Josh McDaniels Intends To Stay Until BB Retires

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Per Florio

Conventional wisdom seemed to point to Josh McDaniels seeking greener pastures this offseason. But apparently that might not be the case.

The NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel has released its annual preliminary list of recommended candidates to fill head coaching vacancies, and that list did not include the New England Patriots offensive coordinator, according to ProFootballTalk’s Mike Florio.

Here’s the reason, per Florio: “As one source explained it, McDaniels was left (off) the list because the thinking is that he’s intent on staying at New England until coach Bill Belichick retires, succeeding Belichick as the team’s head coach.”

This report runs counter to a September report that McDaniels plans to leave the Patriots in 2017 to pursue a head coaching job. The 40-year-old has one ill-fated head coaching stint under his belt, going 11-17 with the Denver Broncos from 2009 to 2010, but he certainly has the pedigree to land another NFL job.

Of course, McDaniels’ exclusion from this preliminary list doesn’t guarantee anything. Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is on the list as a recommended candidate, but he only would be available if he decided to leave the Wolverines next season, which seems highly unlikely.

The panel’s list did include Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, whose name hasn’t popped up much in head coach rumors but currently is in his fifth year as the head of New England’s D. Several other NFL coordinators, including Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, also were on the list.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/11/josh-mcdani...ots-until-bill-belichick-retires-report-says/

I know for a fact that McD and his wife really like the area and both are very happy here. They live in Medfield.

McDaniels should already have resume in at Tenn and GB.

Something made up in the heads of some panel.

Could be but I know last year when he was mentioned for some positions I heard privately that he wasn't going anywhere.

I could see BB stepping down as coach but remaining GM and McDaniels taking over as HC. I don't think the Pats would hand it all over to Joshy Boy. He proved already once that it was too much for him. I still think in a hypothetical situation where Elway (or a GM in general) was the GM and McDaniels was just the coach, he would have been much more successful. I think he bit off far more than he could chew.

I envision Caserio staying on as GM when BB calls it quits.

BB is only 64 so I can see him doing this 6 more years easily.

I could see BB stepping down as coach but remaining GM and McDaniels taking over as HC. I don't think the Pats would hand it all over to Joshy Boy. He proved already once that it was too much for him. I still think in a hypothetical situation where Elway (or a GM in general) was the GM and McDaniels was just the coach, he would have been much more successful. I think he bit off far more than he could chew.

McD has never been a GM only a HC and a coordinator.

Something made up in the heads of some panel.

You know what kind of inside info they might have? If you know that they don't have any, perhaps you share your info source with us. Or is "Something made up in the heads of some panel", just something made up in your head?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

He picked the players that he wanted though...I think that is what he meant.

Brain Xanders was the GM...

He shopped for the groceries?

Cheers

This is correct. JM was not the "GM" but he was the GM!

Brian...this autospell thing. Ugh...:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

You know what kind of inside info they might have? If you know that they don't have any, perhaps you share your info source with us. Or is "Something made up in the heads of some panel", just something made up in your head?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

He shopped for the groceries?

Cheers

I think picking Tebow in the draft added to his pressure in Denver.

Brian...this autospell thing. Ugh...:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I think picking Tebow in the draft added to his pressure in Denver.

It sure didn't make things easier. And it's not like Tebow fell in the Broncos' lap. JM was wheeling and dealing the entire 1st rnd, then got em. Goofy.

McDaniels should already have resume in at Tenn and GB.

I disagree.

If I were in his shoes and loved my current situation with my family and was part of something historic with the trajectory to be the next HC then I'd rather stay here working on something great than head there and wallow in mediocrity or less.

I'm not so sure that would happen for two reasons.

First, I don't see BB stepping down until he's ready to leave football all together.

Second, he resigned as the HC of the NYJ because he didn't want to be in a similar situation. So would he put Josh in that position?

First, I don't see BB stepping down until he's ready to leave football all together.

Second, he resigned as the HC of the NYJ because he didn't want to be in a similar situation. So would he put Josh in that position?

Valid points for sure.

Tuna only made him HC of the NYJ to keep him from the NEP. I assume the vengeful Tuna was not a pleasant man to deal with so the Resignation as HC of the NYJ is a different beast than stepping down as HC of the NEP while remaining el Pres of the NEP. Maybe Caserio and Josh want him as El Pres.

He proved already once that it was too much for him. I think he bit off far more than he could chew.
Well, how would your team have been without D Thomas. I understand the Pats were poised to pick him but Josh jumped them. Plus he traded away your ace QB Cutler for a first round pick and drafted Thomas. Not a huge JMD fan, but you Donkey fans have blinders on:

Donk fan

He picked the players that he wanted though...I think that is what he meant.

Brain Xanders was the GM...

Most HCs have a say on the players. He was never GM which is a whole different ball game. I think he has probably grown quite a bit since his Donks days and would not be averse to see what he would build for the Pats given he knows our team the best.

Back