LaConfora - Pats Window is Wide Open to Contend for Championships

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ts-all-you-want-but-theyre-not-going-anywhere

LaConfora details much of what we all have been saying about how well positioned the Pats are this season and the years to come. I do wonder if Brady does do another extension this off-season. This is worth the read just for his take on the positions of other teams in the AFC and what they are facing this off-season.

The New England Patriots do not have a Super Bowl window. When you've been to a decade's worth of AFC Championship Games with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick already, and the rest of the teams in your division perennially struggle to reach .500, and you have no free-agent concerns and literally your entire roster under contract for 2016 (most at a bargain), windows do not apply.
A portal, perhaps. Or a specious veranda. Maybe a large, ornate garage door.

But a window? Uh, no way.

Not when a team is this well constructed, with seemingly all of its key components still in their prime, and Brady coming off yet another MVP-caliber season and there are no concerns about having to apply the franchise tag or lose anyone to the open market. Not when the Patriots enter 2016 with ample cap room, and not a single player in the NFL's top 50 in terms of cash to be earned next season (let that sit in for a moment). Not when reserve running back LeGarrette Blount (who missed the second half of the season due to injury) and in-season waiver claim Akiem Hicks are literally the top two free agents the Patriots have on their roster. Not when extending rising defensive stars Jamie Collins andDont'a Hightower -- oh, and that Brady guy -- amount to the offseason priorities, leaving New England to explore at least one flashy trade or signing while continuing to maneuver the draft board this spring.

Not when Brady's biggest adversary, Peyton Manning, is holding off Father Time for another two weeks with retirement quite possibly lurking just after the Super Bowl. Not when the Broncos team the Patriots just lost to are facing a litany of probing questions about the future of its roster and payroll, from Manning on down. Not when the Patriots' top competition within the AFC East, the Jets, don't currently have an NFL quarterback on the roster (signing Ryan Fitzpatrick is a must) and are facing some potentially quirky negotiations with the best player on their roster (pending free agent Muhammad Wilkerson).

Not when the Bengals can't win a playoff game and have upwards to 10 key players set to potentially hit the open market. Not when the Steelers will have to do their annual salary cap gymnastics to keep the core together. Not when the Ravens are bereft of skill players while Joe Flacco rehabs a torn knee (and Steve Smith is rehabbing a torn Achilles and, oh yeah, Terrell Suggs as well).
Not when the AFC South is still, well, part of the AFC, and the division's "best team," Houston, is still looking for a quarterback. Not with the Colts praying that a bunch of "kumbayas" from their owner and a few million spent to keep a frayed coach/general manager relationship in tact will dig that franchise out of the depths. Not when the owners of the Chargers and Raiders, two teams perhaps positioned to unseat the Broncos, are fixated on moving their franchises and not when Alex Smith is still the quarterback of theChiefs.

Not in an era in the NFL when the divide between the "haves" and the "have nots" looks as deep as ever and with a soft underbelly of a third to a half of the league either seemingly not trying to get better or lacking the acumen to actually do so. Not at a time when the supply of quarterbacks -- and legit coaching prospects -- can't seem to come close to meeting the demand.

Sorry, but the salad days of the Patriots are not over. New England will be very much in the Lombardi Trophy discussion again next season, and, barring serious injury to Brady, well beyond. To the legion of football fans who hate them, you'll still have to deal with them for years to come. They aren't going away. There won't be any drop-off. In fact, their 2016 roster will quite likely be better than this year's model.
Consider that, not a single player on the 2016 roster as of now is set to make $10M. And Brady isn't even the highest-paid player on the team (Brady ranks 63rd, yes, 63rd in the NFL in 2016 cash at $9M, while safety Devin McCourty will be the highest-paid Pat next season making a few hundred thousand more than his quarterback). Newsflash: When arguably the greatest quarterback of all-time is playing for relative peanuts, it strikes a strong tone in the locker room, creates a "team-first" culture and allows for a ton of cap space to be allocated to other positions and to keep guys like Collins and Hightower around.

No one on the team has a cap hit above $15M and with a few simple moves (parting withJerod Mayo for instance) the Patriots will have $12M in cap space to play with. The looming Hightower extension will end up significantly lowering his current $7.8M cap hit as well, creating even more space.
The Patriots don't have to worry about losing anyone of significance, and they expect to make one acquisition of significance through free agency or trade. This is by no means an aging team with a host of expiring contracts. That's anything but the case.
Oh, and as for Mr. Brady. He has two years remaining on his current deal, worth a total of $19M (four quarterbacks are currently scheduled to make at least that much in 2016 alone). Both sides are very open to extending his contract, he remains at the top of his craft, and his year-round dedication to health, throwing, his mechanics and working with his teammates has Brady, who turns 39 in August, continuing to tell confidants he believes he can play until age 45.

Surely, his skills will wane at some point, though we have yet to see a hint of that yet. And undoubtedly Brady would be willing to continue to work with the Patriots on a deal that keeps them positioned to succeed overall. His current deal included just $24M guaranteed for injury and averages of just $9M a year, and continuing on anything close to that structure for 2-3 additional years beyond 2017 (what he is currently signed through) would keep New England insulated from any major cap damage should Brady decline.

The last Brady blockbuster occurred within days of the start of the regular season. This one very well could, too.
That, more than anything else, should have the rest of the AFC very worried about the 2016 New England Patriots. And the 2017 Patriots. And the 2018 Patriots. I'll start betting against them not competing for Super Bowls when you start showing me someone else winning the AFC East, and when Brady stops being the best quarterback in his conference, if not the world, and stops being the biggest bargain perhaps in the history of professional sports.

Then, come talk to me about a window. Right now, I'd point you in the direction of the trophy-room additions the Patriots might still need to build on to their dynastic mansion. It has plenty of windows, from ceiling to floor.

At times, I forget that last year's Pats were the youngest team ever to win a SB, and this year's version was almost as young. The defense is chock full of talent to boot. This will not be the 08 Pats on the back end and needing a big revamp.

The Planet discussed much of this on Monday so thumbs up to us.

The haters won't like reading that and that makes me smile.

Yeah, baby. Can't wait .....bring it on.

as good as BB is at team building all it takes is 1 injury to the right person and that window slams shut.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point, but 1 injury? I don't think so. Pats had almost 2 dozen on IR this year, lost almost a league high in man games lost to injury and were in the AFCC. They were injury riddled in 2013 as well, still in the AFCC. Pats lost TB and went 11-5 with a backup QB I don't believe is as talented as the one they have now. In either 03 or 04, they were high up there in injuries and won the SB. If you mean timing, like having a hobbled Gronk in SB46, I get that.

as good as BB is at team building all it takes is 1 injury to the right person and that window slams shut.

If there has every been ANY team in the history of the NFL that this scenario does not apply to its the Pats. :rolleyes:

If there has every been ANY team in the history of the NFL that this scenario does not apply to its the Pats. :rolleyes:

seriously you all know who i mean there is 1 player who makes this team go without him the wins stop quick. but keep deluding yourselves that the pats cam overcome anything. this window is only open as long as brady is healthy, this is the nfl health can change in an instant.

i know i know but 2008, best supporting cast ever.

seriously you all know who i mean there is 1 player who makes this team go without him the wins stop quick. but keep deluding yourselves that the pats cam overcome anything. this window is only open as long as brady is healthy, this is the nfl health can change in an instant.

i know i know but 2008, best supporting cast ever.

Are you always so doom and gloom? Sure anything can happen to Brady. But he has been one of the most durable QBs in the league and takes unbelievable care of his body as we learned this past year from his work with Guerro and his diet. Hopefully the Oline gets back healthy and gets a top notch coach to help keep Brady upright.

I also think that Jimmy (a second round pick) is volumes better than Matt Cassell (7th round pick with zero starts in college).

its not so much doom and gloom just a little sick of the assumption that there is always next year by us pats fans.

you can see it all over this board the pats blew an opportunity vs a crippled qb for a shot at a lombardi and most on this board are like oh well at least it didn't hurt like the giants losses did, or oh well we would have lost to carolina anyway, its shocking to me that any fan could think that way. it speaks to a mindset that they expect the pats will contend every year and that this loss was no big deal.

and really somebody is going to use draft position to help define who is a better qb really a pats fan is going to go there

so thats my disgust with an article on the mythical window

its not so much doom and gloom just a little sick of the assumption that there is always next year by us pats fans.

Speaking only for myself, ultimately after the sadness/anger of losing in the playoffs subsides for me, I will always think this way as long as BB is running things. I mean, if they had Marvin Lewis or Jeff Fisher or someone else like that running things, that's different. I'd be way way way more angry right now because I'd feel that Sunday was the Pats only chance in a million to make the SB.

BB is more important than Brady in my opinion...Brady is very important however.

As long as BB is here, the Pats have a chance. Even if Brady is gone. When BB leaves, then it'll get interesting.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Speaking only for myself, ultimately after the sadness/anger of losing in the playoffs subsides for me, I will always think this way as long as BB is running things. I mean, if they had Marvin Lewis or Jeff Fisher or someone else like that running things, that's different. I'd be way way way more angry right now because I'd feel that Sunday was the Pats only chance in a million to make the SB.

Totally agree...

For me and I suspect it's the same for a lot of you, I was surprisingly OK after losing on Sunday. I thought I'd be a lot worse after losing an AFCCG against the Broncos who I despise.

But I think it's the get that the best is yet to come for this group of players really softened the blow. We have a genuine top calibre defense at last and we should see very few changes there unlike last season. Butler had become better than any body could have dreamed. The DBs are certainly not the reason we're not going to the SB. Many of us feared the worst when Revis and Browner left.

We picked up Sheard and Hicks who were brilliant. Brown seems like he'll be a real star at DT. Our linebackers? Superb.

And our offense will be stellar again. A healthy O line with a good pick up in FA, Lewis back, Develin back, all the receivers healthy, we'll be very good indeed.

With those injuries we had this season, the O line woes, and yet we came within an incomplete pass to tie the game in the AFCCG away in Denver??!! How can you not be excited about the future??

you can see it all over this board the pats blew an opportunity vs a crippled qb for a shot at a lombardi and most on this board are like oh well at least it didn't hurt like the giants losses did, or oh well we would have lost to carolina anyway, its shocking to me that any fan could think that way. it speaks to a mindset that they expect the pats will contend every year and that this loss was no big deal.

and really somebody is going to use draft position to help define who is a better qb really a pats fan is going to go there

Or maybe we can just admit it was not our year? ManninHGH was far from crippled and he did not beat us, the number one defense did and it took them the final play to do it. You seem to be the one with the inflated expectations. I think all of us understand after last year just how hard it is to win the Super Bowl and how hard it is to get to one when you are on the road for the AFCCG. I don't think anyone is happy but we have a sense of perspective too.

If you actually read the article I posted you would see there is real factual reason to believe the Pats will contend next season based on the cap, their current personnel and no big name FAs that need to be signed unlike last year when we lost the secondary and Vereen. In this era of the cap and FA there is no other team that has managed those things better than the Pats. We have 16 years of history to bank on.

Just speaking for myself personally, the Pats do not have to win another football game in my lifetime. 4 SB wins with 6 trips to the big game the last 15 years is a lifetime of memories that I thought I would never have. I desperately want them to get title 5 and 6 but the feeling of angst and wondering about next year is over for me. They have done everything I could have imagined and more. Sure, there have been some that have slipped away like 2006 and the Giants Super Bowls but even our wins were close and could have gone the other way - all 4 of them - so everything has probably evened out from my point of view. Brady and Bill are the GOATs and can only add to it at this point so as much as Sunday's loss did stink, I am over it and already looking forward to 2016.

Just speaking for myself personally, the Pats do not have to win another football game in my lifetime. 4 SB wins with 6 trips to the big game the last 15 years is a lifetime of memories that I thought I would never have. I desperately want them to get title 5 and 6 but the feeling of angst and wondering about next year is over for me. They have done everything I could have imagined and more. Sure, there have been some that have slipped away like 2006 and the Giants Super Bowls but even our wins were close and could have gone the other way - all 4 of them - so everything has probably evened out from my point of view. Brady and Bill are the GOATs and can only add to it at this point so as much as Sunday's loss did stink, I am over it and already looking forward to 2016.

^^^
This.

:bow:

I don't understand how you can be a fan and not believe this team has a great start on SB runs for the next few years. Look around the league at the competition. Most teams have no viable QB, and even those teams that do have roster issues, owner issues, coaching issues, and salary cap issues.

I agree with Mazz on this.

But I do have a question don't all teams fan base assume there's always next year?
So what exactly should our collective reaction have been?
Should we have all run to the nearest ledge, or gotten pissed over something we have no control over, Scream, throw things?
Some of us are glass half full people and some of us are glass have empty:shrug_n:

~Dee~

I agree with Mazz on this.

But I do have a question don't all teams fan base assume there's always next year?
So what exactly should our collective reaction have been?
Should we have all run to the nearest ledge, or gotten pissed over something we have no control over, Scream, throw things?
Some of us are glass half full people and some of us are glass have empty:shrug_n:

~Dee~

True, but I think we can agree that there are some team fanbases out there where, were they honest with themselves, that sentiment is misplaced.

Like, I can imagine a Browns forum:

Poster 1: "Well, there's always next year."

Poster 2: ROFL

Poster 3: ROFL

Poster 4: "Are you ****ing high?"

Poster 5: ROFL

Poster 6: "**** YOU!"

True, but I think we can agree that there are some team fanbases out there where, were they honest with themselves, that sentiment is misplaced.

Like, I can imagine a Browns forum:

Poster 1: "Well, there's always next year."

Poster 2: ROFL

Poster 3: ROFL

Poster 4: "Are you ****ing high?"

Poster 5: ROFL

Poster 6: "**** YOU!"

The whole time I was writing that I was thinking about my brother the Jets fan lol

~Dee~

Back