Handicapped Parking Vent

CleatMarks

Reaction score
Just got back from taking my parents out and I've got to vent about this. It happens all of the time and I get disgusted at the classlessness of some people.

My father is 90 years old but can still get around with some assistence. My mother has had issues and has had to walk with crutches for 20 years now.

I take them out to dinner and there's no handicap parking available...all spaces are filled. The place was busy and I can't really drop them at the curb so I park the car deep in the parking lot and start helping them to the restaurant. I get up to the handicapped parking and there are 6 spaces total. Four cars have the required license plate/ hanging tag from the rear view mirror, two people have nothing but are parked in their cars (running) in what looks like waiting for takeout.

While I'm walking up, some woman in her twenties and clearly no physical issues comes out of the restaurant with her husband and gets into her car with a handicapped tag hanging from their mirror and they woman in the picture is clearly 50 years older than either one of them.

Is it possible that they dropped the woman in the picture off, yes. Is it likely, no.

It just fries my a$$ the lack of class some people have to park in handicapped spots as if they're places to wait as long as the car is running or people who use someone's tag. It's completely classless and disgusting the rudeness and lazyness some people have when I'm walking my parents a couple hundred yards because they think that there's nothing wrong with what they're doing..

Sorry for the vent but I've had this happen with them a number of times and I'm always shocked at some people's lack of good sense. One of these days I'm going to slash someone's tires or pull them out of their car and beat them....

(okay, I'm done.)

Unless it's raining, I prefer to park away from the door of the store/restaurant, less chance some nimrod will open the door of their giant SUV wide and ding my door. But if you're waiting for carryout, find someplace else to park then a handicapped spot, and if you're able to walk fine, even if you're driving 'mom's' car don't do it, the country is fat enough, walk a little further. I think I agree with you, then again, I probably don't. You're not evil.

Ran into the same sort of thing a few years ago when I was taking my mom to the doctor after having hip replacement surgery. Just as i was puling into the parking lot an a-hole delivery guy pulled up grabbing the last handicap spot and ran into the building before I could roll down my window and bitch at him.

It forced my Mom to use her walker from the only parking on the far side of the lot. He was coming out as we were going in and I chewed his ass out. You should have done the same to them.

I have a tag in my Jeep for my mom. Unless she is going in, I park in a regular spot. Even though she tells me to park there with her in the Jeep, I don't.

A good friend who was born with out hands or legs but is a gifted artist will ride up to cars that are illegally parked in the handicapped spots in his electric wheel chair.
Then after confirming the cars are illegally there he will drive past the car with one of his steel claws extended. Resulting in three deep gashed in the offending car. On one occasion I know of he pulled into a van accessible spot only to have some idiot pull in and park in the striped space next to him those spaces are so vans with wheel chair ramp lifts can open the lift.
Well he opened the lift right onto the roof of the car that parked there.

I know i see it all the time. People with nothing wrong with them using there parents or a friends Handicap pass. Just so they get the closest spot to the store or restaurant.

A good friend who was born with out hands or legs but is a gifted artist will ride up to cars that are illegally parked in the handicapped spots in his electric wheel chair.
Then after confirming the cars are illegally there he will drive past the car with one of his steel claws extended. Resulting in three deep gashed in the offending car. On one occasion I know of he pulled into a van accessible spot only to have some idiot pull in and park in the striped space next to him those spaces are so vans with wheel chair ramp lifts can open the lift.

Not driving but being disabled since birth and growing up with hundreds of other disabled kids and adults I have heard stories of what some of my friends have done to cars without HP plates or HP plackets and I’m quite embarrassed. One friend would break the tail lights and another took off his wheelchair foot peddle and smashed in a drivers side window.

That is what got me about that story, does breaking one rule give you the permission to break another? I say no, while people shouldn't be parking there if they are not the one that the plate is for, it is not right to damage another person private property and could lead to criminal charges. While it will get the point across, it doesn't portray a good image.

Call the cops or report to the owner of the REST is what I would do...

I hold a disabled veteran plate (MA) and at a local grocery store, got a ticket for parking in a disabled parking spot. I went into my hearing and informed them according to MA code, my disabled plate carried the same weight as a handicapped plate or a handicapped placard that hangs off of a mirror. To make a long story short, this case was dismissed and when I went out to my car, I had another ticket for parking in a handicapped parking space. Needless to say, I got this dismissed immediately and demanded copies to both tickets to give to my DAV and my Legion post. Hopefully between your gripes and my experience we can educate folks about the variety of handicapped plates and their legal uses,we have done our duty. By the way, I agree with the OP and will + him.

Incredible! I love it. I am a vengeful fvcker, though. :fire:

They did a "sting" operation in Providence a few years ago because so many people were parking on South Main St with handicap parking tags. They had cops ask the people who got out of the cars with obviously NO handicap to provide the name of the person who the tag is registered to. Over 20 of them were using tags from their dead parents.

Let me just type that again.

Over 20 of them were using tags from their dead parents.

Call Websters. We have a new definition for "scum".

They did a "sting" operation in Providence a few years ago because so many people were parking on South Main St with handicap parking tags. They had cops ask the people who got out of the cars with obviously NO handicap to provide the name of the person who the tag is registered to. Over 20 of them were using tags from their dead parents.

Let me just type that again.

Over 20 of them were using tags from their dead parents.

Call Websters. We have a new definition for "scum".

Well, it's not like the parents needed them:coffee:

It's pretty sick. There are lots of people who really need those spots because it's difficult enough for them to get around. I know someone who used to use their grandmother's tag as well. I would not only tell them how bad I thought it was but if I were in the car, I wouldn't allow them to use it when I was there. The good thing is that they finally got caught by someone in a wheelchair and the cops pulled the tag.

I don't know what goes through some people's minds. Do they think that people are "getting over on them" by having special parking? I just don't get why walking a few extra feet is so difficult when those few extra feet are that difficult for people who really need those spots.

Couldn't agree more, Cleat... People should be thankful they DON'T need handicap parking, and leave it for those who DO!

A story from the other side. My wife, with two kids in the car, both of which are asleep, had to stop at a school to pick up our daughter. When she arrived, there were literally 20+ parking spots open immediately adjacent to the handicapped space, but she didn't want to wander too far from the car considering that people were being arrested for leaving their kids in the car to walk over and donate for Christ Sakes.

Anyway, she gets out of the car and this gentleman walks over and start accosting her for behaving in such a blatantly disrespectful manner. He goes on about how he fought in a war to preserve people's freedom and really rips into her. Rather than point out the empty parking lot, she moved the car and woke up both boys.

The funny thing is, if we wanted to we could get a handicapped license because our son is special needs. :rolleyes:

Back