I don't think this team is dead, not even close to it.

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
Only in New England would I have to try and argue that a 2-1 team is not horrible. But here it goes...Folks, I think we have a better team on our hands than last season. How so? Allow me to explain.

First off, the defense. This IS a better unit. PEople say the Broncos dominated us on D, well that happens when they're out there ALL night with no offense to give them a break. When your D is on the field all night, it's going to be gashed. Ecspecially by Denver. I think the two plays Denver made was excellent coverage by us, jsut a perfect pass from Plummer. That was a great play by the Broncos. Now the second play was given to them by us. Samuel's burnt, Sanders with a wide open chance at the tackle, and what does he do? Whiffs, and gives up a TD. I'm not worried about this D though. The big plays have just come from bullshit like that. We can improve on those things as the season goes on.

For offense, I think we'll be fine. The ONE area we can have struggle is the passing game. Why? Because Brady is our QB, and when Brady is your QB, you know things will get better. Give his receivers some time, watch this run game pound it out. It'll help our defense a ton. Give this offense a few more weeks before calling it shitty people, please. This team is 2-1. Not 0-3, not 1-2. We need improveent, but that;s fine. We started off in 03 2-2. How'd that go? We'll fix things people, don't panic just yet.

The one thing we MUST improve on is turnovers for the defense. This D needs to pick some balls off, cause some fumbles, etc. This defense can stop people, they just can't kill them yet. We need to force mistakes. I'd like to see a better pass rushing attack.

All in all, I think we have a 12-4 tema on our hands. You people are so negative your efuse tos ee that. We can beat Cincy folks, just have some damn faith!:patriots:

Just a reminder, 2004 was the only season in the Belichick era where the Patriots started out fast.
________
buy no2

BionicPatriot said:
Only in New England would I have to try and argue that a 2-1 team is not horrible. But here it goes...Folks, I think we have a better team on our hands than last season. How so? Allow me to explain.

First off, the defense. This IS a better unit. PEople say the Broncos dominated us on D, well that happens when they're out there ALL night with no offense to give them a break. When your D is on the field all night, it's going to be gashed. Ecspecially by Denver. I think the two plays Denver made was excellent coverage by us, jsut a perfect pass from Plummer. That was a great play by the Broncos. Now the second play was given to them by us. Samuel's burnt, Sanders with a wide open chance at the tackle, and what does he do? Whiffs, and gives up a TD. I'm not worried about this D though. The big plays have just come from bullshit like that. We can improve on those things as the season goes on.

For offense, I think we'll be fine. The ONE area we can have struggle is the passing game. Why? Because Brady is our QB, and when Brady is your QB, you know things will get better. Give his receivers some time, watch this run game pound it out. It'll help our defense a ton. Give this offense a few more weeks before calling it shitty people, please. This team is 2-1. Not 0-3, not 1-2. We need improveent, but that;s fine. We started off in 03 2-2. How'd that go? We'll fix things people, don't panic just yet.

The one thing we MUST improve on is turnovers for the defense. This D needs to pick some balls off, cause some fumbles, etc. This defense can stop people, they just can't kill them yet. We need to force mistakes. I'd like to see a better pass rushing attack.

All in all, I think we have a 12-4 tema on our hands. You people are so negative your efuse tos ee that. We can beat Cincy folks, just have some damn faith!:patriots:

Great post. You touch on the one point I keep going back to- the passing game. Of all the components of your team, the passing game is the one that takes the most time to develop. Running, defense, special teams are all built around solid fundamentals and being physical. Passing is built on timing, and timing doesn't come overnight.

I fully believe that we can beat the Bengals this week, and that 11-13 wins are well within range.

Great post.

I´m tired of all the negativity - guess thats just how New Englanders react to it when their sports team struggle a bit (I can only imagine how bad the Red Sox bashing has been this year since I haven´t followed it).

Its week 3. We are 2 -1 and it´s not like the sky i falling just because they lost one game against a very good team.

I think this team will not finish any worse than 11 - 5 and 12 - 4 is probably more likely.

Even if the Pats were to lose to the Bengals they'd be 2-2 with only 3 tough games left in the season, Indy, Chicago, Jax. Let's assume we lose those 3 as well.....

11 - 5

Patriot issues

I feel Tom Brady has lingering personal issues and after hearing he had contacted Matt H to go on about an above average receiver he may have issues in the Denver game which he certainly did. That being said, I agree it is SOOOOOOOO early in the season. I do hope Chad Jackson does see the field at some point but Brady must now move on and plenty of time to do so.

I do feel two areas really bit us besides Tom's concentration in that we attempted way to many long balls versus high percentage short passes. Shocked I hadn't heard this mentioned on WEEI.

With Dillon missing for the one yard push perhaps the offensive line lost it's confidence when Maroney was stuffed. However Tom rarely has a good game against Denver, however our schedule appears to be in our favor, hopefully we won't be playing playoff football in Denver.

If the receivers can get on the field and stay healthy we should have a better group come years end including the maturing of the tight ends. I must say, Troy Brown still amazes me and I wish the Pats would use Faulk as a receiver too if need be for his exceptional hands. Glad to see Faulk three games into the season with no fumbles, which is Faulk's only issue for he is so talented.

I just hope they stop so many low percentage deep balls.

Defense was burned on a few plays but they did their job overall considering the bad calls against them and Sanders getting burned twice. Junior did well tackling yet gave up a few big runs.

The field sod hurt us mentally losing 3 easy points too.

Pats will be fine, after the bye week. Carson Palmer makes many throws into coverage so hopefully we will have a few interceptions.

Go Pats!

Exactly, we're a very slow team. We'll be solid, then once turkey day rolls around we shoulda tke ti up another level. We just need to hang tight right now, I just REALLY don't wanna go 2-2 either. I still want a good seeding.

I like to check the status of the DBs when evaluating overall team progress:

Mitchell, T Jones, Gay - IR
Hawkins, Wilson, Hobbs - questionable to play this weekend

Yup, I'd say they're right on track for another playoff run! :thumb: >)

I think the team is dead. Still somewhat interesting, and it's not clear what they are doing exactly (why aren't they spending money? why aren't they trying to improve the team?), but I think it's actually questionable that they will win the AFC east, which appears to be a very weak division.

thomas144 said:
(why aren't they spending money? why aren't they trying to improve the team?)

The extra cap money will be spent this year- no question.

They can use it to pick up an available/needed players contracts, or they can REWARD current roster players by giving them their bonuses early or extending their contacts.

I'm glad they have options, unlike other teams.

thomas144 said:
I think the team is dead. Still somewhat interesting, and it's not clear what they are doing exactly (why aren't they spending money? why aren't they trying to improve the team?), but I think it's actually questionable that they will win the AFC east, which appears to be a very weak division.
I think that after three superbowl victories, Bob Kraft is entitled to take a year off from winning, and try to maximize his profits. When you think about the big picture, it's a rather greedy on the fans part to expect the Pats to win it all every year. Just be happy that we're well under the cap, and Kraft is finally able to make a few bucks.

I suspect that if you went back 10 years ago and asked any fan if they would tolerate the highest ticket prices and not spending to the cap every year, but they'd have a new stadium and 3 rings, most people would say that's a fair deal. Maybe next year they can make another run at the title.
________
Mazda MX-5

dchester said:
I suspect that if you went back 10 years ago and asked any fan if they would tolerate the highest ticket prices and not spending to the cap every year, but they'd have a new stadium and 3 rings, most people would say that's a fair deal. Maybe next year they can make another run at the title.

Hellz yeah.

Annihilus remembers saying that he'd be happy regardless of the Pats record for the next 10 years after they won Superbowl XXXVI.

We've become rather spoiled with all this winning.

Annihilus said:
Spoiled my ass! I've been a eason ticket since 1972 and I gone through all the years of shittyness, inept coaching, lousy personnel decisions and bad play.

I WANT MORE! (although right now, I am somewhat satisfied. sort of like in an eating chinese food kind of way)

Annihilus said:

Ain't that the truth. I fondly remember the Hugh Millen and Tommy Hodson years, when the fans would get excited if the Pats were simply competitive. "Yeah, they lost 27-14, but, hey, they were leading at halftime!"

I don't expect the Super Bowl every year. I would like the team to be competitive, and hopefully get a playoff spot. And I think they're on track for that. The Patriots under Belipioli have always been a slow-gelling team, and as noted the only years they started out fast are the years they DIDN'T do well in the postseason. Even if they get blown out this weekend and fall to 2-2, as long as everyone stays healthy I think they'll get better and better as the leaves fall off the trees.

Ras said:
Spoiled my ass! I've been a eason ticket since 1972 and I gone through all the years of shittyness, inept coaching, lousy personnel decisions and bad play.

I WANT MORE! (although right now, I am somewhat satisfied. sort of like in an eating chinese food kind of way)
Eason? what's tony have to do with it

:Eason:

dchester said:
I think that after three superbowl victories, Bob Kraft is entitled to take a year off from winning, and try to maximize his profits. When you think about the big picture, it's a rather greedy on the fans part to expect the Pats to win it all every year. Just be happy that we're well under the cap, and Kraft is finally able to make a few bucks.

That's actually basically how I look at it. They may not have a lot of depth at wide receiver, but they are stockpiling offensive and defensive linemen, who as anyone who has played football knows, are the finest fellows you will ever meet.

PRINT MEDIA:
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
RON BORGES:
Here's one.
PRINT MEDIA:
Ninepence.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We're not dead!
PRINT MEDIA:
What?
RON BORGES:
Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We're not dead!
PRINT MEDIA:
'Ere. He says they're not dead!
RON BORGES:
Yes, they are.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We're not!
PRINT MEDIA:
They aren't?
RON BORGES:
Well, they will be soon. They're very ill.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We're getting better!
RON BORGES:
No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.
PRINT MEDIA:
Oh, I can't take the story like that. It's against regulations.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We don't want to go on the cart! We deserve more respect.
RON BORGES:
Oh, don't be such a baby.
PRINT MEDIA:
I can't take your story.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
We feel fine!
RON BORGES:
Well, do me a favour.
PRINT MEDIA:
I can't.
RON BORGES:
Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? They won't be long.
PRINT MEDIA:
No, I've got to go to the Redskins. They've lost nine.
RON BORGES:
Well, when's your next round?
PRINT MEDIA:
Thursday.
PATRIOT PLAYER:
I think I'll go for a touchdown.
RON BORGES:
You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?
PATRIOT PLAYER: [trash talking]
We feel happy. We feel happy.
[Print media looking the other way whilst Ron makes stuff up]
RON BORGES:
That better? Ah, thanks very much.
PRINT MEDIA:
Not at all. See you on Thursday.
RON BORGES:
Right. All right.
[howl]
[clop clop clop]
Who's that, then? (as they look over at Peyton Manning)
PRINT MEDIA:
I dunno. Must be a king.
RON BORGES:
Why?
PRINT MEDIA:
He hasn't got shit all over him.

dchester said:
Just be happy that we're well under the cap, and Kraft is finally able to make a few bucks.

WTF?

If Krafty wants to cash in on his investment, he could sell a minority stake in the team. It's not as if he hasn't made a BILLION on the capital appreciation of the team.

Wandering Athol said:
WTF?

If Krafty wants to cash in on his investment, he could sell a minority stake in the team. It's not as if he hasn't made a BILLION on the capital appreciation of the team.

If he's planning to sell a stake in the team, maybe take the team public, that would be another reason to be raking in cash right now, to make it a more attractive investment to someone else. He would do the same if he were planning to sell the team completely.

Back