ESPN Players Poll: Most Clutch QB

dchester

Snoop Dog
Staff member
Reaction score
A present for Middie:

:)

ESPN: Players Poll, Most trust Tom Brady in clutch

FOXBOROUGH, Mass -- When New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman is asked why Tom Brady is the clear-cut choice as the quarterback any team would want in the huddle with two minutes remaining and the Super Bowl on the line, he is quick with his answer.

"Look at his résumé," Edelman said.

Edelman and others around the NFL did just that in making Brady a runaway winner in ESPN.com's NFL Nation Confidential anonymous player survey.

Brady received 128 of a possible 320 votes, outdistancing Peyton Manning, who tallied 86 votes.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...iots-voted-qb-most-players-want-clutch-survey

nfl_TwoMinute_560x655.jpg

Wow that's pretty cool. TB had sort of an up and down year even taking into account all the upheaval around him but it sure was nice to see some of those last minute drives were still in him.

Surprising Eli was so low, I guess a year of 27 ints kinda makes people forget.

Good evidence right there why TB is most disliked. >)

I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick's emphasis on situational football plays into this. I've been reading a book by Bill Walsh that explains how to perform well in high pressure situations, and the short version is to plan for every possible situation ahead of time, so when it happens when the pressure is on, you can make the right decision.

Walsh used to plan for all sorts of situations you might find yourself in at a football game so that when it happened, he wouldn't have to come up with the right decision under pressure when we don't perform as well.

You're far more likely to perform well in a certain situation if you've practiced it beforehand. So while I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from Brady (and anyone who wants to yell like I am can stfu) I do think Belichick and staff should get some credit as well for properly preparing his football team to perform.

I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick's emphasis on situational football plays into this. I've been reading a book by Bill Walsh that explains how to perform well in high pressure situations, and the short version is to plan for every possible situation ahead of time, so when it happens when the pressure is on, you can make the right decision.

Walsh used to plan for all sorts of situations you might find yourself in at a football game so that when it happened, he wouldn't have to come up with the right decision under pressure when we don't perform as well.

You're far more likely to perform well in a certain situation if you've practiced it beforehand. So while I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from Brady (and anyone who wants to yell like I am can stfu) I do think Belichick should get some credit as well for properly preparing his football team to perform.

Now you've done it.

Now you've done it.

What can I say? I like living on the edge.

On a serious note, I'll paraphrase Bill Walsh again: anyone who handles the football is an extension of the entire organization from the players and coaches to the guy who cuts the grass and answers the phones.

Personally I think the simpleminded notion that "Tom Brady is just clutch" to actually diminish the amount of work and effort it takes to perform during high pressure situations. As if Tom just shows up on Sunday and magic happens. That's nonsense. That article Tim posted proves that. All that stuff Brady was talking about going through, that's a result of practice and preparation.

The magic is that both TB and BB have the same philosophy, and are on equal footing in their respective roles. They rely on one another to push the limits to achieve their desired results.

It's a rare occurrence, and it's the main reason only 4 other organizations can be considered to be a dynasty.

The magic is that both TB and BB have the same philosophy, and are on equal footing in their respective roles. They rely on one another to push the limits to achieve their desired results.

It's a rare occurrence, and it's the main reason only 4 other organizations can be considered to be a dynasty.

Oh come on, you know that Brady does nothing and the coaches just make him clutch....the player just has to show up and all of the sudden he is clutch...I am sure no other coaches in football actually teach this, only Brady's coaches...Like take Manning for instance, he has had some clutch issues because well....you know...coaching...I mean because telling someone how to execute is the same as actually executing...What I amazed at though is how a defensive minded coach can discover an offensive system that nobody in the NFL can copy and it turns QB's into hall of famers...pretty impressive. All seriousness, I imagine most things in football are a result of coaching and the player, and this includes....*gasp.....Peyton, that is why teams hire coaches, so I guess anytime we show a result for a player that says something good about him, we can just tie on, but the coaches made him that way.

Oh come on, you know that Brady does nothing and the coaches just make him clutch....the player just has to show up and all of the sudden he is clutch...I am sure no other coaches in football actually teach this, only Brady's coaches...Like take Manning for instance, he has had some clutch issues because well....you know...coaching...I mean because telling someone how to execute is the same as actually executing...What I amazed at though is how a defensive minded coach can discover an offensive system that nobody in the NFL can copy and it turns QB's into hall of famers...pretty impressive.

Idiot.

Not just TB, but the whole organization buys in (something else Walsh talks about in his book btw)

That's precisely the sort if thing you see in successful organizations even outside if football, and you're right, it IS special.

I guess the rules do not apply for you around here like it does everyone else, and when you are told to not respond to my posts, you actually do that, so since its free will jungle board. Go **** yourself you piece of shit.

Prove to me you can actually read and understand what people post and I'll stop calling you an idiot.

Because only an idiot would read what I posted and come the conclusion you did.

On a side note, congratulations on taking a pleasant conversation we were all having and turning it argumentative.

Prove to me you can actually read and understand what people post and I'll stop calling you an idiot.

Because only an idiot would read what I posted and come the conclusion you did.

On a side note, congratulations on taking a pleasant conversation we were all having and turning it argumentative.

No, see the thing was, you were told, to not respond to my posts, and I was told, not to yours....and what did you do? See in essence, the issue was, nobody thinks that any player has a magical power, but some players do in fact respond to situations better than others, coaching or not coaching, this is the same throughout sports, and not to mention this was a thread about Brady and how players feel about him, and your goal was to say, sorry, its not brady its the system....which is pretty typical, but hey, thats your right to voice that opinion, and for me to voice mine, but you could not take it, I told mikie it would not last because you cannot stand it, you would respond to one of my posts and I was correct, now he owes me a coke. So on a side note, thanks for taking a thread giving props to a player and trying to say it has nothing to do with the player.

Back