I really love Bill, but I think his ego is a big problem for this team

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
The fact is that Bill Belichick is a great head coach. He lead the Pats to three SBs. That's no small feat. He lead them to the 18-1 season. He was the key defensive coach on two Giants champions.

He's a sure fire HOFer.

I am glad that the Pats have him.

I remember well the day that he resigned from the Jets and the tumult that surrounded his hiring.

I wrote on my whiteboard at work in big letters "BELICHICK" and all the NY sports fans were kind of amazed that I was so happy about getting him.

But, still, I can't reconcile myself to the following things:

1. As much as SpyGate was overblown and that major twats like Tony Dungy proved themselves to be phonies and opportunists when they saw blood in the water, the fact remains that the Patriots biggest crime was arrogance. How could BB continue to tape when the NFL had issued a memo against it?! Yeah, Mangini is a bastard, but it was arrogant to shove taping up his ass, and BB was reckless in giving a douche like Ratgini an easy button to press.

2. How does Bill trade Dickie Seymour away when his defensive line is thin? We'll all love the number one draft pick when we get him -- I hope -- but the fact is that we will have seen two full seasons of the Pats defense really missing him before that happens. Two years is a lot.

3. Belichick admitted that he was over worked. The two guys he has never won without -- Weis and Crenell -- were available to be re-hired as coordinators and Bill, it seems, didn't talk with them. Instead, he addressed his problem of being over worked by hiring no one.

4. Second half adjustments on offense. BB is either unwilling or unable to make them. They were bad in the second half last year on offense and they have been even worse in the first two weeks of this season.

5. He added no impact players on defense this year. He apparently thought coaching and time in the system would be enough. That is hard to figure.

6. The 4th and 13 call. Sorry, but it was pure arrogance to think that he had a play in the bag that could make up for the long odds against conversion, especially given how that game was going.

7. The 4th and 2 call. I actually like the math there but it seemed arrogant to call such a play when the team was so out of whack just before it. That may be less arrogance than something else.

8. The general sentiment that one gets that BB thinks it's more about coaching and system than players. I can't pinpoint where I get this from, but I do get it.

I know people bristle against this stuff and will say that it was just one game. But my reaction and concern is not just based on the Jets game. True, the Jets game was like going to the dentist and getting a rectal exam at the same time, but these concerns about Bill have been festering since SpyGate, for me.

Since this is a message board, let's talk about this.

The fact is that Bill Belichick is a great head coach. He lead the Pats to three SBs. That's no small feat. He lead them to the 18-1 season. He was the key defensive coach on two Giants champions.

He's a sure fire HOFer.

I remember well the day that he resigned from the Jets and the tumult that surrounded his hiring.

I wrote on my whiteboard at work in big letters "BELICHICK" and all the NY sports fans were kind of amazed that I was so happy about getting him.

1. As much as SpyGate was overblown and that major twats like Tony Dungy proved themselves to be phonies and opportunists when they saw blood in the water, the fact remains that the Patriots biggest crime was arrogance. How could BB continue to tape when the NFL had issued a memo against it?! Yeah, Mangini is a bastard, but it was arrogant to shove taping up his ass, and BB was reckless in giving a douche like Ratgini an easy button to press.

2. How does Bill trade Dickie Seymour away when his defensive line is thin? We'll all love the number one draft pick when we get him -- I hope -- but the fact is that we will have seen two full seasons of the Pats defense really missing him before that happens. Two years is a lot.

3. Belichick admitted that he was over worked. The two guys he has never won without -- Weis and Crenell -- were available to be re-hired as coordinators and Bill, it seems, didn't talk with them. Instead, he addressed his problem of being over worked by hiring no one.

4. Second half adjustments on offense. BB is either unwilling or unable to make them. They were bad in the second half last year on offense and they have been even worse in the first two weeks of this season.

5. He added no impact players on defense this year. He apparently thought coaching and time in the system would be enough. That is hard to figure.

6. The 4th and 13 call. Sorry, but it was pure arrogance to think that he had a play in the bag that could make up for the long odds against conversion, especially given how that game was going.

7. The 4th and 2 call. I actually like the math there but it seemed arrogant to call such a play when the team was so out of whack just before it. That may be less arrogance than something else.

8. The general sentiment that one gets that BB thinks it's more about coaching and system than players. I can't pinpoint where I get this from, but I do get it.

I know people bristle against this stuff and will say that it was just one game. But my reaction and concern is not just based on the Jets game. True, the Jets game was like going to the dentist and getting a rectal exam at the same time, but these concerns about Bill have been festering since SpyGate, for me.

I tend to agree. I think he still calls plays like he has Bruschi, Seymour, Varbel, and Rodney out there on defense. The offense looks for the big play way too much. I like the dink and dunk that made Brady great better. It helps the defense too.

I think the following needs to happen:

1) Get a real offensive coordinator
2) Go back to a ball control game plan (reign in TB)
3) Blitz and give guys an opportunity to succeed on defense.

He's a sure fire HOFer.

1. I really couldn't careless about spygate.
2. When you or anyone else talks about the best linemen in the league, no one mentions Seymour anymore, do they? I think they traded him at the right time and got the best value for him, he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire in Oakland. Do you really think they win the game yesterday or any other game with Richard Seymour on the team? I don't...the guy is and was never going to record double digit sacks in a season and I can't remember the last time he pressured the QB. I don't think he would make that much of a difference.
3. Agree with you here, even yesterdays game the playcalling was uninspired and just downright awful. I don't get why we didnt even hear a peep that the Pats were interested in the former coordinators.
4. They were controlling and moving the ball effectively on offense in the first half yesterday, im not sure why they bothered making any adjustments. Brady kept forcing the ball downfield to Moss for some reason...either way it was ugly...

The rest I don't feel like answering but if you think Belichick is the reason this team lost yesterday, or is a 'problem' for the Patriots, I think you're wrong. He has confidence in his team and players, which is why I think your number 8 is completely wrong. Sounds to me like you've just bought into all the ESPN propoganda and BS the trolls around here always spew.

Sky am falling.

Predictable reaction.

Any time anyone comments negatively after a loss, you get the usual "you're panicking" reaction.

The fact is that MANY if not all of the points I made have nothing to do with yesterday and have been concerns of mine (and others, I daresay) for quite some time.

But whatever, TG, if it makes you feel better to belittle legitimate concerns about the HC with the standard "what me worry" type response, have at it.

1. I really couldn't careless about spygate.
2. When you or anyone else talks about the best linemen in the league, no one mentions Seymour anymore, do they? I think they traded him at the right time and got the best value for him, he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire in Oakland. Do you really think they win the game yesterday or any other game with Richard Seymour on the team? I don't...the guy is and was never going to record double digit sacks in a season and I can't remember the last time he pressured the QB. I don't think he would make that much of a difference.
3. Agree with you here, even yesterdays game the playcalling was uninspired and just downright awful. I don't get why we didnt even hear a peep that the Pats were interested in the former coordinators.
4. They were controlling and moving the ball effectively on offense in the first half yesterday, im not sure why they bothered making any adjustments. Brady kept forcing the ball downfield to Moss for some reason...either way it was ugly...

The rest I don't feel like answering but if you think Belichick is the reason this team lost yesterday, or is a 'problem' for the Patriots, I think you're wrong. He has confidence in his team and players, which is why I think your number 8 is completely wrong. Sounds to me like you've just bought into all the ESPN propoganda and BS the trolls around here always spew.

As I wrote, I love Bill and am glad we have him.

But there is an aspect of his overall approach that I do think is a problem.

And I don't care about SpyGate, either, but there is one take away that remains relevant: What he did was arrogant.

He's a sure fire HOFer.

2. How does Bill trade Dickie Seymour away when his defensive line is thin? We'll all love the number one draft pick when we get him -- I hope -- but the fact is that we will have seen two full seasons of the Pats defense really missing him before that happens. Two years is a lot. - If we didn't trade Seymour, we might win one more playoff again last year (doubtful) and right now we would be in a slightly worse situation and Seymour would be off getting more money at Oakland anyway. We just didn't have the money to keep him and Wilfork.

3. Belichick admitted that he was over worked. The two guys he has never won without -- Weis and Crenell -- were available to be re-hired as coordinators and Bill, it seems, didn't talk with them. Instead, he addressed his problem of being over worked by hiring no one. - Kind of agree, i would have loved Romeo back

5. He added no impact players on defense this year. He apparently thought coaching and time in the system would be enough. That is hard to figure. - And who was available? The 40 year old Taylor? Gerrard Warren has really showed more than i expected and two sacks from him was the closest to an 'impact player' we had this morning. The point of this Defence to become younger and quick, if we still had Bodden, it's a solid D

7. The 4th and 2 call. I actually like the math there but it seemed arrogant to call such a play when the team was so out of whack just before it. That may be less arrogance than something else. - Meh, if Faulk catches it clean and falls forward, he is a genius again. The D couldn't handle Manning.

A lot of the problems seems to be Brady's decision making IMO

A lot of the problems seems to be Brady's decision making IMO

The 2007 season seems to have killed the legendary decision-making of both BB and TB. Before that season it never even occurred to me that one of them would fall short in a big moment, as they were always so clutch in what they were doing. 2006 was a great example, as BB/TB almost took a group of high school receivers to the SB.

The post-2006 offense is the most talented offense Brady has ever played with, and yet his ability to get the most out of his teammates seems to have declined (excluding the 2007 circus).

Gameplanning and decision-making in general has been a huge problem for the Pats, roughly beginning in 2007. Although the team had an amazing run that year, the inability to adjust once teams adjusted to them has left NE with major problems ever since. I'm not sure what needs to be done in order for this team, TB, and BB to return to the glory days.

I agree with the concerns and apply many to TB as well. I love both guys and am happy they are Patriots, but they've certainly lost that aura of invincibility that surrounded them for years. I hope something clicks with them and we turn this around, because TB and BB are just too good and it would be a shame for them to finish their careers with multiple seasons of disappointing (and downright awful) performances.

As I wrote, I love Bill and am glad we have him.

But there is an aspect of his overall approach that I do think is a problem.
in my opinion the problem is not the approach, it has been and always be the same...the problem is the lack of 4 LB's that can play...you give him that and we forget about all this other stuff

And I don't care about SpyGate, either, but there is one take away that remains relevant: What he did was arrogant.
you seem to forget the Draft Pick...that is all I care about from that..the loss of a 1st round pick was huge and effected the whole draft

all the great coaches are arrogant SOB's, if they are not then they never make it to the NFL, never mind as a HC in the NFL

Arrogance is not the reason for no DC, no OC, no GM - again in my opinion that is stubbornness by Bill and the copycat league taking all his guys before teh replacements have grown into the position

8. The general sentiment that one gets that BB thinks it's more about coaching and system than players. I can't pinpoint where I get this from, but I do get it

2) This was a no-brainer. Seymour wasn't coming back. The decision was, a top 10 pick in a cost capped draft vs. one year of Seymour. How can anyone question this move?

I've seen people erroneously say that NE could have brought him back if they really wanted to, but that is painting a different picture than reality. Brady, Mankins, Bodden and Wilfork all needed (and deserved) big money deals over Seymour. And with two guys who were UFA in that list, it was likely the franchise tag wouldn't be available for BigSey.

Seymour wasn't exactly a great locker room guy and he never totally bought into what BB was selling, which is a big deal for such a young team. Plus he'd been battling with injury issues for 4 years.

On top of all of that, NE actually has some pretty good depth on the DL. They could use a stud, but you aren't giving the boys up front enough credit. It isn't like BB knew Warren would be out for this year. Even so, the DL is more than good enough if the offense does their job.

3) I would have liked to see RAC back myself. Perhaps they did approach them, we don't know for sure. Personally, I think this issue is overblown on defense, though I think O'Brien needs to step up his game.

4) I can't explain yesterday, but last year it was all talent related, not coaching. I'm not willing to buy that the great adjustments made earlier in the decade were all RAC and Charlie. Hell, RAC and Charlie were here in 2002 and that team didn't exactly blow people away in 2nd halves.

5) This is ridiculous. The team has specifically targetted defense in the draft and the youth movement is obvious. Who should they have gotten, Peppers at $84mm? No F'ing way. This is a young, fast, aggressive defense that will get better over time. Have we forgotten how to be patient and let kids develop?

7) There was nothing arrogant about it. NE showed no ability to stop Indy on defense and they only needed to go 2 yards. The odds were significaltly tilted towards going for it, despite the public outcry. The problem with it was play calling on 3rd and 4th downs.

8) I can't explain why you'd have an erroneous impresion. :shrug:

Throwing my .02 in... and hoping I don't get creamed...

Do I think BB is arrogant? Yes!

Do I think that is the problem? No

Look, shit happens... in the NFL, as in life.

The Pats looked horrible against a division opponent, who is the current media darling. So? The Colts looked horrible last week against the AFCS current media darling. Then we storm back and lay a big ass-whoopin on the Giants.

After that Texans debacle, I had serious questions about our team. I posted them here. Even so, I believe we still will win the division, as we have the last several years, and will continue to believe until someone takes it away from us.

Same goes for Pats. Are other teams in the AFCE getting better, perhaps shaping up to challenge for the division? Maybe.

But until they actually DO it...

SSDD

The Pats looked horrible against a division opponent, who is the current media darling. So? The Colts looked horrible last week against the AFCS current media darling. Then we storm back and lay a big ass-whoopin on the Giants.

After that Texans debacle, I had serious questions about our team. I posted them here. Even so, I believe we still will win the division, as we have the last several years, and will continue to believe until someone takes it away from us.

Same goes for Pats. Are other teams in the AFCE getting better, perhaps shaping up to challenge for the division? Maybe.

SSDD

I think the biggest difference here is that the Colts went to the SB last year, while the Patriots were embarrassed and sent home early.

Unlike Indy's week one game, NE's performance against the Jets represented a continuing trend that plagued the team last year. Basically, everything that sank the team yesterday (forcing to Moss, bad playcalling, poor adjustments, etc.) were all major deficiencies last season.

To see your team come out and mail in an awful performance like that is one thing, but to see them do so in the same inept way they did all of 2009? That is both disappointing and aggravating. We all figured Indy would probably bounce back and contend, but the Pats are a different story. I'm not writing them off, it certainly is a talented and capable team. But when the same ineffective team from 2009 takes the field in a big divisional match-up in 2010, it's time for concern.

I think the following needs to happen:

1) Get a real offensive coordinator
2) Go back to a ball control game plan (reign in TB)
3) Blitz and give guys an opportunity to succeed on defense.

I haven't read anything in this thread beyond the 2nd post. Perhaps ego plays a slight roll in it but if it is, it's on Kraft as well because I can't imagine any businessman in his right mind would let his billion-dollar business be steered by the ego of another man whom you employ. So unless they are completely aligned here, I'm not completely buying it.

That being said, to point #1, it's pretty obvious they've determined that the league-wide pillaging of their coordinators is a detriment to the year-to-year growth of the on-field program. Is this the right approach? Not sure. But I also don't blame them for taking steps.

To #2, they have a decent RB corps on paper but not an overly effective one. Add in the sub-100% Welker who I imagine they don't necessarily want to see touch the ball 10+ times a game yet, and that's not good.

To #3 - they did yesterday and were exploited with endless screen's and dumps to LdT. It's almost no-win because they have a guy like TBC who can rush the passer but doesn't really excel in other areas so you live and die with him on every snap.

To be honest, I'm more concerned with what I saw from Brady than most other areas of the team. A lot of young guys with a lot of room between their current play and they're ceiling. I'm still willing to throw Brady into that group by virtue of his injury but it's a bit alarming nevertheless.

I think the Jets were more prepared/hyped, and perhaps the Pats got caught sleeping a bit (?).

Sanchez and company have been hyped by the media, and I think they have bought into it and are running on adrenaline. Plus, I think LdT and others have a bone to pick, and were playing out their asses to prove a point.

I think *maybe* the Pats took them a bit too lightly... *maybe* Tom and Moss have a pact to get Randy a big payday... I dunno...

But in the end... I STILL believe Pats win the East, and until someone actually takes it from them, will never discount the Pats.

Just sayin.....

SSDD
I don't see why you'd get creamed.

I do disagree and think Bill's arrogance is a much more far reaching problem than you are suggesting.

As to Seymour, and in response to other posts, I think he would have made them better last year. Were they SB champs with him? No. But better is better and having one more very good player on the team last year would have been important. The notion that Seymour was a locker room cancer is overblown. He was a SB champ three times. That's the kind of cancer we should all want on this team.

Back to you, CKA, I can't say it enough. I am not posting about these topics because the Pats lost to the Hated Jets. That DOES suck, but I've had this concern about the Pats for a long time, and I thought the Pats were going to go 8-8 this year BEFORE the year started. Quite respectfully, I don't think you should dismiss my point because it comes on the heals of a Pats loss. I may not be right, but I'm not wrong because I'm saying this on the Monday after a suckass loss.

As to Seymour, and in response to other posts, I think he would have made them better last year. Were they SB champs with him? No. But better is better and having one more very good player on the team last year would have been important. The notion that Seymour was a locker room cancer is overblown. He was a SB champ three times. That's the kind of cancer we should all want on this team.

Back to you, CKA, I can't say it enough. I am not posting about these topics because the Pats lost to the Hated Jets. That DOES suck, but I've had this concern about the Pats for a long time, and I thought the Pats were going to go 8-8 this year BEFORE the year started. Quite respectfully, I don't think you should dismiss my point because it comes on the heals of a Pats loss. I may not be right, but I'm not wrong because I'm saying this on the Monday after a suckass loss.

Ah, yes. Disregard what you don't like so you can continue thinking what you want. Internet discussion at its finest!

There is nothing erroneous about this statement.

Seymour wasn't exactly a great locker room guy and he never totally bought into what BB was selling, which is a big deal for such a young team.

He held out twice and preached "get yours while you can" quietly to anyone who would listen. When you are trying to do a rapid rebuild of the defense isn't that something to consider?

And you also completely pass over the most important part. Why is 1 year of Richard Seymour more critical to team success than 5 years of Wilfork/Mayo/Warren/Mankins?

I don't see why you'd get creamed.

I do disagree and think Bill's arrogance is a much more far reaching problem than you are suggesting.

Not meaning to dismiss your concerns, DS. Just sayin, I don't share them. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't believe the Pats are doomed, and I don't believe the Fins or the Jets are ready to take over the AFCE. Someday, maybe... but I don't believe it yet.

Much like the Jags, Titans, and now Texans have been purported to overtake the Colts in the AFCS before... it hasn't happened yet. We've had some close calls, yes. But until it actually happens, I believe the division is ours....

:shrug:

I will also add.....

If I'm looking at the Pats right now, I see the following:

1) Coach - I'd take BB over Ryan any day of the week

2) Brady > Sanchez

3) Hernandez is a STUD!

Do I see room for improvement? Yes!

Do I see gloom and doom? No!

Do I still look for it to come down to Pats-Colts? Damn straight! :toast:

And I can't wait!

2) This was a no-brainer. Seymour wasn't coming back. The decision was, a top 10 pick in a cost capped draft vs. one year of Seymour. How can anyone question this move?

I've seen people erroneously say that NE could have brought him back if they really wanted to, but that is painting a different picture than reality. Brady, Mankins, Bodden and Wilfork all needed (and deserved) big money deals over Seymour. And with two guys who were UFA in that list, it was likely the franchise tag wouldn't be available for BigSey.

Seymour wasn't exactly a great locker room guy and he never totally bought into what BB was selling, which is a big deal for such a young team. Plus he'd been battling with injury issues for 4 years.

On top of all of that, NE actually has some pretty good depth on the DL. They could use a stud, but you aren't giving the boys up front enough credit. It isn't like BB knew Warren would be out for this year. Even so, the DL is more than good enough if the offense does their job.

3) I would have liked to see RAC back myself. Perhaps they did approach them, we don't know for sure. Personally, I think this issue is overblown on defense, though I think O'Brien needs to step up his game.

4) I can't explain yesterday, but last year it was all talent related, not coaching. I'm not willing to buy that the great adjustments made earlier in the decade were all RAC and Charlie. Hell, RAC and Charlie were here in 2002 and that team didn't exactly blow people away in 2nd halves.

5) This is ridiculous. The team has specifically targetted defense in the draft and the youth movement is obvious. Who should they have gotten, Peppers at $84mm? No F'ing way. This is a young, fast, aggressive defense that will get better over time. Have we forgotten how to be patient and let kids develop?

7) There was nothing arrogant about it. NE showed no ability to stop Indy on defense and they only needed to go 2 yards. The odds were significaltly tilted towards going for it, despite the public outcry. The problem with it was play calling on 3rd and 4th downs.

8) I can't explain why you'd have an erroneous impresion. :shrug:

Spot on Os.:clap:

Back