ladies of the planet

Firstly, congrats rom the other side of the pond. Now you have the "fun" of organising the Wedding. :hug:

Get what YOU want, not what you think you should get. The now Mrs Cat got a gold ring, with 3 pink sapphires and 2 diamonds sitting *in* the ring, rather than on top of it. That cost me about $400 4 years ago (exchange rates don't entirely work, because of the cost of living, but it's about that).

Oh, and as a wedding gift, following on from Hawg's post, can I suggest getting money and then spending it on something really, really awesome? We got people to give us money for a trip to the States (that's a whole different thread), because we haven't been before and we have most stuff we want.

gomezcat said:
Firstly, congrats rom the other side of the pond. Now you have the "fun" of organising the Wedding. :hug:

Get what YOU want, not what you think you should get. The now Mrs Cat got a gold ring, with 3 pink sapphires and 2 diamonds sitting *in* the ring, rather than on top of it. That cost me about $400 4 years ago (exchange rates don't entirely work, because of the cost of living, but it's about that).

Oh I already know the venue the dress colors the menu and the time of year lol. I just have a big family so it's gonna be an expensive one!

gomezcat said:
Oh, and as a wedding gift, following on from Hawg's post, can I suggest getting money and then spending it on something really, really awesome? We got people to give us money for a trip to the States (that's a whole different thread), because we haven't been before and we have most stuff we want.

like a house and a trip to greece? That's something we both want lol

gomezcat said:
Er, ye-essss. Greece is, er, rather interesting at the moment (but I suspect you already know that from various relatives)...

Yes. It's having it's issues but I hope to make it back one day. I haven't been there since I was 5

Interesting points here. I've taken it all in lol I'm actually thinking that the amethyst might be too big for me for an everyday ring. I have to try it on. I did pick out the perfect little princess cut diamond ring for me when we were looking about a month ago. 2 months pay would really be too much ring for me nor would I want to wear anything worth that much. I don't trust myself lol
He had suggested getting a diamond and putting purple stones with it if I want purple in it but I'm not sure how that would look.

Thank you for all your input I'm now more confused lol :p

I really hope I didn't contribute to your confusion. My only intention was that you be as happy as possible and I have seen and heard a few war stories over the years from brides that admitted later that they "never really liked" their ring even though they said otherwise when they recieved it so as not to look like a beeyotch. This is one of those things a woman doesn't want to have any regrets over or the husband will also have regrets.

I just want you to be sure is all. You deserve a beautiful ring.

:thumb:

Notice that she's posting about this right after Steak & BJ Day.

:coffee:

Hawg73 said:
I really hope I didn't contribute to your confusion. My only intention was that you be as happy as possible and I have seen and heard a few war stories over the years from brides that admitted later that they "never really liked" their ring even though they said otherwise when they recieved it so as not to look like a beeyotch. This is one of those things a woman doesn't want to have any regrets over or the husband will also have regrets.

I just want you to be sure is all. You deserve a beautiful ring.

:thumb:

Oh I had the ring I hated lol it was ugly and I never got to be a part of picking it out. Thankfully he was a douche so I didn't have to keep it :) I read already looking up different stones and their meaning when he first brought up the subject. I like things to be different and me. Purple is me and it sparkles like crazy but again it might be too big. I was just kidding about the confusion I get what you are saying and I will most definitely end up with the perfect ring for me no matter what color or size :)

TBL, I like that you're not a material girl. That speaks well of you. I'd say get what makes you happy, and I love the comment about saving for a house instead.
You have your priorities correct, says the guy who's been happily married for 25 years, to a woman who could care less about anything but being happy together.

It is pretty silly, but also amazing that just about everybody that gets hitched arrives at the conclusion that it is a symbol, but a necessary one.

It's not silly, it's the result of a very successful marketing/advertising plan.

A description of how DeBeers "invented" the need for the diamond engagement ring and their infamous "a Diamond is forever" slogan is here

TBL, I like that you're not a material girl. That speaks well of you. I'd say get what makes you happy, and I love the comment about saving for a house instead.
You have your priorities correct, says the guy who's been happily married for 25 years, to a woman who could care less about anything but being happy together.

This is correct, true love/happiness is something many of those stone size checking compadres do not have. They are/were materialistic and are too busy comparing lifestyles to enjoy the one they are living as they ignore their spouse at gatherings. Been seeing a lot of this lately...

I say this because I know several people who went affordable and later replaced the ring with a new one and a second intimate vow exchange. I thought it was cool how every so often 1 couple would take a cruise and renew their vows. They still hold hands after 30+ years and the original ring is still a keepsake but the new replacement ring means even more to them.

I will say Hawg makes a great point to the get the ring now side of the story. Some women worry what others think but the little bit I know about you, I see someone who cares not what others think so please realize you do what you want, how you want to. Let them talk about the unconventional ring if they must.. The love you two share is obvious. If you are both not to sentimental, There will be time enough to get a different ring/setting later if you want... A life time of time and when it isn't an either or type of deal you can replace, add to and re-set it.

Congrats young lady and he is one heck of a lucky man.

To add to the confusion, about 32 years ago, when we got engaged, I couldn't afford much in the way of a ring. My fiance was not real materialistic and didn't want a diamond anyways since she was a nurse and hated having to take off jewelry when on duty so we settled on a small star sapphire. Twenty years later we bought a diamond that she loves. The funny thing is that she wears the star every day and only wears the diamond on special occasions. She has always said that she measures what is in my heart, not what I put on her finger. Good luck with your decision and advance congratulations.

Congratulations!

I'm not a diamond girl myself, for basically the same reasons you have given. Maybe you'd have better luck purchasing estate jewelry, or shopping at smaller stores which do custom work. There are some really incredible artisans around who design incredible rings just for you, and the prices aren't necessarily outrageous.

Best wishes for a happy life together :)

Great posts mikie patswin and taltos. You nailed it. A house is more important for me right now than an expensive ring. I don't think I will ever want an expensive ring lol I take after my yiayia simple and special. I care more about it being a special moment than anything else. we can always upgrade later if I wanted to.

He's a great guy and we had a rough patch for a little while but it made us stronger and brought us closer. We're ready to start the next phase of our lives and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you all for your input and everything! Ill have to make sure I keep my nails nice and painted from now on so when the day comes at least my nails will look good lololol

This reminds me of the first time I met my cousins ex fiancé. First thing she did was say hi then stick her hand out to show me her ring. I never liked the stupid biatch and she turned out to be a psycho lol

Congratulations, sweetheart!

A few thoughts. You should get what you want, keeping in mind the comments that you may get, as Hawg said. People can be snarky. You may change your mind some day and want a diamond, so you can always get one later and use the stones from whatever ring you get to make a pendant or wear it on another hand.

That being said, a diamond is a symbol. A very expensive one if you want a good stone. They're running around $8500 per for a good quality carat right now, so you can gauge what it might end up costing, significantly less for a lesser quality stone. If you're worried about knocking a stone out, get a basket setting for the stone which doesn't sit high. Leah was worried about the same thing because she's clumsy.

If you do decide on a diamond, don't go to a franchise jeweler like Kay or Long's. Go to the Jewelers Building in Boston. They have the power to deal with you because they're independent. Barmakian has a store in NH, also, but the NH shop doesn't deal as good as the Boston store. But if you pay in cash, tell them to put it through the NH store so they don't charge you sales tax.

Just a thought that doesn't appeal to some people, but there are a lot of people getting divorced that either need the money or don't want the reminder, and they sell their diamonds on Craigslist for significantly less than what they're worth. If you find something local, you should go and look at it and ask to see the papers. You could end up with something for a couple of thousand dollars that might have cost $7500 initially. Just a thought.

Get what you want now, and if you want something different later, you can always do that. I'm so happy for you!

Just a thought that doesn't appeal to some people, but there are a lot of people getting divorced that either need the money or don't want the reminder, and they sell their diamonds on Craigslist for significantly less than what they're worth. If you find something local, you should go and look at it and ask to see the papers. You could end up with something for a couple of thousand dollars that might have cost $7500 initially. Just a thought.

Get what you want now, and if you want something different later, you can always do that. I'm so happy for you!

And if you get one from craigslist, when you go to get it, don't be suprised if you end up getting stabbed and robbed.
icon_axe.gif

Back