Is Tom Brady?s money a significant part of his success?

subroc

Interested Observer
Reaction score
Is Tom Brady’s money a significant part of his success?

It is about the money! Is Tom Brady’s money a significant part of his success?

Tom Brady has rarely been among the top paid QBs in the NFL. I am not saying the guy is destitute or he plays for nothing but he takes less than his relative value and has pretty much his entire career. He plays for a great organization and a coach that is arguably among the top that ever coached the game.

My question, how much has his playing for less than his value benefited him and his team’s ability to field a competitive team?

He's a team player and wants to win, takes less in hopes of brings other great players in. Albeit it doesn't always work that way

It is about the money! Is Tom Brady’s money a significant part of his success?

Tom Brady has rarely been among the top paid QBs in the NFL. I am not saying the guy is destitute or he plays for nothing but he takes less than his relative value and has pretty much his entire career. He plays for a great organization and a coach that is arguably among the top that ever coached the game.

My question, how much has his playing for less than his value benefited him and his team’s ability to field a competitive team?

Good Q. But pretty difficult to quantify. My answer is PLENTY.

Maybe German Patriot could design a protocol to make an edtimate.

Cheers, BostonTim

He has been a team player. Always taking cap friendly deals. I respect that s lot more then the FU pay me players. Who has to have break the bank contract s.

Tom could make more but has been paid roughly 10 million a year for his career. Not bad for a 6th round pick.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/earnings/

Yeah this.

Can we stop pretending that Brady's played for so cheap his whole career?

There have been a couple years where he was paid at the top of the league. He's moved money around plenty to help with the cap, but he's never given up a penny that he wouldn't have gotten another way.

It's like saying Peyton Manning "took less money" this year - you know, except he's still getting every penny he signed for.

Where Brady played for cheap are in his rookie contract, because he was a 6th rounder, and this last contract, every last dime of it, however, is fully guaranteed.

Has it contributed? Yeah, probably. I wouldn't go so far as say it was significant, though.

The short answer is, yes, it does help the team even if part of that effect is symbolic. Brady isn't going broke redoing his deals to make them more cap-friendly, but I'd say that if he really wanted to -- he could demand the biggest contract in the history of the league and would certainly get it. I don't believe he gets enough credit for that.

Does Brady take less money than he could? Sure, he does.

However, I believe it is the organization's overall approach to building what I call an "upper middle-class" team with a lot of 2nd round picks as opposed to the usual "rich and poor" or "superstars and scrubs" way many teams try to do it that is even more impactful to our success.

I think this is why the Pats have been criticized many times since the year one BB -- the media pumps up the superstars and we really don't tend to have that many leading many to be confused that our roster isn't all that talented. Wrong.

I believe we win a lot of games because of the quality of those guys from the bottom half of the roster. All of our guys contribute something. Other teams seem to be filled out with a lot of stiffs.

We've got 3 superstars. Brady, Gronk and Edelman. A 2nd, 6th and a 7th rounder. Nobody on D qualifies as a superstar. Maybe Collins will be soon, but you get my point.

The St. Louis Rams have five firsts and a 2nd rounder starting on D and they went 6-10 last year.

The St. Louis Rams have five firsts and a 2nd rounder starting on D and they went 6-10 last year.
If Mayo, Easley and Brown start this year, then the Patriots will have:

Brown, Easley and Chandler Jones up front (3 first round picks)
Hightower, Mayo and Collins at LB (2 firsts and a 2nd)
McCourty at DB (1st round pick)

Looks like a potential for 6 first round picks and one 2nd on the starting defense.

On a side note, you see that Eli wants to be the highest paid QB in the league?

Of course he does, they all do, but will he get the deal from the Giants....

On a side note, you see that Eli wants to be the highest paid QB in the league?

Of course he does, they all do, but will he get the deal from the Giants....
I want to be the boy toy of the stars.... I ain't going to get it but I want.

Let him demand, in fact encourage him to demand high money and hope the Brady BS backfires and the cap goes down. Screw the fiscally crazy teams.

The short answer is, yes, it does help the team even if part of that effect is symbolic. Brady isn't going broke redoing his deals to make them more cap-friendly, but I'd say that if he really wanted to -- he could demand the biggest contract in the history of the league and would certainly get it. I don't believe he gets enough credit for that.

Does Brady take less money than he could? Sure, he does.

However, I believe it is the organization's overall approach to building what I call an "upper middle-class" team with a lot of 2nd round picks as opposed to the usual "rich and poor" or "superstars and scrubs" way many teams try to do it that is even more impactful to our success.

I think this is why the Pats have been criticized many times since the year one BB -- the media pumps up the superstars and we really don't tend to have that many leading many to be confused that our roster isn't all that talented. Wrong.

I believe we win a lot of games because of the quality of those guys from the bottom half of the roster. All of our guys contribute something. Other teams seem to be filled out with a lot of stiffs.

We've got 3 superstars. Brady, Gronk and Edelman. A 2nd, 6th and a 7th rounder. Nobody on D qualifies as a superstar. Maybe Collins will be soon, but you get my point.

This is a good post.

For the most part I agree.

As to Edleman being a superstar...well, not so much.

The Patriots team building philosophy clearly considers depth. Tom Brady sacrificing some money allows the team or helps the team to build quality mid level talent. They don't always succeed, but I believe that is their goal. His sacrifice, of a couple to a handful of mil a year is instrumental in the Patriots team building process and therefore his own success.

Also helps retain their top PS guys to whom they can offer larger contracts so they stay vs. leaving for another team.

The other thing to consider is how you measure the "value" of the contract.

There are really three separate ways to measure if someone is the "highest paid" player.

1. Guaranteed money
  2. Annual Cap hit
  3. "Value" of contract

As Matt Chatham has said numerous times, only #1 really matters because that's the only thing that the player is certain to get.

Far too many players insist on #3 but it is common for those contracts to be back loaded and structured in such a way that the player is highly unlikely to see all that money.

The team is motivated by #2.

TFB+ has seemed to prioritize #1 and is willing to work with the team to help on #2.

IIRC, with regards to #1, he's been pretty high up on the list of all NFL players.

The other thing to consider is how you measure the "value" of the contract.

There are really three separate ways to measure if someone is the "highest paid" player.

1. Guaranteed money
  2. Annual Cap hit
  3. "Value" of contract

As Matt Chatham has said numerous times, only #1 really matters because that's the only thing that the player is certain to get.

Far too many players insist on #3 but it is common for those contracts to be back loaded and structured in such a way that the player is highly unlikely to see all that money.

The team is motivated by #2.

TFB+ has seemed to prioritize #1 and is willing to work with the team to help on #2.

IIRC, with regards to #1, he's been pretty high up on the list of all NFL players.

The word in the op question is "significant". And while the definition question is always there, in general someting is either significant or not. That which is not significant is in other words, insignificant. Tom's approach to money has not been insignificant (re: team success). Ergo it is significant.

quod erat demonstrandum

Cheers, BostonTim

I agree
Strongly disagree. Brady and Gronk are on their own tier, but if you're grouping Edelman with them, then you certainly have to include Hightower, McCourty, Chandler, and Collins. IMO McCourty and Hightower are clearly better players at their respective positions than Edelman is at his.

The St. Louis Rams have five firsts and a 2nd rounder starting on D and they went 6-10 last year.[/QUOTE]

I agree

Strongly disagree. Brady and Gronk are on their own tier, but if you're grouping Edelman with them, then you certainly have to include Hightower, McCourty, Chandler, and Collins. IMO McCourty and Hightower are clearly better players at their respective positions than Edelman is at his.

[/QUOTE]

I guess that all depends on what you consider Edelman's position to be.

If you simply classify him as a WR, then yes, he isn't one of the top WR's in the NFL, compared to all others.

However, if you classify him as a slot WR, then yes, he is one of the best at that particular subset of the WR group.

Also, he's a PR and is most certainly one of the best at that in the NFL.

The word in the op question is "significant". And while the definition question is always there, in general someting is either significant or not. That which is not significant is in other words, insignificant. Tom's approach to money has not been insignificant (re: team success). Ergo it is significant.

quod erat demonstrandum

Cheers, BostonTim

So there is no middle ground between significant and insignificant?

Ok, Roger. Coffee.

Back