Game Day (Kinda!) Preseason Game 3 - NYG

In the span of just a few plays, CB Michael Jackson gave up a 3rd-and-long conversion to Sterling Shepard, was called for holding on a third-down incompletion, and was the 12th man on the field for a penalty in the red zone. Jackson got an earful from Belichick. D’Angelo Ross, filling in for Jon Jones, bailed him out with his interception in the end zone.
Michael Jackson didn't get any better either. He gave up their touchdown in the fourth quarter.

View: https://twitter.com/_TMD_Podcast/status/1432113386184183812

Gunner suddenly finds himself on the bubble. JJTaylor was pretty good as a returner.

Last edited:
Going to review the coaches film for the game so I can more easily see what the state of the field was at the time of the throws, but my biggest concern coming out of this is Cam's vision / decision making. I'm rooting for him to play all year, and play well, and at first glance it looked like he killed a couple of drives by throwing to a covered receiver when someone else was wide open. I would have hoped that by this point we'd see substantial improvement there. Here's hoping we see a substantially better game from him in Game 1. Rest of the team Hawg covered better than I could, agreed especially regarding Uche, very impressive. Overall not too bad of a showing.

Going to review the coaches film for the game so I can more easily see what the state of the field was at the time of the throws, but my biggest concern coming out of this is Cam's vision / decision making. I'm rooting for him to play all year, and play well, and at first glance it looked like he killed a couple of drives by throwing to a covered receiver when someone else was wide open. I would have hoped that by this point we'd see substantial improvement there. Here's hoping we see a substantially better game from him in Game 1. Rest of the team Hawg covered better than I could, agreed especially regarding Uche, very impressive. Overall not too bad of a showing.

Here's one he won't make again. Bourne is wide open just the way the play was designed.

View: https://twitter.com/patriotsnews247/status/1432109682529914885

Not sure what you mean. I was referring to Jones' left knee for which he has been auditioning different braces over the last few weeks. My understanding is that it is "sprained", but there was a play last week where he scrambled and he took a long beat to get to his feet (using his right leg). Both idiot Ross Tucker (philly's analyst) and Zo (our idiot) mentioned it numerous times with Zo commenting tonight that he thought Mac was limping.

Is that what you meant?

I was wondering if Mac did something new to his knee.

Here's one he won't make again. Bourne is wide open just the way the play was designed.

Yeah that was the most egregious one for sure and the one which made me want to take a closer look, end up with an Int instead of a TD.

The other one which stood out was the incompletion on 3rd down with 10:09 left in the 1st, Meyers was open on the crosser but he threw it away, to a spot neither the covered receiver he "targeted" nor the coverage could get to. Pretty sure he just didn't see Meyers and was throwing it away due to the incoming pressure, which if I recall the play properly at least 1 defender was running free. Assuming that's the case, it's not so bad, though it's still a missed opportunity.

I look at the Cam vs Mac comparison today the same way I looked at the Drew vs Tom comparison back-in-the-day

Drew was able to make great plays or boneheaded plays equally --- I always thought how is he going to chaulk up a W today when an L is equally within his grasp.... a total "trick or treat guy"

Tom, OTOH, I viewed as a better decision-maker --- even early in his career.... a "what is he going to do today that WINS the game THIS time guy"... a total "move the chains guy"

I look at Cam today and don't even see a Drew at this point

Mac looks like a real fluid decision maker --- a "move the chains guy" to me

a TFB-Lite in the making at this point ONLY because he hasn't had one official NFL "real" game appearence yet....but given the chance, I like the Pats' chances more w/ him under center

It's clear as day that Mac is going to be under centre very quickly this season unless Cam plays lights out which I just don't see happening. Mac was very impressive for me yesterday, he was playing with the backups yet the poise and decision making was top class and the throws made were pretty damn good. He's the real deal which is amazing seeing how he's a rookie. We have to see him in the dark work of regular season football of course but everything so far looks more promising than I think we had hoped for.

What I really hope doesn't happen, is that fans start going way OTT in attacking Cam as starter. You can see it on social media already from people who should know better like Andy Hart of that class A idiot Zolak who started having a go at Cam for listening to rap music. How boneheaded or ignorant do you have to be to say that? I just hope we don't hear mass booing and whistling in Foxboro when Cam is playing. Let's be honest, he's likely on a short leash with fans, a few errant throws or errors and they will start.

Cam has been a great teammate, right from when he came through the door, the attitude and his personality have been a breath of fresh air and I can't help but be so impressed by the way he's treated the guy he knows full well will be taking his job.

Things I liked:

* JJ Taylor's speed, balance and desire. He's a fighter.

* Barmore beating their starting LT clean for a pressure from DE

* Uche again. Future stud.

* Our 2nd team being competitive with their starters.

* The fact that we have a new scrub CB to work with in Wade, who did a couple of nice things, so that we don't have to watch Michael Jackson ever again. Hopefully.

* Asiasi showing some respectable skills.

* Cajuste getting a long look at LT. I think he's ahead of Herron for swing tackle now and has real potential. Yodny was solid.

* Bentley. Not only is he slimmed down, but he looks like a different, better player. He's playing faster.

* Moar Stevenson. I hope he isn't just a preseason wonderboy, but he was excellent. Deepest, best backfield in recent memory.

* Mac Jones. Yes, I know it was choppy and he took a lot of sacks, but even on an off night he keeps getting back up and made some plays.

* Nordin. Stash him and get him in a groove. Whatever you have to do, because you can't teach that leg.

* Probably no room for him, but Bill Murray is not a bad looking IDL prospect. I like him better than some of the other bubble guys, like Bower. I'd work with him
for another year.

* If anybody made the roster tonight it'd be Zuber. He looked like a legit 4 or 5 and played heads-up.

* I like Harvey Langi. He has to stick. Good backup guy who can start.

Things I didn't like:

* Gunner making a drop, a whiff and a couple of bad plays.

Other than that....we're good to go.

Oops!

He did hold the ball too long a couple of times. He will learn, after he's been told, that it's better to throw the ball away than taking a sack.

He did do that, but I'll knock off the one just before the half because he was looking for Gunner to break his route off and that didn't happen. Mac was looking right at him and
rolled left right into the rusher. So, Mac was probably feeling like it was a mess out there, but he still threw some dimes.

I think it was Wilkerson who got flagged for OPI on the fake right-fake left-back to the right screen where Mac put it right in Taylor's basket. That's something he excels at.

Much like the night, that play didn't work out, but if you look past the flag you could see some good ball-handling and touch and you can see the "Mac Face" when he briefly looks pissed, but regains control and files it away for future reference. He did that a lot last night, but I'm not worried about it.

On a semi-related note, his postgame presser was very entertaining as you could see the young Padawan trying out his Jedi media skills. He was pretty Patriot-like and handled a couple of tricky
"when will you be the starter?" questions without slipping up. You could also see him give a small sigh of relief when it was over, but he'll be one step ahead of the sharks soon enough.

It's clear as day that Mac is going to be under centre very quickly this season unless Cam plays lights out which I just don't see happening. Mac was very impressive for me yesterday, he was playing with the backups yet the poise and decision making was top class and the throws made were pretty damn good. He's the real deal which is amazing seeing how he's a rookie. We have to see him in the dark work of regular season football of course but everything so far looks more promising than I think we had hoped for.

What I really hope doesn't happen, is that fans start going way OTT in attacking Cam as starter. You can see it on social media already from people who should know better like Andy Hart of that class A idiot Zolak who started having a go at Cam for listening to rap music. How boneheaded or ignorant do you have to be to say that? I just hope we don't hear mass booing and whistling in Foxboro when Cam is playing. Let's be honest, he's likely on a short leash with fans, a few errant throws or errors and they will start.

Cam has been a great teammate, right from when he came through the door, the attitude and his personality have been a breath of fresh air and I can't help but be so impressed by the way he's treated the guy he knows full well will be taking his job.

Zo didn’t criticize Cam for listening to rap music. He said that Cam needs to stop dancing to music in between plays in practice and focus on getting better. He said that Mac was always asking questions in between plays, working on getting better while Cam would constantly just dance around between snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zo didn’t criticize Cam for listening to rap music. He said that Cam needs to stop dancing to music in between plays in practice and focus on getting better. He said that Mac was always asking questions in between plays, working on getting better while Cam would constantly just dance around between snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly. It was weird listening to Boston sports radio whip the comments into "Boston is so racist" again. What he said was true and not racist. Was it dumb? Yes, given today's hyper ridiculous state of affairs. He wasn't wrong to state the obvious, but he was dumb to do it. Sorry state we are in.

Exactly. It was weird listening to Boston sports radio whip the comments into "Boston is so racist" again. What he said was true and not racist. Was it dumb? Yes, given today's hyper ridiculous state of affairs. He wasn't wrong to state the obvious, but he was dumb to do it. Sorry state we are in.

If I was on Sports Talk Radio and wanted to stir the pot to raise my profile, like most of them do, then I'd skip past Zo and go with the "Belichick is a nepotist (and maybe a racist) for favoring his own kid over the more-qualified Jerod Mayo" narrative. If it hasn't already happened then you can be sure it will before long, because it has all the ingredients:

1. It's criticism of Belichick (who will never defend himself)
2. It's criticism of Belichick II (the next generation)
3. It's has plausibility because nobody on the outside can really know how they "split the play calling"
4. It's a black and white thing

Zo a loose cannon, but at least he isn't afraid to sound like an idiot.

Back