Gronk Retires

Hall of Fame voters weigh in on Gronk from NFL team meetings in AZ. Quite a tribute to our big lovable lug. I'll miss him. The league will miss him. The best TE ever to play...

https://www.patriots.com/video/gronkowski-retirement-reactions-from-the-2019-nfl-annual-meeting

He managed a rare thing, being an incredible player who played for the Patriots and was universally liked throught the league. People love authenticity and what you see with Gronk is what you get.

He had a great, fun loving personality that stood out among elite athletes and he was a great star attraction in this league. You're right, the NFL will really miss him, he really had star power.

What will the Pats miss the most? His blocking. He won 1 on 1 against Ngata, Suggs, Kahlil Mack and many more repeatedly. He was absurdly good. Even in his worst seasons as a blocker, even through injuries, Gronk still ranked in the top half of Offensive Tackles in Run Blocking Grade.

PFF NE Patriots‏ @PFF_Patriots
Rob Gronkowski Career Run Blocking Grades

(Rank Among Offensive Tackles):
2018 - 60.1 (63rd)
2017 - 71.0 (24th)
2016 - 66.1 (t-52nd)
2015 - 84.9 (9th)
2014 - 69.7 (46th)
2013 - 65.4 (60th)
2012 - 89.7 (3rd)
2011 - 87.7 (4th)
2010 - 83.8 (9th)

This is totally and completely mindblowing.

What will the Pats miss the most? His blocking. He won 1 on 1 against Ngata, Suggs, Kahlil Mack and many more repeatedly. He was absurdly good. Even in his worst seasons as a blocker, even through injuries, Gronk still ranked in the top half of Offensive Tackles in Run Blocking Grade.

PFF NE Patriots‏ @PFF_Patriots
Rob Gronkowski Career Run Blocking Grades

(Rank Among Offensive Tackles):
2018 - 60.1 (63rd)
2017 - 71.0 (24th)
2016 - 66.1 (t-52nd)
2015 - 84.9 (9th)
2014 - 69.7 (46th)
2013 - 65.4 (60th)
2012 - 89.7 (3rd)
2011 - 87.7 (4th)
2010 - 83.8 (9th)

This is totally and completely mindblowing.

And this is where anyone who even whispers a question of his possibility of not being first ballot HoF show their true chops, or lack thereof, as an evaluator of players.

Yeah.

That’s the first thing that came to my mind in the SB watching him run down the seam and haul in a fantastic catch, setting up the games only TD.

Man, this is painful.

That was a great play but you can't tell me that he's the same player that he used to be.

That was a great play but you can't tell me that he's the same player that he used to be.

Of course he isn’t.

He’s been battered, beat, and bruised.

That being said in crunch time the only one that hangs with him is JE.

He will be missed.

What TE in this year's draft is the closest thing to Gronk?

The very best TE in the draft, regardless of how good he may be, is not remotely close to gronk.

But you knew that.

Cheers, :toast:

All of 'em

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QTDPC9zZpxU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers,:toast:

What TE in this year's draft is the closest thing to Gronk?
Still no names. But sorta like:

What Horse in the '73 belmont Stakes was closest to Secretariat?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V18ui3Rtjz4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, I think that is clear, but I also don't think it was a linear decline.

That 2nd Miami game on December 9th, I thought he ran and moved quicker than I'd seen him in a while. Hardly scientific, I realize, but I thought he looked different. His excellent offensive performance went largely unnoticed since he was widely blamed for giving up the last-second TD, which is debatable, but he caught 8 for 107 and a TD and was beating coverage all day. Running himself open like he used to.

I recall wondering if it was the warm weather or what, but even though he had some great contributions in the AFCCG and Super Bowl, after that game his movement skills seemed to me to revert back to the same sort of stiff, robotic look that we'd started seeing for a while and he caught only 5 balls over the next 4 games.

Of course, that doesn't prove anything either. We might have held him back just to get him off the radar to an extent.

It's strange, really. I'd love to know the specifics of what his injuries were but my gut feeling is he just keeps tweaking a chronic injury and can't get free from it. Back? Wheels? Both?

Whatever it was, it's a damn shame that he didn't get the kind of time that some of the other notable TEs did. Witten, those guys. He could have lapped the field if his body didn't break down.

Just came across this. Pretty funny. I could the dude doing his own reality show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z5H79SnDn0I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ron Borges has said the other day that Gronk isn't a lock for the HOF
PFF says this about Borges.

"Ron Borges is a contrarian.
He's a troll.
Borges is anti-Patriot.
That's his schtick."

PFF discusses what made Gronk so good on the field and a sure fire HOFer. PFF also shoves a stick up Borges' ass for good measure.

"When it comes to true dominance, Gronk has no peer in the history of the NFL."

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d0dkED-qP_s" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

No, I think that is clear, but I also don't think it was a linear decline.

That 2nd Miami game on December 9th, I thought he ran and moved quicker than I'd seen him in a while. Hardly scientific, I realize, but I thought he looked different. His excellent offensive performance went largely unnoticed since he was widely blamed for giving up the last-second TD, which is debatable, but he caught 8 for 107 and a TD and was beating coverage all day. Running himself open like he used to.

I recall wondering if it was the warm weather or what, but even though he had some great contributions in the AFCCG and Super Bowl, after that game his movement skills seemed to me to revert back to the same sort of stiff, robotic look that we'd started seeing for a while and he caught only 5 balls over the next 4 games.

Of course, that doesn't prove anything either. We might have held him back just to get him off the radar to an extent.

It's strange, really. I'd love to know the specifics of what his injuries were but my gut feeling is he just keeps tweaking a chronic injury and can't get free from it. Back? Wheels? Both?

Whatever it was, it's a damn shame that he didn't get the kind of time that some of the other notable TEs did. Witten, those guys. He could have lapped the field if his body didn't break down.

Curran said he met him immediately after the SB and Gronk showed him his thigh where he had gotten a full-on belt from one of the Ram DBs. Curran said it was pretty grotesque, this massive, lump, some 20 inches, which he said seemed to be causing Gronk a lot of pain. Gronk said he could barely walk. Curran said Gronk intimated that he won't miss this any more, these kinds of injuries.

I think he's 100% correct to call it a day. He can walk away now while he's still relatively healthy. I fear for him with his back in later years, I can imagine that will be very tough in his later years. But his head seems OK for now and he owes nothing to nobody.

It's such a deep shame to see him leave the scene, he was magnificent to watch. But a big, dominant player like that was always liable to get a lot of questionable shots from backers and DBs, it was they could do to bring him down, go low, on the legs.

He's a troll.
Borges is anti-Patriot.
That's his schtick."

PFF discusses what made Gronk so good on the field and a sure fire HOFer. PFF also shoves a stick up Borges' ass for good measure.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d0dkED-qP_s" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Unfortunately, I believe that Borges is still the New England representative at the HOF voting and is in charge of making the case for former Pats.

Perhaps he'll be dead in 5 years :shrug:

He's a troll.
Borges is anti-Patriot.
That's his schtick."

San Monson absolutely bodybags Borges.

“If you’re not voting for him your vote should go to the octopus that picks soccer matches.”

Back