Great BBQ Place

CleatMarks

Reaction score
I've been down in Raleigh NC the last few days and someone turned me onto this place called "The Pit" http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/. If you visit, don't miss this place.

The BBQ was excellent.

To start, they bring you out biscuits and hush puppies with a whipped butter that has the faint taste of honey and maple.

I got the fried green tomatoes with a pepper relish to start. They were excellent. The tomatoes had the perfect balance of bitter and sweet and the pepper relish added a bit of sweetness to a beer based breading.

I got a sample plate with brisket, NC spare ribs, and smoked turkey. I wasn't crazy about the smoked turkey but the ribs and brisket were some of the best I've had. The brisket had a smoky bark but the meat was the star. It was moist end when I put my fork on it, it cut through like butter. It wasn't overdone, it was perfect. No sauce necessary.

The ribs were perfect too. The meat dropped away leaving little pieces and the bark was light. They smoked with apple and cherry and the ribs were sweet and again, the meat was the star.

I've got to say, I've had great BBQ in my travels but this was some of the best. Even the collard greens were perfect. They had a slight hint of salt and the greens had just a touch of bitter.

Don't miss this place if you ever are in Raleigh. Plenty of beers on tap from microbrewerries, good service, and excellent BBQ. I smoke and I can sahy that my stuff compares favorably to the bbq places in MA but I felt like mine was a microwave dinner next to this stuff.

I've never been to North Carolina, but if you're in Kansas City, this is the place to go

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/jack-stack-barbecue-martin-city/i/9/

Their pork ribs are giant and melt in your mouth - but everything's great. Their stack of onion rings is one of the best appetizers ever.

It's a lot harder to find good barbecue in Boston, but Redbones in Davis Square isn't bad. The building it's in feels more like some roadhouse in the country than Somerville. Good ribs and they have like 30 beers on tap.

http://www.redbones.com/dinner.html

Man, those ribs were so good, I took the extras back to the room and after writing my post, I finished them off. ROFL

If you've never had fried green tomatoes, try them here. You'll love them.

I've never been to North Carolina, but if you're in Kansas City, this is the place to go

Their pork ribs are giant and melt in your mouth - but everything's great. Their stack of onion rings is one of the best appetizers ever.

It's a lot harder to find good barbecue in Boston, but Redbones in Davis Square isn't bad. The building it's in feels more like some roadhouse in the country than Somerville. Good ribs and they have like 30 beers on tap.

I go to Redbones and I like Lester's too but I'm telling you, this stuff blew it away. I've had BBQ at some award winning places but this was out of the world.

I've been down in Raleigh NC the last few days and someone turned me onto this place called "The Pit" http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/. If you visit, don't miss this place.

The BBQ was excellent.

To start, they bring you out biscuits and hush puppies with a whipped butter that has the faint taste of honey and maple.

I got the fried green tomatoes with a pepper relish to start. They were excellent. The tomatoes had the perfect balance of bitter and sweet and the pepper relish added a bit of sweetness to a beer based breading.

I got a sample plate with brisket, NC spare ribs, and smoked turkey. I wasn't crazy about the smoked turkey but the ribs and brisket were some of the best I've had. The brisket had a smoky bark but the meat was the star. It was moist end when I put my fork on it, it cut through like butter. It wasn't overdone, it was perfect. No sauce necessary.

The ribs were perfect too. The meat dropped away leaving little pieces and the bark was light. They smoked with apple and cherry and the ribs were sweet and again, the meat was the star.

I've got to say, I've had great BBQ in my travels but this was some of the best. Even the collard greens were perfect. They had a slight hint of salt and the greens had just a touch of bitter.

Don't miss this place if you ever are in Raleigh. Plenty of beers on tap from microbrewerries, good service, and excellent BBQ. I smoke and I can sahy that my stuff compares favorably to the bbq places in MA but I felt like mine was a microwave dinner next to this stuff.

That sounds worthy of a road trip. Too bad the Pats don't play in Carolina this year.

Mah hubbieh has nearly perfected his baby back ribs recipe... and it's the best I've ever had.

(I say nearly because he always tries to change some little somethin somethin each time, so they're a little different each time).

But each time they are fall off the bone amazing NOMS!

TY for reminding me, I need to <strike> start plying him with favors to entice</strike> ask him to cook some up on memorial day weekend....

KC Rib Shack in ManchVegas is a good alternative.

Obviously not an area restaruant but the Georgia Pig in Brunswick GA is very good as well. Right off of rt 95 if you happen to be driving through that part of the world. Very minimalist with long bench tables and counter service. Staff didn't have much of a sense of humor even though we were spending near $200 on takeout (and buying the last of most of everything)... but the food is worth it.

I love the my cue is better en your cue arguements ROFLROFLROFL

Its all good

I love the my cue is better en your cue arguements ROFLROFLROFL

Its all good

What arguments? Merely stating facts. :D

On an honest note, I've just never been a fan of Carolina style bbq. Just never liked that style sauce. I can handle most others, but just never dug the vinegary sauces that are prevalent in Carolina style.

Neely's BBQ in Memphis. Put a lil south in yo mouth. That shit goooood!

KC PWNS BBQ...so many different good places over there.

Might be worthy of a road trip, all BBQ = win but spectacular collards and FGTs puts it over the top.

I go to Redbones and I like Lester's too but I'm telling you, this stuff blew it away. I've had BBQ at some award winning places but this was out of the world.

I should have specified that I thought Redbones was "good for Boston". Like you said about the place in NC, most of the Boston barbecue restaurants are like microwave food compared to the good places I've been to in Kansas City. And, in terms of barbecue, NC probably rocks even more. If I'm ever down there, I'll try to remember to pull up this thread. I've never been to Lester's, though, but now I'll be checking it out soon.

I should have specified that I thought Redbones was "good for Boston". Like you said about the place in NC, most of the Boston barbecue restaurants are like microwave food compared to the good places I've been to in Kansas City. And, in terms of barbecue, NC probably rocks even more. If I'm ever down there, I'll try to remember to pull up this thread. I've never been to Lester's, though, but now I'll be checking it out soon.

On the topic of Boston BBQ, at least when I lived there were a couple places called Tennessee BBQ (one in Braintree over near Bugaboo Creek and one out in Natick I think). I was quite skeptical when I went in there, but had to admit they got pretty darn close. They had Memphis style ribs and Carolina shoulder, but at least they had good Memphis style sauce which made the pulled pork workable.

For folks in Boston looking for something close to real bbq, they're worth a look.

Back