Ebner Taking a Leave of Absence

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
What????

Is this news to anyone but me?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...iots-nate-ebner-to-chase-rugby-olympic-dreams

Nate Ebner is setting aside the Patriots' red, white and blue to chase the gold.

The special teams ace is taking a leave of absence from the team effective Tuesday to begin training for the United States rugby team and the summer Olympics, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The news comes on the same day the Patriots announced they signed Ebner to a new contract. Ebner has been a core special-teams player in New England, appearing in 47 games over the past four seasons. Ebner was third on the team with 11 special teams tackles in 2015.

Ebner, 27, was an All-American rugby player at Ohio State. The Patriots selected him in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

"First and foremost, I want to thanks the Patriots from top to bottom for giving me the opportunity to come back and play for a truly first class organization," Ebner said Tuesday. "I also want to thank them and USA Rugby for giving me the opportunity to chase a dream I've had since I was a boy in a sport in which I've always had a passion. I can't put into words how much this opportunity means to not only me, but my friends and family as well.

"I plan to represent the Patriots and our country to the best of my ability. Thanks again and go Pats and go USA."

Ebner will train at the U.S. Olympic training facility in Chula Vista, Calif. Ebner will rejoin the Pats after the Olympic rugby competition concludes on Aug. 11.

I remember Robert Edwards' injury all too well.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rXIIW1Bs52M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best of luck to Nate :toast:

Follow

New England PatriotsVerified account
‏@Patriots
We are proud to support @Natebner34 in his effort to earn a place on the United States National Rugby team.

I find the whole thing a bit odd with the Pats apparently giving tacit permission and a new contract for Ebner to "chase his dreams" even though it could end up hurting the team in a minor way.

Having said that, I'm really curious to see what he can do and I remember well the electrifying film of Ebner playing in the "Ohio State 7's". If you haven't seen it then do yourself a favor:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5P94LZzurYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ebner is plainly a man (beast?) among boys at that level.

I've watched him develop with some curiosity ever since seeing those clips and think he is an excellent ST'er who even got some effective snaps on D last preseason and sporadically during the regular season -- which a lot of folks never thought could happen.

I'm not saying Ebner could help the US line up and compete against New Zealand or some of the other rugby powerhouses, but I'm pretty sure he won't be intimidated by anybody.

I find the whole thing a bit odd with the Pats apparently giving tacit permission and a new contract for Ebner to "chase his dreams" even though it could end up hurting the team in a minor way.

Having said that, I'm really curious to see what he can do and I remember well the electrifying film of Ebner playing in the "Ohio State 7's". If you haven't seen it then do yourself a favor:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5P94LZzurYM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Ebner is plainly a man (beast?) among boys at that level.

I've watched him develop with some curiosity ever since seeing those clips and think he is an excellent ST'er who even got some effective snaps on D last preseason and sporadically during the regular season -- which a lot of folks never thought could happen.

I'm not saying Ebner could help the US line up and compete against New Zealand or some of the other rugby powerhouses, but I'm pretty sure he won't be intimidated by anybody.

Thanks, Hawg. I'd never seen that before. The kid shows some skillz!

While we're at it, Brady posted today that he's going cliff diving again in the Bahamas. I don't mind that so much as long as there's no goats in the pics. :rolleyes:

Well, if he is training for the Olympics, one can assume he won't be sitting on his couch eating Bonbons and will be in terrific shape when he returns.

I assume the Patriots would have some type of injury protection built into the contract.

While we're at it, Brady posted today that he's going cliff diving again in the Bahamas. I don't mind that so much as long as there's no goats in the pics. :rolleyes:

Goats > cliffdiving > girly waterslide pics. :D

They must hold Ebner in pretty high esteem considering they wouldn't let Demps compete in track and stay a Patriot.

The exposure to injury concerns me. But as far as ways to spend the offseason, there are far worse ways I can think of.

Good luck to Nate, I hope he makes the team.

Really dumb question - it says he's taking a leave of absence so has he been released? Is there a roster exemption?

Really dumb question - it says he's taking a leave of absence so has he been released? Is there a roster exemption?

No nothing of the sort. He's excused from the team to pursue olympics. He reports back to the team in August. I don't think there is any roster adjustment involved.

Yay for him! Rugby is a great game, I used to play a lot.

Potential for injury is really in the head area for any football player as the tackling technique is very different. I remember playing in the business schools world rugby cup in Duke in NC years ago where many of the US teams had just brought in football players and they ended up getting horrific head injuries and concussions because they were launching into tackles head first straight into our knees, hips etc all the bony parts.

Ebner will be fine as he knows the game and hopefully he makes the team. Would be great exposure for Rugby in that way to have an NFL player on the side.

<iframe width="600" height="338" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sxn9pF7UFOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's cool with me if it's cool with Bill.

In the (now deleted) video interview of Belichick at the recent Boston business conference, BB spoke very proudly of Ebner going for the US Olympic Team.

Here's another recent Try by Ebner:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3q7bOPLt1-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back