Jarrett Stidham Is Turning Heads

Hoyer has experience in the League and has won games. He's capable of winning a small number of games in a pinch with this roster and these coaches.

The assumption that Stidham is as capable, or more capable, than Hoyer of doing that if needed, assumes things not in evidence.

We haven't seen enough of him yet and he has zero experience. He has ZERO time playing with starters and against starters.

Stop straw-manning the argument by talking about how "nothing's a lock". Nobody claimed that. It's a probability game we're talking about here.
and I say the probability is about the same, I have zero faith in Hoyer to be anything but a meeting room buddy to tom to bridge the age gap.

I rather keep a Dorsett to help the two rookie WR's than Hoyer. or an extra DB

If Tom goes down the chances of Stidman being Jacoby Brisett is greater than Hoyer leading you in my opinion.

and Hoyer is?

Hoyer had the Browns at 7-6 and in the hunt for a playoff spot in Cleveland before the Johnny Football experiment.

Hoyer was winning games in Houston before the beginning of the DaShaun Watson era. With a solid running game and defense Hoyer is no worse than Trent Dilfer circa 2000 with the Ravens. He'll play well enough.

Dump Hoyer and make Stidham the backup. Also, give him most of the reps the remaining two preseason games. They've got something here and I'd love to see him against 1st team defenses

This theory probably sums up the feelings of a lot of people. Hoyer is smart and can run the offense and Stidham is the big unknown.

Bill and I (see what I did there) usually like the vets who do what they're told in lieu of the bigger upside, inexperienced guy, but the problem is that Hoyer is so bad at actually throwing a football, late and slow every other time, that he tilts the field the other way every time he comes in. Any idiot can hand off but there needs to be a credible, plausible threat that No. 2 cannot provide no matter how slick he looked against the Lions' Klown Patrol secondary.

Stidham might be erratic, throw a couple of picks, but I'd bet that he'd get more respect right now than Hoyer has managed to earn in a decade.

Hoyer is a great bench guy. He's Tom's buddy, confidante and perfect sidekick. He is good in interviews and always says the right thing......but he is one SHITTY QB with a noodle for an arm. You pray that he never sees the field, because you know what is going to happen. 3 and outs. Guys hanging their heads in embarassment for him.

At least Stidham has a pretty good chance of NOT being shitty. He can get smarter, but Hoyer will never be able to throw any better than he does.

I'm hoping the excellent Jake Bailey/Ryan Allen decision means that Bill is taking some chances on greatness and willing to live with some growing pains, which I applaud.

I think the time has come when Hoyer, sadly, has to go.

And I'll be glad to drive him to the airport. Seldom has a guy had such a long career with such a short amount of talent.

He would make a much better qb coach than a qb...he does seem like he's smart.

Hoyer had the Browns at 7-6 and in the hunt for a playoff spot in Cleveland before the Johnny Football experiment.

Hoyer was winning games in Houston before the beginning of the DaShaun Watson era. With a solid running game and defense Hoyer is no worse than Trent Dilfer circa 2000 with the Ravens. He'll play well enough.

That was his prime. Did you see him play for the 49ers? Absolute trash...

What Hoyer brings to the QB table is reliability and veteran leadership. Is that enough value to trump the more talented and younger Stidham? Time will tell.

That was his prime. Did you see him play for the 49ers? Absolute trash...

don't suppose that had anything to do with what he was surrounded by...did it? The Browns had pieces, including Joe Thomas. What did the Niners have?

What Hoyer brings to the QB table is reliability and veteran leadership. Is that enough value to trump the more talented and younger Stidham? Time will tell.

This is precisely the problem. Brian is reliably below average.

If you can't play you can't lead.

Wasn’t just winning. He was performing well.

This roster is the best he’s been on. He would win way more than lose.

Back to the topic...I'd really like to see Stidham against some starter-quality competition. Doing this against future Dunkin Donuts managers is great and all, it's a step that he can actually perform in some capacity, that he's better than 'just a college guy' (Mallett never passed this test, Gutierrez either).

I know there's a temptation to play the starters in game three, but really, do we need more than one series from Brady? Handoff, Handoff, Handoff, Kick. I think we know what we're getting. Maybe 2 for Edelman, since he hasn't run all month. Ditto Sony.

It's not even an injury concern, really. I want to see what these backups can do against some ones.

Back to the topic...I'd really like to see Stidham against some starter-quality competition. Doing this against future Dunkin Donuts managers is great and all, it's a step that he can actually perform in some capacity, that he's better than 'just a college guy' (Mallett never passed this test, Gutierrez either).

I know there's a temptation to play the starters in game three, but really, do we need more than one series from Brady? Handoff, Handoff, Handoff, Kick. I think we know what we're getting. Maybe 2 for Edelman, since he hasn't run all month. Ditto Sony.

It's not even an injury concern, really. I want to see what these backups can do against some ones.
this is true, no need to play Tom or the boys more than a series, maybe two just to get hit.

Stidham faced pressure vs the Titans on 9 plays: he faced a 5 man blitz 7 times and a 6 man blitz twice. Hoyer only faced 1 5 man blitz while he was playing. Stidham didn't panic and performed well despite the increased pressure. One other point - Stidham coming in at the 1 yd line was very much on purpose, imo. BB was testing him. Tenn blitzed. Stidham didn't panic & found his check down guy so I can't blame the safety on Stidham when the OL didn't perform well. He's always been a cool guy under pressure. Just look back at the Alabama game 2 years ago for proof of his coolness.

I remember watching Hoyer with the Texans have this just outstanding drive........ then he threw a pick. No QB on this roster will replace Brady. Hopefully by December stedman will be good for a game or two if need be. I don’t care how good he looks now. It’s preseason and he’s a rookie. On paper it makes sense to cut hoyer to keep an extra WR. I almost wish they would. But hoyer may be better than we know for stedmans development. He’s seen a lot, knows how McDaniels wants things done, and has been a starter in this league. Personality wise he seems to be a good patriot and sometimes BB values that over other things. I’m sure he sees the writing on the wall though, be it this year or next.

Back