Heads Up to Bank of America Customers

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
Not a political thread so don't make it one:

By ANDREW R. JOHNSON

NEW YORK—Bank of America Corp., the largest U.S. bank by assets, plans to charge customers a $5 monthly fee for making debit-card purchases starting early next year, according to an internal memo sent to bank executives Thursday.

The fee will apply to many, but not all, customers during any month they use their debit card to make a purchase.

The fee won't apply to customers who don't use their debit card to make a purchase or who use it only for ATM transactions.

Bank of America is trying to cushion revenue losses it expects to incur from new caps on the fees merchants pay when a customer uses a debit card at their stores.

In June, the Federal Reserve Board finalized rules capping such fees at 24 cents a transaction, compared with a current average of 44 cents.

Bank of America has said it expects the caps, which take effect Saturday, to erase $2 billion in revenue annually. Industrywide, the caps, which apply to banks with $10 billion and more in assets, could wipe out $6.6 billion in annual revenue for banks, according to an August report from Javelin Strategy and Research.

"The economics of offering a debit card have changed with recent regulations," a spokeswoman for Bank of America said in a statement Thursday.

The fee will apply to various consumer checking accounts, but won't apply to customers in certain premium accounts, the bank's memo said.

"This new fee allows us to continue to offer the convenience of a debit card with the full range of added features customers have come to expect," including fraud protection and monitoring, special savings programs and other services, the bank's memo said.

Other banks have introduced or are testing new fees in response to the debit-fee caps, which stem from a provision known as the Durbin amendment in last year's Dodd-Frank legislation to overhaul financial regulation.

Wells Fargo & Co. said it will charge a $3-a-month fee for debit and ATM cards in several states starting in October if customers use the cards to make a purchase, under a pilot program.

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. has been testing a fee in a small market in Wisconsin since February. Regions Financial Corp. and SunTrust Banks Inc. have also added monthly fees for some debit-card customers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204138204576600800330404330.html
Personally I can't fault them for it. The costs have to be paid for in some way.

Anyway, heads up!

Thanks for the head's up. I'm a Premium Account holder (bitches) as an ex(but grandfathered)employee so it doesn't apply to me. Boom.

Thanks for the head's up. I'm a Premium Account holder (bitches) as an ex(but grandfathered)employee so it doesn't apply to me. Boom.
Can I get some kind of favorite ex-girlfriend grandfather my ass in clause?:rolleyes:

Sounds like yet another reason to buy everything on Amex, clock mad points, and make direct bill pay payments to Amex from BofA. Debit cards are teh suck anyway, no protection, and the only people who win are the merchants and banks when you use them.

Sounds like yet another reason to buy everything on Amex, clock mad points, and make direct bill pay payments to Amex from BofA. Debit cards are teh suck anyway, no protection, and the only people who win are the merchants and banks when you use them.

I just use my debit, as a credit:shrug:

Thanks for the heads up. I CAN fault them plenty. They use our money every day to make MORE money and this is likely going to make us change banks though we have been with them for almost 20 years. It's the principle of the thing to me. I give you my paychecks with auto deposit every month and you use that to make money and I get to use my debit card at lots of locations to make purchases. That seemed like a decent enough deal. Take the $5 and shove it where Ryan Fitzpatrick got violated.:)

Doesn't Amex have a rather steep yearly fee? I try to avoid all credit cards for the fees and interest rates.
No, my old greenie was $65iirc, I think the gold I just upgraded to after 15 years is maybe $115, and I think I just saved that much using it to book the family xmas vacation vs. all the travelocity/orbitz/aaa sites, plus I get double points.

No, my old greenie was $65iirc, I think the gold I just upgraded to after 15 years is maybe $115, and I think I just saved that much using it to book the family xmas vacation vs. all the travelocity/orbitz/aaa sites, plus I get double points.

I haven't had an amex for over a decade. Can you remind me about how the points work? How do you get them and how can you spend them? ........:coffee:

Thanks for the heads up. I CAN fault them plenty. They use our money every day to make MORE money and this is likely going to make us change banks though we have been with them for almost 20 years. It's the principle of the thing to me. I give you my paychecks with auto deposit every month and you use that to make money and I get to use my debit card at lots of locations to make purchases. That seemed like a decent enough deal. Take the $5 and shove it where Ryan Fitzpatrick got violated.:)

You were being charged before, you just didn't know it. :thumb:

I do everything in cash, except for online purchases when I use gift cards...

Livin' off the grid :thumb:

Me too. I haven't used a CC since 2003, when I bought a new stove. My depression-era parents hit a grand slam where 'if you don't have it (money), you don't buy it' is concerned.

Can I get some kind of favorite ex-girlfriend grandfather my ass in clause?:rolleyes:

Your ass is grandfathered, yes. Always welcome. :D

Even though I don't actually do this, this.

**** principles. I refuse to be charged $5/month for something banks used as a marketing piece 10-15 years ago to offer convenience to customers. If this change affected me, I'd be gone because I think it's ridiculous. Actually, I guess that is principle-based. :coffee:

Back