Garoppolo to SF for 2018 2nd rounder

The question with the quarterbacks who play behind Brady is whether they succeed because of their talent or the system. The significant quarterbacks who have backed up Brady haven’t fared well after they left. Hoyer is 16-21. Jacoby Brissett, traded to the Colts early this season, is 2-5.
The most notable of the group, Matt Cassel, became the Patriots’ quarterback in 2008 when Brady ripped up his knee in the first quarter of the season opener. Cassel led the team to an 11-5 record, then was traded in the offseason to Kansas City, which signed him to a $63 million contract before he ever played a game. In the nine seasons since then, with five teams, Cassel is 26-40.
Who is Garoppolo? Where does he fit in the legacy of Brady backups and 49ers options?
We don’t know yet.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/Jimmy-Garoppolo-deal-makes-49ers-season-12318951.php

I'll respectfully disagree that Brissett would have either been cut or was not a good fit for this offense.

We still don't know what his ceiling is or if he can develop into a guy that shows better touch and reads on quick passes, but I don't think anybody can categorically say he can't do it.

What he shown is that he can lead, take a hit, throw the ball and move a team and a lot of guys in this league can't do all that. Part of the job of a coaching staff is to maximize the talents of who you have. IF he was still here and Brady went down, I, for one, would feel a lot better about our viability as a contender with Jacoby than with Brian Hoyer or whoever they can scrape up at this point in the season. He ain't the end of the bologna.

Granted, not an ideal fit for what we typically do, but I feel like everybody is trying to put limitations on the kid and not recognizing how far he has advanced in a short time and in a couple of very difficult situations.

What he has is shit that you can't teach.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote except for the first sentence.
I know for certain from a highly reliable source that Brissett was on the cut list if he couldn't be traded first.

The question with the quarterbacks who play behind Brady is whether they succeed because of their talent or the system. The significant quarterbacks who have backed up Brady haven’t fared well after they left. Hoyer is 16-21. Jacoby Brissett, traded to the Colts early this season, is 2-5.
The most notable of the group, Matt Cassel, became the Patriots’ quarterback in 2008 when Brady ripped up his knee in the first quarter of the season opener. Cassel led the team to an 11-5 record, then was traded in the offseason to Kansas City, which signed him to a $63 million contract before he ever played a game. In the nine seasons since then, with five teams, Cassel is 26-40.
Who is Garoppolo? Where does he fit in the legacy of Brady backups and 49ers options?
We don’t know yet.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/Jimmy-Garoppolo-deal-makes-49ers-season-12318951.php

These players went to really bad teams. Cassel did take the chiefs to the playoffs shortly after leaving and even made the pro bowl with them, but he is broken at this point floating around bad team after bad team. Sometimes you are a backup and not a starter. A good example of that is Matt Moore, he will look great and then when he starts he looks horrid. The niners right now are in no shape to help any Qb look good.

Absolute disaster. Putting the team's future in the hands of a 40 year old QB is going to blow up in the Pats faces big time. This is Brady/Bledsoe in reverse. If he was going to trade Jimmy, he should have done it in the summer and kept Brissett. Belichick is drunk.

Jimmy will be missed and will do very well in SF (especially with a pass happy offensive coordinator there).

Absolute disaster. Putting the team's future in the hands of a 40 year old QB is going to blow up in the Pats faces big time. This is Brady/Bledsoe in reverse. If he was going to trade Jimmy, he should have done it in the summer and kept Brissett. Belichick is drunk.

Jimmy will be missed and will do very well in SF (especially with a pass happy offensive coordinator there).

Putting the teams near future of a QB that is outplaying most of the league. You know they do have the option of drafting another QB. This notion that some fans have that Brady goes and we just keeping rattling off superbowls is a pipe dream. The value we got for JG was probably as high as we were going to get even this summer.

Jimmy will be missed? Maybe. Or maybe he'll bomb out. No way to tell yet.

Will do well in SF? They are 0-8 for a reason. They are pass happy because they suck.

The fact is there was NO WAY they could keep JG and Brady next year. None.

Jimmy will be missed? Maybe. Or maybe he'll bomb out. No way to tell yet.

Will do well in SF? They are 0-8 for a reason. They are pass happy because they suck.

The fact is there was NO WAY they could keep JG and Brady next year. None.

No QB....none, ever in history would do great with the niners this year...If I'm the niners he does not even see the field with this mess. Let him learn the offense and start new after you sign him. Also yes...the notion that all backup QB's behind Brady will be Brady seems to be a theme.

I think we need two seasons minimum to determine that. Within that period of time the Pats could find Brady's replacement and he could be on the field.

We'll just have to watch it play out.

There's that, but I'd take how he looked in the Arizona & Miami games last year over 4 Heisman-consideration years from a college QB. So many guys can't make that leap, and JG showed a lot in those games, one in prime time, and one against a division rival.

No guarantees of course, and I get that NE had to make a decision, but this was a shocker to me.

I totally agree with you and if Pats do not have a new backup activated by this coming this week to give new backup at least a week of reps, they will be in a WORLD of hurt if Brady goes down in the next Broncos game. Broncos D usually pounds Brady. So, I hope BB & JM have a definitive plan in place for this VERY unexpected move. I hate to bring this up but what if Pats decide to give Kaepernick a job!? I VERY SERIOUSLY doubt he would come to Pats for a 'typical LOW BALL" deal, unless he was really hard up and just wanted a NFL job. At least the timing is right for the Pats to do this during its bye week. Stay tunes.... :stirpot:

This is Brady/Bledsoe in reverse.

I agree! Except for the fact that there were no unwieldy contract issues with 2001 Brady... and Bledsoe had been toast for years and was wildly overpaid... and Brady had just won a SB and was entrenched as the starter... and 2017 Brady might be in the midst of the most impressive stretch in his career...

I totally agree with you and if Pats do not have a new backup activated by this coming this week to give new backup at least a week of reps, they will be in a WORLD of hurt if Brady goes down in the next Broncos game. Broncos D usually pounds Brady. So, I hope BB & JM have a definitive plan in place for this VERY unexpected move. I hate to bring this up but what if Pats decide to give Kaepernick a job!? I VERY SERIOUSLY doubt he would come to Pats for a 'typical LOW BALL" deal, unless he was really hard up and just wanted a NFL job. At least the timing is right for the Pats to do this during its bye week. Stay tunes.... :stirpot:

If Brady goes down, for a long period of time, we are probably in a word of hurt anyway, thankfully Brady is not exactly injury prone, and he has in fact played Denver before and has got pounded and lived through it. Anyone can get hurt. Brady could get and then JG could get hurt like he did before. You cannot what if football seasons. It outweighs having two QB's on your roster next year making 20 mil a year, I am sure that is worse for our depth.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

I agree! Except for the fact that there were no unwieldy contract issues with
2001 Brady... and Bledsoe had been toast for years and was wildly overpaid... and Brady had just won a SB and was entrenched as the starter... and 2017 Brady might be in the midst of the most impressive stretch in his career...

Really the only issue was the 100 mil contract Bledsoe signed, I think we probably ate some bonus money.

This is interesting.

Schefter inferred on the radio that BBtraded Garoppolo to SF because it's out of conference and bc the Browns once fired Belichick.

Like Kraft, BB doesn't hold a grudge but he remembers. :shrug:

This is interesting.

Schefter inferred on the radio that BBtraded Garoppolo to SF because it's out of conference and bc the Browns once fired Belichick.

Like Kraft, BB doesn't hold a grudge but he remembers. :shrug:

God, that's stupid.

The same BB that traded Collins to the Browns last year?

The team that fired BB is in Baltimore, not Cleveland, and the owner is dead.

Jeee-zus. :banghead:

God, that's stupid.

The same BB that traded Collins to the Browns last year?

The team that fired BB is in Baltimore, not Cleveland, and the owner is dead.

Jeee-zus. :banghead:

What does Collins going to the Browns have to do with it? Collins isn't exactly a name that I hear very often these days. He knew Collins wouldn't really help them, Jimmy could really help them. Seems pretty straight forward.

What does Collins going to the Browns have to do with it? Collins isn't exactly a name that I hear very often these days. He knew Collins wouldn't really help them, Jimmy could really help them. Seems pretty straight forward.

The point is Collins is a good player and he had no problem trading with them.

The current Browns are an expansion team. Belichick has nothing against the city of Cleveland at all. Modell fired him, and he's dead.

The whole idea is idiotic.

The point is Collins is a good player and he had no problem trading with them.

The current Browns are an expansion team. Belichick has nothing against the city of Cleveland at all. Modell fired him, and he's dead.

The whole idea is idiotic.

Yeah, I could see not wanting him in the AFC, but the whole "CLEVELAND!" thing is absurd. I hope it's not true.

Back