Jacoby Brissett

Parrot Paul

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or scuttlebutt about Jacoby Brissett? How is the thumb? Is he practicing? Any speculation about his future with the Patriots? Thoughts?

Does anyone have any information or scuttlebutt about Jacoby Brissett? How is the thumb? Is he practicing? Any speculation about his future with the Patriots? Thoughts?

He's on IR so he can't practice.
He was put on IR as soon as JimmyG got healthy and Brady came back - think of his injury as the "Foxboro Flu". BB created a roster spot by stashing him on IR.
His future depends on him according to my crystal ball.

Been reported in several places that Brissett has been allowed to travel with team to away games.

Been reported in several places that Brissett has been allowed to travel with team to away games.

That right there, if true, speaks to Bill's general impression and future hopes for him. Does it not?

Cheers, BostonTim

Is it pretty much a given that Jimmy G. will not be a Patriot next season...all things being equal and Brady stays healthy and sharp?
Obviously, it's pretty much a given that any time a question begins with, "Is it a given that..." or "Is it obvious that..." that the answer must logically be, "No."

Is it pretty much a given that Jimmy G. will not be a Patriot next season...all things being equal and Brady stays healthy and sharp?

Much depends I think on what they think of Brissett and how quickly he can mature into a starting caliber QB.

I doubt this. JG is the future of the Pats. Brissett could be traded, IMO.

Brissett won't be traded. He is a rookie and would not command anything in a trade at this point. Plus if JG is the future than Brissett would be his back up anyways.

Brissett won't be traded. He is a rookie and would not command anything in a trade at this point. Plus if JG is the future than Brissett would be his back up anyways.
He played ok in emergency duty, he showed heart playing hurt, he has an arm. He has the blessings of Bill Parcells, he has a year in the NFL.

His value is there to the team who wants him because you control him.

You don't control Jimmy G.

Think the early years of Pats with Brady. Big Ben in Pittsburgh. Seattle with Wilson. A cheap QB allows you to spend in other places while he develops into the guy.

Think the early years of Pats with Brady. Big Ben in Pittsburgh. Seattle with Wilson. A cheap QB allows you to spend in other places while he develops into the guy.
But how many QBs that are drafted aren't Tom Brady or Ben ROthlesberger? A cheap newly drafted QB isn't necessarily one that will help you in the long run.

The value of JG comes from watching him play real NFL games.

Why not? Teams do a new deal as part of a trade all the time.
money. You trade for him and his salary will reflect what you gave up. And who says he signs with you? And franchise cost is huge when you can wait a season and pay him plus keep your pick(s)

But how many QBs that are drafted aren't Tom Brady or Ben ROthlesberger? A cheap newly drafted QB isn't necessarily one that will help you in the long run.

The value of JG comes from watching him play real NFL games.
and Jacoby looked fine in 1st half against Houston, was banged up in second half and injured awaiting surgery in Buffalo game.

All while getting Rookie rep as the Pats split really reps between Brady (pre-vacation) and Jimmy (preparing the starter of 1st 4 games)

I say what he did is quite impressive and only few could do it.

Plus having a year under Weiss helped.

Jacoby had a real good pre-season...the thumb got in the way, but it actually gave the Pats the opportunity to allow the injury to heal well...the probability of JB-7 being called with Brady and Jimmy G both healthy was slim and none. It also allowed them to open up a roster slot. The Patriots seem to be in a state of anxious flux...enormously talented...but really shaky. I like JC-7. Under the right coach the kid will flourish...both BB and TB-12 are short-tiimers at this point. They aren't looking all that impressive today in San Fran, but it's nice to see Dion Lewis back and running well.

Jacoby had a real good pre-season...the thumb got in the way, but it actually gave the Pats the opportunity to allow the injury to heal well...the probability of JB-7 being called with Brady and Jimmy G both healthy was slim and none. It also allowed them to open up a roster slot. The Patriots seem to be in a state of anxious flux...enormously talented...but really shaky. I like JC-7. Under the right coach the kid will flourish...both BB and TB-12 are short-tiimers at this point. They aren't looking all that impressive today in San Fran, but it's nice to see Dion Lewis back and running well.

BB and Tom are short timers? What makes you think Bill is?

And would 4 more years for Tom he short term?

He played in the regular season quite a bit. I think he peaked at 'ok'. :coffee:

money. You trade for him and his salary will reflect what you gave up. And who says he signs with you?
I meant a trade-and-sign-long-term deal not trading without a long term contract, but yeah, he wouldn't be cheap like a draft pick. If the goal is an inexpensive QB with a chance at being NFL-quality, then the draft is the way to go, but there are more QB draft picks that become nobodies than become franchise QBs. Plenty of teams would pay franchise QB money to have a franchise QB. Depends on whether they see JG as franchise quality or not, or if they like an upcoming NCAA player better. Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Jamarcus Russell et al. were all highly regarded coming out of college.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

He played in the regular season quite a bit. I think he peaked at 'ok'. :coffee:
Too bad about WIlfork pancaking him. Against the Bills the Pats wouldn't let him throw (or he couldn't throw far/accurately) and Ryan took full advantage by stuffing the run game

My friend was just asking me about this yesterday because he heard some Belichick press conference where he thought that Bill almost sounded like he was ready to move on from Brady. This friend is a knock $hit stirrer so I didn't put much stock into it but did humor him a little bit. I could see a situation where if Brady intends to play for two more seasons after this that it might make more sense to trade Garoppolo and start grooming Brisset. Yes Garoppolo appears to be ready to step in now but it seems like a waste to leave him sitting on the bench for two more seasons. By then, who knows. He might be fed up enough that he doesn't want to stick around anyway.

My friend was just asking me about this yesterday because he heard some Belichick press conference where he thought that Bill almost sounded like he was ready to move on from Brady. This friend is a knock $hit stirrer so I didn't put much stock into it but did humor him a little bit. I could see a situation where if Brady intends to play for two more seasons after this that it might make more sense to trade Garoppolo and start grooming Brisset. Yes Garoppolo appears to be ready to step in now but it seems like a waste to leave him sitting on the bench for two more seasons. By then, who knows. He might be fed up enough that he doesn't want to stick around anyway.

Interesting. Sounds familiar. :coffee:

Too bad about WIlfork pancaking him. Against the Bills the Pats wouldn't let him throw (or he couldn't throw far/accurately) and Ryan took full advantage by stuffing the run game

He wasn't anything great pre-injury.

He was, at best, at some times, 'ok'. :coffee:

Back