First time ever...

Football Zebras is a site that rarely takes up for the refs. In fact, the site regularly calls attention to bad calls they make.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2013/10/20/8540/
There was little push if any, and also had no bearing on the kick. Ive seen far worse not called in the same game...I find the timing of that call very suspect, and IMO the Ref was looking for anything that could be any where close to a penalty... Maybe Godell being a Jets fan has more weight in that Refs decision making....:coffee:

Boger was asked about it afterwards.

Please explain the penalty that was called on No. 94 [Patriots defensive tackle Chris Jones] on the field goal.

Boger: The call was that No. 94 on the defense pushed his teammate into the formation. That is a rule change for 2013 that a teammate cannot push a teammate into the opponents’ formation.

Is it any type of push? Is it a two-handed push?

Boger: Any push. It could be with the body, not necessarily with the hand, but with the body into his teammate, into the formation. It’s any type of pushing action.

Is there anything else to go over with this penalty?

Boger: No, the umpire’s flag went up almost instantaneously as he observed the action. We just enforced it as he called it.

And that’s a 15-yard penalty ...

Boger: For unsportsmanlike conduct.

We should never have been in that position to begin with. We should have scored a TD at the end of the first half to make it 28-10 at half time. Brady should have been better than 4 for 20 on passes longer than 10 yards. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. And 1 for 12 on 3rd downs is just as pathetic.

If you're blaming this loss on that bogus call, you're not seeing the real problem.

Damn Straight. Brady, Nate Solder, and the entire o-line played like ass (especially in the third quarter), and that's the main reason they lost.

:mad:

Damn Straight. Brady, Nate Solder, and the entire o-line played like ass (especially in the third quarter), and that's the main reason they lost.

:mad:
I agree with everything, but the last part...:coffee:

That's fine, but let the players decide the game.

Precisely. This so called tackle football game is rapidly losing its identity... I serious think if the U.S.F.L started today and went by the rules in the 80, and had their own Super Bowl Iit would stand a much better shot at success ... I for one would buy tickets....
Posted via Mobile Device

They did decide the game. The Jets' D decided not to let the Pats' O do a damned thing all game.

They did do a nice job and from what I could see had a lot of variable coverage schemes designed to flummox Brady.

On one, Edelman motioned from right to left slot with a safety following and he lined up directly in front of 11 indicating man coverage and Brady eyeballed it. At the snap, the safety blitzed hard and Brady instinctively threw it to Edelman who had quickly been bracketed by another safety and also Harris who moved over from ILB. They went from single man to a double with pressure figuring perhaps Brady wouldn't have time to think of another option.

They had him bracketed well, but in that case Brady threaded the needle and Edelman got a 1st down, but it illustrated a larger point that the Jets have a pretty good book on Brady and had he been less accurate, as he often was yesterday, then they would have had the play defended or even picked off. It was really close.

The Pats were getting a little rhythm going in the hurry up and after the tackle Antonio Allen appeared to be half dead. The replay showed no clear reason for him to be hurt and I believe he was playing possum with an academy award-level performance in order to slow us down and allow the D to regroup. That happened twice yesterday, both times when we were rolling pretty well. Allen survived the hit and did not appear to be impeded in any way from his near-death experience. Very convincing, but also bullshit in my opinion.

The stamp of Rex was on both. He's a beauty, that one, and I'd bet he'll be holding his sides watching the film.

They did do a nice job and from what I could see had a lot of variable coverage schemes designed to flummox Brady.

On one, Edelman motioned from right to left slot with a safety following and he lined up directly in front of 11 indicating man coverage and Brady eyeballed it. At the snap, the safety blitzed hard and Brady instinctively threw it to Edelman who had quickly been bracketed by another safety and also Harris who moved over from ILB. They went from single man to a double with pressure figuring perhaps Brady wouldn't have time to think of another option.

They had him bracketed well, but in that case Brady threaded the needle and Edelman got a 1st down, but it illustrated a larger point that the Jets have a pretty good book on Brady and had he been less accurate, as he often was yesterday, then they would have had the play defended or even picked off. It was really close.

The Pats were getting a little rhythm going in the hurry up and after the tackle Antonio Allen appeared to be half dead. The replay showed no clear reason for him to be hurt and I believe he was playing possum with an academy award-level performance in order to slow us down and allow the D to regroup. That happened twice yesterday, both times when we were rolling pretty well. Allen survived the hit and did not appear to be impeded in any way from his near-death experience. Very convincing, but also bullshit in my opinion.

The stamp of Rex was on both. He's a beauty, that one, and I'd bet he'll be holding his sides watching the film.

Good post. I'll bet there were plenty of individual instances of subterfuge just like the one you describe. However, this is one game I won't go back and watch again.

Good post. I'll bet there were plenty of individual instances of subterfuge just like the one you describe. However, this is one game I won't go back and watch again.
I swear the Jets must Practice every week just so they have a shot at beating us...The patriots are the SB..:coffee:

Agree.

If ever there was the good fortune of carting kids around to hockey and friends houses after and missing a game it's now.

When they made that call, I got up and went outside so I wouldn't have to watch the JEST celebrate their "victory".

The JEST do deserve credit for their comeback and for shutting down the Pats in the second half, but that was a horsesh*t call.

That's probably a good idea. I was watching it again late last night and pausing and rewinding a good deal. Then, I couldn't sleep because it was brutal.

The holding on Edelman.....the pick penalty on Gronk.....block in the back by Collins on another nice Julian punt return.....so many mistakes when we were right there to bust things open and each one cost us big field position.

I also zaprudered the "1st down" on the Geno scramble although Fox never showed the best angle on the play all the way through so I COULD SEE THE PHUCKING THING. Watching the original view about 4 times in slo-mo I'm convinced that the ref made a HORRENDOUS spot and it might have affected the scoreboard.

My estimate is that he added a yard and a half to the play after Geno stretched the ball with his arm CLEARLY OUT OF BOUNDS.

Bad call, bad announcing not to notice and bad coaching by BB to not contest that call.

That was an ugly performance and the rewatch was much worse than I thought.

It was a crap call (and it's Boger's crew so I'm not shocked) but the Pats had ages and ages to get their sh*t together on offense and couldn't do it. That's why they lost.

Bingo...

If you don't want to leave things to a blown call, make sure you're not in that position or you get what you get.

Back