Huge explosion near Waco, Texas

Steve-o

TACOS
Reaction score
Holy ****ing shit.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ROrpKx3aIjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/fertilizer-plant-just-exploded-waco-texas/64337/

Updated (11:42 p.m.): Several homes are on fire, and residents of a nearby retirement home are trapped inside after an explosion at a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, a small town near Waco. The cause of the explosion and extent of the damage is unclear, but the local Department of Public Safety says that a number of of people are severely injured. The explosion could be felt as far away as Dallas, which is nearly 100 miles away. (Scroll to the bottom of this post for a live feed from the local NBC affiliate.)

Witnesses nearby reported seeing a massive fireball rise from the site of the plant. It's all pretty scary for those nearby. "I said, 'This thing is going to blow' ... and I told my mom and dad to get in the car," one witness told the Waco Tribune. "I was standing next to my car with my fiancee, waiting for my parents to come out and [the plant] exploded. It knocked us into the car... Every house within about four blocks is blown apart."

Wow, I've been watching on the news but hadn't seen the explosion. On the news I'm watching it says the blast wave was a 5-mile radius.

Spoke to a friend of mine from Texas, who said that they had felt the blast around 15 miles from West, Tx.

Hopefully they'll get it under control before the second load blows up :(

Isn't this the 20th anniversary of Koresh/FBI fire?

Isn't this the 20th anniversary of Koresh/FBI fire?

Two days before.

Dozens of employees have died in an explosion and resulting fire at a fertilizer plant in Waco Texas, which thus far shows no signs of being connected to domestic or foreign terrorism and instead appears to have been an accident. But the explosion not only comes just two days after the Boston Marathon bombing, it also hauntingly comes just two days before the twentieth anniversary of the incident which most outsiders have most strongly identified the city of Waco with ever since: a similar explosion and fire bringing to an end a deadly standoff with Branch Davidian leader David Koresh and his followers.
Link

Middie is near DeSoto which is almost in the Dallas city limits.

We have a strong front pushing through from the north that certainly isn't helping things any. Strong winds have caused thunderstorms here in northeast San Antonio. We were only expecting drizzle, but the front kicked up strength.

Egads what a lousy day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Isn't Pyx down that way too?

This reminds me of the power plant that blew up in Danvers. People felt it miles and miles away.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families

Edit: Pyx posted as i was posting this lol

I'm in San Antonio. We're fine down here.

I just emailed Middie but he hasn't replied yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

I worry about kids that attend Baylor University. One is the nephew of former Saint Deuce McAllister.
Posted via Mobile Device

I heard the explosion was detected in seismographs at 2.1.

Big ba da boom

Middie emailed. He's fine. About 25 miles from it but he felt it!
Posted via Mobile Device

This is a very sad day. Half that town was blown to hell. Do they know what caused it.

Back