LaConfora - Pats Window is Wide Open to Contend for Championships

Them too, except were it the Jests, the post would be written in crayon, illegible, and full of people calling the OP a ***. :coffee:

Well he does set his sights a bit lower. I believe last year he just wanted a winning record:shrug_n:

~Dee~

its not so much doom and gloom just a little sick of the assumption that there is always next year by us pats fans.

you can see it all over this board the pats blew an opportunity vs a crippled qb for a shot at a lombardi and most on this board are like oh well at least it didn't hurt like the giants losses did, or oh well we would have lost to carolina anyway, its shocking to me that any fan could think that way. it speaks to a mindset that they expect the pats will contend every year and that this loss was no big deal.

and really somebody is going to use draft position to help define who is a better qb really a pats fan is going to go there

so thats my disgust with an article on the mythical window

Maybe you need a little more time to process your disappointment over what we all just watched Sunday before getting pumped for next season.

Everybody has their own process, You shouldn't get overly upset because other folks are choosing a more positive outlook. Maybe it helps them deal.

I feel like 2007 taught me a lesson and that is that it isn't really the end of the world when you don't go to and win a Super Bowl even if it feels that way for a while. I just can't stay pissed off for as long as I used to. Others can gnash their teeth if that feels better.

Still, we have been in the hunt almost every year no matter what rocks there are in the road. It shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of the fanbase and others think that we'll be good next year and, perhaps, great.

I know I do. I don't feel like we just shot our wad in any way, shape or form. We just have work to do and the 2nd most interesting sport in this country is the NFL off-season.

The Monday after each Patriots Super Bowl win I had to get up, go to work, pay bills, deal with problems and opportunities, and live life.

The day after each one of the Patriots Super Bowls losses I had to do the same thing.

So I don't get hugely wrapped up in the success or failure.

I was a Pats fan when 2-14 was an expected outcome, and 8-8 was a good year. Making the Playoffs and losing in the first round was cause for hope.

To me, going to the AFCCG every damn year is pretty good. I don't get too upset about not going to the SB. In fact my main disappointment is I don't really feel like watching the SB this year.

The Monday after each Patriots Super Bowl win I had to get up, go to work, pay bills, deal with problems and opportunities, and live life.

The day after each one of the Patriots Super Bowls losses I had to do the same thing.

So I don't get hugely wrapped up in the success or failure.

I was a Pats fan when 2-14 was an expected outcome, and 8-8 was a good year. Making the Playoffs and losing in the first round was cause for hope.

To me, going to the AFCCG every damn year is pretty good. I don't get too upset about not going to the SB. In fact my main disappointment is I don't really feel like watching the SB this year.

Great take. In the end it is just football. Entertainment. I love the Pats, always will whether they are champs or 2-14.

I do have to say I was never a big fan of the off-season until Belichick. I really enjoy how be crafts his team every year, the moves he makes that are unexpected, the no one's that he somehow turns into contributors or even stars. It has always amazed me on some level how humble he keeps the franchise despite the historic winning. All you have to do is listen to the Broncos and Panthers and you would think they were the ones with the 4 titles. I probably appreciate that the most about the Belichick era. The Do Your Job mentality of letting your play on the field speak for you. Probably will never see it again in any sport ...

In fact my main disappointment is I don't really feel like watching the SB this year.

my initial reaction was that I wasn't going to. I didn't watch the NFCCG (apparently didn't really miss anything). Now, I've turned the corner and am very much looking forward to it. Hoping Kuechly sends ManniHGH into retirement ala Lavar Arrington/Troy Aikman-

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BynBZNiE9EA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STILL one of my favorite plays of all time.

my initial reaction was that I wasn't going to. I didn't watch the NFCCG (apparently didn't really miss anything). Now, I've turned the corner and am very much looking forward to it. Hoping Kuechly sends ManniHGH into retirement ala Lavar Arrington/Troy Aikman-

<IFRAME height=315 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BynBZNiE9EA" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

STILL one of my favorite plays of all time.

That is a good one. But I am hoping more for Lawrence Taylor putting Theismann into retirement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7acc6qwcmQ

Well he does set his sights a bit lower. I believe last year he just wanted a winning record:shrug_n:

~Dee~

So he's happy, right?

He's your brother and of course you love him. Must be hard at times. :wave:

Cheers, BostonTim

i guess i just can not explain myself good enough - last try

its the viewpoint that the playoffs are just a given that gets under my skin, i watched this team suck for way to long to just blithely brush off this loss as no big deal because we have a "window" or we would have lost anyway, or at least this does not hurt as much as loosing the sb or there is always next year. it speaks to a mindset that i just don't get.

winning in the nfl is a house of cards

After watching this team go 11-5 with Matt Cassel at the helm, I have to respectfully disagree.

4 of the 6 teams in the AFC playoff pool were in the playoffs last year

4 of the 6 NFC teams were as well

4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams from this year were in the playoffs in 2013

3 of the 6 NFC playoff teams were in the playoffs in 2013

4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams from this year were in the playoffs in 2012

4 of the 6 NFC playoff teams from this year were in the playoffs in 2012

5 of the 6 AFC playoff teams from this year were in the playoffs in 2011

The AFC sees very little variance year to year from a playoff perspective. In the NFC you can pretty much pencil the Bitch Pigeons and the Packers in every year.

i guess i just can not explain myself good enough - last try

its the viewpoint that the playoffs are just a given that gets under my skin, i watched this team suck for way to long to just blithely brush off this loss as no big deal because we have a "window" or we would have lost anyway, or at least this does not hurt as much as loosing the sb or there is always next year. it speaks to a mindset that i just don't get.

As long as BB is here...the Pats have a chance. His worst season was his first. Almost every year they have a chance. This is why so many people hate the Pats.

Tom Brady and the 'F--k You' Crew: In Praise of the Patriots

From 'Deflategate' to court dates, New England took on the NFL in 2015 – and nearly won. Super Bowl 50 isn't the same without them

By Steve Greenberg - Rolling Stone

A friend of mine – let's call him Stu – wanted to see the New England Patriots lose in Denver on Sunday. Stu is not a professional sports journalist, you see, so he can root openly and wantonly against any team as he pleases. And in much the same way as he roots against tyrannical regimes, Wall Street wolves, big-game poachers, schoolyard bullies, insidious diseases and the New York Yankees, Stu roots against the Belipricks (his term, not mine).
<aside class="related-article"> Sidebar

The Persecution of Patriots Nation »
</aside> Matter of fact, he can't recall wanting to see the shit-eating Patriots (um, that's Stu again) win a football game since they were fresh-faced, two-touchdown underdogs against the St. Louis Rams 14 Super Bowls ago.
But there's one thing about the Patriots' 20-18 loss in Denver that's slowly, oddly and unmistakably beginning to piss me off. I mean piss Stu off! And it's the fact that they lost. They're finished. They're vanquished, however temporarily. Super Bowl 50 will go on without them. And as such, it won't be damn near as good as it could've been.
In the NFL, only the Patriots **– OK, the Dallas Cowboys a little bit – could pull a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't, rain-on-my-parade move like this. I mean rain-on-Stu's-parade.
The Super Bowl would have a legitimate villain if the Carolina Panthers were matched up against the Patriots, and villains are always good. Peyton Manning and the Broncos may not be your cup of tea, but they're pathetic excuses for villains. Meanwhile, nobody hates the upstart Panthers save for the stick-up-the-ass few who resent Cam Newton's joyful antics. Man, those people are assholes. At least that's what Stu tells me.
You know what? This has gone on long enough. **** Stu. Not only because he doesn't exist, but because his disdain for the Patriots is misguided and stupid. Yeah, they cheat and their fans are the worst and they always win, but that endless winning is probably why we should all respect the hell out of them. It's why I'm feeling a gnawing, nauseating respect for them as I write this.
What the Belipricks did during the 2015 season, and what they've done now for a decade and a half, is incredible.
They've made it to six Super Bowls and won four. They've been to 10 AFC championship games, including the last five. They've won the AFC East 13 times in the last 15 seasons, including seven division titles in a row, tied for the longest streak in NFL history.
They're the Yankees, only much better. They're the Cowboys, only actually good. They're the San Antonio Spurs, only far more villainous. They're Alabama football or an unholy amalgam of Duke and Kentucky basketball, only…well, it's kind of the same.
And let's talk about 2015. Let's talk about Brady being 38, about dealing with "Deflategate" and its aftermath, about taking on Roger Goodell and so many fans like Stu, about Rex Ryan's move to Buffalo and his desire to topple New England once and for all (news flash: The Bills went 0-2 against the Pats this year), about the whole rest of the league gunning for the defending champs. Let's talk about starting 10-0, and a 13th-consecutive season with double-digit Ws. Let's talk about the Pats ending the Kansas City Chiefs' 11-game winning streak in the divisional playoffs, then coming within a two-point conversion of taking the AFC's Number One seed to overtime on their turf.
Or let's not talk about any of it, at least not in detail. Because what would be the point, anyway? It's just a given: The Pats are always dialed up to dominate. Next year, there will be countless reasons why they shouldn't be great again. Brady is old as the hills. There's no 1,000-yard rusher in sight. The wide receivers are little shits. The Broncos, Chiefs and New York Jets all appear to have better defenses. But will any of it matter?
It won't. At least not until it does. When it does happen – when this run of Patriots excellence ends – it'll shock the senses. It'll come, too, with a heavy dose of letdown. Football won't be as fun. The constant tension that dissipates with the death of an all-time Goliath will hurt the game. Don't believe it? You just watch.

Until then, we have Super Bowl 50. Maybe it's Manning's "last rodeo." Perhaps the Panthers win and make it to 18-1. Will it have nearly the impact on history that a victory over the Belipricks would've had? Absolutely not. It'll just kind of…be. Not for Panthers fans (or for Broncos fans if things go the other way), but for the rest of us. Because we know how this thing works.
It's the Pats' world. The rest of us are just living in it. Begrudgingly, but still…

We really are a golden for the NFL. Every Patriots game gets record numbers watching on TV and record numbers simply posting about their hatred for us on social media. The offseason kept the NFL firmly in the spotlight because of the NFL's retarded science.

Every utterance from BB, every gesture from TFB gets gobbled up by the press and spread throughout the interwebz.

They can't get enough of us. :coffee:

Great and funny article, Chevs. Thanks.

Here's another one that uses tweets from haters to hit on everything the Patriots were up against this year. Extreme sarcasm and pithy throughout.

Mail-it-in Friday: I miss having the Patriots in the Super Bowl

By Sid Saraf
By Sid Saraf <time class="byline-timestamp"> Jan 29, 2016 at 11:00a ET </time>

Awww, man.

Super Bowl 50 is set. It will be the Denver Broncos and the Carolina Panthers battling for the Lombardi Trophy when the game kicks off on Feb. 7. And that's all well and good. It will be an entertaining game and millions upon millions of people will enjoy watching what unfolds.

However, don't you feel an emptiness inside? It's there for me. Now that I've had a few days to digest the New England Patriots' AFC Championship Game loss to the Broncos, I must admit: I miss them.

Now, let's be clear. I'm no Patriots fan. Watching one team enjoy the type of consistent success that the Patriots have had since the Brady/Belichick era started has been nauseating. However, if I'm being honest, most of that nausea comes from the hubris that New England fans have displayed ever since the Lombardi Trophies started rolling in.

But once Peyton Manning took that final knee last Sunday, I had two thoughts. One was the standard shock that comes every time the Patriots lose a game. Yes, they're that good that I'm genuinely surprised when they don't win. The second was: "Man, it was kind of fun hating on the Patriots."

Doesn't everybody love a villain? Doesn't having a team to hate make football that much more fun? The Patriots are the figure of the NFL that 31 fan bases love to loathe. I asked my cousin the day before Championship Sunday to tell me which teams he was rooting for. His quote? "As long as the Patriots lose, I'm good."

He got his wish. And now, they're gone until next season. No more Belichick press conferences. No more photos of Tom and Gisele. No more wicked pissahs. No more Gronk. No more Deflategate. No more Mark Wahlberg.

So, with a tear in my eye, I can only say:
iP6jwoI.gif

Alrighty, now I turn it over to the people, so they can call me a moron for feeling sympathy for the depaaaahted.

DO YOU MISS THE PATRIOTS IN THE SUPER BOWL?

Christian,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Hell no. WTF is wrong with you?
— Christian Boddie (@CBOD14) January 27, 2016

Off to a solid start. Nothing's wrong with me. The Patriots are always appointment television and I'm not even a fan. It's a bit obsessive, for sure.

Christian,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Add in their smug arrogant media & it's a wrap. Never seen a fan base & team this despised. Yes this includes Dallas

Oh, you're not done? Fine. Yes, the Boston media is on the homer side, but that's the way New England is. I lived there for three years and it's a very insular community, despite Patriots Fandom encompassing like four states.

But Patriots fans -- while an affable and fun bunch -- haven't done themselves any favors over the years. They've been tough to listen to.

Christian,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Mark Wahlberg. Nuff said.

OK, that does it. You can say whatever you want, but I won't have you besmirch the man who brought us Dirk Diggler and Wahlburgers.

Danna,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX # foxmailbag This is a joke question right? #RaiderNation #itwasafumble #snowjob
— Danna (@oakraiderfan2) January 27, 2016

Still stinging over the Tuck Rule, eh? Can't say that I blame you. There are some things that you never get over.

Salty,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX why? No one wants to see what new way to cheat they can come up with this year.
— Salty in Santa Clara (@SaltySurPirr) January 27, 2016

Are you kidding me? I'm dying to see what they -- allegedly -- come up with next. The Patriots are like the Steve Jobs of bending the rules. So innovative!

Tina,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Not. In. The. Least. #FoxMailbag
— Tina in Seattle (@girlinseattle) January 27, 2016

The periods really drive the point home. Don't. You. Think.(?)

Colten,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX you know it's been a successful season when the Patriots don't make it to the Super Bowl! #COLTSNATION #FoxMailbag
— Colten (@coltencassidy33) January 27, 2016

Sigh, a Colts person. Didn't you people do enough last year? I had never heard or cared about delfated footballs until your organization started all this crap.

I've had to listen to a year's worth of horrible Deflategate jokes thanks to you.

Vic,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX It's those HARD footballs ;)
— Vic Scherer (@daytrend) January 27, 2016

See? Horrible Deflategate jokes. And what's with the winking face? You being sexy with me?

Daniel,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX *crickets
— Daniel Sotelo (@RedCards11) January 27, 2016

What's with the asterisk?

Dylan,
Hahahahahhahahahaha. No. https://t.co/g3XVpbEcWO
— Dylan (@cracka_23) January 27, 2016

Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up.

Brett,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Like I miss having diarrhea!
— Brett Catron (@bcatron107) January 27, 2016

You shouldn't be so flippant about that. There's nothing like a good dose of diarrhea to jump start a weight loss program. It gets the first five pounds of water weight out like a charm.

Ginger,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Miss the Patriots? That's like missing a root canal or hemorrhoids.
— Ginger Jones (@pdseesters) January 27, 2016

Having had neither, I can't make a fair comparison. I've had diarrhea though . . .

Karen,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX GOD no!!! It's kind of refreshing to see another team! Besides, Brady's slow ass lost that game for them!
— Karen (@ksadair) January 28, 2016

Slow ass? Many things have been said about Tom Brady's buttocks, but slow isn't one of them. Now, his legs? Sure, those are pretty slow. Maybe he should ditch the Uggs. (Ugh, an Uggs joke . . . how hacky)

Stacy,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX I am so sad, # Brady and the # Patriots deserved to be there they worked so hard but so many injuries!#GoPatriots
— Stacy Sics (@Patriotswoman12) January 27, 2016

That's true. The Patriots wouldn't have lost a game if their core had stayed intact throughout the season. Or, at worst, they would have reached the playoffs with a 15-1 record and would have beaten the Broncos at Foxborough.

Jud,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX best thing ever for football, to have these cheating cry babies sitting at home! adios losers!
— Jud Artson (@ArtsonJud) January 27, 2016

I would argue against that. Adding the Patriots to any game adds intrigue and attracts eyes.

Fred,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Wanted to see #douchebag Goodell hand trophy 2 #TB12 .But the fix was in. Refs ensured it. Now a weak team in #SB50
— Fred Welch (@fjw09080) January 27, 2016

Wait, what? How did the refs cost the Patriots a chance at the Super Bowl? Should I grab my tin-foil hat?

But in regards to your other point, I imagine Mr. Goodell breathed a big sigh of relief when that clock struck zero in Denver.

Tom,
Nah. I'm good... �� https://t.co/w3Asbyt3XA
— Tom Gialanella (@mrtommygman) January 27, 2016

Brevity. I love it.

Michael,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX yes, I wanted the best QBs this year going at it. This is the most lopsided QB matchup since Grossman vs Manning.
— Michael Hart (@Michael_D_Hart) January 27, 2016

While I agree the Manning vs. Grossman matchup was terrible, this year isn't that bad. Manning, even though he's running on fumes, is still a legend and he was able to help dispatch a team as dangerous as the Patriots.

And it shouldn't be freezing in San Francisco on Super Bowl Sunday, so he'll have that working for him.

Randy,
@RealSidSaraf @NFLonFOX Miss the Patriots? Hahahaha. Broncos-Panthers. Perfect.
— Randy Walker (@randywalker034) January 27, 2016

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

Maureen,
@RealSidSaraf I don't miss them but I do miss not having the @Seahawks in the Super Bowl.I also miss not having @katyperry in the Super Bowl
— Maureen (@m0t0ri0us) January 27, 2016

I miss the left shark. That's all I miss.

Alrighty, folks, enjoy the Pro Bowl! Hahahahahaha.

See you next week!

So he's happy, right?

He's your brother and of course you love him. Must be hard at times. :wave:

Cheers, BostonTim

Well happy is subjective but back in the day we'd commiserate together lol:shrug_n:
He's my baby brother I love him warts and all.
Now my eldest brother is a Giants fan. He and I never got along I'll leave it at that ..... alright he's still my brother an I do love him anyway

~Dee~

I actually watch ESPN and idk it seems to be no coverage of the SB. Just some segments. Now last year was around the clock. Hmmmmmm? The villain we do play well (yoda voice)

The Rolling Stone article was hilarious. The Pats are the best villain. And I have a feeling the haters would have been so much happier had we lost the SB vs the conf. champ. So now they miss us? How about that? lol.

I would also add that the NFL and the Networks are fearing another blow out with the Donks in it vs the high powered Panthers. They know they are guaranteed to get a great game with the Pats in it - win or lose - but the Broncos? Good heavens ...

Back