Dungeons and Dragons

I find this a very interesting dynamic. I didn't realize this issue was real and serious until I saw a certain cartoon made to warn of the evils of D&D. I won't post the comic itself, as I don't want to offend anyone's beliefs, but here is the link to see it for those who have an interest: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp This is not satire or humor, this is a real thing someone made that many people apparently get guidance from. I'm not sure what the hubbub is, maybe it's because the universe that the game takes place in is a polytheistic (read "pagan") worldview, and maybe that makes certain church leaders nervous, having kids running around having a good time pretending to be pagans.

Of course this doesn't help out our OP much, but I think he's figured the thing out, really, as far as it goes, and sadly the issue is more one of family dynamics than it is about the contents of the game.

anyone play the game Magic? This was mentioned as something interesting to my boy.

Magic is a collectible card game (CCG). First, you must borrow or buy the cards necessary to build a deck. Then, using the cards you bought, you build a deck, picking those cards that you think will work well together. It is traditionally a 2 person game, but can be played with 3 if necessary. If there are four players, usually you will just have 2 separate games of Magic. It doesn't scale well for adding more players.

You can also buy "starter decks", which are pre-built decks, so you can just open them and immediately start playing. Once you get familiar with the game, just collecting the cards and tryign to build a better deck is half the fun, but for newcomers, this is a perfectly good way to start to learn the game. Besides, its hard to build a deck when you don't evenknow how to play.

I strongly encourage all forms of advanced gaming. Kids start with Chutes and Ladders, move on to perhaps Life or Clue or Monopoly (where everyone gives up after getting bored after an hour). There is an entire universe of higher level strategy games, both board and card based, but parents don't know about them, or care to play them, so usually kids never get to that next level.

They encourage strategic thinking, planning ahead, resource management, and frankly, living in the Northeast, there are alot of bad weather days.

Glad to answer more questions.

I find this a very interesting dynamic. I didn't realize this issue was real and serious until I saw a certain cartoon made to warn of the evils of D&D. I won't post the comic itself, as I don't want to offend anyone's beliefs, but here is the link to see it for those who have an interest: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp This is not satire or humor, this is a real thing someone made that many people apparently get guidance from. I'm not sure what the hubbub is, maybe it's because the universe that the game takes place in is a polytheistic (read "pagan") worldview, and maybe that makes certain church leaders nervous, having kids running around having a good time pretending to be pagans.

This is stunning. So incredibly stupid words can't really begin to describe it.

Nice to see you over here Amnorix!

I've read several of the threads at CP about the alleged Minor Equipment Violation in the AFC Championship game and at times you are on quite the island. But from what I read, you were doing a great job at rationally explaining things. :thumb:

Nice to see you over here Amnorix!

Thanks! You'll probably see more of me around. I expect to be hanging out here alot more going forward.

I've read several of the threads at CP about the alleged Minor Equipment Violation in the AFC Championship game and at times you are on quite the island. But from what I read, you were doing a great job at rationally explaining things. :thumb:

Well, I certainly tried.

I expect to be splitting my time between here and there alot more going forward. While I still like some of the folks over there, alot of the guys that I really liked and had respect for have left over the years, or have become alot less active. My overall participation was down quite a bit during hte offseason, except for the deflategate crap.

Figure a change of scenery will do me good.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Kgx2b1sIRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> :coffee:

Superstition

Of course this doesn't help out our OP much, but I think he's figured the thing out, really, as far as it goes, and sadly the issue is more one of family dynamics than it is about the contents of the game.

Decades ago, when D&D was new, it was quite common to use real world ancient pantheons and gods as part of adventures. If one wanted to draw your imaginary sword and do battle against Thor or Lucifer, the game companies would provide the rules to do so. Thus, you'd have a bunch of kids throwing around the names of ancient beings of power in fun. This did tend to freak out certain religious types.

Also, every once in a while any bunch of kids will do something stupid. There are enough D&D players that the occasional something stupid happened, still happens. The sort of people who get freaked out by the real world occult names got into "see, I told you so" mode. Obviously, the game caused the stupidity, not the inherent nature of kids.

These days, just to evade some of the bad press, D&D, Pathfinder and most other big name fantasy role play companies make up their own pagan pantheons. The style is the same, but the names of the supernatural beings are changed to protect the kid's souls. Not that those with occult paranoia would know this or care.

I don't know that you can argue with some types of religious thinkers. It's a well established superstition that D&D is of the devil. Jesus never said anything against it, nor Saint Augustine, but there is a tradition based on not that much that D&D is the devil's work. One could use a plot line or story setting involving dark magic in a movie, a play, a novel, a TV show, a video game, or any other form of entertainment but desk top role playing, and it would be acceptable. However, there are a lot of parents who have had zero experience with the art form, that have heard rumors from like thinking people, and are thoroughly and irrationally prejudiced against it.

In my experience, you just can't communicate rationally with people that think that way.

I apologize in advance if something similar tomy perspective has been articulated by someone else above.

Forget the D&D yes or no decision. Focus on the fact that your son already had his answer and went about dividing his parents.

For this alone, the answer (in my book) should be no.

That said, I am as Catholic as they come and have no issues with D&D. Played as a kid and enjoyed the hell (ha!) out of it. Really depends on how good the DM is.

I apologize in advance if something similar to my perspective has been articulated by someone else above.

Forget the D&D yes or no decision. Focus on the fact that your son already had his answer and went about dividing his parents.

For this alone, the answer (in my book) should be no.

That said, I am as Catholic as they come and have no issues with D&D. Played as a kid and enjoyed the hell (ha!) out of it. Really depends on how good the DM is.

Decades ago, when D&D was new, it was quite common to use real world ancient pantheons and gods as part of adventures. If one wanted to draw your imaginary sword and do battle against Thor or Lucifer, the game companies would provide the rules to do so. Thus, you'd have a bunch of kids throwing around the names of ancient beings of power in fun. This did tend to freak out certain religious types.

Also, every once in a while any bunch of kids will do something stupid. There are enough D&D players that the occasional something stupid happened, still happens. The sort of people who get freaked out by the real world occult names got into "see, I told you so" mode. Obviously, the game caused the stupidity, not the inherent nature of kids.

These days, just to evade some of the bad press, D&D, Pathfinder and most other big name fantasy role play companies make up their own pagan pantheons. The style is the same, but the names of the supernatural beings are changed to protect the kid's souls. Not that those with occult paranoia would know this or care.

I don't know that you can argue with some types of religious thinkers. It's a well established superstition that D&D is of the devil. Jesus never said anything against it, nor Saint Augustine, but there is a tradition based on not that much that D&D is the devil's work. One could use a plot line or story setting involving dark magic in a movie, a play, a novel, a TV show, a video game, or any other form of entertainment but desk top role playing, and it would be acceptable. However, there are a lot of parents who have had zero experience with the art form, that have heard rumors from like thinking people, and are thoroughly and irrationally prejudiced against it.

In my experience, you just can't communicate rationally with people that think that way.

There's actually a long history of various things "corrupting our youth" that aren't necessarily religious based.

Back in the 50's it was comic books, which lead to the industry adopting the Comic Code Authority

There was the kerfuffle in the '80's with Tipper Gore, et al about "rock and roll" music.

Recently video game violence has been an issue, including as being a factor for Columbine

IMHO, the common element is the "Think of the children" meme and not religion.

I forgot about Tipper until you said her name and now the awful image of her and Al sucking face at a debate just returned.

Thank you.

I forgot about Tipper until you said her name and now the awful image of her and Al sucking face at a debate just returned.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Are you talking about this

xWuvk2.gif

I searched but couldn't find a thread where this was addressed. Sorry if it already has a thread.

My 12 year old came home from school all excited yesterday. His favorite teacher at school was starting a Dungeons and Dragons Club. The club meets during school hours in a Flex period. It was only open to the first 15 students that signed up. He begged me to let him.

I had no problem with it.

Unbeknownst to me, he had discussed it with my wife the night before (I was at school until 9:30PM) She was adamant against (she's a little closer to the Church than I am.)

So around 7:30 last night, my house erupts with the fury of the Battle of Helms Deep. I had to form a unified front with my wife and the answer was no.

Poor kid was so upset. I talked to him this morning and we are going to try and get him into a few baseball clinics this winter. He seemed OK with that but I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience (either as a parent or participant) with this game? I'm just curious.

All kids try it. But you're in the doghouse because your sad, disappointed kid put you there. Whwnever I pulled the "OK then, let's try Dad" trick there were consequences. If he were mine, he'd be paying the price and knowing it. He would not be getting comped. I'd get him the stuff you mention, but on it'own, with no reference to his D&D Disappointment. Just MO, Meanwhile, on a matter of a kids activities, She acted unilaterally then you acted unilaterally. This never happens if EITHER of you had consulted the other. Just sayin. And good luck.

Cheers, BostonTim

All kids try it. But you're in the doghouse because your sad, disappointed kid put you there. Whwnever I pulled the "OK then, let's try Dad" trick there were consequences. If he were mine, he'd be paying the price and knowing it. He would not be getting comped. I'd get him the stuff you mention, but on it'own, with no reference to his D&D Disappointment. Just MO, Meanwhile, on a matter of a kids activities, She acted unilaterally then you acted unilaterally. This never happens if EITHER of you had consulted the other. Just sayin. And good luck.

Cheers, BostonTim

I know. He never has done that in the past (play the "if mom says no ask dad" card)

He brought this up on Tuesday night with my wife. I am in school until 9:30 and not home until very late. We never had the conversation that we should have had.

Her response on Tuesday was no. I'm guessing it was then that he plotted to ask me.

My wife and I are fine. Anyone that knows me knows that I put her through hell for a number of years until I found a way to get myself straightened out. While I'm not perfect, things are better now than they ever have been.

On a side note, we have a house full celebrating my daughter's 19th birthday. My in-laws are watching "Pope TV" right now. Way too much.

:shrug_n:

I know. He never has done that in the past (play the "if mom says no ask dad" card)

He brought this up on Tuesday night with my wife. I am in school until 9:30 and not home until very late. We never had the conversation that we should have had.

Her response on Tuesday was no. I'm guessing it was then that he plotted to ask me.

My wife and I are fine. Anyone that knows me knows that I put her through hell for a number of years until I found a way to get myself straightened out. While I'm not perfect, things are better now than they ever have been.

On a side note, we have a house full celebrating my daughter's 19th birthday. My in-laws are watching "Pope TV" right now. Way too much.

:shrug_n:
Did you guys tailgate before the big game?

Thank you.

Love means never having to say you're sorry. :coffee:

I was in Manhattan yesterday and suffice it to say that I would have rather seen Gandalf in his white robe than Pope Francis.
What a freaking circus.

Back