Jets Game Thread

From FO. Excellent read with tips on how to beat the Pats

Game of the Week

New York Jets 23 at New England Patriots 30

Type: 4QC/GWD
Largest Fourth-Quarter Deficit: 4 (20-16)
Head Coach: Bill Belichick (46-71 at 4QC and 61-72 overall 4QC/GWD record)
Quarterback: Tom Brady (36-29 at 4QC and 48-31 overall 4QC/GWD record)
Coming into the week, the Jets and Patriots were the only two offenses in the NFL that had yet to have a 4QC/GWD opportunity this season. That changed on Sunday in what was a very competitive game that lived up to the hype for a change. Rex Ryan's big mouth has been replaced by a more reserved Todd Bowles, but the results were still the same: outcoached by Bill Belichick.
Seriously, name another team who would scoff at offensive balance and attack a defense with 61 dropbacks and five handoffs. True, Dion Lewis was out, but even if he had played, the only difference probably would have been more passes to him and fewer to Brandon LaFell, who dropped six balls in his season debut. Yes, a few were barely above the ground and a couple more were defensed, but that was a brutal game for the wide receiver. The Patriots respected the Jets' No. 1 run defense so much that they handed the ball off five times for 1 net yard. Tom Brady finished as the leading rusher with 15 yards on four carries.

New England approached this game in a very similar fashion to the way it played Baltimore and Seattle in the playoffs last year. Against the Ravens, the Patriots picked on a depleted secondary with 51 passes and seven handoffs for 14 yards. Against Seattle, New England eventually abandoned the run (19 carries for 60 yards) and continued to dink and dunk, avoiding the best cornerback on the field (Richard Sherman) and shredding the weakest link (Tharold Simon). On Sunday, the Patriots mostly avoided Darrelle Revis and anything deep outside the numbers, but what the Jets did a strong job of was tackling. The Patriots averaged a season-low 3.4 YAC per completion.
The Jets did a lot of things well, but they were not going to match New England's bold strategy of relentlessly attacking the defense's weakness. For New England this season, that is the secondary. You have to attack it, but the Jets still handed the ball off 24 times for 60 yards because that's what their offense is about. Even though Chris Ivory was not 100 percent, he still got 17 carries for 41 yards. Ryan Fitzpatrick did well to not throw an interception, but he really should have been allowed to throw more than 19 targets to Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall if the Jets were going to score enough points to win this one.
Still the Jets led 17-16 and were driving to start the fourth quarter. On third-and-7, Fitzpatrick's back-shoulder pass to Marshall was dropped on what would have been a touchdown. I wonder if NFL Films got Fitzpatrick's reaction to this one. He was dumbfounded over a much more difficult Marshall touchdown caught in Week 6 against Washington. This one was a big miss, and once the field goal went through to put the Jets up 20-16, the New England comeback felt inevitable.
People always say "you have to score touchdowns and be aggressive to beat the Patriots in New England" and they are not lying. I have the proof. Teams that attempt a fourth-quarter field goal in Foxboro when the game is within three points either way are now 1-13 since 2001. Only the 2008 Jets won, but that was a little different since their 34-yard field goal came in overtime.

You have to be aggressive in New England. Adding a field goal to stretch your lead out to four to six points is just opening yourself up to allowing a game-winning touchdown drive. Kicking a field goal in a tied game leaves Brady an opportunity to beat you with a touchdown. (Isn't that right, Jason Garrett and Rob Ryan?) You need to turn that 3-point lead into a 10-point lead. You need to break a tie with a touchdown to keep a real advantage. Some of these games are not directly applicable to this, because the 2005 Bills actually built a 16-7 lead before losing 21-16 in ESPN's hilariously announced (see this parody) Tedy Bruschi return game. Teams such as the 2004 Colts (Mike Vanderjagt) and 2011 Ravens (Billy Cundiff) missed late field goals that would have forced overtime. However, you could always point to Edgerrin James fumbling on first down at the 1-yard line with 3:43 left and Lee Evans not hanging onto that ball in the end zone as to why those teams were still losing in the final seconds.
You have to execute, because you expect the Patriots will when given their chance. The Jets still almost made the stop, thanks to a 7-yard loss by LeGarrette Blount on a rare run. Maybe that's why the Patriots never tried to run in this one. On third-and-17, Brady threw his longest pass of the day, a 26-yarder, and Julian Edelman was there for a sliding catch. Danny Amendola finished the drive with a tough 8-yard touchdown catch with 7:16 left.
Fitzpatrick is 1-5 at 4QC opportunities against the Patriots, with four interceptions on those drives. On third-and-7, he threw a deep ball to Devin Smith that was not even close and the Jets punted with 5:32 left. That was not high-percentage offense. The Patriots stuck to their bold pass-happy strategy in a situation where almost any team would have tried running the ball. But when you are running nothing but high-percentage plays, why not keep throwing? This was refreshing to see in the NFL. Can you imagine another team throwing incomplete passes on first and second down outside of the two-minute warning and in long field goal range? The Patriots did not care, because the Jets weren't able to stop the trio of Edelman, Amendola and Rob Gronkowski.
Brady continued to throw after the two-minute warning, setting up a second-and-3 at the New York 22. For some reason, Bowles was still holding onto his three timeouts. He defended his strategy on Monday, and had some valid points about the earlier plays not presenting the opportunity to call timeout, but he should have used one before second-and-3. Two stopped gains there still would have left Bowles with about 65 seconds and one timeout, down 26-20. Is that really better than having about 1:40 and no timeouts? If Bowles was so worried the Patriots would convert on second down to "waste" his timeout, does he not realize by not calling one that a conversion there would have likely left the Jets with 25 seconds to score a touchdown? That's basically hopeless. If Bowles' hope was for a second-down incompletion, then he called one of the worst defensive plays imaginable. How do you rush seven and leave Gronkowski completely wide open for a walk-in touchdown? And that's just a little reminder of why the Patriots have owned this division for 15 years.
Sure, the Jets managed a 55-yard field goal and actually recovered an onside kick, but only 14 seconds remained. A short pass over the middle was risky given the time, and sure enough the Jets botched the spike with one second left. Marshall was not set, resulting in a game-ending 10-second runoff. A Hail Mary attempt from the New England 37 would have been a great ending to this game, but as is usually the case, the game ended with a frustrated opponent leaving the Patriots' field.
Since 2001, teams are 1-47 (.021) at 4QC opportunities in New England.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2015/clutch-encounters-week-7#comment-1007244

If you didn't click the link, it's authored by renowned Brady hater/PManning worshiper Kacsmar. Even so, I agree with a lot of what he said above although I disagree with him that Brady is a plug-and-play QB.

Some comments by him are very good and explain his dislike (although his dislike is softening) for Brady.

Re: Clutch Encounters: Week 7

by Scott Kacsmar :: Wed, 10/28/2015 - 2:22am
I've made it very well known I am not a fan of watching a dink-and-dunk offense, and this season is probably the most dink-and-dunk across the league. I prefer a more vertical attack instead of watching QBs load up on screens, picks & rubs and refusing to hold the ball beyond 2.5 seconds. That's just a style preference for me. If defenses can't stop you from doing what you're doing, then you should keep doing what you do best instead of trying to be something you're not. The Patriots get this better than anyone.
I also think there's a big difference between deciding how much credit to give a QB in his style of offense compared to analyzing the overall success of said offense. It's like how a run-and-shoot offense puts up results against so many defenses, but that doesn't mean Graham Harrell should have won the Heisman or gone higher in the draft than Michael Crabtree. I think NE's offense is basically plug-and-play except for Gronkowski. There's no good replacement for that guy, and when he's healthy, that makes this whole thing work a lot better than it should. They can have success being one-dimensional and with a passing game that doesn't even use the whole field. I'm not sure why coaches haven't been able to stop it lately, but they're on a good roll now. We'll see how long it continues, because even the 2007 offense was slowed down eventually. The first 10 games versus the last nine (including playoffs) were dramatically different that year.

Re: Clutch Encounters: Week 7

by Scott Kacsmar :: Wed, 10/28/2015 - 7:19pm
Why don't teams run the QB sneak as much as NE? From the shotgun-spread to 2-TE sets, the Patriots have continuously been ahead of the curve offensively from the rest of the NFL this century.
I include Brady as plug-and-play, because you don't need a dominant athlete to run this offense. You need a smart QB with good short-to-medium accuracy, so that already eliminates the likes of Josh McCown, Kaepernick, Newton, Manuel, Fitzpatrick, RG3, Stafford, etc. I think a Kirk Cousins could be coached up to play in this offense, because he gets rid of the ball quickly. Belichick would just have to coach him to be patient to cut down the picks.
And like I said, Gronkowski makes this thing lethal, and there is hardly anyone in the NFL close to him. Travis Kelce reminds me of him most. But beyond that, the Patriots have basically cornered the market on the perfect slot receiver for their offense. I knew Julian Edelman could replace Wes Welker with no problem. Danny Amendola could probably replace Edelman if he has to. The key is durability. Welker had it and Edelman has absorbed some huge hits pretty well. That 3rd down in the Super Bowl, the most important play besides you know what, was a huge hit by Kam Chancellor and he still held onto the ball. You don't always get that around the league. Percy Harvin has more talent than all of those dudes, but he'd probably be on IR by Week 5 if the Patriots used him the way they use the slot WR. He wouldn't be a better fit.
If you're a team like Dallas, you're not going to build your offense around Cole Beasley and an aging Jason Witten. You're going to use Dez Bryant the most, despite the fact he will see more double teams, more snaps against #1 CBs and require deeper targets that are harder for the QB to complete. That probably does sound inefficient, but that's how the game has worked for decades from Hutson to Alworth to Rice. That's also probably why we see the spread and short passing game taking over the college game, but we're not seeing a lot of great QBs coming into the NFL. Simplifying the reads and shortening the throws makes the QB's job easier, and the wide receiver talent is still getting developed because those guys are getting so many opportunities to show their skills now.
Most NFL teams are still coached to believe in stopping the run, defending the deep ball and the best receivers play on the outside. That's what the game was for decades. But the Patriots have completely turned that around and beat you from the inside out with barely even testing the deep throws and sometimes abandoning the run entirely. They'll gladly substitute a short pass for a run, and it will probably gain more yards on average anyway. It's not a sudden change either. They embarrassed the Steelers in the 2002 opener with this style of offense. They did it to Mike Tomlin twice; first with the 2006 Vikings (MNF) and again with the dominant 2007 offense. And he's still really never learned how to defend this offense outside of the 2011 game when Pittsburgh's best defense was its ball-control offense. And then of course they have the flexibility to turn into a running team when needed, like in almost any matchup with the Colts in the last dozen years.
Some teams are too stubborn to expand upon "we do what we do" every week while the Patriots put in the work to have a unique gameplan specific to that opponent. When you compare this 15-year run by the Patriots to the other teams, no one could make a good argument that Brady gives them more of an edge than any other QB out there does for his team. No one could argue the defense has been the best in the league given the consistency of teams like PIT and BAL. You might be able to say they've had the best kickers with Vinatieri and Gostkowski, but that's a small part of the picture.
The real gulf between the Patriots and the rest of the NFL is what Belichick and his coaches do every year. Maybe part of it is his willingness to bend or break the rules, but he gives his team a greater advantage than any other coach. The standard is the standard for Tomlin, obviously. Andy Reid still doesn't know how to manage a clock. Marvin Lewis can't win a Wild Card game. Rex Ryan can't coach offense. Sean Payton can't coach defense. Mike McCarthy is somewhere contemplating a field goal right now. Tony Dungy is wondering why he doesn't punt and John Fox expects a kneeldown. Jeff Fisher is figuring out how to finish 8-8 this year. One Harbaugh is already gone and the other has to figure out how to replace what's been lost since his one SB win. Pete Carroll has come up short on the doorstep of greatness twice now (USC and Seattle). Tom Coughlin has gotten the best of Belichick a few times, but he's more likely to miss the playoffs than anything.
IF that's the best of the rest, then this run starts to make more sense.
(Well that was longer than expected, but free bonus content for everyone)

From FO. Excellent read with tips on how to beat the Pats

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/clutch-encounters/2015/clutch-encounters-week-7#comment-1007244

If you didn't click the link, it's authored by renowned Brady hater/PManning worshiper Kacsmar. Even so, I agree with a lot of what he said above although I disagree with him that Brady is a plug-and-play QB.

Some comments by him are very good and explain his dislike (although his dislike is softening) for Brady.

That was a great summary IMO. Brady has been the one constant with so many changing parts. But I do think it is fair to say or to wonder what his career would have been like apart from Bill. But as Kacsmar said, it is a hypo so we will never know. The thing with Brady that is different from the other iconic QBs is that he has had this success with a defensive minded HC which is so rare. Montana had the west coast system just waiting for him with the offensive master mind Walsh who also made sure Joe had elite talent surrounding him given there was no cap or FA. Brady has amassed his stats and rings with so many no name players that he turned into superstars. Someone had said recently that Brady will be the only Qb to go into the hall of fame with multiple rings without the benefit of an iconic receiver for the majority of his career. To me, that is what is most impressive.

Jets AT Oakland this Sunday. Could be a let down game for Jets. Oakland is tough this year and the black hole is no joke. Well, it is a joke but you know what I mean.

...(although his dislike is softening) for Brady.
Not sure I buy that at all. To begin with, attached to his Plug ansd play comment is the explanation that they don't need Brady, just some intelligent viable stiff. Preposterously wrong and ridiculously disrespectful. Here in 2015, in the middle of a glourious season by a man too old to play like this, Kakasmear is STILL calling him a system QB. Bleep him. And any sense of softening that you might detect I attribute simply to the standard scoundrel's application of the survival instinct. While his hate hasn't changed. he loathes looking stupid so he feigns "softening". Just my take. And the crap i take from the article overwhelms my ability to look for his supposed "insightful" stuff.

Cheers, BostonTim

Not sure I buy that at all. To begin with, attached to his Plug ansd play comment is the explanation that they don't need Brady, just some intelligent viable stiff. Preposterously wrong and ridiculously disrespectful. Here in 2015, in the middle of a glourious season by a man too old to play like this, Kakasmear is STILL calling him a system QB. Bleep him. And any sense of softening that you might detect I attribute simply to the standard scoundrel's application of the survival instinct. While his hate hasn't changed. he loathes looking stupid so he feigns "softening". Just my take. And the crap i take from the article overwhelms my ability to look for his supposed "insightful" stuff.

Cheers, BostonTim

This.

And with both Manning and Luck on the skids, what else can Smear write about and get clicks?

Not going back to check but the D&C show just said Jest officials were sweeping the locker room before the game for electronic surveillance.

In yur heads!

Back