Heads Up to Bank of America Customers

you would think that congress would do a bit more research all of these unintended consequences seem to be piling up quite fast =/

i have an interesting thought i wonder if they could try that whole free market thing they keep talking about and just leave it all alone just think of how much money they'd save if they didnt ahve to pay all those bureaucrats

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ROFL ROFL ROFL

That's a good one! Our elected officials doing that? Hahahahahahahahahahaha You had me going for a minute there. No, really! You're hilarious! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Oh... wait... :banghead:

:coffee:

Yeah this belongs with the other dicks and assholes. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

You realize this is in response to legislation, correct? Congress cut the banks' fee revenue elsewhere so they decided to implement this debit card fee to make up for it.

It's very similar to Congress capping the interest rates on credit cards "for the benefit of the consumer." What happened? Instead of the banks making revenue off of those who don't pay timely and go over their credit limits (bad customers), the banks raised the rates on the good customers who do pay timely and stay under their limits.

Congress fail.

Didn't respond to this before I saw how this played out but it's evident now that the banks don't need this fee to survive and to the second part,

My rates were not raised on my credit cards for personal or business use. The only thing that changed was the minimum payment rate and that's the way it should be on credit cards. I pay every month and have a low rate. If I miss and don't have a good explaination, it should go up. If your rates were raised, you should have questioned it like I did on several smaller cards from department stores. On those, I refused the higher rate and in all but one case, they kept the same rate. For the one that they didn't, I cancelled when they refused to keep the rate. It's a complete scam.

No law says that everyone has to pay for the few deadbeats. There's nothing in the law that says that. What the companies are doing is passing on the risk to you. If you accept that, then it's your fault.

Here's my point though. I generally have a broad relationship with my bank. I have my normal accounts checking/savings and I also have a equity account with them. I keep these accounts way above any fee requirements. I also have business accounts and my wife has business accounts with them. I have lots of money that is in these accounts at any one time. We're not talking millions but we're not talking about chump change either. At any one time, they are holding money for me that they are using to leverage loans and other investments. In other words, they play with my money as part of their balance sheet.

If I remove my banking business from my bank, they lose a lot more than they gain by a 5 dollar fee per card or account each month. It's insulting to me for anyone to tell me that because someone's got a capped anything, that the bank is going to lose money based on what kind of aco****s I have and how they'e used.

You want to make up some money that they think they're losing? Charge people use these full service banks and get more out of the services than they put in. Don't insult me by saying you're (the bank) losing money by me having a bank card.

Just like they have different credit card rates and some with fees and limits, charge the kid who keeps 100 dollar balance and uses his card every week. I'm not that customer so don't treat me like that customer. There are plenty of credit unions and smaller banks that handle lower balances just as well.

If people are hurting the bank, then don't have 100 ATMs on every corner that are free for people with 100 dollar balances. Let the person go to the credit union and take his money out from the atm at the bank. Don't tell me that I need to pay 5 dollars to use an ATM because I'm losing the bank money and don't waste my time telling me that it's because of the government. The government did not say charge everyone fees. That's the bank's easy way of passing off the problem.

(BTW, by "you" I mean bank not you personally)

Too Late BoA.

My accounts are closed and I am now earning 3.51% at a credit union, with no fees of any kind. Should have done it years ago.

At my credit union, I must have $5 in a savings account. And that's it.

I belonged to one about 25 years ago where you had to keep at least $100 in, I didn't last long with them.:coffee:

No ATM fees?

If this is USAA it is 10 ATM fees per month are refunded but no POS fees. :shrug: We might keep t:shrug:e long standing Bank of America account open so we don't have holds on checks but we made the switcharoo too.

BofA has officially backed off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rs-roar-back/2011/11/01/gIQAHQZbdM_story.html

Bank of America Corp. is scrapping its plan to charge a $5 monthly fee for debit card purchases after outraged customers threatened an exodus.

The about-face comes as customers across the country petitioned the bank and mobilized to close their accounts in favor of credit unions and community banks. The outcry prompted other major banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., to cancel trial tests of their own debit card fees.

Bank of America, the nation’s second largest bank, said it reversed course after listening to customers. Anne Pace, a spokeswoman for Bank of America, declined to say whether there was a spike in account closures following the September announcement that it would start charging the fee early next year.

Higher fees have become a fact of life for bank customers in recent years. But this one touched a nerve because it hit so close to home; many Americans have come to rely on debit cards to manage essential expenses such as groceries and gas.

At the same time, there’s still lingering resentment over the role that banks played in the 2008 financial meltdown and the ongoing home foreclosure crisis. That anger has come to surface in recent weeks with the Occupy Wall Street movement.

The banks have countered by saying that efforts in the past two years to regulate the industry have forced them to raise or introduce new fees to stay profitable. That made the march to higher fees seem almost inevitable — and makes the rare victory by consumers in this case even more remarkable.

“When I heard about the fee, it was the last straw for me,” said Molly Katchpole, a 22-year-old nanny whose online petition urging Bank of America to drop the debit fee captured more than 300,000 signatures. “I’m living paycheck to paycheck and one more fee was just too much.”

Back