Ground is Swaying in Japan - Liquification - About to Go Under!! April 12, 2011

HarpoonIPA

ハープーンIPA &#1249
Reaction score
This is some crazy video, may God Bless those in Japan

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hc8SjDLjdTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hc8SjDLjdTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My shrink used to worry about my "inappropriate" laughter. Fortunately, he's passed on and doesn't have to watch this.

What did those crazy bastids find amusing??? :confused:

Cheers, BostonTim

There are lot of areas in Japan that have been reclaimed from the ocean. Including the major Kansai Airport in Osaka Bay and the Nagoya Airport offshore there as well. Needless to say not as stable as normal ground to begin with.

My shrink used to worry about my "inappropriate" laughter. Fortunately, he's passed on and doesn't have to watch this.

What did those crazy bastids find amusing??? :confused:

Cheers, BostonTim

I know, and if that was happening 10 feet from me, I would be getting out of dodge not staying there.

That's some straight-up Ghostbusters II shit right there.

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day with all of the earthquakes there. Something just isn't right and I have a bad feeling that things are going to get even worse there. Then again, I'm not a scientist.

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day with all of the earthquakes there. Something just isn't right and I have a bad feeling that things are going to get even worse there. Then again, I'm not a scientist.

Methinks the ocean wants to reclaim some of what was taken from it...

Could it be the moving from after shocks (minor ones that are constant) and the water be from broken water lines?

If not, I would be catching the next flight out of there. I can handle sever storms, earthquakes, no thanks. We had a very small one here, I got awaken by the pre shaking rumbles and I was awake for the rest of the day (struck at 5am).

Paging MR. O_P_T, Paging MR. O_P_T please explain this to us:thumb:

Not too worry here its only a slight overload of Godzilla semen..Once the beast is done procreating the ground should stop swelling..:coffee:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Paging MR. O_P_T, Paging MR. O_P_T please explain this to us:thumb:

Assuming the title is correct, and the part where the water is seen streaming out of the ground makes me think it is, this is a case of soil liquefaction.

This is common in ground that is saturated with water during earthquakes, and is one of the most common causes of major damage.

During normal condition sin saturated soils, the water sits between the dirt/rock particles and moves slowly through the ground.

When the soil is shaken by the earthquake, it increases the water pressure in the ground which effectively makes the gap between the soil particles bigger. This makes the soil more of a "fluid" and thus you not only see the funky moments in the video, but buildings have been known to "sink" into the soil.

diagramliquefaction.gif

A video showing this happening in the lab is here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ngxG49Lf6co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sjdPVzQ0MBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think of it as nature's version of Coleco electric football, except the soil doesn't just move across the surface of the field but can move in all three dimensions.

You can also think of it as the vibration of the earth turns the wet soil into something more like quicksand. Not an exact analogy, but the effect is similar.

As Harrisonhits pointed out, reclaimed land from the sea or lakes is more prone to this because it tends to consist of small grain soil and be saturated with water, two things that are very prone to liquefaction.

As I recall, the biggest damage during the World Series earthquake in SF was in the marina district and was attributed to soil liquefaction, as well as the 1985 Mexico City earthquake. Both were in regions of reclaimed land from water. Mexico City was from the lakes not the ocean.

Assuming the title is correct, and the part where the water is seen streaming out of the ground makes me think it is, this is a case of soil liquefaction.

This is common in ground that is saturated with water during earthquakes, and is one of the most common causes of major damage.

During normal condition sin saturated soils, the water sits between the dirt/rock particles and moves slowly through the ground.

When the soil is shaken by the earthquake, it increases the water pressure in the ground which effectively makes the gap between the soil particles bigger. This makes the soil more of a "fluid" and thus you not only see the funky moments in the video, but buildings have been known to "sink" into the soil.

diagramliquefaction.gif

A video showing this happening in the lab is here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ngxG49Lf6co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sjdPVzQ0MBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think of it as nature's version of Coleco electric football, except the soil doesn't just move across the surface of the field but can move in all three dimensions.

You can also think of it as the vibration of the earth turns the wet soil into something more like quicksand. Not an exact analogy, but the effect is similar.

As Harrisonhits pointed out, reclaimed land from the sea or lakes is more prone to this because it tends to consist of small grain soil and be saturated with water, two things that are very prone to liquefaction.

As I recall, the biggest damage during the World Series earthquake in SF was in the marina district and was attributed to soil liquefaction, as well as the 1985 Mexico City earthquake. Both were in regions of reclaimed land from water. Mexico City was from the lakes not the ocean.

Thanks, I knew you could explain it. It doesn't look good for them, does it?

I don't know about that.

If these were filmed during aftershocks, and I assume they are because most people don't seem all that freaked out, then if the 9.0 didn't sink their building, I doubt these lesser strength ones will.

I don't know about that.

If these were filmed during aftershocks, and I assume they are because most people don't seem all that freaked out, then if the 9.0 didn't sink their building, I doubt these lesser strength ones will.

I just found this Soil Liquefaction with Dr. Ellen Rathje any relation? :D
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlSuosOTAV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent explanation from OPT. :thumb:

Buildings that have foundations extending down to the bedrock are generally okay. Earthquake-induced liquefaction is not a new phenomenon and the Japanese would most certainly have taken that into consideration, as far as implementing strict building codes. Buildings on pile foundations will probably not fare very well.

However, the biggest worries are the underground utilities lines, water and waste pipes, and especially gas pipes.

There are lot of areas in Japan that have been reclaimed from the ocean. Including the major Kansai Airport in Osaka Bay and the Nagoya Airport offshore there as well. Needless to say not as stable as normal ground to begin with.

Many parts of Japan were built with landfill over water, so this isn't a surprise. The Earth always takes back what it once was.

My wife just got back from Japan on Thursday, April 14, with her parents. They will be staying here with us for 2-1/2 months. That is the good news.

I showed them this video when they got here and they said that they had seen it many times on TV. It is in Urayasu near Tokyo Disneyland, which is right near where their condominium is. I hope everything will be alright there. My father-in-law says that their building is on much stronger ground and this mostly affected the sidewalks for about two feet down. They say there was water coming out of the ground.

:grovel::grovel::grovel:

Back