Jacoby Brissett

My friend was just asking me about this yesterday because he heard some Belichick press conference where he thought that Bill almost sounded like he was ready to move on from Brady. This friend is a knock $hit stirrer so I didn't put much stock into it but did humor him a little bit. I could see a situation where if Brady intends to play for two more seasons after this that it might make more sense to trade Garoppolo and start grooming Brisset. Yes Garoppolo appears to be ready to step in now but it seems like a waste to leave him sitting on the bench for two more seasons. By then, who knows. He might be fed up enough that he doesn't want to stick around anyway.

Choosing between Garoppolo and Brissett is very easy. It's Garoppolo 10 out of 10 times.

He's not getting traded, and he's not hitting the market.

Belichick's comments were basically 'I evaluate the position regardless of the player', which is, really, what he's always done, and what he should say.

Choosing between Garoppolo and Brissett is very easy. It's Garoppolo 10 out of 10 times.

Belichick's comments were basically 'I evaluate the position regardless of the player', which is, really, what he's always done, and what he should say.

based on what we see as outsiders. I love me some Jimmy G, I admit I have Bishopitis (the backup is dreamy and the greatest ever) but is it possible that Brissett may actually be a better player long term?

based on what we see as outsiders. I love me some Jimmy G, I admit I have Bishopitis (the backup is dreamy and the greatest ever) but is it possible that Brissett may actually be a better player long term?

Or when Rohan Davey set NFL Europe on fire? wuv

Brissett may have looked "ok" playing the start of this season, but how would Jimmie G might have looked if he had to cover for a Brady suspension in his rookie year. I'd have to add the caveat: Brissett played more than ok, for a brand new rookie that hasn't been carrying Brady's clipboard for a year or two as a back-up. Given Brady's continued health and prowess as a QB, it wouldn't surprise me either way whether JG or JB got traded.

That's what I'm trying to say. Even if they think that he will be equal to Garoppolo in a couple years. He's two years younger, you can get max value for Garoppolo and then have an equal replacement in two years when Brady finally decides to retire. Of course that is assuming that Brady plans on playing two more years.

Brissett may have looked "ok" playing the start of this season, but how would Jimmie G might have looked if he had to cover for a Brady suspension in his rookie year. I'd have to add the caveat: Brissett played more than ok, for a brand new rookie that hasn't been carrying Brady's clipboard for a year or two as a back-up. Given Brady's continued health and prowess as a QB, it wouldn't surprise me either way whether JG or JB got traded.
Remember snaps were at a minimum for Brissett because Tom and Jimmy needed to take them to prepare for this season - this was a strange set of circumstances leading into the season.

And I agree, before he was injured Jacoby looked pretty dam good for a rookie QB, only the injury turned him into option QB.

My hope is we trade Jimmy for a truck load of picks and Jacoby is Brady's replacement in 2-3 years.

this would not even be a discussion if it weren't for the already very overplayed Parcells has been grooming him story line.

Would Jimmy G done as well his rookie year?
Apples and oranges at this point based on where they are in their development.

1) Yes
2) This is the apples to oranges part, the thing that's getting lost.

Garoppolo was a high draft pick. The reason he was a high draft pick, is because he had a skill set in place already. You could tell this from watching his tape in college, and from when he first started practicing here.

Brissett is more of a project. That's obvious if you watch his college tape. He's got here-and-there moments, but nowhere near the consistency of Garoppolo.

Look at the gameplan the Patriots ran the first half against the Dolphins, and then look at what they ran for Brissett the rest of the time. One is indistinguishable from a Brady game plan. The other was a lot of 'let's keep it close and get the **** out of Dodge.'

Can Brissett improve? Sure. If he does, will he ever be as good as Garoppolo? Anything's possible, but I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "nope".

Brissett's ceiling is a marginal starter/really-good backup. Garoppolo has 'top-10 in the league' stuff.

I don't care what Bill Parcells says about him. He loved Ryan Tannehill too. :coffee:

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

My hope is we trade Jimmy for a truck load of picks and Jacoby is Brady's replacement in 2-3 years.

If this is the case, you'd better pray that one of those picks is used on a franchise QB.

1) Yes
2) This is the apples to oranges part, the thing that's getting lost.

Garoppolo was a high draft pick. The reason he was a high draft pick, is because he had a skill set in place already. You could tell this from watching his tape in college, and from when he first started practicing here.

Brissett is more of a project. That's obvious if you watch his college tape. He's got here-and-there moments, but nowhere near the consistency of Garoppolo.

Look at the gameplan the Patriots ran the first half against the Dolphins, and then look at what they ran for Brissett the rest of the time. One is indistinguishable from a Brady game plan. The other was a lot of 'let's keep it close and get the **** out of Dodge.'

Can Brissett improve? Sure. If he does, will he ever be as good as Garoppolo? Anything's possible, but I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "nope".

Brissett's ceiling is a marginal starter/really-good backup. Garoppolo has 'top-10 in the league' stuff.

I don't care what Bill Parcells says about him. He loved Ryan Tannehill too. :coffee:

I thought Jimmy G never had a playbook. it was sandlot football so the question was would ha be able to run a NFL offense.

pick 62 >91 a second or a third, both are pretty much old school 1st day picks.

So I was going to use stats to back up my point so I looked at Jimmy G 's rookie year and I forgot the cry for him to replace Tom after the KC game.

That said I think Brissett has more upside than you are giving him. he played half the Houston game hurt and all of the buffalo game with no thumb on his throwing hand. I prefer to over value him and hope someone else does the same and offers up a bunch of picks for him.

I just do not think Jimmy G is willing to wait for Tom to Favre out his career.

I thought Jimmy G never had a playbook. it was sandlot football so the question was would ha be able to run a NFL offense.

pick 62 >91 a second or a third, both are pretty much old school 1st day picks.

So I was going to use stats to back up my point so I looked at Jimmy G 's rookie year and I forgot the cry for him to replace Tom after the KC game.

"Are you planning on re-evaluating the QB position?" *Belichick Death Stare*

That said I think Brissett has more upside than you are giving him. he played half the Houston game hurt and all of the buffalo game with no thumb on his throwing hand.
I'm just saying, even when he wasn't hurt, he wasn't anything special.

I'm not saying with you, but with others, this just smells like 'Training Camp Binky' stuff. Zack Sudfeld, Kembrell Thompkins, Whoever the LB with the hyphen name guy was this year, etc etc.

I prefer to over value him and hope someone else does the same and offers up a bunch of picks for him.

I mean, this makes sense, I guess, and maybe some team will be dumb enough to bite - but

I just do not think Jimmy G is willing to wait for Tom to Favre out his career.

I really hope that isn't true, because I would rather not lose to Garoppolo and the Bills twice a year for the next 10 years.

Garoppolo's legit, and he's going to be a star wherever he ends up, and make that team a contender.

I really hope that place is here - and I sort of get the sense that the Patriots feel the same way. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. :shrug:

JG was picked at the end of the second round, not my definition of a high draft pick. JB was picked in the next round. The difference between pick 62 and 91 is not a whole lot, certainly not enough to say that being picked 62 shows a skill set in place and pick 91 does not show skill sets. A quick peek at a few previous drafts doesn't show me much of a difference in players picked those two positions, but I didn't look at them all.

Tough to compare the first practices of JG and JB. JG got to practice with the ones at times and play a lot in games his first preseason. JB did not as all the quality reps and game time were divided between TB and JB.

Time will tell which QB turns out to be very good (might even be both) but at this point, determining which QB is the better based on draft position isn't a good gauge, nor is their first preseason, for reasons above.

I'm not saying with you, but with others, this just smells like 'Training Camp Binky' stuff. Zack Sudfeld, Kembrell Thompkins, Whoever the LB with the hyphen name guy was this year, etc etc.
I couldn't tell in context. Are you referring to JG or JB?

Either way, evaluating potential players based only on current information is what fans do, as do coaches and front offices for that matter. The sure way is to wait a couple years and then jump on the bandwagon of the few that made it, but it's safer to downplay the hype as there are many more players that don't make it than do. The odds are in the favor of the nay-sayers. Even Max Kellerman will eventually be right in that eventually Tom Brady will be in decline.

Besides, if you didn't have training camp binkies, you couldn't get excited when one of your binkies begins to emerge, like Edelman, Givens, Samuel, Koppen and other mid- and late-round picks (too many to mention).

"Are you planning on re-evaluating the QB position?" *Belichick Death Stare*
I get that a lot

I'm just saying, even when he wasn't hurt, he wasn't anything special.
he was no Bishop but this preseason he kind of got left out due to the suspension, I think he will be serviceable, do his job, at the least

that's what Fanatics do

I mean, this makes sense, I guess, and maybe some team will be dumb enough to bite - but
dream large baby

I really hope that isn't true, because I would rather not lose to Garoppolo and the Bills twice a year for the next 10 years.

Garoppolo's legit, and he's going to be a star wherever he ends up, and make that team a contender.

I really hope that place is here - and I sort of get the sense that the Patriots feel the same way. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. :shrug:
I agree, I wuv Jimmy G in a kind of twisted way but purely professional. I just think we do not know yet about Bisquick to be honest - he may shine

One other thought on a great convo all around. I do think Jimmy has the goods but question if he has the physical to size to play the position. He is a small guy, small frame and may not have the durability. That is my main concern with him. Not sure he can handle the pounding.

Back