Great Article on Paul Pierce Upstaging Kobe in Finals

PatsChamps6x

Flipping off Goodell
Reaction score
This is a great read...finally,people are realizing that Pierce and the Celtics are more than just props for the Lakers and Kobe's coronation...

BOSTON – These NBA Finals had been framed as a coronation for Kobe Bryant, his time to climb onto a basketball Rushmore with Michael Jordan. This has been his MVP season, his chance to make his parting with Shaq, Eagle, Colo., and his summer temper tantrum fade out of focus. These Celtics were discussed as merely props as Bryant starred in his June mini-series: The Story of Me.

On the way to Phil Jackson passing Red Auerbach, on the way to Bryant’s false proclamations that his obsession isn’t chasing Jordan’s genius, the oddest thing has happened: So far, these Finals belong to Paul Pierce and the Celtics. So far, the Lakers have balanced arrogance and atrophy, sarcasm and softness. The Lakers lost 108-102 to the Celtics in Game 2, and a final, furious run to make the score respectable did little to disguise Jackson and Bryant’s dereliction of duties.

Bryant calls him a friend, but Pierce has been something the Lakers star never imagined in these Finals: A peer. Pierce has played smarter, sharper and with far more composure. Bryant found himself suckered into foolish fouls and forced shots. He stopped running the triangle offense in the third quarter, degenerating into the old Kobe desperate to answer opponent’s baskets with something spectacular of his own.

Bryant was too busy obliterating the Lakers’ offensive system, too busy bitching over calls, to run these Lakers. When he’s losing his mind on the floor, he’s useless as a leader. These Lakers are still too young, too impressionable. He cursed out teammates in the huddles (“Eddie Murphy ‘Raw’ times 10,” he said) and officials (“We just had to make a stand. …Guys were getting hit going to the basket and not always getting called.”)

ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant couldn’t run back on defense without barking at officials Dan Crawford and Bob Delaney. Once, he was so vociferous with Crawford late in the third quarter, Allen beat him down the floor for a corner three-pointer on the way to trailing by an unthinkable 22 points to start the fourth quarter.

There was little economical about Bryant’s 30 points on 23 shots, little to counter the fact that, so far, these Finals belong to Paul Pierce. He has shown so much game, so much toughness. When the Celtics struggled to close out the game, it was still him getting to the rim, getting fouled and making the two free throws with 22.8 seconds that never let the Lakers get the ball back with a chance to get even in Game 2. It was a hollow run, too little, too late.

For the Celtics, this was a monumental victory. In the 2-3-2 format, Game 2 has the implications of the traditional Game 5. This was the victory that almost assures that Boston will return for Game 6 with a 3-2 series advantage, with two chances in the Garden to hang a 17th championship banner. Privately, the Celtics refuse to believe they could lose three times at the Staples Center, insisting that they just defend too well to let that happen.

For now, the Lakers are a flustered franchise. For a week, they listened to the world ask them not if they would beat the Celtics, but how many games would it take them. Phil Jackson can groan over the fact that 26 of the 30 free throws taken three quarters into the game had been by the Celtics, but so much of that was the doggedness of Boston usurping his passive players.

How many more times are the Lakers going to let Leon Powe (21 points) dunk on them in these Finals? How many more times does Rajon Rondo (16 assists) get to dart into the paint and create chaos?

Four years ago, Jackson had an old, broken-down team in the Finals against Detroit. This time, he has no excuses. The Celtics have played harder and tougher and far, far more together. Everyone has talked about the closeness of these Lakers, but that’s something of an illusion that Kobe creates when he’s winning. He’s his own self-contained entity and that’ll never change.

Of course, Bryant will likely be his dominant self in Game 3 on Tuesday, with a lot of trips to the free-throw line, with a lot of curtain calls at Staples Center. Odom will likely be reborn at home, and the Lakers’ young players, dreadful in Boston, will almost assuredly be transformed. Game 3 promises to be a most difficult proposition for the Celtics.

This is going to be a six-, perhaps seven-game, series, but so much of the reason Boston has gained control is born out of Lakers’ arrogance. How much more do they want to make fun of Pierce’s Game 1 injury, tease him, and then watch how he emasculates them come game time?

Jackson hasn’t stopped laughing at Pierce, cracking wise on a wheelchair that a trainer thrust upon the Celtics star after hurting his knee in Game 1. Pierce had 28 points and eight assists. He has done a fabulous job defending Bryant, and made every clutch shot these Celtics have asked of him. Even so, Jackson was still going on and on about that wheelchair on Sunday, insisting that it had been a source of comedy in his coach’s meetings.

“I really don’t know what they said,” Pierce insisted.

Of course, he knows. They all do. Only, these Celtics are so much more mature, so much fiercer on the defensive end, that most of us misjudged their ability to take the Lakers, to make Kobe uncomfortable in these Finals. From the moment Boston brought Garnett and Allen to town, they’ve been overwhelming favorites. They won 66 games and earned home-court advantage, but a sluggish run through the Eastern Conference playoffs turned them into overwhelming underdogs in these Finals.

In some ways, it liberated the Celtics to stop thinking so much, and just let loose in this series. Just play.

As Jackson should be discovering, his playful pokes are always funnier when he’s winning. Right now, the Lakers are losing, and losing badly. They’re 0-4 on the season to the Celtics. Kobe Bryant isn’t returning to Los Angeles for the red-carpet treatment on the way to his fourth title, but an acid test.

Long before Bryant ever descended on Los Angeles, Pierce called its mean streets of Inglewood, in the shadow of the Fabulous Forum, his home. “This means everything,” Pierce said. “It’s a dream for me to go home and play in a place where I grew up, against a team I grew up with, with an opportunity to win an NBA championship.

“Couldn’t have scripted it any better.”

These Finals had started out to be Kobe Bryant’s L.A. Story, but no more. All the laughs, all the jokes and still these NBA Finals belong to Paul Pierce. Kobe Bryant is the greatest player on the planet. He just hasn’t been the best player in this series. He can feel free to go after the officials, go after his teammates, but it doesn’t change the truth that these Finals don’t belong to him yet, that something strange has happened on the way to his coronation.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Great article. Thanks for posting it. I'm so, so happy that Paul is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

Really good read, thanks.

Someone ought to send this to ESPN. Maybe I won't hear "Kobe" this and "Kobe" that every other word during the game. Just once I'd like to hear them say "Looks like Kobe is pissing in his shorts over there on the bench."

I'm not even going to bother to read this whole article. Last time I checked, basketball was a team sport. Yeah, Kobe has Gasol and Odom on the floor with him, but, as usual, somebody has thrown a shiny new nickle into the fish tank of the national sports media and they're all over it.

A couple things they either don't realize or have conveniently forgotten-

1). the Celtics had the league's best record this year. That wasn't by accident. AND, lets put away all that BS about the west being superior to the east. The Celtics, Pistons, and Cavaliers are as good as any of the best teams in the west.

2). through 9 NBA seasons, Paul Pierce has averaged just over 23 PPG...that ain't exactly chicken feed. He's going to the HOF on the first ballot, no question about it. He's been a great player on some pretty lousy teams for quite a while now.

3). Garnett and Allen>Gasol and Odom. KG is also a no doubt, first ballot HOFer, and Allen probably makes it too.

This, coupled with Greenberg's insane ramblings this morning about how the Lakers can still win this series (in 6 games, no less), just underscores how much of a Boston bias the national sports media has.

Great read, thanks, good to see someone from the national media rightly calling Kobe out. And I have to admit, I haven't always been the biggest PP fan, mainly because in the past, he wouldn't have made the play that he did in Game 2 when they needed it, namely, take the ball to the hoop hard and draw the foul.

I'm happy for Paul, and happy that he's seems so much more mature recently (playing through the horrendous Bennett Salvatore call in Game 6 against Detroit).

Thanks for posting this article. Great stuff indeed

This is going to be a six-, perhaps seven-game, series, but so much of the reason Boston has gained control is born out of Lakers’ arrogance. How much more do they want to make fun of Pierce’s Game 1 injury, tease him, and then watch how he emasculates them come game time?

Perfect.

FWIW, Curt Shilling on Kobe & Paul Pierce and Game 2 -- some interesting stuff

Ok, so I get some ridiculously good tickets for Game 2 of the NBA Finals last night. This was the 2nd chance to see the Celts up close. A few observations.

I had ZERO idea that the NBA game was that physical. Damn. The big boys are getting after it on every play.
Kevin Garnett, and not that this needs to be stated, but I’ll say it anyway, is as focused and locked in as any athlete in any sport I’ve been around. From pre-game shoot around to last seconds on the clock, this kid is legit. The intensity and reputation are there, wow. His eyes are on the floor, or the ball, all game. What an incredible pleasure it is to watch and be a fan of. I am blown away in that he came out of high school, something that can be a huge disadvantage, and has ALWAYS maintained who he was purported to be.

The first game I saw from these seats the Coach for Washington was basically taunting KG when he was at the line, saying a bunch of things, KG was ignoring him for the most part until he said something that must have been a bit too much, KG pauses, looks over and basically tells him to go piss up a rope.

Last night KG goes to the line, Lamar Odom (who I became a fan of last night) is saying “Hey KG why don’t you help on the ball down here?” Pointing to the paint, and I am guessing he’s referencing the fact that KG wasn’t down in the paint mixing it up. He says it again, loudly, KG doesn’t even acknowledge him, and sinks both. Impressive, total focus.

One thing I did learn was that in addition to not having one ounce of athletic ability, being white, and having no vertical, and only being able to dribble right handed, I couldn’t play in the NBA because about 43 times last night I heard things being said that would have made me swing at someone. These guys talk MAJOR trash on the floor, and the great part is that most of the times I’ve seen it the guy on the receiving end usually doesn’t respond much, if at all, and just plays the game, schooling the guy who feels like he needs to talk to make his game better.

Paul Pierce is friggin good. What a game. Who on the Lakers can defend him?

I always wondered about the bitching and moaning of NBA coaches and players with regards to officiating and last night I was literally on the floor to see and hear it first hand. Things I heard and saw.

1) KGs first quarter Technical. I heard EVERY word of his exchange with the ref. It’s nice to know that they share the same problems some players do with MLB umpires. He was giving a technical because he said the F word, period. He did NOT call the ref a name, he was bitching about a non-call and said “C’mon, what the F am I supposed to do” and got the T. Now I watch both Pierce, and I think Allen, talking to this ref and he shoots back to Paul this little tidbit. “I can’t let him talk to me that way.”

What? Dude, your an NBA official, not the stinking Pope. Not one person in the arena paid 1 cent of their ticket to see you, ref the game and shut your pie hole. These guys are playing for a world championship, they are as amped up as you expect the best players in the world to be, they are grown men, there’s going to be some PG-13 language, and you are giving a T to a guy for dropping an F bomb? Stupid.

2) Every SINGLE play up and down the floor has MULTIPLE fouls being committed by multiple players. These guys are in close, every play. They are beating the crap out of each other, and the refs see it. That makes me think that the game is called and paced exactly how the refs want it to be. I wondered aloud, a few times, how in the hell calls weren’t being made against the Celts on a ton of plays in the paint where there was some serious pugilism being committed. There were a ton of ‘non-calls’ in my incredibly amateur opinion.

3) Phil Jackson knew it. Early in the game, Farmar comes to the bench during Celts free throws and asks about the next series, Jackson says “One thing I do know is we’ve got to stop !@#$&@#%$#&*()@ fouling these guys” Farmar asks what he says and he repeats the line.

4) I don’t know much about the NBA beyond some of the star players and the famous teams. I heard that the Lakers got Gasol in a horrible steal of a deal and that the league should have investigated the trade for some sort of punishable crime
icon_smile.gif
I saw a 7 footer last night who grabbed like 4 rebounds and spent the entire game whining about getting fouled.

5) Kobe. This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn’t know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy bitch at his teammates.

Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect. I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates.

Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or pissed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works.

I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that.

But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.

Let me reiterate that this is from a complete basketball newbie, so for all I know this could be exactly how these guys play this game and interact with each other.

The contrast though, for me anyway, was watching KG and Allen, Pierce, as the game went on. I was literally ON the Laker bench so I could only watch the celts on the floor, and it was just different. it was all about who has whom, who goes where, what’s up next. That could have been a direct result of the officiating and flow of the game though, more than anything.

It was just amazing to watch a game where the Lakers came out, completely set the tempo in the first few minutes and TOTALLY dominated the final four minutes, and in between the Celtics completely dominated them.

Anyway, what a rush and a total enjoyment to be a part of. Celtic fans were damn impressive. Oh and one more thing. I think it’s fantastic that there seems to be this mutual support thing going on here in NE. You fans are being treated to your third World Championship appearance since last October and that’s awesome. But at each one there seems to be a crossover, Celts and Sox at the Super Bowl, Pats, Bruins and Celts at the World Series, and last night Sox and Pats all over the place. Cool stuff.
http://38pitches.com/2008/06/09/manny-jd-papi-lester-and-the-nba-finals/#more-178

That was a good article and I feel good that Pierce not only is getting deserved recognition, but did so after maturing and getting his act together as a Celtic captain and a good teammate. He didn't suddenly just get good after Garnett and Allen showed up on Causeway street, but gradually improved in all areas.

I see no way the Lakers win this series. The Celts are simply a better, smarter and much deeper team and far more physical at both ends of the court.

Only way this goes 7 is if the refs decide to help the league make some extra TV revenue, but the end result will be the same. Another Boston champion will be crowned and the glory days continue.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsEkhy7fGLw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsEkhy7fGLw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Paul Pierce has long been pigeon-holed as a second-tier superstar. I think a huge contributor to this stigma were his taking part in the 2002 USA Men's Basketball squad that finished a mind-boggling 6th in the world.

This is the man's coming out party and it's awesome to see it on such a grand stage. In my lifetime, he is my second-favorite Celtic. I couldn't be happier for him.

Paul Pierce has long been pigeon-holed as a second-tier superstar. I think a huge contributor to this stigma were his taking part in the 2002 USA Men's Basketball squad that finished a mind-boggling 6th in the world.

This is the man's coming out party and it's awesome to see it on such a grand stage. In my lifetime, he is my second-favorite Celtic. I couldn't be happier for him.

And your first fave?:):Celtics:

I think we share a brain today along with our car. I knew there was a reason we were PPBFF 4-eva. You're da chit playa.

Back