I was in the Army. I've since played more Online versions but haven't played table top D&D in a long while.

Developing math and reading skills can be a side bonus to playing the game. There's a reason a lot of them game nerds of the 80's became the millionaire computer programmers of today.

Wizards of the Coast has come out with some box set board games that play more like a "Board Game" and not some much as a "Role Playing game".

I bought the Ravenloft board game and used that to introduce my son to D&D.

I hope it all works out for you and your family.

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm pretty sure that my wife will never change her mind. I just think I needed to feel like I wasn't alone in the way I was thinking.

The humor was appreciated, trust me.

I can always count on the planet to make me feel better.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure that my wife will never change her mind. I just think I needed to feel like I wasn't alone in the way I was thinking.

Thanks again.
two words.Donkey Punch.

When she wakes she'll ask you what happen? Just say we were role playing...:coffee: She'll say Gee D&D aint so bad after all...

two words.Donkey Punch.

When she wakes she'll ask you what happen? Just say we were role playing...:coffee: She'll say Gee D&D aint so bad after all...

You are a wreck, my friend. Not that it isn't true but yer a wreck.

This is even more true if you're trying to be a dungeon master without ever having played the game yourself.

It's a bit of a challenge simply to lean how to play the first time. Trying to figure out how to run an adventure is a whole nother level.

Thanks again.

Pick your battles on both sides just food for thought.

~Dee~

That's all well and good.

But the missing aspect is there's already a D&D club. The sons reaching out. Trying to do something enjoyable and in the process possibly make new friends and acquaintances.

Let the poor kid live.

I guess I wasn't clear.

It appears the issue his wife has is that D&D has "evil" "devil" creatures and that's what she's concerned about.

It could be worth a shot to ask her feelings about some other type of RPG that doesn't have those "evil" elements. If you can get her to admit that it isn't the RPG aspect, then you have an opportunity to discuss alignment and point out how their son could actually be a "good guy" fighting evil.

No guarantee, but it's a possible way to move the discussion forward.

Also, just because it's a "D&D" club doesn't mean it exclusively plays D&D. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. It couldn't hurt to ask the teacher that.

If they don't as others have mentioned, many game stores run RPG games on the weekend, maybe he could find one of those and see if they run some other flavor RPG.

If the wife doesn't object to RPG's in general, then that may be an opportunity to accomplish the same thing. Let the son meet other people and play.

Yeah, he could play Pathfinder instead.

A big ole cup of coffee

Sent from my Enigma Device.

Back