Life to Her Years - 50 Rules for Dads of Daughters

I'm proud to say that I already followed most of those and Yes, they work.

And never mind the school bus and college, blink and she's an adult living on the other side of the country :(

Mine is on Oahu. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

It's an excellent post. My daughter is thirty this coming fall and it all goes by so fast. Tempus fugit.

I did most of things and enjoyed it all. But there is a huge MUST missing from the list.

I first read to Anne at roughly ten days old (dumb as it seems) for a short time just for her to hear my voic3 in soothe mode.

I read to her every every single night from thereon. Missing, I imagine no more than ten nights in fourteen years. Even when in High School, i read to her at least three nights a week.

I would read to every night, for as long as she stayed awake or as long as she wanted (i.e., I would stop when she said scram). There many many marathons of 2-3 hours when she just wanted me to keep going. No problem. For example, I read the LOTR triology + Hobbit to her 4 times start to finish. Including the Appendices; Wind in the Willows many times, all the Oz's, and countless more. But I digress.

It's obviously not just for daughters (as are many things on the list). But it is the single greatest thing you can do (imo) period. Countless hours of quiet, private, enriching time that neither you nor she will ever forget. She will learn to love to read (Anne started reading at 4 yrs 3 mos) and she will cherish it as you do. She will read to her kids and they to theirs.

Read every night. It will be among your greatest accomplishments.

Cheers, BostonTim

Mine is on Oahu. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
That's:

On the other side and beyond. :sulk:

But hey, a visit sounds like a great idea!

Anne is at Trinity Rep down in Providence getting me and Lori comped into excellent theater several times a year. We count ourselves among the lucky.

Cheers, BostonTim

I know.:(

She called last night. We talked about everything just to stay on the phone.

Swear to God, it's faster than a blink.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's:

On the other side and beyond. :sulk:

But hey, a visit sounds like a great idea!

Anne is at Trinity Rep down in Providence getting me and Lori comped into excellent theater several times a year. We count ourselves among the lucky.

Cheers, BostonTim

Trinity Rep is top notch.

When my son worked for a big time Broadway producer, he used to get us tickets to some great Broadway shows.

Number 21 reminds me of when I used to go on tow jobs with my dad. He'd let me shift the truck and then when the car was hooked up and ready to go I would raise the car up. I spent a lot of time at my dads garage and going to car shows with him go figure I'm now dating a mechanic lol who is a car genius if I don't say so myself lol

My dad didn't know sports really. Where he grew up they couldn't even afford shoes. By the age 12 he was living away from home working at a machine shop. Age 18 off to the merchant marines. Luckily some of the points made in these posts from tmack my brothers did for me. I'm a lucky girl who grew up with the best parents and brothers a girl could ask for.

Great stuff, thanks. I forwarded it along all over the place. However -

Warning! Note that these are designed to go together, and some can backfire if followed in a vacuum.

For instance, if you do these:
6. Buy her a glove and teach her to throw a baseball. Make her proud to throw like a girl… a girl with a wicked slider.
...took me to every Celts and Sox game that was played and later to Pats games...Sports was always the glue to our bond, and I love him for not treating me like a girl and teaching me everything about sports.

...pics all over Facebook of him and his little girl wearing matching team gear, but that kid is going to adore him forever. Reminds me a lot of me and my dad.
...but neglect these:
1. Love her mom. Treat her mother with respect, honor, and a big heaping spoonful of public displays of affection. When she grows up, the odds are good she’ll fall in love with and marry someone who treats her much like you treated her mother.
2. Always be there. Hang out together for no other reason than just to be in each other’s presence. Be genuinely interested in the things that interest her.
15. Dance with her. Start when she’s a little girl or even when she’s a baby.
18. Tell her she’s beautiful. Say it over and over again.
39. Holding her upside down by the legs while she giggles and screams uncontrollably
...you run the risk of this:

jerseys2.jpg

It's important for them to know that they please you just for being Teh Gurl. If not, they'll push to please someone in your place...

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."
- Theodore Hesburgh

Awesome post tmack. I am glad to say that I followed many of these rules with my daughter after observing my dad follow these rules with my sisters. Thank you for the great memories induced by these rules.:toast:

I'd like to add to those saying this post is awesome. Enjoyed it immensely.

I'm teaching my baby girl to drive a stickshift the past couple of weeks. She got her permit about three weeks ago and has been trying out my 5-speed for two weeks now. It has been a blast.

Great stuff, thanks. I forwarded it along all over the place. However -

Warning! Note that these are designed to go together, and some can backfire if followed in a vacuum.

For instance, if you do these:...but neglect these:...you run the risk of this:

jerseys2.jpg

It's important for them to know that they please you just for being Teh Gurl. If not, they'll push to please someone in your place...

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."
- Theodore Hesburgh

I swear to God I'll slit my wrists if she becomes a Browns fan...

Thanks Tmack

My Dad passed away this summer and that really hit home. He was the best. Well my hubby ain't to bad either. You do kinda marry your dad LOl

~Dee~

I did several of these this weekend. Great thread.

Back