Hotels/ Motels- what do you look for?

sg14

Reaction score
I look for inexpensive. 50 bucks or so without breakfast. 75 bucks with breakfast. (I find it interesting that the free breakfast has such value to me).

Stay away from the "too cheap" place- this is Motel 6 for me.

If there are contractor trucks parked outside that's a good sign. They will have to behave /act professional. And the place is probably cheap.

Learned the hard way that some locals have off season rates. In Moab starting Nov 1st can get a nice room for 35 $.

Love it when we can find some older, well kept place off the freeway.

When traveling and making phone calls for an available room I can't resist the elderly woman with a bit of personality. "You're ok honey. I'm on the east side of town with plenty of rooms".

A-Waldorf-Astoria-Resort1.jpg

I'm with Joolz.

Comfort and luxury. Top of the line mattresses and amenities. Room service and a good restaurant.

Before I retired, the positions I had with govt service required travel. More often than not, the rooms were contracted and we had very little choice in the matter. When they weren't contracted and we had to make our own travel arrangements, I had just few things that mattered to me. Clean, quiet and I didn't want to be near an ice machine, elevator, stairway or the side facing the highway. Couldn't always get everything I wanted, but that was my ask list. This is just about the room and nothing about a resort vacation.

I had just few things that mattered to me. Clean, quiet and I didn't want to be near an ice machine, elevator, stairway or the side facing the highway.

Cheers, BostonTim
This. And add Lisa's mattress. Restaurant, per se is irrelevant. I'm eating out. Except breakfast. Good free breakfast bar please, with frequently updated eggs and good sausage and bacon.

Cheers, BostonTim

Clean, comfortable, and quiet with kitchenette option, within walking distance of good restaurants, local hangouts, and nightlife.

I work at a Hyatt. So I do get employee rate . If not I just use Hotwire to book my hotel reservations.

Generally, I use Hotwire.com to get rooms for much cheaper rates. They tell you the area, price, and rating. After you pay, they tell you the hotel name. I have never been disappointed. I've paid $100/night for $300 rooms and $60 for $200 rooms. I know the discounts are true, cuz every time I book a room with them I go to the hotel's website or hotels.com to compare. Sometimes the savings is only $20 to $50, but still.

Air conditioning or at least a good fan. It's the first thing I think about when I need to travel somewhere.

I need a good deal of coolness to sleep well and most hotels/motels have regulated systems which never get it as cool as I like or turn on and shut off all night long. Then I'm awake and start listening to the ambient sounds of the hotel, which is not good. I don't care how great the room and the shower is if they won't give me enough control of the room temp.

Except Florida. Florida hotels tend to not cheap out with the AC much or they'd have dead tourists to explain away.

I want to blast it all night with a nice, consistent white noise sound and I sleep like a baby. So it makes their electric bill higher. I'd pay a surcharge and not bitch about it.

I also hate those big, puffy comforters popular at big chains. Way too hot for me.

Decent coffee is a big plus as well. I find that to be another rarity.

For business or weekend getaways I am loyal to the Hilton chains and building points in their system. Marriot hotels are hit or miss. Holiday Inn is just ok. Hilton brand hotels seem consistently good.....mattresses, AC, fans, cleanliness, breakfast etc.........

For vacation I stay away from the All Inclusive tourist traps. The wifey and I like the B&Bs and places off the beaten path where we get more of the local vibe.

She would never stay at a "cheap place" citing bed bugs, legionaires, etc......

For business or weekend getaways I am loyal to the Hilton chains and building points in their system. Marriot hotels are hit or miss. Holiday Inn is just ok. Hilton brand hotels seem consistently good.....mattresses, AC, fans, cleanliness, breakfast etc.........

For vacation I stay away from the All Inclusive tourist traps. The wifey and I like the B&Bs and places off the beaten path where we get more of the local vibe.

She would never stay at a "cheap place" citing bed bugs, legionaires, etc......
I second this. I belong to both Hilton and Marriott rewards programs; where I stay depends on the city.

And on vacation we too stay at B&Bs if we're on a hiking trip; we'll rent a downtown apartment if we're doing an urban holiday and use mass transit to get around, and avoid renting a car.

Not a fan of the B&B thing, especially if it's a shared bath situation. Sorry, but I really don't want to make small talk with you over breakfast. :)

Many years ago I stayed a night in a hostel. Long story, wasn't my choice and never, ever, ever again.

Any hotels by Sheraton for SPG points or any hotels by Marriott for Marriott Rewards.

I do like the ones that offer "4 hour rates."

The clientele there is rather interesting.

I don't need luxurious, but I don't want the flea bag motel either.
I prefer a place which is within a short distance of good food and drink. I rarely ever stay in a hotel for more than a day or 2, but if I am staying longer, location is very important.

Back