Eric Moulds

runnerone

Reaction score
So do the Pats pull a Dillon-esque manouver and trade a 2nd round pick to the Bills for Moulds??

After ten seasons, the guy wants to win, maybe a one or two yr incentive laden deal for him would be just the ticket.

The Bills don't seem in any hurry to release him, so maybe with the right bit of barder, they'd let him go.

Didn't want to high jack the Givens thread where this subject came up, so started a new thread..

Any thoughts?

It's been a thought. If he is traded, here are his salary numbers:

2006 6089000.00
2007 7250000.00

That would need to be restructured I think, which he refuses to do with the Bills. He won't come cheap.

Count me amongst those that think it would take a King's ransom for the Bills to trade him within the division.

I think he is done physically. No speed...not like he had speed to begin with and 10 years in the league takes a toll on your skills.

I'd pass on Moulds

Undertaker #59 said:
It's been a thought. If he is traded, here are his salary numbers:

2006 6089000.00
2007 7250000.00

That would need to be restructured I think, which he refuses to do with the Bills. He won't come cheap.

I read where Moulds said he would restructure but he would not take a pay cut. He also stated that if he had to take a pay cut he'd rather do it for another team one that has SB potential....in other words he wants a ring and he's willing to pay for it. (i.e. a lower pay check) Obviously he doesn't think the bills can take him to the promise land.

Benign Despot said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NYET

NON

Bad attitide - too much cash and skills going in the wrong direction

I don't know entirely about the bad attitude theory after all they said the same thing about Cory Dillion. I think Mularkey was a buffoon in his play calling and over all offense game plans much of the time in Buffalo and like Dillion moulds after a time became frustrated. Who could blame him, most of these guys want the money but as they get older the ring and championship comes more into focus as they know they can't play the game forever and time is running out on their ultimate goal and dream. I guess labeling Moulds a bad ass with an attitude isn't really warranted right now and I do think he'd play for NE for far less $$ than he would buffalo. Buffalo is starting the rebuilding process all over again something Moulds has seen at least 4 times in his tenure with the Bills.

Wandering Athol said:
Count me amongst those that think it would take a King's ransom for the Bills to trade him within the division.
excuse me WA.....

BB traded Drew Bledsoe to the Bills. I think Senile Braintrust in Buffalo owe the Pats one back :eek:

Getting Moulds to replace Givens at the #2 receiver spot might not be a bad idea, except for the fact that he'd be a short-timer.

bump_miloflorence.jpg

I just took a look at the remaining UFAs at WR, and I'm starting to think, besides K Johnson, Caldwell might've been the cream of the crop (that's not a good thing). Unless the Pats are going to tip their toes into the RFA market and go after someone like Curtis or Burleson, there are no real bona-fide #2s out there to be had.....unless there are some June 1st cuts like Moulds the Pats are banking on (maybe that's why they're saving their $$ :shrug: ).

Although I think the Pats have now, more or less, pretty much locked themselves into drafting a receiver or two in the draft, I think it would be unwise to think the Pats will get #2 type of production out of a rookie no matter what round they're taken.

Possible opening day WR corps I could live with:

Branch
Moulds/K Johnson
Caldwell
T Brown
Rookie
Rookie/B Johnson

Off KFFL's Hotwire (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl):

Bills | Moulds granted permission to seek trade
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:33:34 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Buffalo Bills have granted permission to WR Eric Moulds to seek a trade. "We are shopping Eric," Moulds' personal adviser, Greg Johnson, said Tuesday, March 21. "Obviously, we would much rather have Eric released. But if we can work out a trade, we will. But if not, we're back to Square 1 and Eric won't play for the Bills. He doesn't want to play for them, and he will not play for them." Johnson said several teams already have expressed interest in Moulds since the Bills granted their permission on Friday. Johnson added that the team has set parameters on what it would seek in return in a potential trade, but did not provide details.

------------------------------------------

With Moulds' high cap number for 2006, he holds some leverage with the Bills. IMO, no team is going to trade for him unless they are assured that he'll restructure his contract. Hence, Moulds could effectively force the Bills to cut him before June 1st. I strongly doubt the Bills would be willing to call his bluff and keep him through 2006.

I would expect the Pats to at least bring Moulds in to see what it might take to sign him, but not offer the Bills very much, if anything, in trade value.

Let the games begin!

Man, I don't know. For all those that say 'Non', 'No'...exactly who is TB gonna be throwing to this year?

Bethel? I guess so. Because Reche ain't a number 2. And how many more injury prone athletes can we carry? At least one more, so it seems.

If Troy goes, I just don't know. Think about it folks. If Troy goes. He's done some of ya will say, right? Loyalty works both ways.

No Troy. No Willie. No David. No Matt. No Fauria. No Neal? No Ashworth? Are WRs gonna be cut like the wind on June 1? Does anyone know of the WRs who are on the bubble for big bonuses or whatever on June 1? Because I need to hear some hopeful news right about now. No way is TB gonna be able to throw to 3 rookie WR's. We can forget more than a 2 WR set at this point. There's Deion and Reche, until Reeche pulls a hammy, at least, and um, pray for rain? Does that work in football?

I agree it'll be hard to wrest Moulds from the Bills...and while I think the dude has lost a step or two, consider who's been throwing him the fball. Not TB. That's fer sure. And at this point, we may well have to overpay for the Keyshawns and Moulds of the NFL...agents aren't stupid. Someone has to play for the Pats, right? And last time I checked, the Pats aren't gonna let 20Million+ dollars sit on the table, are they?

Normally, I'm really a positive guy. But this offseason happens to coincide with my entry on this board...and this offseason, no matter what anyone says...it's been a disaster thus far. Say what you want, but we haven't fille hole *one* yet.

I guess the pats are going to at least talk to Moulds.

The Patriots agreed to a two-year deal with cornerback Chad Scott, outbidding the Jets for his services. Scott was placed on injured reserve by the Patriots Oct. 12 with a shoulder injury, playing just three games . . . Vinatieri called Packers vice president Andrew Brandt to tell him he appreciated how well the Packers treated him during his visit to Green Bay last week. ''We were disappointed but wish him the best," said Brandt, who was Vinatieri's first agent . . . The Patriots have made an informal initial inquiry on Buffalo wide receiver Eric Moulds, who has been given permission to seek a trade after the former All-Pro wouldn't take a paycut . . . Left tackle Matt Light said he is progressing well after breaking his right fibula last season. ''I've been working out in Foxborough every day," Light said. ''I'm doing well. All that stuff is behind me."

link

From one of the silly Scout sites:

By Keith Jasper

Date: Mar 23, 2006

After rejecting two contract restructure proposals from the Buffalo Bills, Eric Moulds has started to pursue options for leaving the Bills. The top teams with interest in Moulds are the Denver Broncos leading in interest, followed by the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Philiadelphia Eagles, and New England Patriots.

Mike Reiss is reporting the following:

Count the Houston Texans among the teams interested in trading for Buffalo receiver Eric Moulds, according to the Houston Chronicle. The Patriots are also interested and the Chronicle reports the Bills are asking for a fourth-round draft choice.

4th round? That seems a no brainer to me.

I guess the big issue is working out a contract.

If the deal was "4th round pick and veteran minimum salary", then it's a no-brainer. It's doubtful that whoever the Pats could take at WR with their 4th-round pick would be any better than Moulds, even on the downside of his career.

However, the sticking point here is Moulds' salary. Is he worth $2M a year? $1.5M? Despite the fact that the Pats currently have a receiving corps of Deion Branch, Troy Brown, and Bethel Johnson, I'm not sure Moulds is worth big bucks. On the other hand, they need SOMEONE to put out there opposite Branch.

I really wish they could've gotten Keyshawn, but Carolina overpaid for him. Unless they have another plan, looks like we'll finally see those two-TE sets we've been waiting for (assuming they don't have to stay in and max-protect for the O-line....).

Update:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/14195503.htm?source=rss&channel=philly_football

According to a source from one of the five teams on Moulds' wish list, which also includes New England, Seattle, Kansas City and Denver, the wide receiver is looking for a contract similar to the one Isaac Bruce signed with the St. Louis Rams 2 weeks ago.

Bruce, who is a year older than Moulds, signed a 3-year, $15 million contract with the Rams on March 10. He had been released by the team a few days earlier, before the league agreed to a new labor extension with the players that significantly increased the salary cap.

Moulds has as much chance of getting a $5 million-a-year deal from the Eagles as Saddam Hussein does of getting an acquittal. Whether he'll get it from anyone else remains to be seen.

"Right now, the money aspect is out of whack," said one league general manager. "If he wants to get traded, he's going to have to come to grips that he's not going to get that. Or maybe he will. Maybe there's a team that's willing to pay him that."

-----------------------------------------

I'll re-post what I wrote in an earlier thread:

Just a thought: if the Patriots suspect Moulds won't last until June 1st, they could offer a 4th rounder (Pats have 2, 4th-rounders) to Buffalo for Moulds, and approach Moulds about taking a Keyshawn-like deal: 4-yr, $14MM, w/$5MM bonus. Moulds is a year younger than K Johnson and didn't touch the ball as much as Keyshawn earlier in his career (less wear & tear). Hence, he would be much more likely to finish out his contract on a productive note.

The Pats have NINE regular picks plus probably TWO comp picks in this year's draft. IMO, this would be an excellent way to put one of them to use for an immediate gain. The one thing that could muck up this deal is BUF seeking a premium to trade Moulds in the division.

Back