Lockout alters BB's plan

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
Thought this piece from Karen Guregian was worth a thread of it's own:

In his head, Bill Belichick has moved on. The NFL lockout ambles by with no end in sight, as the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled yesterday that the lockout will stay in place until the appeal is heard June 3. The situation continues to infuriate fans. Meanwhile, the Patriots coach has done his best to prepare for the newest realities. As Belichick recently disclosed to the Herald, he has gone from gearing up for offseason activities that almost certainly won’t exist to focusing on a training camp schedule that hopefully will.

“At one point, we had to prepare for the offseason program, and that’s not really a part of it now
,” Belichick said. “We talked about some kind of minicamp or (organized team activities), but now, we just turn our attention to training camp and get our teaching and organization straight there.

Interviewed before the stay was granted, Belichick spoke with resigned sadness. He hates uncertainty, spending endless energy in planning to eliminate it. But he can’t fix the lockout. Instead, he’s done his homework to improve in other areas, such as game-planning for new opponents on the schedule and “a few other little projects” that he believes eventually will serve the team. He’s cracked open his list of possible free agents, veterans and undrafted players, though he’s forbidden from contacting them. And he’s accepted the assumption that, without an offseason, he’ll have to reduce the size of his offensive and defensive playbooks.

“Whatever the time frame is, if it’s less than what we’re used to having, which I agree it seems like it’s going to be, (we’ll adjust),” Belichick said. “We’ll have to take the windows that we have to teach things and try to see how much we feel realistically we can get done. Something’s going to have to go, I would think. The progression’s got to stay the same, but the breadth of that amount of installation could be subject to being trimmed back, maybe drastically.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1338511&srvc=sports&position=4

I think going old school training camp with less mini meetings will show that BB is even more advanced as a coach than the many other imposters out there.

I agree with you, Mikie. BB refuses to accept excuses, as his 'It is what it is' mantra illustrates. He's doing what's necessary to get his team where they need to be, regardless of the time he's given to do it.

I'd like to agree with you guys, but I don't. I am sure BB can adjust and will scale back, but over the years we have heard how hard it is for rookies and FAs to pick up on the system, especially on defense. Maybe we do better with a dumbed down defense. but I have a feeling we will be exposed even more. The beauty of a BB defense is it puts people in position that exposes their strengths and hides their weaknesses (in theory anyway). Not having the time in training camps means less hiding of weaknesses. I hope I am wrong...

I'd like to agree with you guys, but I don't. I am sure BB can adjust and will scale back, but over the years we have heard how hard it is for rookies and FAs to pick up on the system, especially on defense. Maybe we do better with a dumbed down defense. but I have a feeling we will be exposed even more. The beauty of a BB defense is it puts people in position that exposes their strengths and hides their weaknesses (in theory anyway). Not having the time in training camps means less hiding of weaknesses. I hope I am wrong...

But all of the teams have to deal with this, not just NE. I'd bet we fare better than most.

actually this past season I thought BB dumbed it done a bit because of all the kids, those kids are now second year and up players with time in under BB so unless they are a complete idiot (yes you Mr. Spikes) they should know what to do to prepare for the season.

A couple of thoughts:

1. "Over the years we have heard how hard it is for rookies and FAs to pick up on the system, especially on defense." True. But the only rookie on defense who is likely to see much action is Ras-I Dowling, and the Pats aren't likely to need to rely on him the way they did McCourty last year. Also, he had 3 years with Al Groh at Virginia, which should make his ability to learn the playbook somewhat easier.

2. One of the things which stood out last year about Danny Woodhead was how quickly he picked up the playbook. Shane Vereen has a reputation for being extremely smart, both in general and in terms of football smarts. Nate Solder also has a reputation for being very smart and a quick study (3.52 GPA in biology). Those guys probably got a playbook 3 weeks ago and have probably been studying it.

Will BB have to "dumb down" some stuff. Sure. But he already did that last year because he was forced to use so many rookies early on.

I think there is truth to both sides. Defenses like Pitt's that rely more on brawn than brains are definitely going to have an advantage initially. But that really isn't all that different from any year. Just go back and look at performance of the elite defenses in BB's tenure. They all get better as the season progresses because more available film provides more opportunity to leverage your brains.

All that said, it certainly puts a crimp in the young defense's development. Rather than making the leap in 2011 as it seemed they might do, we'll probably have to suffer through a moderate improvement and finally see big progress in 2012.

If the offense can lean on the run a little more when passing yards are tough to come by, even moderate improvement should be enough for this team to be championship caliber. Hell, they were last year.

A couple of thoughts:

1. "Over the years we have heard how hard it is for rookies and FAs to pick up on the system, especially on defense." True. But the only rookie on defense who is likely to see much action is Ras-I Dowling, and the Pats aren't likely to need to rely on him the way they did McCourty last year. Also, he had 3 years with Al Groh at Virginia, which should make his ability to learn the playbook somewhat easier.

2. One of the things which stood out last year about Danny Woodhead was how quickly he picked up the playbook. Shane Vereen has a reputation for being extremely smart, both in general and in terms of football smarts. Nate Solder also has a reputation for being very smart and a quick study (3.52 GPA in biology). Those guys probably got a playbook 3 weeks ago and have probably been studying it.

Will BB have to "dumb down" some stuff. Sure. But he already did that last year because he was forced to use so many rookies early on.
PFT weighs in on this topic.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ill-be-no-minicamps-playbook-will-be-reduced/

They have an elite quarterback and the second longest tenured coach in the league. If they have to drastically reduce their playbook, think about how screwed new coaching staffs will be.

While the lockout may actually help established staffs like New England’s, Belichick sounds as frustrated with litigation as any fan out there.

“It’s obviously a whole big legal thing and these lawyers, they know everything,” Belichick said sarcastically. “I’m sure they have a good reason for everything they do. None of us can figure it out, but I’m sure they can figure it out.”

I have to agree with him here. If you have a great Veteran Quarterback in his twelfth season in the same system and God's own choice for the GOAT head coach - you can bet they'll handle the adjustments better than the rest.

At least I'm betting on it anyway.

Cheers, BostonTim

I forget what year it was, but NE had a three-games-in-11-days scenario, or something similar, and I believe they handled that potential disaster pretty well

I forget what year it was, but NE had a three-games-in-11-days scenario, or something similar, and I believe they handled that potential disaster pretty well

The "3 in 11" thing is pretty meaningless, really. It happens to Dallas and Detroit every year and, now that Thursday night football is more prevelant, it happens to just about every team in the league at some point.

It is just a semantic trick to make something sound more meaningful than it really was. It's just like when someone says something like "Green Bay hasn't lost a game in 6 months!" when 4 of them were in the offseason.

All that said, it certainly puts a crimp in the young defense's development. Rather than making the leap in 2011 as it seemed they might do, we'll probably have to suffer through a moderate improvement and finally see big progress in 2012.

If the offense can lean on the run a little more when passing yards are tough to come by, even moderate improvement should be enough for this team to be championship caliber. Hell, they were last year.

I agree with both points. Which makes me wonder if that factored into BB's priorities with the recent draft.

I agree with both points. Which makes me wonder if that factored into BB's priorities with the recent draft.

I'd imagine it impacted the decision to shy away from the OLB position. When you already view that as a 2-3 year conversion, the prospect of losing one of those years can't be too promising.

I have to agree with him here. If you have a great Veteran Quarterback in his twelfth season in the same system and God's own choice for the GOAT head coach - you can bet they'll handle the adjustments better than the rest.
I think any team with a new head coach, or a new coordinator, is going to be at a disadvantage early in the season, trying to install a new system.

This ^. There was some previous discussion of this.

I can Imagine Bill, way back in September seting up his scouting for the year and saying something like (and let me make a little imaginary story box here):

OK guys, listen up. There may me a great opportunity here to screw the bastards big time. There is a good chance there's a lockout. Kraftie told me and he knows his shit. So we're gonna build two different draft boards, a business as usual draftboard and an "oh shit when do I teach these poor bastards" draft board. The second one we want to: get picks for next year - we're short on that in case you hadn't noticed; we want smart guys with small playbooks we can plug in in spite of the lockout; we want some lo-risk high reward crap-shoots that could payoff big in the future. What we don't want is some alleged future hall of fame Hands on the Ground guy (who can't even find Foxboro on a map) that we need to get up on his hind legs, to cover tight ends and rush the passer. So get on this shit now. Some others might think of it too, come late April.

Cheers, BostonTim

There are more key rookies on offense than defense this year. Judging by their positions, I'd guess BB can dumb down the offense to "Block straight...run straight." Even the rookie QB couldn't screw that up.:coffee:

But...

“It’s obviously a whole big legal thing and these lawyers, they know everything,” Belichick said sarcastically. “I’m sure they have a good reason for everything they do. None of us can figure it out, but I’m sure they can figure it out.”

What's hard to figure out? The Lawyers are getting paid by the hour.

Teams like the Pats will be at a huge advantage early in the season if the lockout alters mini-camp or training camp.

Teams like the Pats will be at a huge advantage early in the season if the lockout alters mini-camp or training camp.

Offensively maybe.

But definitely not defensively. BB's teams always get better as the season moves along defensively. And that is with significant practice time. Limit that and the playbook and reps will be limited, not allowing BB to bring different looks and coverages.

OTOH a team like Indy who just rushes the edges and plays a Cover-2 will be at a great advantage IMO.

There was an article 2 months ago or so on NFP (I think) that detailed the relative length of time it took for a player to learn the various positions. The general consensus was that CB, S and OLB took by far the longest to master aside from QB. WR came next iirc, followed by DL, C, T, G and TE. RB was the easiest of all the positions to master. It does appear, at least on the surface, that BB elected to draft positions with a fast learning curve. Of those positions that take more time he chose a player in Dowling who has been exposed to similar defensive schemes and language the Patriots use since he was schooled by Al Groh. Coincidence? Maybe, but to me, BB consciously drafted with the shortened TC in mind.

Back